GUILTY MO - St. Louis County - Man enters store, commits sexual assault & murder, 19 November 2018 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A Memphis judge ruled Monday that the estate, represented by April Alley, lacks standing to request the testing.

Alley is the daughter of Sedley Alley, executed in 2006 for the murder of Marine Lance Cpl. Suzanne Collins.

April Alley petitioned for the testing after investigators in a Missouri murder case contacted the Innocence Project about a possible connection between another suspect and Collins.

A statement from the prosecutor reads, “After 34 years of appeals by the defense, the Collins family continues to be the only victim in this case.”

Alley’s attorneys have filed a notice that they will appeal.
The Latest: Daughter ‘heartbroken’ over DNA evidence ruling
Wow....what a flimsy ruling SMH I hope they win their next appeal! MOO

The Innocence Project’s Barry Scheck said he received a letter from law enforcement in St. Louis County suggesting Bruce could be a suspect in the murder of Suzanne Collins in 1985. She was a Marine Lance Corporal stationed outside Memphis who was raped and killed.

Another man, Sedley Alley, was convicted and executed 13 years ago for the crime, but DNA evidence was never tested. His family and the Innocence Project petitioned a Memphis judge to allow DNA testing.

Monday, that judge ruled the family doesn’t have the right to ask for DNA testing.
Innocence Project has setback in attempt to test DNA that could link decades-old murder to Thomas Bruce
That is contemptible (moo)

is it because they know they railroaded and executed an innocent person for this crime?

I believe they may not KNOW that for sure, but I do think that is what they are afraid of.
I think that they got the right man for the Collins murder. He showed the investigators the tree that he broke the branch that he assaulted her with and it matched. That is pretty damning evidence.
I hope that she was unconscious from the beating when he used the tree branch on her.

Sedley Alley would've been approx 31 when the crime was committed, he was executed when he was about 51. Thomas Bruce would've been about 21 and is early 50's. I think they look a lot alike at the same age. I wonder if they looked similar in 1985.

RSBM

Was there an eyewitness in Suzanne Collins' murder? I wasn't aware of one, but if there was, there's one very big difference between Alley and Bruce that would be easily notable even if they happened to look identical. Bruce is short, like 5'7" or 5'8" right? Alley was 6'4".

[Also, not that it matters, but for clarity's sake, Alley was 29 at the time of the murder].

In any case, as others have said, yeah obviously they don't want to know who actually did this. I believe Alley probably actually did do it, but seems like a pretty easy thing to clarify with the DNA.

This is far from the most important implication here, but man, if it turns out that Alley was innocent, that sure crushes a lot of John Douglas' credibility. He devoted a huge chunk of a book ("Journey Into Darkness") to this case, much of it specifically about what an absolute dirtbag Alley was and how obviously responsible he was for this crime.

In addition to whatever other lawsuits Alley's innocence would warrant, I bet Douglas' prologue alone would be grounds for a massive lawsuit against him personally.

ETA: Wow, I was just going back through parts of Journey Into Darkness, and in addition to the above, Douglas implicates Alley in at least three other murders that to my knowledge he was never charged with. Holy smokes.

Last edited:
Judge in Thomas Bruce murder trial locks down court documents

The judge agreed with Bruce’s attorney that extensive media coverage may tamper his right to a fair trial. Jury selection is slated to begin in two weeks.

The judge has said all trial evidence will be released to the public when the trial is over.

I should have put a warning on that link. It goes into great detail, his horrific actions, it could be distressing and triggering to many people. Just wow, I don't know what to say, there are no words. (This happened about a mile from daughter's house). I do wonder how many times he's done this stuff, it wasn't his first rodeo. I hope they are working to tie him to other crimes. Family and victims need some sort of closure.

I should have put a warning on that link. It goes into great detail, his horrific actions, it could be distressing and triggering to many people. Just wow, I don't know what to say, there are no words. (This happened about a mile from daughter's house). I do wonder how many times he's done this stuff, it wasn't his first rodeo. I hope they are working to tie him to other crimes. Family and victims need some sort of closure.
That article was pretty harrowing. I have no idea how the survivors managed to muster the courage to get up and speak.
This is one of the cases that I have regularly checked on for updates, along with that of James Chadwell. It’s somewhat fitting, I guess, that they both pleaded guilty on the same day. Regardless of their motivations, I’m glad that they both at least spared the survivors the additional burden of having to testify.

I cannot imagine this guy..what he did, what kind of freak is he? I mean I hope someone looks into him because this is such a bizarre crime..really disgusting.
It is horrible. He was following and harassing women in Walmart before this too. I'm pretty sure I posted a link to that article right after he was arrested. He kept his clothing, a disguise of sorts I guess, under the skirting of his trailer, I guess so his wife wouldn't know about it. He got caught because he left an old business card from an insurance company at the bar where he had been turned down. He hadn't worked there for like a year. I don't know, just weird and evil. All this is MO because I don't know if the links I posted previously are still working.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mel18
Back