MS - 14-year old shoots parents; kills mother - Mar. 19, 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
"Carly Gregg
has been sentenced to two counts of life in prison

just 30 minutes after she was found guilty of murdering her mom and trying to kill her stepdad.

She will serve two life sentences concurrently

for the charges of murder and attempted murder,

as well as 10 years for tampering with evidence in the case.

The final charge relates to a decision Gregg made to tear a CCTV camera down from her kitchen and hide it in the refrigerator after shooting her mom, Ashley, dead in the home on March 19."

MOO but I don’t think that children should get life without parole unless it’s an extreme case, surely for most there’s a chance of rehabilitation.

That being said I get the other side as well and watching the video where she knows the camera is running and purposely hides the gun seems to me she knew what she was doing, knew it was wrong, and was taking actions to not get caught. Some sort of plausible deniability because shooting a 357 in a house is loud

Happy to see the verdict. I don’t think anyone enjoys sentencing a teenager to life, but mitigating circumstances having to be considered.

I have yet to hear a motive unless I missed it.

MH issues are no one’s fault, but it’s a responsibility to manage it. The parents appeared to have tried without success to help her manage it.

Attributing this murder to mental health issues in the capacity that she was incompetent is just not a reasonable defense in her case. The courts are very specific about what can be considered incompetence, and despite her issues, she did not meet the requirements. A verdict of “not-guilty” would only leave the door open wider for other criminals to argue with the same defense. And it will continue to happen anyways, but CG is now an example at a failed attempt to excuse what she did.

It’s the right verdict that sends the right message IMO. We cannot simultaneously advocate against the stigmatization of mental health issues while also advocating for anything less than LWOP for offenders like CG.

I am hoping Bianca Elliot, who murdered a little boy in a grocery store parking lot does get LWOP when she is “restored to competency with treatment” so she can be tried as someone who clearly does have extreme mental illness compared to CG.

YES!! I'm in the "this relationship is sketch" camp.

I've actually wondered, suppose nothing was sketchy before the shooting BUT once she was arrested/charged, the stepdad was afraid that Carly could have "claimed" it was the case... throwing him in the middle of legal actions/defense, etc as an excuse/placing blame on him? There was quite conniving behavior on the part of CS and he supported her to avoid this possibility? Admittedly, this theory is rather ridiculous and I'm thinking about the case way too much.

I've actually wondered, suppose nothing was sketchy before the shooting BUT once she was arrested/charged, the stepdad was afraid that Carly could have "claimed" it was the case... throwing him in the middle of legal actions/defense, etc as an excuse/placing blame on him? There was quite conniving behavior on the part of CS and he supported her to avoid this possibility? Admittedly, this theory is rather ridiculous and I'm thinking about the case way too much.

Quoting myself simply because... I swear I somehow missed the defense attorney mentioning this today! (That's what I get for limiting my caffeine intake) :oops::oops:

This has to be one of the fastest trials I've watched. Done & dusted in under 6 months!!

I think she wanted her 5 minutes of fame personally, now she has a lifetime to think about her actions & the consequences.

Such a waste of lives.....

RIP Ashley

I guess
she will be placed in a psychiatric ward in some juvenile institution.

She seems to me a completely lost individual, with emotions and feelings totally jumbled.

Her giggling and sobbing in Court tell their story.

What happened to this girl who was once a honour student?

All these therapies and meds she took
didn't seem to help, unfortunately.

What a tragic case :(

JMO

I guess
she will be placed in a psychiatric ward in some juvenile institution.

She seems to me a completely lost individual, with emotions and feelings totally jumbled.

Her giggling and sobbing in Court tell their story.

What happened to this girl who was once a honour student?

All these therapies and meds she took
didn't seem to help, unfortunately.

What a tragic case :(

JMO
I see it differently. I see a very intelligent psychopath peeking out from under those lashes trying to read the emotions in the room...and trying to match the emotions she is seeing. Not feeling them but mimicking them.

She wasn't judged insane so I assume she's headed to big girl prison. MOO

I found out today that my 19 year old granddaughter and all her friends were following this trial and watching it on YouTube. They all felt the same as me...without me sharing my opinion to them. They saw right thru her too. I thought that was interesting as it was a closer age group to her. MOO.

Happy to see the verdict. I don’t think anyone enjoys sentencing a teenager to life, but mitigating circumstances having to be considered.

I have yet to hear a motive unless I missed it.

MH issues are no one’s fault, but it’s a responsibility to manage it. The parents appeared to have tried without success to help her manage it.

Attributing this murder to mental health issues in the capacity that she was incompetent is just not a reasonable defense in her case. The courts are very specific about what can be considered incompetence, and despite her issues, she did not meet the requirements. A verdict of “not-guilty” would only leave the door open wider for other criminals to argue with the same defense. And it will continue to happen anyways, but CG is now an example at a failed attempt to excuse what she did.

It’s the right verdict that sends the right message IMO. We cannot simultaneously advocate against the stigmatization of mental health issues while also advocating for anything less than LWOP for offenders like CG.

I am hoping Bianca Elliot, who murdered a little boy in a grocery store parking lot does get LWOP when she is “restored to competency with treatment” so she can be tried as someone who clearly does have extreme mental illness compared to CG.
I've been reading a daily report of the trial which was a nearly verbatim transcript of all proceedings. As far a motive, what was disclosed in court was that CG had recently been smoking marijuana and hiding it from her mother. She had a lot of problems, issues at school etc. Her friends were concerned and one of them told her mom about the mj. On the day of the murder, when she came to her mom's classroom at the end of the day, her mom told her that she knew about it and they were going to have to talk about it. Keep in mind that CG was on some pretty heavy duty psychiatric meds and hadn't been honest about her substance use. They went home and Caryly ends up shooting her mother. There is your motive. The trial notes are worth reading if you have an interest. They can be found on Therese Apel's fb page. She is a local reporter of the finest reputation.

Way off base. If you go and review the trial notes, you will see that her problems stem from her bio dad. Lots and lots of issues there. Her step dad was a loving father figure to her. It's a very sad situation but her bio dad is the one to blame here.

I've been reading a daily report of the trial which was a nearly verbatim transcript of all proceedings. As far a motive, what was disclosed in court was that CG had recently been smoking marijuana and hiding it from her mother. She had a lot of problems, issues at school etc. Her friends were concerned and one of them told her mom about the mj. On the day of the murder, when she came to her mom's classroom at the end of the day, her mom told her that she knew about it and they were going to have to talk about it. Keep in mind that CG was on some pretty heavy duty psychiatric meds and hadn't been honest about her substance use. They went home and Caryly ends up shooting her mother. There is your motive. The trial notes are worth reading if you have an interest. They can be found on Therese Apel's fb page. She is a local reporter of the finest reputation.
But I am assuming her mother was reasonable and could discuss the issue with her in an appropriate manner. Why did she shoot her?

IMO, she doesn't deserve her mother back, because her mother will never get her life back.
Well what I meant was that if and when she ever wakes up from this she will realize what she has done and that the only person who ever fought for her and kept her safe from her abusive bio dad is dead because of her.

But I am assuming her mother was reasonable and could discuss the issue with her in an appropriate manner. Why did she shoot her?
I dont' have the answer to that. What I do know from reading the trial testimony notes is that her mother got her out of an abusive situation with the bio dad. There was a younger sibling who died before she escaped the abuse. Carly mentioned to the doctors times where her bio dad withheld food and water. Unclear to me whether these were during forced visitations or before. Any or all of this is at least partly to blame for this girls personality disorder and skewed mental health. I do believe she knew what she was doing and was not insane. But I also believe that she experienced trauma as young child that affected her mental health and ultimately caused her to take the life of the one person who had always kept her safe.

I should add that this is local to me.

Way off base. If you go and review the trial notes, you will see that her problems stem from her bio dad. Lots and lots of issues there. Her step dad was a loving father figure to her. It's a very sad situation but her bio dad is the one to blame here.

I watched the entire trial (if you see my previous posts), I simply just missed where the defense attorney suggested a similar theory today... I think I must have "spaced out" during that part. ;)

Last edited:
I see it differently. I see a very intelligent psychopath peeking out from under those lashes trying to read the emotions in the room...and trying to match the emotions she is seeing. Not feeling them but mimicking them.

She wasn't judged insane so I assume she's headed to big girl prison. MOO

I found out today that my 19 year old granddaughter and all her friends were following this trial and watching it on YouTube. They all felt the same as me...without me sharing my opinion to them. They saw right thru her too. I thought that was interesting as it was a closer age group to her. MOO.

I'm glad the younger group saw what we saw @sassyblue !

And, yes... from what I understand, she will be going to the real prison, not a mental health facility.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
culley2821
Back