Match! MO - St Louis Co, WhtFem UP5294, 31-35, below scenic lookout, Aug'90 *Cynthia Day*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It seems unfair to make this family wait one more day. Have they not suffered enough?

I have been lurking here for years comparing photos and stories and my family definitely thinks I have lost it. The names and faces of the missing are embedded in my mind, but my friends and family who dont come to Websleuths never hear of them.

I hope they don't have to wait for the DNA and they can get the dental records...they have been waiting long enough!!!

The Day family was notified that their DNA doesn't qualify to be bumped up for a DNA comparison...was told it could take up to a year!

What the heck qualifies??

Chaddylex:

While discussing a different case with the Delaware MedEx Office, I was told about Bode Laboratories, a private lab that does DNA testing free of charge (they are funded by a federal grant):

http://www.bodetech.com/

If you have a contact on the Cynthia Day case, you might want to refer them to this lab as an alternative to the North Texas University lab (which charges for their services, and takes about a year to get results).

Quote from their website:
NIJ Funding for Missing Person Identification

Bode Technology has received funding through the National Institute of Justice (NIJ) grant, “Using DNA Technology to Identify the Missing.” Using the NIJ funding, Bode is able to accept unidentified human remains and family reference samples from state and local governments and process the remains using both STR and mitochondrial DNA analysis free of charge.

Bode is the only private DNA laboratory participating in this NIJ funding opportunity. The funding is provided to assist the efforts of state and local governments in performing DNA analysis on unidentified human remains and/or family reference samples, and generating DNA profiles that will be uploaded into the FBI’s National Missing Persons DNA Database. Currently both mitochondrial and STR profiles can be entered into this database searched at the national level. Bode is working with the University of North Texas Center for Human Identification (UNTCHI) to facilitate the upload of the unidentified skeletal remains and family reference samples into the National Missing Persons DNA Database. Once Bode has processed the samples, the DNA data will be sent to UNTCHI to be uploaded into the National Missing Persons DNA Database.

Funding the DNA testing for unidentified remains and family reference samples is just one part of the program that the NIJ has developed in an effort to solve missing persons cases throughout the country. See the NIJ Journal Article, Missing Persons and Unidentified Remains: The Nation’s Silent Mass Disaster, for more information on NIJ’s missing persons program.

If your agency has unidentified human remains cases that you would like us to consider please contact us at (866) 263-3443 x787 or bode.service@bodetech.com. There is no charge to your agency for the DNA testing or upload of the unidentified remains and/or family reference samples into the National Missing Persons DNA Database.

anyone who has information on this case: please keep us posted on the dental record/DNA status! I hope this family can finally find closure.

I received an email from Cynthia's daughter on Friday. She said she should be hearing about the dental comparison this week!! Keep your fingers crossed!! I am!! I pray they finally have closure!!

Carl, I will let the family know about the DNA lab! Thanks

I received an email from Cynthia's daughter on Friday. She said she should be hearing about the dental comparison this week!! Keep your fingers crossed!! I am!! I pray they finally have closure!!

Carl, I will let the family know about the DNA lab! Thanks

Chaddylex, have you heard anything?

I received an email on Wednesday, they are still waiting on dentals... Cynthia's daughter told LE that she is working with about the DNA that is free that Carl suggested and they said they would rather go thru the University of Texas (which can take a year or so).

I pray for that family, wondering for 20 yrs where their mom is, and now having a possible match in a research lab the whole time... when it could have been matched 20 yrs ago if LE would have done their jobs!

Cynthia's daughter is a sweet, genuine woman. She needs answers and needs closure.

She told me as soon as she finds something out, she will let me know. I told her if this is her mom, she needs to get the media involved. This should have been solved along time ago by LE, not me making the possible match!

Not yet Charlie,

I have been in contact with Cynthia's daughter, but she has mentioned anymore about the dentals. I know the DNA is being tested in May by the University of Texas.

I am going to shoot her an email to see what is the latest!

Cynthia's daughter said that LE is still waiting for medical records and dental info.. not sure if that is for the UID or Cynthia herself..I didn't want to push, she is suffering enough through this waiting game. Hopefully when they begin the DNA testing in May, it won't take too long.. fingers crossed.

Cynthia's daughter said that LE is still waiting for medical records and dental info.. not sure if that is for the UID or Cynthia herself..I didn't want to push, she is suffering enough through this waiting game. Hopefully when they begin the DNA testing in May, it won't take too long.. fingers crossed.

Sheesh! I'm ready to tear my hair out, I can only imagine how the family is feeling right now. I'm keeping them in my prayers.

Still nothing new Brassband! I can't imagine how Cynthia's family feels waiting...

Still nothing new Brassband! I can't imagine how Cynthia's family feels waiting...

Seriously. This is BS - they shouldn't have had to wonder all this time. The location of the found woman isn't really all that far from where Cynthia was last seen. Technically, I am almost sure Bowling Green is part of the Greater St Louis Area. As is East St Louis, National City, etc. As a resident of the area, I find it astounding LE wouldn't have discovered this themselves YEARS ago. Geeesh.

abosolutly agree. I hope they don't go the we have to test DNA and that takes up to a year route.

I totally agree Rosie and Charlie!! I know when I emailed Cynthia's daughter last week she said they are still waiting for dentals also..

Does anyone know how long the DNA comparision process actually takes?

Cynthia's daughter told me that she had to drive almost two hours to meet with LE (where the UID was found) to give DNA... etc.

I told her many times that it makes me mad that LE could have had this solved along time ago if they would have done their job. The missing persons report that they filed with their local LE when Cynthia went missing in 1990 was never handled correctly. From what I understand, they took the report and that was it.. How sad.

I will keep you all posted when I find anything else out.

Please keep Cynthia's family in your prayers. The deserve closure.

I am not suprised that LE in East St Louis has not been able to solve this case. East St Louis is (and National City) riddled with crime. This is a very poverty stricken and dangerous area (gangs, drugs, prostitution). I doubt they have the resources to pursue cases. I remember when I was growing up that several bodies of prostitutes from East St. Louis were found along Highway 367 in West Alton, MO (near where I live). It's funny but every time I drive down 367 I look in the ditches just to be sure..lol

Kila,

Do you know what the distance is between National City IL and Bowling Green MO? Just curious...

The distance between those two cites is only 90 miles....1.5 hours.

Still nothing Chaddy? How the heck long does it take to get and compare some dentals? I'm still thinking something is fishy about this case. JMHO

Billylee,

I just asked Cynthia's daughter on Thursday and she still has not heard anything... seems to me like LE is dragging their feet with these dentals!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop
Back