GUILTY MO - Mengqi Elledge, 28, found deceased, Columbia, 9 Oct 2019 *husband arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
“On Friday City of Columbia Spokesperson Steve Sapp said Menqi's husband, Joseph Elledge, 23, of Columbia, was arrested for abuse or neglect of a child and was currently incarcerated at the Boone County Jail.

Sapp said "during the course of the missing person investigation, evidence of child abuse and neglect was discovered."

Police: Disappearance of Columbia woman now a criminal investigation

I wish they would ever give us a shred of reasoning when they decide to switch to criminal/foul play. I’m usually (unfortunately?) extremely critical of the Boyfriend or husband, but I did not get “the feeling” in the interview. He seemed very nerdy, kinda awkward but above all, very proud of his wife. He could also be an incredible actor or liar though... just waiting to see if they’re thinking it’s him or something else altogether..
Police arrest missing woman's husband for abuse or neglect of a child
The husband of missing Columbia woman, Menqi Ji Elledge, is in the Boone County Jail for abuse or neglect of a child.
According to the jail's website, his bail is set at $500,000.
Columbia Police Spokesperson Steven Sapp said evidence of child abuse and neglect was discovered during the course of the missing person investigation.

I wish they would ever give us a shred of reasoning when they decide to switch to criminal/foul play. I’m usually (unfortunately?) extremely critical of the Boyfriend or husband, but I did not get “the feeling” in the interview. He seemed very nerdy, kinda awkward but above all, very proud of his wife. He could also be an incredible actor or liar though... just waiting to see if they’re thinking it’s him or something else altogether..

This is good reminder that the very brief "impressions" we get of the significant other in missing persons cases makes it really impossible to determine guilt or innocence. Thankfully LE can dig in, interview and do a much better job than those of us watching media clips.

I do think there is an unfortunate possibility of foreign woman falling prey to more controlling partners who may be attracted to their geographical isolation - abusers work to isolate their partner from family and friends, but if their partner is already removed from their social structure, the abuser's work is made easier. (See this thread for an example: CO - CO - Jepsy Amaga Kallungi, 26, Colorado Springs, 21 March 2019)

In this case, I also had the impression that it could be a socially awkward male who related better to someone not from here. With the announcement of these new charges, I am much,much more concerned for Menqi and feeling horrible for her family and friends.

Well I guess he's a good actor huh? I just didn't get that vibe from him when he did that video!!

Wonder what kind of abuse or neglect we are talking about? Poor sweet thing!! Very telling that it's now a criminal investigation :(

So sick to my stomach over this... I really felt so differently before and I’m having trouble accepting something so drastically different from my gut feeling lol
NOT trying to defend him at all, I had just been happy that for once it really did seem like someone needing a breather before showing back up.. I had higher hopes than I normally do and that’s hard to let go of :(

UPDATE: Missing woman's parents react after husband's arrest for child abuse

The parents of missing Columbia woman Mengqi Ji Elledge sent KOMU a reaction after hearing their daughter's husband was in jail.

In a statement to KOMU, Ke Ren and Xiaolin Ji said, "We are deeply disturbed by the news that our granddaughter Anna was abused by her father while her mother, our daughter Mengqi, has gone missing for over two weeks."
"We are gravely concerned about the well-being of Anna and would like to help look after Anna before her mother safely returns home."

So sick to my stomach over this... I really felt so differently before and I’m having trouble accepting something so drastically different from my gut feeling lol
NOT trying to defend him at all, I had just been happy that for once it really did seem like someone needing a breather before showing back up.. I had higher hopes than I normally do and that’s hard to let go of :(

Re-listen to the interview ... it raises all kinds of alarms in hindsight, including what he says about Anna!
Husband of missing Columbia woman speaks on her disappearance

Yes I have quite the feeling this has taken a huge turn for the worse... imo LE has a lot of evidence and info that they won’t be releasing for awhile... hope Anna is with Mengqi’s parents at this point!
Sigh :(
I wonder exactly when he found out she was “talking to other people” and if he found out she was indeed meeting up with someone the next day and he snapped...

Yes I have quite the feeling this has taken a huge turn for the worse... imo LE has a lot of evidence and info that they won’t be releasing for awhile... hope Anna is with Mengqi’s parents at this point!
Sigh :(
I wonder exactly when he found out she was “talking to other people” and if he found out she was indeed meeting up with someone the next day and he snapped...

BBM

yeah like the nurse-educators at the WIC office? Folks at the domestic violence relief office?

The news link shows the complex' video surveillance sign. Wonder if we'll find out what the camers recorded? Anyone think ME left under her own power?

JMHO YMMV

Neighbors react to missing woman's husband arrest

Neighbors said they are shocked after a missing Columbia woman's husband, Joseph Elledge, was arrested for abuse or neglect of a child.

Taryn Winkie, who lives in their same apartment complex, said she never expected this to occur in her quiet subdivision.

"I thought this was a relatively safe area, then you come home at 9 o'clock dead at night and there's police cars everywhere and people in the lake," she said.

Taylor Frantz, who also lives in the same apartment complex, said they were a quiet couple.

Husband of missing woman charged with child abuse

[...]

Court document say a witness recieved a call from Mengqi in February. Mengqi told the witness she had found bruising on the child, and Joseph had denied any knowledge of the cause at the time. The witness showed police the picture Mengqi had sent.

According to court documents, officers located pictures on Mengqi's personal tablet of bruising on the child that she had sent via email. Other photos were found, but could full size photos could not be accessed because officers believe they could have been erased.

Photos and videos of the bruising were also found on Mengqi's laptop by investigators.

[...]

The court documents say during the time between when Joseph said his wife went missing and the time he made the report, he took a "long drive through unfamiliar remote areas of Missouri."

Husband of missing woman allegedly planned to leave town
Police serving a search warrant on the couple’s Columbia, Missouri, apartment Friday allegedly found Joseph Duane Elledge, 24, attempting to leave town with his mother and child.

Joseph Elledge, who has relatives in the Kansas City area, allegedly told police that he last saw his wife when she went to bed about 11:30 p.m. Oct. 8 at their apartment where they live with their infant daughter.

Elledge also allegedly did not tell anyone his wife missing for more than 24 hours and took actions during that time that were consistent with concealing evidence, according to court documents.

Mengqui Elledge’s whereabouts remain unknown.

Husband of missing woman charged with child abuse

[...]

Court document say a witness recieved a call from Mengqi in February. Mengqi told the witness she had found bruising on the child, and Joseph had denied any knowledge of the cause at the time. The witness showed police the picture Mengqi had sent.

According to court documents, officers located pictures on Mengqi's personal tablet of bruising on the child that she had sent via email. Other photos were found, but could full size photos could not be accessed because officers believe they could have been erased.

Photos and videos of the bruising were also found on Mengqi's laptop by investigators.

[...]

The court documents say during the time between when Joseph said his wife went missing and the time he made the report, he took a "long drive through unfamiliar remote areas of Missouri."

A "long drive through unfamiliar remote areas of Missouri"....that cinches it for me! It doesn't take much imagination to reach a conclusion as to what he was doing in remote areas of Missouri. I hope his phone gives them a route to follow....

Terrifying... I’m so sad to hear this, I too hope there’s plenty of digital evidence and that they can find her
soon for some closure. I’m glad she told a friend and gave them that evidence but I’m so so sad that she wasn’t able to escape her “husband”
This happens all too much, I’m so sorry to mengqi’s family and friends, and I’m so sorry that Mengqi and Anna had to go through any of this..

A "long drive through unfamiliar remote areas of Missouri"....that cinches it for me! It doesn't take much imagination to reach a conclusion as to what he was doing in remote areas of Missouri. I hope his phone gives them a route to follow....
So his Mom was going to help him flee? Sounds like they have an idea where to search :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliver
Back