NOTGUILTY MO - Savannah Leckie, 16, found deceased, Theodosia, 18 July 2017 * mom arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Can any of our legal eagles weigh in on the possibility of charging the adoptive parents with neglect? It doesn't seem right to me that they could just "give her back" and not even check on her health and wellbeing. All moo and all that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can any of our legal eagles weigh in on the possibility of charging the adoptive parents with neglect? It doesn't seem right to me that they could just "give her back" and not even check on her health and wellbeing.

So, this would be difficult. Basically, in order to be charged with neglect, it would need to be PROVEN that the adoptive mother knew that Savannah was being abused and chose not to act. If they have evidence that she knew about the physical abuse, there would be a door open to prosecute neglect. But, we know that she didn't simply "give her back", as the family had stayed in touch with RR throughout the years, even doing birthdays and holidays together. There are some who are saying that Savannah asked to go spend time with RR on the farm. And, we do know that the adoptive family was still in contact with both Savannah and RR over the phone, although it was not as frequently as what most parents would think would be expected/normal in that situation.

The way that Missouri's abandonment laws are written, neglect in that way would not apply at all. Based on Minnesota's standards, however, if it can be proven that they knew about the abuse, they could possibly be charged there. Here are some excerpts from Minnesota's neglect laws:
"A parent, legal guardian, or caretaker who knowingly permits the continuing physical or sexual abuse of a child is guilty of neglect of a child and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than one year or to payment of a fine of not more than $ 3,000, or both."
"Endangerment. A parent, legal guardian, or caretaker who endangers the child's person or health by 1) intentionally or recklessly causing or permitting a child to be placed in a situation likely to substantially harm the child's physical, mental, or emotional health or cause the child's death....If the endangerment results in substantial harm to the child's physical, mental, or emotional health, the person may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than five years or to payment of a fine of not more than $ 10,000, or both."

I have followed the 1st 4 cases you mentioned as well as Savanna Greywind. I am just watching and waiting to see if Robert Peat Jr gets arrested

This article explains the 1st degree and 2nd degree murder charges.

Rebecca Ruud, 39, is charged with first-degree murder, abuse of a child resulting in death and second-degree felony murder in the killing of her 16-year-old biological daughter, Savannah Leckie. She is also charged with tampering with physical evidence and abandoning a corpse, said Ozark County Prosecutor John Garrabrant. He declined to say whether anyone else would be charged, but Sheriff Darrin Reed said the investigation is ongoing and more charges are expected.

http://fox4kc.com/2017/08/23/southe...ged-with-killing-her-daughter-who-had-autism/

I have been following along silently to this horrible murder.

ahhh but we have the missing pills...maybe overdosed her first.
IMO the pills were only mentioned because RP&RR wanted to be able to get a refill on those from the doctor probably because they ate them all!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I don't understand how a mother can have so much hatred towards her child to torture her the way she did! I feel like there has got to be a reason why you'd hate your child and torture her! Besides that RR is a raving lunatic! I wonder if Robert peat was inappropriately showing Savannah certain kinds of attention and knowing that RR would choose her man over her daughter and would blame her daughter for any inappropriate touching and fearing that Savannah was going to tell the police about the abuse is why she got killed! My opinion only! What I would like to do to RR would put me in prison and I hope they don't give her the death penalty because I'd rather have her sit in prison and be tortured for the rest of her life rather then get the death penalty because that's letting her off to easy! She should sit and rot in prison for rest of her life!!!!!!

While it is a stretch at the best of times to call Investigation Discovery a "media source" the comments on this link have some unexpected insights, including some folks who went to school with RR. (Briana Griffith) as well as some interesting speculation on RR's wounds as lye burns vs fire burns.

https://www.facebook.com/InvestigationDiscovery/videos/10155258118574902

Sadly the spin isn't great in the video. Homeschooling is set up as "No social contact" (notice what the highlight) and they do lots of "pretty" pics of RR to get a real response from the mugshot.

Quote from link:
The Ozark County Times has learned that a special grand jury is being summoned to investigate the suspected murder of Savannah Leckie, the 16-year-old girl whose burned remains were found earlier this month on an 81-acre farm near Theodosia owned by her biological mother, Rebecca Ruud.

Ozark County prosecuting attorney John Garrabrant filed a request with 44th Judicial Circuit Judge Craig Carter Wednesday, Aug. 23, to convene the grand jury. The following morning, Judge Carter ordered Associate Judge Cynthia MacPherson to empanel and preside over the grand jury beginning at 9 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 5. Fifty summonses are being issued to potential jurors this weekend. From that pool, MacPherson will select 12 grand jurors.

This also opens it up for some interesting repercussions for the adoptive family, as their knowledge that things were NOT going well and they didn't act, is on the record as part of the missing case.

A grand jury indictment carries much more weight in "foreign" courts than a basic probable cause filing.

While it is a stretch at the best of times to call Investigation Discovery a "media source" the comments on this link have some unexpected insights, including some folks who went to school with RR. (Briana Griffith) as well as some interesting speculation on RR's wounds as lye burns vs fire burns.

https://www.facebook.com/InvestigationDiscovery/videos/10155258118574902

Sadly the spin isn't great in the video. Homeschooling is set up as "No social contact" (notice what the highlight) and they do lots of "pretty" pics of RR to get a real response from the mugshot.

Well in this case, the home schooling WAS to limit social contact. While it's true that homeschoolers these days have many opportunities for social contact, it is something that has to be consciously chosen rather than simply having a couple hundred kids with with to socialize just by walking through school doors every day.

I wish Savannah could have come and lived with me. She looks so precious and she needed someone to love her. Thinking of her and all she suffered has made it hard for me to sleep some nights. I think just because I have two teen daughters and an autistic son, so I relate to many things in her life.

This also opens it up for some interesting repercussions for the adoptive family, as their knowledge that things were NOT going well and they didn't act, is on the record as part of the missing case.

A grand jury indictment carries much more weight in "foreign" courts than a basic probable cause filing.

I apologize for being a nit picker. Do you have a link about her adoptive family being tied into this? I can only find articles on how they are all grieving the loss of this angel on earth. She had no outside contact. Only the biological mother had any means to contact anyone.

I know, I know, her adoptive mom needed her out of the home. Teenagers, and all that. But Savannah was invited to live with her adoptive aunt, who lived nearby. Savannah declined her offer. Little Savannah, nor her adoptive family, knew what they were getting into. There is no way this could have been predicted. IMO.

It makes you wonder how vicious the control this monster had over that poor girl. That Savannah was unable to let anyone know what was happening to her. Poor Savannah, who declined her adoptive aunt's offer to come live with her. Savannah was so excited to go live with RR, and she ended up living in hell on earth. Rest in comfort young angel.

(All taken from the listed article, interpreted by me. IMHO as always)

http://www.ozarkcountytimes.com/news/article_1f4200e6-82b0-11e7-99bb-43739362a451.html

I apologize for being a nit picker. Do you have a link about her adoptive family being tied into this? I can only find articles on how they are all grieving the loss of this angel on earth. She had no outside contact. Only the biological mother had any means to contact anyone.

They have said in several articles that Rebecca had told them that Savannah wasn't adjusting and was having issues and that she was finding it a burden financially.

I PERSONALLY don't think they should be charged. BUT a grand jury may look at it differently if there is proof or record of those calls. Certainly the public opinion has been rabidly against them on this score.

They have said in several articles that Rebecca had told them that Savannah wasn't adjusting and was having issues and that she was finding it a burden financially.

I PERSONALLY don't think they should be charged. BUT a grand jury may look at it differently if there is proof or record of those calls. Certainly the public opinion has been rabidly against them on this score.

BBM. I wonder if RR might have told them those things in order to make it more believable that Savannah ran away? When the story was that she ran away they were saying she may be headed to Minnesota. If the info about how Savannah was not adjusting only came from RR and not from Savannah then that could show premeditation. If RR considered Savannah a financial burden that reveals a motive. I do think the adoptive family could be called to testify before the grand jury but IMO they will be used as witnesses to strengthen the case against RR.

I just want to point out that even before Savannah was born, RR made it clear that she, RR, did not want to be a mother.

I am horrified by the course of Savannah's life in the last couple years.

I regret that RR's caring, wonderful decision to release her baby for adoption did not result in different lives for each of them.

JMHO

BBM. I wonder if RR might have told them those things in order to make it more believable that Savannah ran away? When the story was that she ran away they were saying she may be headed to Minnesota. If the info about how Savannah was not adjusting only came from RR and not from Savannah then that could show premeditation. If RR considered Savannah a financial burden that reveals a motive. I do think the adoptive family could be called to testify before the grand jury but IMO they will be used as witnesses to strengthen the case against RR.

I think savannah lived a mostly typical teen life w adoptive mom and bio mom expected a work horse on the ranch. Ppl who aren't raised working hard would not know how to even start.

I just want to point out that even before Savannah was born, RR made it clear that she, RR, did not want to be a mother.

I am horrified by the course of Savannah's life in the last couple years.

I regret that RR's caring, wonderful decision to release her baby for adoption did not result in different lives for each of them.

JMHO
I don't think there can be a caring, wonderful thought coming from a lady that tortured and killed her beautiful , sweet, innocent child and burnt and crushed her bones multiple times! This my opinion only!!

I think somewhere in RR's mind she knew she would not be a good mother, which is why she gave all her children up for adoption. So they could have a better life. This is why I am so upset, the adoptive parents sent the child back to RR. I think several adults are responsible for what happened to Savannah, but doubt anyone else will be charged, except, possibly this husband

Found the time this hearing starts today:

is scheduled to be arraigned at 2:30 p.m. Monday, Aug. 28

from the article in post #526

So - it's about a quarter to 8am - right?

TIA!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back