Movie:Devil's Knot

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am eager to see it. If anyone here is familiar with Atom Egoyan's other films, you know he has a unique/sometimes peculiar style. I was actually really surprised when I first heard he signed on to do this as it didn't seem like a good fit (I really didn't see Reese as Pam either). I'll have to see and make my judgment though. :)

I havent seen it yet , but after seeing Reese in "Mud" I actually think she would be a perfect Pam

Does anyone know if that's true about the knife at the end of the movie?

The knife was found several years later in a collection of knives that TWH had on a closet shelf or bedside stand. I don't remember which place it was. The knives were found by Pam and one of her sisters (Jolynn, I believe). They were discussed in either the Pasdar deposition or the wmpd interview with TWH. He agreed that it was Steven's knife, but he claimed that he had taken it from Steven well before the murders. However, Pam contends that Steven always had it with him because her father gave it to him and he treasured all gifts from his grandfather. So, yes, Steven's knife was found in TWH's possessions. It just wasn't found during the E/B trial as portrayed in the film.

The knife was found several years later in a collection of knives that TWH had on a closet shelf or bedside stand. I don't remember which place it was. The knives were found by Pam and one of her sisters (Jolynn, I believe). They were discussed in either the Pasdar deposition or the wmpd interview with TWH. He agreed that it was Steven's knife, but he claimed that he had taken it from Steven well before the murders. However, Pam contends that Steven always had it with him because her father gave it to him and he treasured all gifts from his grandfather. So, yes, Steven's knife was found in TWH's possessions. It just wasn't found during the E/B trial as portrayed in the film.

I think that that knife being found was a tipping point for Pam. I feel bad for her.I can see it when she talks about it how she worries that she was with the man that murdered her son.

Devil's Knot will be streaming on Netflix starting June 3rd.

I obtained a copy of this movie and I want to say that it took a completely different direction than I thought it would.

I like how it focuses a bit on early parts of the investigation like Chris Morgan and Aaron Hutcheson. In many of the documentaries, all that is lost. I haven't finished watching it yet so I'll review again when I'm finished.

That's what I liked about it, also.

I knew nothing of this case. I really enjoyed the movie and am aghast at how LE could so poorly handle a murder case. And appalled that a murderer is likely walking free. How it must drive the parents crazy not knowing who did it. I have looked up more info on the case by googling. I am definitely interested in watching documentaries that are more accurate than a Hollywood movie. Any advice on documentaries to watch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would advise: watch them all, but keep firmly in mind that most come from a distinct agenda and angle of bias. I think watching them all gives a kind of overview of the various POV's being put forward.

The DVD comes out sometime this month, too, I believe.

My DH picked it up for me after it came out earlier this month from the Red Box. It didn't tell me anything I didn't know, but I appreciate that they tried to tell the story from the perspective of one of the boy's parents (for the most part).

I don't know that it would tell anyone who has been following this case (for me since I was a teen) anything they didn't already know about this case but I am always happy for any main stream information outlet.

Not everyone watches documentaries or reads thousands of pages of message boards. Perhaps though, with a main stream movie, more people will.

ALWAYS MOO

I watched the three documentaries before watching the Hollywood movie. I actually didn't really pay attention to the story in 2011 because I was so wrapped in the CA trial and then other trials came along so it kind of went out of my mind. Until I found all these on demand and now interested in possibility that there might be one day justice for the 6 of them. It's shameful that a thorough investigation wasn't done. It doesn't mean squat that a jury convicted them in two trials, look how awesome the jury was in the CA trial?

I spent all day watching all 3 of the Paradise Lost documentaries. After seeing these, I can definitely say that Devil's Knot was done very well. It got the most important points across in the short time span of a hollywood movie and I really how close the actors looked to the actual people they were playing. Now that Ive watched all the documentaries I am even more clueless on who actually murdered these boys. I think I lean more towards the Bojangles man. It is horrible that whoever is capable of such horrible things are likely walking free today. And I still cannot believe those boys spent 18 years in prison. How absolutely embarrassing for our judicial system. A total utter mess.

You're not alone in your suspicion of "Mr. Bojangles." However, I don't truly see a motive for him. If he was just a random stranger (or especially trucker), why didn't he dump the bodies in the Mississippi?

Also, many have speculated as to why he has never come forward, if he is innocent. Sad to say, being black, he might not have had a "fair shake" in West Memphis/Marion. So, he has maintained his silence. Or, he could be dead. I don't really see him as a viable suspect.

It is a shame, however that the evidence was lost. I've seen one recent speculation on that front - that he (like TWH) was being protected by the wmpd. The corruption in the wmpd must be really bad!

How do you lose a jar of blood evidence? I don't even understand that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The movie is now On Demand.

I watched part of it on Netflix. I know evidence in the case fairly well but I was not impressed with the movie. I fell asleep halfway through the movie.

Watched the movie last night and like all here nothing new came to light. I did enjoy it however and really thought they did an amazing job of recreating the people involved down to the clothing of jesses lawyers... I think Reese portrayed Pam very well down to her walk even. Even my better half watched with me and he isn't into true crime at all. It was worth the $6.99 to rent on demand here in Canada and I recorded so I will watch again ... By myself though lol don't like stopping and starting to explain and answer questions :)

~greeneyedgirl~,

I feel your pain! I like to "share" this case with my hubby, but I'm so obsessed with it that I get into minutia that I should just let pass by without feeling the need to "explain" to the nth degree!

BTW, I sat down with pencil and paper in hand to list the discrepancies between the movie and the facts known to be true. Most of them were really insignificant (with maybe two or three exceptions), but none of the exceptions were so far off as to skew the truth. However, I counted at least 54 discrepancies.

Saw it last night on a $2.80 rental from Family Video. Glad I saw it but it reminded me of one of those mundane weekly TV movies.

I saw this movie the other day and I have to say, I thought it was awful. I'd say don't waste your money. I'm not saying this to put anyone's differing opinion down, but to me, this movie was completely unnecessary to have ever been made. I guess I was hoping that there would be something that would illuminate an aspect of the case -- but there was really nothing that hadn't been covered before by any of the documentaries; and the acting was atrocious. Quite honestly, it was painful to watch at moments because of the acting.

There were 2 things that were of slight interest: the ice cream truck driver (forget his name now) who went to the Hobbs' after the murders and requested a picture of SB (which he received), then "fled" to California shortly thereafter, "confessed," and was (of course) not allowed to testify in the case for some reason by Burnett. The other was the Hutchison boy's video interview that (if I remember correctly) was taken before JK, DE, and JB were taken into custody.

The only point as to why this movie was made (according to those who made it) was to get it out to a wider audience, but that was the last thing that happened with its extremely limited release. The only people who know and who have seen this movie are those who already have studied the case; and who introduce it to a small circle of those around them, which defeats the "purpose" as to why the movie was or even needed to be created in the first place. Just my opinion.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jasonax3
Back