MO - Off-duty officer (Katlyn Alix) shot dead by on-duty officer (Nathaniel Hendren), Jan 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote snipped by me

Thanks for your insight and analysis. I remember listening to my family's police scanner decades ago, and if a patrol unit/officer needed to stop by his home or even just take a "break" outside their usual zone, they would ask for permission over the radio. IIRC, there was a particular number-code that applied.

For instance, I would hear their request as "Unit 290 requesting a 99 at 00 Baker Street" IMO
Is that still a "thing" with police agencies? If you know, of course! :)

If it’s miles and miles away from your beat courtesy would dictate that you ask your supervisor. If it’s not very far then you just do it. Now all of that applies to a city department.

If you work in a rural county it might be just you and Joe covering a lot of territory. In that case there is a lot more freedom and it really doesn’t matter where you go.

Russian roulette is a way to justify the shooting as accidental. "See, we were just playing a game..."

Not buying what the partner is selling.
The more I think about it, I think it's true that they were playing RR. That doesn't explain why these two were goofing off instead of out on patrol. <modsnip - no link for facts > Sgts in a large city PD are usually gray-haired old guys with 10-20-30 years in, experienced, keep the young guys in line. Fail all the way around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ashli Lincoln

‪#BREAKING: @stlcao has filed charges against @SLMPD Officer Nathaniel Hendren. He’s facing an involuntary manslaughter and armed criminal action charge in the shootings death of off duty officer Katlyn Alix. ‬
‪Court docs say the two were playing Russian roulette.‬

View attachment 165914View attachment 165911
The address is listed on the document.

Per Zillow, this is a two-unit duplex structure. I wonder who owns the building and who rents the other unit, were they home, did they hear anything?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/750-Dover-Pl-Saint-Louis-MO-63111/2955636_zpid/

IS1u65d7407rjj7.jpg

If it’s miles and miles away from your beat courtesy would dictate that you ask your supervisor. If it’s not very far then you just do it. Now all of that applies to a city department.

If you work in a rural county it might be just you and Joe covering a lot of territory. In that case there is a lot more freedom and it really doesn’t matter where you go.
But the partner in this case is the supervisor, SGT Hellmeier.

It's one thing to stop home while on duty for a legitimate purpose... quite another to be there to socialize and play Darwin Award games.

Who said this story is like a Wambaugh novel?

In the medium-sized city where my BIL works, the city is divided into 4 quadrants (Patrol East,etc). Within those quadrants there are beats, a number of blocks that officers are assigned to. It would not be at all unusual to be in a different beat. It WOULD be unusual to be in a different Patrol area. I wonder how St. Louis defines their districts. And were they on a lunch break?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.st...4a9e9c9a-0b41-56e3-9f11-41b547a2e4dc.amp.html

Every article is missing something, but this one seems quite comprehensive.

The shot went off at 12:56 am? Or that is when it was called in.

The officers drove Alix to the hospital, and Officer Hendren (shooter) apparently "head butted the police SUV and shattered the windshield, he is currently in the hospital, condition unknown".

So, you shoot your friend, put her in the back of a police car? Why not call an ambulance? Then, you decide to headbutt the windshield? This really makes no sense.

Thank you. I’m not conflicted on this case. I was one of the first to call this thing as suspicious.

Thank you.

Not conflicted in fact I may have been one of the first to call this a shaky case. I’ve been trying to explain to the other guy that being outside your beat is a very common thing (not for meeting with an attractive coworker) and that not immediately locking someone up in a similar case is not unusual.

Thank you for your opinions and analysis in this case.

Last edited:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.st...4a9e9c9a-0b41-56e3-9f11-41b547a2e4dc.amp.html

The officers drove Alix to the hospital, and Officer Hendren (shooter) apparently "head butted the police SUV and shattered the windshield, he is currently in the hospital, condition unknown".

So, you shoot your friend, put her in the back of a police car? Why not call an ambulance? Then, you decide to headbutt the windshield? This really makes no sense.
Drugs would explain the head butting and the whole situation. Cocaine? Meth? Bath salts? Spice? Or a combination of drugs. How common is angel dust in Missouri?

Sounds like he understood he'd destroyed several lives including his own. If he busted the windshield with his head the very least he's done is concussed himself. And perhaps even caused a subdural hematoma. That's an incredible force with one's own cranium.

The more I think about it, I think it's true that they were playing RR. That doesn't explain why these two were goofing off instead of out on patrol. <modsnip - no link for facts>. Sgts in a large city PD are usually gray-haired old guys with 10-20-30 years in, experienced, keep the young guys in line. Fail all the way around.

They both had years of experience in the military. The victim was previously a military police officer in the army. The other was a Marine. They both had years of experience beyond civilian LE. A child knows better than to play Russian Roulette. Two cops playing that...I don't buy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drugs would explain the head butting and the whole situation. Cocaine? Meth? Bath salts? Spice? Or a combination of drugs. How common is angel dust in Missouri?

Or your partner was so angry they got into a fight? It takes a significant amount of force to shatter a windshield.

If this guy was playing roulette and then bashes his head into a windshield, he really does merit the "Darwin Award", as someone mentioned previously.

They both had years of experience in the military. The victim was previously a military police officer in the army. The other was a Marine. They both had years of experience beyond civilian LE. A child knows better than to play Russian Roulette. Two cops playing that...I don't buy it.
Military experience only improves their application to join the PD. They still go to 6 months of Academy like anyone else. The SGT is the direct supervisor of many patrol officers and vehicles. He is the backup, the problem solver, the person to radio, and in charge of multiple fluid events on shift. This SGT was incapable of supervising the one guy in his car with him, and was out of the district full of others he was supervising, assisting, checking up on. If Herndon was uncontrollable, the SGT should have contacted the Commander. I expect he is not only losing his rank but his job. His involvement in the situation at all is testimony to his immaturity and inexperience.

Is this a systemic problem with the St Louis PD?

Or your partner was so angry they got into a fight? It takes a significant amount of force to shatter a windshield.

If this guy was playing roulette and then bashes his head into a windshield, he really does merit the "Darwin Award", as someone mentioned previously.
One would think he should have failed the MMPI and other psych evals before he was hired.

They could likely get to the hospital faster by taking her directly., especially with the ability to run hot.

About the head-bash, my speculation is that it was done out of frustration, self-anger. He had to know he was in deep **** at that point - not to mention that his friend was dead at his hand.

IMO/MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member