MO MO - Melissa Peskey, 40, shot and killed, Boonville, 13 Dec 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well, this just happened early this morning. Not anything in the article to indicate that the person was shot from outside the vehicle but nothing that says it didn't happen that way either.
Woman is found shot and killed in car wrecked on I-70 in Kansas City’s downtown loop

“Police are investigating the death of a woman found shot inside a car on a ramp in Kansas City’s downtown loop early Wednesday.

Police responded just after 3 a.m. to a traffic wreck on the ramp from westbound Interstate 70 to northbound Interstate 29/35 on the east side of the downtown loop.”

Snip

“Police closed the ramp near the exit to Troost Avenue...”

Highway patrol still trying to solve mysterious I-70 killing

“Like many stretches of Interstate 70 through mid-Missouri, nothing spectacular in the way of attractions or landforms stands out at the 96-mile marker in Cooper County.

Barren fields encompass both side of the roadway and a few farmhouses can bee seen off in the distance. The Lamine River passes through as well, but to the traveler passing by today nothing would indicate that a month ago a woman was killed in full view of her two children near the small sign that counts the miles between the state’s two major cities.“

Snip

“This investigation started about a month ago and we can confidently say this was not an accident,” White said. “This was not an errant bullet from a hunter in the area or anything like that. Now, it brings us down to was it random or was she targeted for some reason. And right now, we are still gathering facts and in the process of going through a lot of information.”“

Well, this just happened early this morning. Not anything in the article to indicate that the person was shot from outside the vehicle but nothing that says it didn't happen that way either.
Woman is found shot and killed in car wrecked on I-70 in Kansas City’s downtown loop

More on this story:

71-year-old woman found shot and killed in car wrecked on I-70 in KC’s downtown loop

“Police responded just after 3 a.m. to a traffic wreck on the ramp from westbound Interstate 70 to northbound Interstate 29/35 on the east side of the downtown loop.”

More on this story:

71-year-old woman found shot and killed in car wrecked on I-70 in KC’s downtown loop

“Police responded just after 3 a.m. to a traffic wreck on the ramp from westbound Interstate 70 to northbound Interstate 29/35 on the east side of the downtown loop.”
This sounds like she was NOT shot while in the car, but was discovered in a car, having been shot. I wonder if she was trying to drive herself or someone was trying to drive her to a hospital when the accident happened? I am certain there is ample coverage by CCTV being in the downtown metro area.

This sounds like she was NOT shot while in the car, but was discovered in a car, having been shot. I wonder if she was trying to drive herself or someone was trying to drive her to a hospital when the accident happened? I am certain there is ample coverage by CCTV being in the downtown metro area.

This is an interesting out of the box thought, that she had been shot beforehand. Honestly I’m getting the impression from the article that she was shot while driving, but you’re right that this is not officially stated.
Doing more research.

—-

There’s a good image of the location at the below link:

“A homicide investigation is underway after officers investigating a crash found the body of a woman inside a car on a ramp in Kansas City’s downtown loop. The woman had been shot. This Google Maps Street View image of the area is from June.GOOGLE MAPS”

“Police closed the ramp near the exit to Troost Avenue for several hours while detectives investigated her death.”

—-

ETA: (note the words “in that area” below:

Woman, 71, found shot to death inside crashed vehicle

“Police asking anyone who may have seen something unusual in that area to call CrimeStoppers
KMBC Updated: 8:46 PM CST Jan 16, 2019”

Last edited:
My opinion at the moment is that even IF both of these incidents were random (Melisa and Barbara (“She was later identified by police as Barbara Harper.“ ), it doesn’t necessarily mean they are the same shooter.

It seems that in NOCO it’s turning out that we had 2 random shooters operating at the same area in the same time.

Which beings me to a point of distinction again re: if Melissa’s incident was random:

It must be differentiated between a “random shooting” and a “serial random shooter”, meaning that even if this was a random shooting, this doesn’t necessarily mean that it was the work of a “serial random shooter”. Hope that makes sense.

In the posted above, (and again not to be confused with the KC serial hwy shooter from 2014), in 2017 the article states there were shootings but they have not been linked to each other (pulling article). Again, there is so much violence going on these days.

From September 2017:
Series of shootings on KC-area highways not linked, police say

—I wonder if ballistics might get a hit to link Barbara’s shootings to any of these other shootings in KC?!

—-
ETA:
So as I stated before there are so many of these types of incidents these days (unsolved shootings)—I was just now googling Barbara shot on I 70 or something like that and came across this (totally unrelated)—this nut job was just out drunk and decided to shoot his gun out the window into the air :eek:

CSP: Drunk passenger shoots gun from car on I-70

This further helps express my point that a random shooting doesn’t necessarily mean a serial random shooter. However IMO IF this IS a random shooting, then I would lean towards the “random serial shooter” subclassification, moo.

Which, just a note of mention, this brings me to the element of buildings being shot up which were mentioned by LE as potentially being connected in NOCO, just wanted to make a note:
Northern Colorado Shooting Task Force

—-

Researching shootings incidents is depressing with infinite results - while sometimes random serial shooters can have different MOs (as in the case of linked victims CR (in vehicle on highway) and JJ (on bicycle on country road) -With that being said I don’t want to get overwhelmed/lose focus so will maybe try to keep focus narrow at this point, highway shootings.

(Another example of an infinitely depressing gun violence google result with innocent victims:
Child shot three times at Kansas City Price Chopper )

Last edited:
There was an arrest in the shooting of the 71 year old woman.
71-year-old woman killed in KC shooting was victim of mistaken identity, police think

Murder charges filed Thursday against a man accused in the shooting said the victim, Barbara Harper, may have been shot after being mistaken for someone else who was involved in an earlier shooting incident near a Kansas City strip club.​

Surveillance camera footage from the area of the shooting led Kansas City police to 25-year-old Dakkota Siders, according to court documents.​

Siders, of Independence, was charged Thursday in Jackson County Circuit Court with second-degree murder, unlawful possession and use of a firearm and delivery of a controlled substance.​

Another article ... hopefully they have run both of this guy's guns for ballistics just to eliminate this angle in the Peskey case.

Police say 71-year-old woman shot, killed in Kansas City drove car similar to murder suspect’s intended target

They heard gunshot sounds on another video which allegedly showed Siders' vehicle after investigators matched up license plates. Officers conducted a stakeout at a home and arrested Siders, who pulled into the driveway driving the same vehicle seen on surveillance. He was found with a 9 mm handgun in his waistband and another under his armpit. They also found him with a large amount of cash, and three pounds of marijuana inside the home he pulled up to.​

There was an arrest in the shooting of the 71 year old woman.
71-year-old woman killed in KC shooting was victim of mistaken identity, police think

Murder charges filed Thursday against a man accused in the shooting said the victim, Barbara Harper, may have been shot after being mistaken for someone else who was involved in an earlier shooting incident near a Kansas City strip club.​

Surveillance camera footage from the area of the shooting led Kansas City police to 25-year-old Dakkota Siders, according to court documents.​

Siders, of Independence, was charged Thursday in Jackson County Circuit Court with second-degree murder, unlawful possession and use of a firearm and delivery of a controlled substance.​

So this is the second shooting recently possibly attributed to mistaken identity, the other one was Jazmine Barnes.

(All these shootings...o/t CO has had 3 officer involved shootings in 24 hours and 10 total in 8 days.
Source:
Colorado has seen 10 officer-involved shootings in 8 days )

—-

Another article ... hopefully they have run both of this guy's guns for ballistics just to eliminate this angle in the Peskey case.

Police say 71-year-old woman shot, killed in Kansas City drove car similar to murder suspect’s intended target

They heard gunshot sounds on another video which allegedly showed Siders' vehicle after investigators matched up license plates. Officers conducted a stakeout at a home and arrested Siders, who pulled into the driveway driving the same vehicle seen on surveillance. He was found with a 9 mm handgun in his waistband and another under his armpit. They also found him with a large amount of cash, and three pounds of marijuana inside the home he pulled up to.​

Just awful.

RIP Ms. Barbara.

Last edited:
Sort of makes you want to lock yourself up in the house and never go outside again.

It scares me to death. You cant even drive anywhere without worrying you may be targeted just because you drive a certain vehicle someone may think belongs to someone else.

Or if someone just wants to shoot and kill someone who has done nothing wrong.

It's as terrifying as all of the deadly home invasions now.

Ugghh.

Imo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaravpatel