Most Intriguing Classic Unsolved Single Murder Poll

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

What classic unsolved single murder are you most intrigued by?

• Rose Harsent 1902

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Caroline Luard 1908

• George Storrs 1909

• William Taylor 1922

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Margery Wren 1930

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Julia Wallace 1931

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Evelyn Foster 1931

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Hubert Chevis 1931

• Lord Errol 1941

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Harry Oakes 1943

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Elizabeth Short 1947

Votes: 89 47.6%
  • Shirley Collins 1953

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Marilyn Sheppard 1954

Votes: 14 7.5%
  • Valery Percy 1966

Votes: 21 11.2%
  • Another Please Explain

Votes: 39 20.9%

• Total voters
Tie between Sharon Marshall (we still don't know for sure if it was FDF who killed her) and Princess Doe.

It was a close call with Short but I voted for Wallace.

After reading a ton of stuff on the case (though not lately), I'm satisfied in my mind that Richard Gordon Parry was the killer of Julia Wallace.

Hi Stella:

Two years ago, I would have agreed with you but lately I've switched to thinking that William Wallace did it - and so this case goes. Cheers:)

Hi Stella:

The neighbor woman in the connected house heard Close knock but she heard no one knock after that. If she didn't hear Parry knock then I assume it was because he was never there. If I was to put odds on it, I'd say 55% Wallace did it, 40% Parry and 5% someone else. I do have Goodman's book and the movie and they both lean toward Parry so they were influences on earlier view.

I have always found cases where multiple people went missing at the same time and cases where a group of people were murdered together to be very intriguing. We always assume that we are safe in groups but these cases prove us wrong. I would love to find out what really happened in cases like the Springfield 3, Fort Worth 3, Sodder Family, Oklahoma Girl Scout Murders, and the Keddie Cabin murders.

From your list its hard to pick but I'd have to go with Elizabeth Short.
Even with the waters so muddied by crackpots and popular fiction its still an intriguiging case.

Thanks Kline. Yes, that case has passed into the category of a legend as much as a crime.

As expected, Dahlia is way out in front but I am a little surprised that Percy is in second. Maybe it's because it is the most recent.

I'm also surprised at some of the cases that have no votes but I guess Dahlia is just too tough a competition.

I definitely think that The Black Dahlia has the most name recognition out of the cases listed. It's always named as one of the most famous unsolved cases of all time, so I think that makes people more likely to want to read about it. Plus, there's been lots of books written about the case, plus TV specials, and there's still active discussions on the Internet about it, so it's an "easier" case to research. Shirley Collins didn't get any votes, and when you do a Google search for her, the first page of results is all about some unrelated singer.

I definitely think that The Black Dahlia has the most name recognition out of the cases listed. It's always named as one of the most famous unsolved cases of all time, so I think that makes people more likely to want to read about it. Plus, there's been lots of books written about the case, plus TV specials, and there's still active discussions on the Internet about it, so it's an "easier" case to research. Shirley Collins didn't get any votes, and when you do a Google search for her, the first page of results is all about some unrelated singer.

Yes, I think Black Dahlia, Jack the Ripper, Zodiac and Lizzie Borden would be the iconic unsolved ones most recognized by the masses.

Entering >Shirley Collins Murder 1953< gets some good reports on page 1. It is sort of the Australian Dahlia case.

I don't consider Lizzie Borden case or Lindbergh kidnapping case as "unsolved". Perhaps as "solved, but for some questions remain." I personally think the authorites correctly solved these two cases (which I don't feel for JFK), but I recognize that questions have been raised in both.

I also consider Lindbergh as basically solved although I doubt that Hauptmann acted alone. Regarding the Bordens, since there are some other credible theories and no conviction, I do not consider that case solved. I do, however, agree that Lizzie most likely did it.

I have always found cases where multiple people went missing at the same time and cases where a group of people were murdered together to be very intriguing. We always assume that we are safe in groups but these cases prove us wrong. I would love to find out what really happened in cases like the Springfield 3, Fort Worth 3, Sodder Family, Oklahoma Girl Scout Murders, and the Keddie Cabin murders.

Hey Eileenhawkeye- Do you know the names of the Fort Worth 3,Springfield 3
Thanks Syra

Mine is Mary Shotwell Little who vanished from a shopping mall in 1965. The series of events, clues left inside her car, sightings of her and the fact the woman who replaced her at her job was found murdered. Very fascinating case.

http://www.buckhead.net/history/mystery/msl_a.html

GA GA - Mary Shotwell Little, 25, Atlanta, 14 Oct 1965 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

And the disappearence of the Beaumont Children in Australia in the mid 60's. The site linked is a great website about the case with tons of information.

http://www.beaumontchildren.com/

Thanks Gaia. I had the Beaumont vanishings as #47 on my top 200 classic unsolved murders list.

Standreid, I have to ask: are you from England? I noticed that many of the cases you posted took place in England. Thank you for posting them - I went through the entire list, googling them one by one and many of them were totally new to me and very interesting to read.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pacobasal
Back