NOTGUILTY MO - Savannah Leckie, 16, found deceased, Theodosia, 18 July 2017 * mom arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
@Jewels53 0nly when you have time - another month almost has passed - anything new on either one?

TIA! :)
Sorry nothing new on either one. Still says the same thing about waiting on the Court of Appeals.

I found the Court of Appeals Site I am just not sure which one she would have filed under. I don't have time to look right now. I don't know if you can access this site or not.

https://www.courts.mo.gov/page.jsp?id=261

Sorry nothing new on either one. Still says the same thing about waiting on the Court of Appeals.

I found the Court of Appeals Site I am just not sure which one she would have filed under. I don't have time to look right now. I don't know if you can access this site or not.

https://www.courts.mo.gov/page.jsp?id=261

Nope - unfortunately can't access that either. Just take your time - no hurry! And thanks again for checking it out! :)

@Jewels53 - only when you are up to it - to see if there are any updates on these 2?

TIA! :)

Missouri Supreme Court to decide motion in Ozark County murder case

Sept. 27, 2021
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. — This week the Missouri Supreme Court will be deciding how an Ozark County murder trial can move forward.
[.....]
At issue is whether an audio recording Ruud allegedly secretly taped during a conversation with her public defender can be used as evidence in her trial.

Court documents say before Ruud was charged or arrested, she went to speak with staff at the public defender’s office.

Ruud’s counsel claims Ruud recorded the conversation without her public defender knowing.
[.....]
Peat told authorities he discovered the recording more than a year later. After listening to it, Peat notified the prosecutor and voluntarily surrendered the recording to the Ozark County Sheriff’s Office.

When the State sought a ruling as to whether prosecutors could use the recording as evidence in Ruud’s trial, Circuit Judge Calvin Holden ruled the recording could not be used, citing attorney-client privilege.

After several motions and appeals following the ruling, the issue has made its way to the Missouri Supreme Court in Jefferson City.
[.....]
The Missouri Supreme Court will hold a hearing on the motion on Wednesday, September 29th at 9:30 a.m.

Wednesday, Sept. 29th:
*Motions Hearing (@ 9:30am CT) - MO - Savannah Leckie (16) (July 19, 2017, Theodosia) – for *Rebecca Ruud (39/now 42), “mother” arrested & charged (8/21/17) & indicted (9/20/17) with 1st & 2nd degree murder, abuse of a child resulting in death, tampering with evidence & abandonment of corpse. Plead not guilty. Denied bond (10/16/18).
Bench Trial began on 5/18/21 (thru 5/21/21) in Greene County, but was cancelled due to appeal on recording. Jury from Taney County.
Court info from 1/30/18 thru 4/16/21 reference post #795 here:
Found Deceased - MO - Savannah Leckie, 16, Theodosia, 18 July 2017 *Arrests*

5/14/21 Update: The Missouri Supreme Court has ordered Circuit Judge Holden to allow an audio recording that he had previously ruled inadmissible as evidence due to his belief that it was privileged conversation between Ruud and her attorney. Trial back on for 5/18/21.
5/18/21 Update: A bench trial set to begin Tuesday, May 18, for Ruud has been canceled. The cancellation was prompted by a pending appeal of a motion to the Missouri Supreme Court regarding whether prosecutors may use a certain recording as evidence in the murder trial of Ruud. “The court cannot hear this case until a ruling on the appeal of Motion has been made,” the records state. “Counsel to keep the Court up to date with the status of the pending appeal.”
9/27/21 Update: Missouri Supreme Court motions hearing on 9/29/21 @ 9:30am.
*Robert Peat, Jr. (31/now 33) – Pretrial conference hearing on 5/18/21 was cancelled.

Missouri Supreme Court hears argument in Ozark County murder case

Sept. 29, 2021

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (KY3) - The case of an Ozark County woman accused of killing her daughter and burning the remains went in front of the Missouri Supreme Court Wednesday.

A prosecutor charged Rebecca Ruud in 2017 for the death of 16 year-old Savannah Leckie.
[.....]
However there’s a question about a recording in which prosecutors say she admits to some of the crimes.

The case was moved to Greene County where a judge ruled that the recording can’t be introduced as evidence during trial.

Prosecutors appealed to a higher court hoping to get that decision tossed out.
[.....]
But the panel of Missouri Supreme Court judges is raising questions about Ruud’s actions.

“She intentionally gave it away with, at least the record doesn’t indicate instructions about keeping it confidential,” said one judge.

Welborn said, “Correct but also no conversations regarding what was in the box or what was actually the contents of the recording.”

Welborn says the defendant never intended for the information in the recording to be released.

“In her situation I don’t think silence...I think that was a very reasonable reaction,” she said.

A judge disagrees.
[.....]
Prosecutors are maintaining their stance on the importance of this potential piece of evidence.
[.....]
There’s no time frame in which the court could release its opinion on this matter or how it will impact the murder trial moving forward.

@Jewels53 - just wondering if there is any "new" news on the appeal for Ruud? I'm just getting very old articles over here...

TIA!
citrouille14.gif

17OZ-CR00325 - ST V REBECCA M RUUD

10/19/2017 Judge/Clerk - Note
Case file documents, certified copy of the docket sheets, Change of Venue Transmittal-Costs and Fee Statement were forward to the Taney County Circuit Clerk.
Change of Venue
Associated Entries: 09/29/2017 - Motion Hearing Scheduled
Scheduled For:
10/19/2017; 9:00 AM ; DAVID PAUL EVANS; Ozark
Order
Defendant appears with attorney, and State by prosecuting attorney. Case is called. On defendant's motion, venue is transferred to Taney County, Missouri. The court notes for the record that counsel for the state and prosecuting attorney agree to hear motions in Ozark County, but that decision will be made by the trial judge. Defense counsel is also requesting hearing on her motion for pretrial release. So ordered: David Evans

10/17/2017 Motion Filed
Defendants Motion to Set Conditions of Pretrial Release; Electronic Filing Certificate of Service.
Filed By: LAUREN KATE WELBORN
On Behalf Of: REBECCA M RUUD

10/11/2017 OCN Filed

09/29/2017 Motion Hearing Scheduled
Associated Entries: 10/19/2017 - Change of Venue
Scheduled For:
10/19/2017; 9:00 AM ; DAVID PAUL EVANS; Ozark
Order
Order signed by Judge David P Evans filed.

09/28/2017 Order
Comes now the Supreme Court of Missouri and enters its Order of temporary transfer of Honorable David P Evans, Judge of the 37th Judicial Circuit to preside as Special Judge, also his official court reporter is ordered transferred.
Judge Assigned

Case.net: - Docket Entries

@Niner I don't know if this is the new case number or not. There was nothing new under the old case number. This was the most current information.

Jewels53 said:
17OZ-CR00325 - ST V REBECCA M RUUD

Is this the case # you couldn't find?
Greene County #1746-CR02630

I don't have anything on the one you posted. That's a new # on me!

Here's the last one you posted that you did find for the # I mentioned.

1746-CR02630 - ST V REBECCA M RUUD

05/17/2021 Hearing/Trial Cancelled
The Bench Trial date of 5/18/20 is quashed due to pending appeal of Motion with the Supreme Court. The court cannot hear this case until a ruling on the appeal of Motion has been made. Counsel to keep the Court up to date with the status of the pending appeal. Parties notified by e-Notice. Judge Calvin R. Holden /adp
Scheduled For: 05/18/2021; 8:30 AM ; CALVIN RAY HOLDEN; Taney

Case.net: - Docket Entries

@Niner

I did make a note of that new case #.

@Jewels53 - finally a ruling from the Supreme Court!!

Supreme Court rules recording can be used in Ruud murder trial

Nov. 9, 2021
The Missouri Supreme Court has ruled that a taped audio recording made by Theodosia resident Rebecca Ruud, who is charged with murdering her 16-year-old daughter Savannah Leckie in 2017 and disposing of the girl’s body, is admissible as evidence.

The decision was announced in a Nov. 9 press release from the court that says:
[you'll have to read that in the article]
[.....]
The recording in question reportedly includes what is believed to be a conversation between Ruud and Missouri Public Defender investigator Nina Lane and legal assistant Kathy Holder. Ruud is said to have secretly taped the discussion she had with the investigator on Aug. 11, 2017.

It’s unclear what, exactly, the conversation reveals, but Peat allegedly told officials he had listened to part of the recording, and in it, he said, Ruud reportedly admits to some of the allegations against her.
[.....]
The recorded conversation occurred before the public defender represented Ruud, and the conversation was recorded without Lane’s knowledge or permission, the document says.

The digital audio recorder has reportedly remained in OCSD possession since it was surrendered and has not been copied to any other medium. No investigative reports, written or oral, have been prepared regarding its contents, other than what was related by Peat in his proffer.

No attorney for the prosecution has listened to the record, the document says.
[.....]
Peat’s next court appearance isn’t scheduled yet and probably won’t be set until after Ruud’s trial.

a lot more in article.

We have a trial date!! Finally!!

Rebecca Ruud case: trial date set for Ozark County woman accused of killing her daughter

Nov. 22, 2021

OZARK COUNTY, Mo. — A trial date has been set for Rebecca Ruud, the woman accused of killing and dismembering her daughter, Savannah Leckie in Ozark County in 2017. Ruud’s bench trial will happen on March 7, 2022.

The Missouri Supreme Court assigned the case to Judge Calvin Holden in 2017. Because the trial is now a bench trial, it will take place in Holden’s courtroom in Greene County.
[.....]
A trial date for Peat has not been set yet. Judge Holden is also the judge on Peat’s case.

So @Jewels53 - any hearing dates before trial on 3/7/22? By the way - that is my late husband's 70th birthday.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hernak
Back