MO MO - St Louis, BlkFem 8-11, 54UFMO, in abandoned bldg, Feb'83 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Is this the our precious hope one? If so I want to give a huge warning that her body is shown multiple times. The photo is much more graphic than the one that is widely circulated
From my understanding, yes it is, and that's the reason I haven't (and won't) watch it. I obviously support having recognizable post mortems of UIDs available, but that photo is of a headless child, there is no reason for that and I do not want to see it. I appreciate the reminder.

bbm rsbm

100 years ago was 1923. The 1920 & 1930 federal census scans are a great resource. 1890 was mostly lost in a fire, sadly.

Record keeping problems are just part of genealogy. A shame that the identified relatives reacted as they did.

To me, suggests that those relatives may know something(s) we don't know.

jmho ymmv lrr
Hey stated it wrong. Bothe had passed when they were a hundred years old

God, this case haunts me so much. It’s like the sick *advertiser censored**wipe who killed this poor girl did everything in their power to make sure this little girl goes nameless. Cutting off her head and placing it somewhere where they still haven’t found it after 40 YEARS!

She was tall for her age. I wonder if she was actually a bit older than 8-11. Her height estimate is about 4’10”-5’6” (with the head). That’s pretty tall for a prepubescent girl. I was always short. At 13 I was 4’10”. I’m 5’2” now at 16. It strikes me that she was possibly killed by a family member. She weighed just 70-80 pounds despite being 4’10”-5’6”. That’s scarily low. Was she starved or abused? Perhaps trafficked?

It strikes me that she may be a bit older, more like 10-13. She’s a bit too tall to be 8 or 9. Maybe she was just a late bloomer. Perhaps her breasts had not developed as early as most girls. I’m a late bloomer myself and although I am done growing, I didn’t get my period until I was 14. I’m still flat as a board. Most late bloomers also are a bit taller as they grow for longer.

God, this case haunts me so much. It’s like the sick *advertiser censored**wipe who killed this poor girl did everything in their power to make sure this little girl goes nameless. Cutting off her head and placing it somewhere where they still haven’t found it after 40 YEARS!

She was tall for her age. I wonder if she was actually a bit older than 8-11. Her height estimate is about ”4'10"-5'6” (with the head). That’s pretty tall for a prepubescent girl. I was always short. At 13 I was 4’10”. I’m 5’2” now at 16. It strikes me that she was possibly killed by a family member. She weighed just 70-80 pounds despite being 4’10”-5’6”. That’s scarily low. Was she starved or abused? Perhaps trafficked?

It strikes me that she may be a bit older, more like 10-13. She’s a bit too tall to be 8 or 9. Maybe she was just a late bloomer. Perhaps her breasts had not developed as early as most girls. I’m a late bloomer myself and although I am done growing, I didn’t get my period until I was 14. I’m still flat as a board. Most late bloomers also are a bit taller as they grow for longer.
The documentary on her bought up that she may have been measured incorrectly (I have a post about it on page 7 of this thread), so while she may have been 4'10 to 5'6, she may have possibly been about 5 inches shorter than that. I'm not ruling out that the listed height is correct and she may in fact have been a late bloomer and older, I just feel like it's an interesting point to bring up

The documentary on her bought up that she may have been measured incorrectly (I have a post about it on page 7 of this thread), so while she may have been 4'10 to 5'6, she may have possibly been about 5 inches shorter than that. I'm not ruling out that the listed height is correct and she may in fact have been a late bloomer and older, I just feel like it's an interesting point to bring up
Maybe. It’s definitely harder to estimate her height because she was decapitated.

I'm sure I'm in the minority in saying this but even if she was between 4'10 and 5'6 and not measured incorrectly, I really don't think it's that unusual. I was 5'6 at 12 years old, 5'2 at 10, about 4'10 at 8/9 (I had a big growth spurt lol) and I'm 5'8 as an adult, taller than the average American woman but not by that much, and I see a lot of women taller than me out there. I was one of the taller kids in my classes around that age, but never the tallest, not even the tallest girl. Since she was estimated at 8-11 y/o I don't think her height was anything crazy. I think it is possible either way that the height may have been measured incorrectly or that she may have just been on the taller side.

I'm sure I'm in the minority in saying this but even if she was between 4'10 and 5'6 and not measured incorrectly, I really don't think it's that unusual. I was 5'6 at 12 years old, 5'2 at 10, about 4'10 at 8/9 (I had a big growth spurt lol) and I'm 5'8 as an adult, taller than the average American woman but not by that much, and I see a lot of women taller than me out there. I was one of the taller kids in my classes around that age, but never the tallest. Since she was estimated at 8-11 y/o I don't think her height was anything crazy. I think it is possible either way that the height may have been measured incorrectly or that she may have just been on the taller side.

In art, there is are formulas for proportion -- most adult humans are 7 to 7 1/2 heads tall, while a toddler is about 4 heads tall. A child would be between, somewhere. This information was likely a factor in setting up the age bracket for this unfortunate young lady.

Warning: nude sketch on this page, but the information is good:

I expect LE uses information like this? We also know that if 'information' is recorded or estimated poorly at the very beginning -- there is rarely an update imho.

jmho ymmv lrr

She was tall for her age. I wonder if she was actually a bit older than 8-11. Her height estimate is about 4’10”-5’6” (with the head). That’s pretty tall for a prepubescent girl. I was always short. At 13 I was 4’10”. I’m 5’2” now at 16. It strikes me that she was possibly killed by a family member. She weighed just 70-80 pounds despite being 4’10”-5’6”. That’s scarily low. Was she starved or abused? Perhaps trafficked?

She was thought to be actually 9

I'm sure I'm in the minority in saying this but even if she was between 4'10 and 5'6 and not measured incorrectly, I really don't think it's that unusual. I was 5'6 at 12 years old, 5'2 at 10, about 4'10 at 8/9 (I had a big growth spurt lol) and I'm 5'8 as an adult, taller than the average American woman but not by that much, and I see a lot of women taller than me out there. I was one of the taller kids in my classes around that age, but never the tallest, not even the tallest girl. Since she was estimated at 8-11 y/o I don't think her height was anything crazy. I think it is possible either way that the height may have been measured incorrectly or that she may have just been on the taller side.
You're absolutely correct. We really have no right or wrong statements on her true height, she may have been very tall for her age, she may have not. I think the key thing we need to remember is that she didn't reach puberty, so she wouldn't have had the growth spurt from that. Unfortunately we just can't 100% confirm her height :(

You're absolutely correct. We really have no right or wrong statements on her true height, she may have been very tall for her age, she may have not. I think the key thing we need to remember is that she didn't reach puberty, so she wouldn't have had the growth spurt from that. Unfortunately we just can't 100% confirm her height :(
I have always wondered if they took delayed puberty or other genetic or environmental conditions into account when making these observations about her development into guesses about her age.

I have always wondered if they took delayed puberty or other genetic or environmental conditions into account when making these observations about her development into guesses about her age.

The ME likely uses all the information gleaned from the remains.

Dentition & bone/skeletal development are central to determining the age of a decedent. The transitions across the human lifespan are well known.

North Americans have what are known as 12-year molars, but those won't help us here.

Pelvic changes -- or rather the lack of pelvic changes -- probably was a factor is setting the age range for this young lady. When different portions of out bones harden is very orderly. Wrists are one place this happens at specific intervals.

Certainly there is variation -- but population norms are used because they are most often accurate.

Yeah, that undergraduate degree in Human Development comes in handy.

jmho ymmv lrr

The documentary is now available on youtube for anyone interested. Towards the end CeCe Moore explained the difficulties identifying her. One thing she's a minority and in GEDmatch, which she primarily works with there is considerably less representation from blacks and its much smaller then other geneology databases like ancestry, 23 and Me and Myheritage but their terms of service don't allow LE to use them, not even for cases like these.

She mentiones that around 40 million Americans or 2/10 have run a test in one of these databases and if they would have been accessible she would have been identified already But she can only use GEDmatch and Family tree DN and she only got public access so she only sees what others can see.

Like you may know, they have to create a family tree from scratch with alot of diffrent Dna samples and its's time consuming and complicated at times depending on how close of far away the matches are. Sometimes the narrowest hit can be a distant third cousin

However, they had 2 very promising matches but she learned that unfortunately both were around 100 years ago and unfortunately when you work with blacks in america that old, slavery is a factor and with slavery comes bad public records that comlicated things considerably. Building a family tree from a common ancestor born into slavery is hard. She reached out to the granddaughter to one of the matches but she refused to collaborate and didnt want anyone to ever call her again, even removing the record from GEDmatch, while the second lady she contacted ghosted her and never got back despite promising to help when they first spoke.

Another issue shes probably dealing with is family situations like adoptions where someone family tree on paper may not be accuratetley representing their genetic descent. Same thing happened with Grundy County Jane Doe I think. Because she's working with more distant matches she need assistance from the familiesb before she can make a real break in the case.

Her family tree goes back to Texas, Tennessee and Alabama mostly BUT it doesnt necessarily means she's from there beacuse of the great migration. CeCe doesn't even want to rule out that she could have been from St Louis.

I don't think she has been identified yet but hopefuly she will be soon or later
So Cece Moore is working on the St Louis Jane Doe of’83? I just heard about this case and it is devastating. Where can I catch the interview off CeCe talking about it? Thank you!!

So Cece Moore is working on the St Louis Jane Doe of’83? I just heard about this case and it is devastating. Where can I catch the interview off CeCe talking about it? Thank you!!

Scroll back to my post of 10 April and I linked it there.
If you have just heard of this case then it would probably be best if you go back and read the whole thread here (as well as the doco) to understand what has previously been asked/answered, existing theories etc.

On a mild winter day in February 1983, two men rummaged through the basement of a vacant apartment building at 5635 Clemens Avenue in northwest St. Louis. Their purpose, they would later tell police, was to find a metal pipe they could use to fix their broken-down jalopy.
After searching the main floor, the men crept downstairs into the basement. Blinded by the darkness, one of the men flicked a cigarette lighter. The horror revealed by the flame sent them running for the police.

Facedown amid the boiler-room rubble lay the headless body of an African-American female. Naked from the waist down, she wore only a yellow V-neck sweater fitted loosely around her torso. Fingers flecked with chipped crimson-red nail polish, her hands were bound behind her back with a strand of red-and-white nylon rope. Between her shoulders, where her neck used to be, there was only a hack-sawed hole.

When St. Louis homicide detectives Joe Burgoon and Herb Riley arrived, the building was teeming with police. Awaiting crime-scene technicians, the two veteran detectives speculated on the corpse's identity. Maybe, they guessed, she was a prostitute or drug addict from nearby Cabanne Courts, a housing project with a murderous past. It wasn't until technicians at last rolled the body over that they realized she was not a woman, but a pre-pubescent child. Instantly, the mood in that damp cellar turned from morbid curiosity to disgust. A child-killer.

At the time, the FBI called it the only decapitation in the nation involving someone so young.

As police officers searched a sixteen-block area for the girl's head, Burgoon and Riley returned to headquarters to check missing-persons reports. Surely, they thought, the girl's parents or relatives -- someone -- would call to report her missing. With any luck, they'd establish her identity that night and draw up a list of suspects.

The body went unclaimed on a slab in the city morgue for more than a week before it was given the name Jane Doe. For nine months she lay frozen. Finally, on a glum, rainy day in December 1983, she was buried in a pauper's grave in an historic black graveyard in north St. Louis county. At the funeral were a few homicide detectives, the chief medical examiner, and a half-dozen news reporters. Four muddy gravediggers served as pallbearers.

As he was leaving, Herb Riley told a reporter, "I've been involved with her since the day she was found, and I'll be damned if I'm going to stop looking for her killer."
*more at link:

On a mild winter day in February 1983, two men rummaged through the basement of a vacant apartment building at 5635 Clemens Avenue in northwest St. Louis. Their purpose, they would later tell police, was to find a metal pipe they could use to fix their broken-down jalopy.
After searching the main floor, the men crept downstairs into the basement. Blinded by the darkness, one of the men flicked a cigarette lighter. The horror revealed by the flame sent them running for the police.

Facedown amid the boiler-room rubble lay the headless body of an African-American female. Naked from the waist down, she wore only a yellow V-neck sweater fitted loosely around her torso. Fingers flecked with chipped crimson-red nail polish, her hands were bound behind her back with a strand of red-and-white nylon rope. Between her shoulders, where her neck used to be, there was only a hack-sawed hole.

When St. Louis homicide detectives Joe Burgoon and Herb Riley arrived, the building was teeming with police. Awaiting crime-scene technicians, the two veteran detectives speculated on the corpse's identity. Maybe, they guessed, she was a prostitute or drug addict from nearby Cabanne Courts, a housing project with a murderous past. It wasn't until technicians at last rolled the body over that they realized she was not a woman, but a pre-pubescent child. Instantly, the mood in that damp cellar turned from morbid curiosity to disgust. A child-killer.

At the time, the FBI called it the only decapitation in the nation involving someone so young.

As police officers searched a sixteen-block area for the girl's head, Burgoon and Riley returned to headquarters to check missing-persons reports. Surely, they thought, the girl's parents or relatives -- someone -- would call to report her missing. With any luck, they'd establish her identity that night and draw up a list of suspects.

The body went unclaimed on a slab in the city morgue for more than a week before it was given the name Jane Doe. For nine months she lay frozen. Finally, on a glum, rainy day in December 1983, she was buried in a pauper's grave in an historic black graveyard in north St. Louis county. At the funeral were a few homicide detectives, the chief medical examiner, and a half-dozen news reporters. Four muddy gravediggers served as pallbearers.

As he was leaving, Herb Riley told a reporter, "I've been involved with her since the day she was found, and I'll be damned if I'm going to stop looking for her killer."
*more at link:
The discovery of the body was not what really happened.

*more at link:
Also why would the FBI say that when Adam Walsh was younger and 2 years earlier? so the quote is taken out of context Ed for the purposes of the article

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crankymomma
Back