Motive For Murder

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
*snipped*

Not sure about Yale, but at the university I work at, the techs have my cell phone number. If something happens to one of our animals, I'm the primary contact and they have to be able to get in touch with me if need be.

He's not a tech...it's not like he's a research assistant (usually bachelor's degree staff employees). He's an entry level employee (only experience required I believe is some type of animal handling class) who cleans mouse cages and delivers mice to the labs. They do not work with researchers directly other than to give them what they need for research. They don't monitor their research or anything else. When their mice die or they need more, they provide them.

Reminder we are a victim friendly forum. we can discuss the background and pertinent information, but be careful.

They may have been worried the blood would bleed through their backpack.

That's understandable. But didn't they find surgical gloves? There must be other material lying around in a lab that could prevent blood from leaking. Heck, if there are sinks, they could have just rinsed out the clothing. They'd have to wash the blood off their skin anyway.

But who would know it was there to access? Is it common knowledge to students that such an area is wide enough for a body or a person to fit? I'm just trying to get an understanding how familiar someone would have to be with it.

If she was hidden there, then I doubt they would have transported her very far, if there are cameras around. The murder scene would probably be nearby.

I can't find articles about what she was wearing. Was she wearing the clothing she disappeared in? Or was she nude?

I read from one of the contractors who constructed the building (who was working at another site in New Haven now..a private job) that a mechanical chase for a building that size would be about 5x5. It houses electrical, plumbing, etc. for a 120,000 sq ft. building...and there is space for maintenance folks to access these things.

This has all been published in many reports.

Are people posting here with firsthand information?

He's not a tech...it's not like he's a research assistant (usually bachelor's degree staff employees). He's an entry level employee (only experience required I believe is some type of animal handling class) who cleans mouse cages and delivers mice to the labs. They do not work with researchers directly other than to give them what they need for research. They don't monitor their research or anything else. When their mice die or they need more, they provide them.

Thank you for this :)

The day we start criticizing men for being "somewhat promiscuous" is the day I'll take this argument lying down. Pun intended.

I see gorgeous men all the time. I work on Wall Street. Some of my coworkers talk about their penthouse apartments overlooking Central Park. Their JDs and MBAs from Harvard. I see them in their perfectly tailored $6000 Armani suits, going into court in Brooklyn to represent underprivileged youth accused of crimes for free. One just surprised his mom, who worked 2 jobs to put him through college, by going to the bank and secretly paying off her mortgage. He has the body of adonis, shiny full head of hair, the smile of a TV news anchor. I want him. I'd probably sacrifice my future first born to have him.

If I decide to TAKE what I want, and rape and kill him, would ANYONE... ANYONE ever say, "well, he was attractive, intelligent and rich - he was asking for it. He was acting "suggestively" around lawlady."

Give me a break. That conversation would NEVER be had. They'd probably paint me as a scorned sl*t and pull up some old facebook pictures of me on vacation - and ignore the 15 hour work days and law degree.

IIRC this forum is about potential motives to a crime and not one's ideals or politics.

We moderate here at WS.
1. Don't attack each other or you will get a TO
2. Don't discuss other posters as a topic or you will get a TO
3. Don't post rumors
4. We are a victim friendly forum. Please keep that in mind when you post.

For the love of pete this about a young woman brutally murdered!

5. if you are posting as a friend or someone with inside information , welcome and thank you. But,you must talk to the owner first to verify your relationship. Otherwise please don't post as an insider.

I will re open this thread in a few minutes.

Other than the blunt sexism in this post, I'd like to point out that her Facebook page photos did in fact make the news and are available online here:

http://www.cbsnews.com/elements/2009/09/11/crimesider/photoessay5303665.shtml

She dressed no different than the average 24 year old young woman from California.

Thank you, Sloof. I completely agree! I dressed far more risque when I went to college in Florida! I still think she looks like a class act...nothing too bad. Without a doubt, not only was this young lady brilliant, she sure was beautiful, and clothes sure did fall over her nicely.

Welcome to Websleuths. You're gonna love it here!

There's also some discussion on motive going on in the RCIII thread. I don't think it was premeditated. I think he planned to have some kind of confrontation with her, with the mouse situation as a pretext for getting her into the lab and starting the conversation. But I think things went way, way crazy as part of that confrontation, and he killed her.

I think he has been simultaneously sexually obsessed with her, envious of her academic success compared to his own, and resentful of her position of authority.

forgive my typing, as i have a broken wrist, but something else stood out for me from those Facebook photos.....
some of them looked as if they were taken at nice places...vacations?
also, one of my own kids almost applied to the Univ. of Rochester, and i recall it being quite pricey...
i know the victim had gotten many scholarships, and i surmise that her family was not wealthy....is it possible that the killer was angered by her bettering herself, moving into a richer ...not just more educated...world? Class hatred, perhaps? Perhaps her fiance was wealthy, and this angered the killer, as he felt very inferior......

Hi, I've read these forums from time to time but felt compelled to post on this case due to all the wild and crazy speculation that I've been seeing.

I thought you might like to receive some insight from a police officer's point of view, who also has a direct family member who is a veteran homicide detective:

The fact that she was strangled almost certainly means that this was a crime of passion. Strangulations are very personal acts. They are almost exclusively committed against family members, "ex" relationships, or victims of sexual assaults. Ligature strangulations are a small part of these and are mostly committed as part of a less impulsive crime, such as sexual sadism, serial murders, etc.

Notice how the ME said it was due to "compression of the neck" which can be taken as "strangled from the front". This can happen from the rear in choke-holds, but scratches occur on the forearms and sometimes the face of the perp. The reported scratches on the suspect's chest and back suggests that she was strangled from the front, with his hands, as she tried to fight him off.

The point being, that this was a personal, moment of passion crime. Almost ALL strangulations are either very personal, or sexual in nature. If it was another type of crime, IE: an argument gone overboard between casual acquaintances, cause of death would tend to be blunt force, gunshot or stabbing trauma.. and sometimes asphyxiation, but with facial smothering instead, such as with a plastic bag, a pillow over the face, etc.

The strangualtion act means it was a heat of the moment crime. This was either an infatuation/obsession, with an unwanted advance that lead to rape, or the two had an affair that ended very badly. I'm sorry, but people who don't know each other personally don't strangle one another over the cleanliness of a mouse cage.. even if they are sociopaths. The crime would be more calculated and the method would be different.

The infatuation/obsession leading to rape angle is much less likely if he had her personal cell number. There are a myriad of ways why he might have had it otherwise, but she would have been suspicious and would NOT have given him opportunities to be around her if he was harassing her... and little issues about lab mice are not a good enough reason for her to drop everything to go over there and subject herself to harassment by some "weirdo". It is very unlikely.

If the "text" message was a direct cell to cell SMS, meaning he had her personal phone number, it was code for "I need to talk to you.. now."

We put our money on an affair that lead to either:

1: A heated personal argument that became very impassioned and led to desperation and murder.

2: She tried to break it off in the days before and he couldn't handle it, tried to stop it from happening and it lead to number 1.

Also, the lack of information from law enforcement is routine. Information is typically withheld so that during interrogation the suspect might slip up and make mention of something that only the perp would know about.

Most of the time, questioning is first focused on facts already known so as to "read" a person and figure out what gestures they make when they are lying. Then you know what to focus on and information is fed to them in an attempt to get them to hang themselves with something that was not released to the public. It is very effective.

forgive my typing, as i have a broken wrist, but something else stood out for me from those Facebook photos.....
some of them looked as if they were taken at nice places...vacations?
also, one of my own kids almost applied to the Univ. of Rochester, and i recall it being quite pricey...
i know the victim had gotten many scholarships, and i surmise that her family was not wealthy....is it possible that the killer was angered by her bettering herself, moving into a richer ...not just more educated...world? Class hatred, perhaps? Perhaps her fiance was wealthy, and this angered the killer, as he felt very inferior......

? Not sure about this but I have in my notes that in fact her family does have some money, own nail salons all over California, among other places. I could be incorrect, repeat...could be incorrect. I am of the belief that Annie was a hard worker dedicated to a profession that she thoroughly enjoyed. I think she knew exactly how expensive it would be to go to college for the career path she wanted to take, so b/c of her good morals, she strived to achieve the best she could be, therefore applying for whatever scholarships she could - knowing it would only help her in the end. I am not finding, however, that her family are billionaires. Perhaps have more money than the average Joe Schmoe.

Welcome to WS HeyJoe. Thank you for posting. Insightful, interesting and more than likely an accurate theory as to why this happened.

Thanks for reopening the thread. I had a whole post of what I thought was the motive and how things went down...now I have to rethink out the scenario.

Yes, I work in the medical center complex. I do have some knowledge of the facility and know folks who work with the POI and also folks who worked with the victim. I don't personally know the victim at all. I realize that this isn't a board for speculation and I'm learning the rules here (the hard way apparently).

P.S. I'm worried that they still haven't gotten ANY DNA matches yet. I'm sure they started with the bloody clothing..what gives.....

That's a fascinating analysis, Joe. I've been wondering myself what kind of emergency at the lab would make her drop everything to head over there and risk being late for her 10:30 class.

The infatuation/obsession leading to rape angle is much less likely if he had her personal cell number. There are a myriad of ways why he might have had it otherwise, but she would have been suspicious and would NOT have given him opportunities to be around her if he was harassing her... and little issues about lab mice are not a good enough reason for her to drop everything to go over there and subject herself to harassment by some "weirdo". It is very unlikely.

Heyjoe,
Welcome to websleuths and thank you for that GREAT post! What is in the quotes above that you said I completely agree with. If she had been scared of him or he had been giving her the creeps she would not have went to meet him in a basement about mice. I had been thinking along these same lines for a while now but could never seem to find the right words.... without making it look like I was victim bashing by insinuating there was some other sort of relationship going on between the two. Thank you for your whole entire post. ITA with it.

wait a minute, scratch my idea, as i just realized that the poi has a III after his name, which likely indicates that he comes from an upper class background....however, the victim was clearly on a path to success....whereas the poi was not...
even if there was an affair, i still feel there was resentment, feelings of inferiority......

Heyjoe,
Do you think the scratches on his back could indicate sexual assault?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay