MO MO - St Louis, BlkFem 8-11, 54UFMO, in abandoned bldg, Feb'83

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How sad. I hope they find her & that eventually she can rest in peace. Poor little angel.

New efforts to locate her...

Wash U. researchers help look for slain girl's grave

&#8220;<snip> All of the investigators that have worked on this case through the years have always thought if we could identify her, we could find her killer,&#8221; Fox said, as Stylianou&#8217;s team trudged through decades of overgrown brush nearby.

About three years ago, Graham authorized exhumation of the girl so her body could be moved to the Garden of Innocents, at Calvary Cemetery. Three bodies were found in caskets near her marker, but none was hers. <snip>"

Such a sad case. I hope this all leads to learning her identity and who killed her.

NamUs UP #9894 was recently revised on NamUs and every time I see the page for the unidentified partial skull, I can't help but wonder if there is a connection between the skull and this UID. I know that the timing is off and race and gender are not known, but the age estimate is almost spot on (8 to 12 years old). 5635 Clemens Ave in St. Louis is about 413 miles from Centreville (NamUs didn't specify where in St. Joseph County the skull was found in, so I calculated the distance on Yahoo Maps from the county seat, Centreville, MI).

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/9894

DNA is available, but hasn't been submitted yet.

How ridiculous to mail the sweater to a psychic. Now the only key piece of evidence is gone forever. That sweater could have the killers DNA on it! This little girl deserved better, all around from her sweater being mailed like it was nothing to her grave not being located. I really hope the future of criminology and law enforcement is brighter for other innocent children/adults who fall victim.

http://fox2now.com/2013/06/17/body-of-decapitated-girl-in-30-year-old-case-to-be-exhumed/

I know this is the missing forum - but, in case you aren't familiar with this case (I was not!) -- seems like a logical place to post this info, hope to get it into the hands of someone who might be looking for a little African American girl - wearing nothing but a yellow shirt - found, decapitated with her hands tied behind her back - in 1983.

God rest her soul.

Slain girl's remains found as part of 30-year-old murder investigation

"BERKELEY &#8226; The steady pace of a backhoe peeling back layers of dirt in a cemetery here Monday all but ceased with the discovery of a simple staple."

Well-written piece from today's STL Post-Dispatch. Thank god they found her... Now, to pray that the technological advances of the last 30 years will help them give her back her name.

I'm so glad they finally found the correct remains! Praying that DNA can shed some light on who she is and where she may have come from.

I'm so glad they're exhuming her remains! A high school friend's wife is spearheading the efforts, so I get to hear about it on FB. Pretty cool!

A big thank you to all involved in giving this gal her name back!

So pleased they've managed to find her. I read about this today via the Facebook page for the Grateful Doe and I was certain I recalled the case. Now I've seen the thread again I remember going through it a month or two back. I hope this can lead to some answers.

My thought of using Familial DNA is even more farfetched, being that I propose using the unidentified VICTIM'S DNA to search for a potential match with the father, mother or a sibling having a criminal history where DNA has been taken. As of now Familial DNA using the "traditional method" is still not allowed use in most states so "my method" is certainly farfetched to say the least.

I don't see why they do not take her DNA & send it to a genealogy site to see if there are any relatives already in the database. 23andme is looking to reach 1 million samples of DNA in the next year IIRC. I suggested it to someone from NamUs; so I'm crossing my fingers.

For Abby Stylianou, a research associate with Washington University, it was a particularly emotional conclusion to her lab's latest project.

snip....Charles Fuchs, Stylianou's uncle, alerted his niece to the story, knowing that she does relevant research at Wash. U.

And it was personal, in a way. The case decades ago unfolded just a few blocks from where her parents were living at the time -- and they still remember it today.
http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2013/06/st_louis_jane_doe_decapitated.php?ref=trending

I don't see why they do not take her DNA & send it to a genealogy site to see if there are any relatives already in the database. 23andme is looking to reach 1 million samples of DNA in the next year IIRC. I suggested it to someone from NamUs; so I'm crossing my fingers.

Depending on your state, it's not necessarily legal to do that. If all you're looking for is identity, probably okay. If there's a question of a crime, not so much.

I've tried to post this a few times, but when I hit "post" after typing it all out, I am logged out :( So, I'll make this one quick.

What if....this little girl lived with her mother or grandmother in another state and that particular person passed away, so the little girl was given to her next of kin? Possibly her biological father, an uncle, older brother, etc.

I think the person granted custody (the "perp") lived in St. Louis and specifically in that neighborhood. I do think whoever did this was very familiar with the area.

Let's say the perp went to whatever state the little girl lived in and took custody of her and brought her back to St. Louis. Soon afterward, he sexually assaulted her, then panicked because he was afraid she would say something, so he killed her. Then, panicked again, because he knew she could be traced back to him, so he decapitated her. **Notice she was lying face down in the crime scene photos, so I think it's entirely possible to have cut her head off the way it was if she were laying face down when it was done. Especially with a larger man standing over her and bending down....or from behind. She was well nourished and had fingernail polish on, so maybe she had only been with him a day or two?

This is the only theory I can come up with where no one has ever missed her or looked for her. Her former classmates, friends, neighbors, etc. would probably just assume she was well and good with her next of kin in St. Louis.

How big an undertaking would it be to search (and how would you search) deaths in 1983 where next of kin took custody of an 8-11 year old girl. (however, I think it's possible she is a little bit older).

Thoughts?

It's not the most recent of articles, but no one else has posted it so I figured I'd share:

https://www.stlbeacon.org/#!/content/29664/unsolved_murder_jane_doe

Four gravediggers in muddy overalls were pallbearers for the 5-minute funeral service.

That sentence kills me. In my lifetime, I want to see this little girl to get her name back and for her killer to receive punishment for the horrible things he did to her.

It's not the most recent of articles, but no one else has posted it so I figured I'd share:

https://www.stlbeacon.org/#!/content/29664/unsolved_murder_jane_doe

Four gravediggers in muddy overalls were pallbearers for the 5-minute funeral service.

That sentence kills me. In my lifetime, I want to see this little girl to get her name back and for her killer to receive punishment for the horrible things he did to her.

Losing her grave also ripped my heart out. Her story is heart breaking.
Sounds like they know who killed her; too bad he would not confess.

NamUs DNA Sample submitted - Tests complete
I really hope they tried to add DNA to 23andme ancestry database. It may end up giving them cousins names.

In 2005, St. Louis homicide detective Tom Carroll went to the state prison at Bonne Terre to visit a man on Death Row. Carroll said he hoped and prayed that a twice-condemned killer would confess to the Jane Doe case before his execution by the state.

Vernon Brown was facing execution for strangling 9-year-old Janet Perkins in St. Louis in 1986. He also was under a separate death sentence for killing Synetta Ford, 19, in St. Louis in 1985; her head was nearly severed with a large knife.

In addition, Brown was charged in Indiana was the killing of a 9-year-old girl in 1980; she was tied, beaten, sexually assaulted and strangled.

"Personally, I believe he did it," Carroll said of Brown at the time.

"It was his style, tying up little girls," Carroll had said. "How many child killers are there?"

Carroll's theory was that Jane Doe was the daughter of one of Brown's wives or girlfriends.

But Brown refused to talk to Carroll. "He was very cold. He was devoid of emotion," Carroll said at the time. After calmly watching the movie "Platoon" in his prison cell, Brown was given a lethal injection on May 18, 2005.

How big an undertaking would it be to search (and how would you search) deaths in 1983 where next of kin took custody of an 8-11 year old girl. (however, I think it's possible she is a little bit older).

Thoughts?

I don't remember where I read this but the police did extensive work in the schools in many states to spot any girl who would have stop going to school or changed school suddenly, that kind of thing. They worked every suspect case until they found the maching kid. It gaves nothing at all, no kid that was unaccounted for. That is what is very weird in this case: a kid that age leaves traces at school, the doctor, the dentist, her friends, whatever but nothing at all surfaced. Maybe she was kept apart from the begining, like some other kidnaped children.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member