Found Deceased MO - Toni Anderson, 20, North Kansas City, 15 Jan 2017 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering how many miles a 2014 car would have to have on it to have tires that were worn down that much by now.
I still can't find out whether her car was a 2012 or a 2014 model. Early on, I read it was a 2014, now it just depends on which MSM source one wants to believe (?) In a rush to get often sensationalized info to the public released, I feel that many MSM outlets have marginalized this case by putting so much false or uncorroborated "facts" out there. Again: shame on them.

I was wondering how many miles a 2014 car would have to have on it to have tires that were worn down that much by now.

If my information is correct, original standard tires on Toni's 2014 Focus would have been 60,000 mileage tires. According to this, she would have put on 25000 in 10 months. The national average is around 15000/Yr. I don't know how many total months she actually owned the car. If it had been 24 months with an average of 20000, that would put the tires around 2/3 wore and I'd guess worn more than that.

[video=twitter;772955130199236608]https://twitter.com/Tonianderson2/status/772955130199236608[/video]

My thoughts regarding this scenario is it seems to me it would be very easy to score weed at a club. Why drive to a dark park alone so late?

Probably because clubs are notoriously known for being watched closely by undercover narcs. Even 20+ years ago when I was heavily into the party scene you couldn't get anyone to sell anything more than a very small amount of drugs in a club - usually only one or two pills to a person (never more than a dozen or so pills on them in total).

The difference between having a small amount on you (personal use) and a large amount (selling) is getting charged with intent to distribute. Dealers aren't going to take that chance if they can avoid it. And I would think someone who works in a club is especially keenly aware of this risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The company I own has specialized in vehicle recovery since 1981. A large percentage of recoveries are for LE.

It is not logical in any way to purposely bring up a vehicle sideways to hide a body from view of media or helicopters. The number one priority is to recover the vehicle without causing more damage--many many techniques available to accomplish this successfully--number two priority is not to further contaminate the scene and vehicle being recovered.

It's so very easy to use a tarp the moment the vehicle starts to emerge from the water. Really easy and every crime scene / forensic / detective has access to tarps as standard equipment. My company always carries new sealed tarps for this purpose and any company doing LE recovery that's professional should as well. Often the divers--really almost always--stay in the water to facilitate removal of the vehicle and get it covered the moment it starts to come out of the water.

Vehicle recovery is slow process the car just doesn't bob up unexpectedly--so plenty of time to control the scene.

Forensic LE dive teams in my experience are phenomenal folks. Not saying everywhere they are great but in all the years I've done this the divers usually are just great.

No matter how good, experienced, conscientious and how clear the water might be divers are NO substitute for a through forensic examination of a recovered vehicle in a controlled and secure environment.

I have seen a lot of talk about how divers could tell if windows were rolled down or broken out. This is actually easy to accomplish by gently pulling back the lip of the window gasket and using s light to see if the window is retracted into the door panel. You can try this yourself safely in your driveway.

The recovery IMO was horribly flawed. A professional company with trained and experienced personnel and proper equipment absolutely could, should and would have recovered her Focus without causing any substantial additional damage. I cringed when I saw how the car was being dragged. I have seen sloppy companies before but never ever ever to this level. It's embarrassing because a county guy or gal with a jacked up pick-up and a couple chains that grew up on a farm could have pulled her car out without rolling it over and causing damage. I'm serious. Every farm gets stuck tractors and rolling them over or damaging them is bad for the checkbook.

Just the way they used what we call a J-Hook to attach to one point on the car is horrible. There should have been proper rigging, a minimum of two points of attachment, snatch blocks, double winch lines and so many other things done to get her car out the way it was underwater without damage.

I spoke to this on another post but this is the worst recovery I've seen for a potential crime scene. Honestly.

Then to transport her car using an auto loader / aka Repo truck with the front wheels turning on a FWD car---potentially destroyed so much evidence.

The only time you drag a car the way her Focus was dragged is IF and only IF it's a "simple accident" without injuries and no crime investigation. Example 3 weeks ago we recovered a mini-van from a river that fell off a competitors truck because the driver didn't properly secure it. That's a hook and drag because the van is totaled and there is no crime or investigation. Even if it's a crash with minor injuries you better believe the personal injury attorneys will sue the living daylights out of a recovery company that improperly recovers a vehicle affecting their personal injury lawsuits!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was shocked to see the method they used to attach the car to a winch to pull it out. And I was shocked to see them throwing the tarp on the ground. They couldn't have possibly known it was an accident at that point - they hadn't even had detectives or forensics look at the car yet. However, I was really shocked to see the tow truck that was used to tow the car. I can't believe a car in a fatal accident wasn't put on a flatbed.

In Arkansas you can't even tow your car to the service station without it being on a flatbed. Wheel lift tow trucks have been illegal here for at least 15 years. I'm shocked a car in a fatal accident was towed on a wheel lift. But then again, they didn't even bother to properly mark the boat ramp with adequate signs so . . .

I know everyone is pretty convinced the car went down the ramp but this is not known for sure, so keep an open mind.

Does anyone know the strength of the current in that river? Her car looks pretty beat up, the roof is completely smashed in. Is this simply caused by the current pushing the car against the bottom?

I know everyone is pretty convinced the car went down the ramp but this is not known for sure, so keep an open mind.

Does anyone know the strength of the current in that river? Her car looks pretty beat up, the roof is completely smashed in. Is this simply caused by the current pushing the car against the bottom?
The current is very strong and fast moving. I've been on the river a few times in boats and it's a very dangerous river. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the damage was from the river, however, the way that her car was brought out of the river made the damage much worse. IMO

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Mileage is only part of it though. We already know she was in the habit of speeding, which will also have an effect. What was her driving style? Late breaking, hard cornering? Was she good at car maintenance (if she had balding tyres in winter, I'd guess no)? Did she keep her tyres correctly inflated, or were they under or over inflated? Was the tracking correctly adjusted? Were her brakes old or new? Were they quality tyres or retreads? What sort of surfaces did she regularly drive on? All these things will have an impact on tyre wear.

Missouri has Sunshine laws, right? Will everything in the investigation be available to the public after the case is closed?

Mileage is only part of it though. We already know she was in the habit of speeding, which will also have an effect. What was her driving style? Late breaking, hard cornering? Was she good at car maintenance (if she had balding tyres in winter, I'd guess no)? Did she keep her tyres correctly inflated, or were they under or over inflated? Was the tracking correctly adjusted? Were her brakes old or new? Were they quality tyres or retreads? What sort of surfaces did she regularly drive on? All these things will have an impact on tyre wear.

There are many things to consider as you say in relation to tire wear. I would not be surprised if there was not all that much tread on the car. It seems those are the originals. I am curious what the total miles are on the vehicle.

In answer to the question above, I do leave room for the car going off the road in a different location.

I know it seems hard to believe an able bodied young person could accidentally drive their car into a river and not be able to escape. Living near many small bodies of water, however, has shown me otherwise. There are yearly water accidents. And more times than not they involve young people and often substances, speed, or fatigue.

If Toni's car went down a hillside on a curve, though, I believe there would be a good chance they could recover car parts or other evidence on that path of entry. I don't even know if they're looking though. Do you think there is disagreement on how to handle the case within the department? Maybe some ambitious detective will check into these things on their own.

There are many things to consider as you say in relation to tire wear. I would not be surprised if there was not all that much tread on the car. It seems those are the originals. I am curious what the total miles are on the vehicle.

I'm not sure the tires mean much other than she was driving with marginal traction when she possibly needed maximum traction the most. Not sure it would make any difference in the final outcome.

Tire wear and total miles are not necessarily related. PS, Sr. said she was known to often drive up and over curbs--and had lost the hubcaps on the front wheels from "curbing".

It's easy to knock a car out of alignment accelerating tire wear. Add in aggressive driving which seems like she did often and then under inflation which is extremely common if you don't check your tires regularly and add in not rotating the tires at optimal intervals and you could have a tire worn bald in shockingly few miles.

Yes. Once the case is closed the record is open and the entire case file becomes public.

Thanks. I would guess, though, that if police decide to close the investigation (even when the public thinks it's premature), the case documents won't even include a lot of the details we'd like them to examine. :(

Does anyone know if there is a regulating agency (something like OSHA or the DOT) that might have an interest in conducting their own investigation due to the inadequate signage?

Thanks. I would guess, though, that if police decide to close the investigation (even when the public thinks it's premature), the case documents won't even include a lot of the details we'd like them to examine. :(

Does anyone know if there is a regulating agency (something like OSHA or the DOT) that might have an interest in conducting their own investigation due to the inadequate signage?

I believe it would be DOT since it's a waterway . However, I cannot find who runs the park. County, city, state or private.

Obviously I wasn't there so have no idea what communications or protocols local LE have. I have no idea the motives for recovering the car the way it was done.

It absolutely damaged the car and complicates a forensic investigation.

Certainly they knew this was Toni's car. That's something everyone can agree on. LE knew this was her car. Based on my experience and really common sense dragging her car up and towing it wheels down just seems extremely careless.

Just my opinion. I don't understand why it was done in this manor. If I was a paranoid conspiracy theorist I would almost say they wanted to contaminate and damage potential evidence. I'm not saying that and I'm not a paranoid conspiracy person.

I really don't understand in a big city, even a small town, not having basic rigging and a flatbed for transport.

They did have basic rigging and a flatbed for transport. There were two cars on flatbeds that were towed away just prior to her car being pulled up. So it's ridiculous that they did not use a flatbed.

By the undoing seat belt and roll down car window, looks like she did tried to getting out

Or the seat belt was undone because she was tossed in the car in a hurry and the window was down so they could guide the car down the boat ramp.

Was it confirmed by LE that her car was in reverse? Were the keys in the "on" position?

In answer to the question above, I do leave room for the car going off the road in a different location.

I know it seems hard to believe an able bodied young person could accidentally drive their car into a river and not be able to escape. Living near many small bodies of water, however, has shown me otherwise. There are yearly water accidents. And more times than not they involve young people and often substances, speed, or fatigue.

If Toni's car went down a hillside on a curve, though, I believe there would be a good chance they could recover car parts or other evidence on that path of entry. I don't even know if they're looking though. Do you think there is disagreement on how to handle the case within the department? Maybe some ambitious detective will check into these things on their own.

I agree, I think these accidents are common and it's plausible in this case.

However, this one, I am becoming more and more skeptical of the more I look at it. Honestly, I think that SUV being in the same spot is maybe the largest red flag I see. The fact that it was so quickly deemed as unrelated was not giving me a feeling they were interested in investigating anything at all.

For instance, since we know this car was a stolen vehicle. If the windows were broken or there was a way for a body to float out of that vehicle, who's to say that we couldn't define this location as a dumping location for bodies/cars?

So there might not be a direct link to this particular case, but if that vehicle was dumped there, then why doesn't it make sense logically that the same person might use the same location to make another car disappear?

To me, it's the same concept as if you found a body in a field and then you found another body... You'd logically suspect that they were buried by the same person. So two different missing person/murder cases, but the same murderer.

It's confusing to me how in what seemed like an hour or two after that vehicle was found, it was deemed unrelated. Strange imo.

I definitely see the possibility of an accident here in this case, but if that SUV wasn't there, I'd be more likely to exclude foul play. I think someone should be looking for a body that has possibly been found along the missouri river in the last year. Just to be thorough. there might be some way to connect that vehicle to such a body. In turn, that body might have a connection to a person in this case.

Or the seat belt was undone because she was tossed in the car in a hurry and the window was down so they could guide the car down the boat ramp.

Was it confirmed by LE that her car was in reverse? Were the keys in the "on" position?

Right. There are other possible explanations. They seem less likely to me than an accident, but if someone did guide the car into the water, it may be the perfect crime given how quickly the case seems to be closing.

I don't believe that law enforcement has ever said the car was in reverse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member