MS MS - Bay St Louis, WhtFem 37-42, UP2841, no teeth, 'black lung', emphysema, chron bronchitis, May'98

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The only thing I can't get past is that Sheri supposedly had her ears pierced and the UID did not. I do think even if the holes closed, you would still notice the piercings, no? This is what has stopped me from attempting to pursue this further. What do y'all think? Does that kill this possibility?

Not necessarily. I spent about 2 years working for a store that offered ear piercing. Lots of women would come in for a redo on a closed piercing. Sometimes, it was hard to find the location, especially if she was older and her skin was wrinkled. Just my experience, obviously I am not an expert in these things...

I never did hear anything back about Faye Self as a potential match.

I freaked out when I saw Sheri Swims mentioned as a possible in another thread.

She has a "bubble like" scar on her upper left arm, which could be a vaccination scar, as is described on the upper left arm of the UID. She had given birth at least once, with the UID having given birth at least 2 times. The UID had a ceasarean, and I think a hysterectomy at the same time, no mention of that with Sheri. The UID is listed as 5'3 1/2 which is possible for Sheri at around 5'6". Sheri is listed as having blonde hair with possible red highlights. There are pictures where her hair is light brown also, and I don't know which was her natural hair color, but it seems she could have died her hair this color. Sheri had upper dentures and lower partials, could easily have had no teeth by 1998 if she was living a difficult or transient lifestyle. Sheri went missing from Florida. The UID was wearing a shirt from Florida. Also, I checked, and Florida does have some carbon black plants, so possibly she could have spent time working at a place like that. I think her features are very similar to the victim, including the eyebrows and strong jaw. The only thing I can't get past is that Sheri supposedly had her ears pierced and the UID did not. I do think even if the holes closed, you would still notice the piercings, no? This is what has stopped me from attempting to pursue this further. What do y'all think? Does that kill this possibility?
Irish Eyes, my stomach flipped three times when I saw the picture of Sheri on the other thread yesterday. The resemblance is pretty remarkable, imo. Sheri had full upper dentures, and a partial on the bottom. She also gave birth to at least one child. I might overlook the ear piercings, maybe even the little scars. I couldn't get past the black lung, though. I'm going to take another look.

ETA: Sheri went missing in 1986 when she was 23. The UID died in 1998. In 12 years she could have given birth again and developed the lung disease if she worked in a black coal plant. That leaves the scars and the pierced ears.

Irish Eyes, my stomach flipped three times when I saw the picture of Sheri on the other thread yesterday. The resemblance is pretty remarkable, imo. Sheri had full upper dentures, and a partial on the bottom. She also gave birth to at least one child. I might overlook the ear piercings, maybe even the little scars. I couldn't get passed the black lung, though. I'm going to take another look.

ETA: Sheri went missing in 1986 when she was 23. The UID died in 1998. In 12 years she could have given birth again and developed the lung disease if she worked in a black coal plant. That leaves the scars and the pierced ears.

I'm glad it's not just me, because I did the same thing, lol.
The scar on the face must not be all that noticeable - I don't see it in her pictures, which granted aren't the best quality. Could it have faded in that amount of time? If I remember she had a lot of cuts and scrapes and insect bites all over her body. Some of that was undoubtedly from the accident, but some of it may have been the result of a transient lifestyle. In such a case I could see the scar on the knee not being mentioned if it was just one small scar among many small scrapes/scars, etc. Unless it was a surgical type scar Sheri had, her info isn't specific as to what type.

But it bothers me that it specifically says that Sheri had pierced ears and that it specifically says that this girl did not.

Irish Eyes, my stomach flipped three times when I saw the picture of Sheri on the other thread yesterday. The resemblance is pretty remarkable, imo. Sheri had full upper dentures, and a partial on the bottom. She also gave birth to at least one child. I might overlook the ear piercings, maybe even the little scars. I couldn't get passed the black lung, though. I'm going to take another look.

Bessie,
Just my two cents on the black lung disease and I haven't a link but this can be substantiated throuch searching.
My father died of Black lung disease. Having lived in a mining town for 15 years my lungs have always been clear but I sought as much information as possible regarding this disease and was told there are other particles and toxins which cause or otherwise "mimic" black lung. Smoking is NOT one.

In coal mining, many coal seams are embedded in sandstone. This is especially true in the past couple of decades because the good hauls of straight coal are almost depleted. Separating this sandstone from the coal produces silica. Silica is the main culprit (so I am told) of black lung even among miners.

Silica and othergraphite particles are also an industrial hazard for persons working in glass manfucturing plants. These plants, at least a few years back were generally located near coal plants for easy access to their fuel supply which was coal. Some small plants operate on coal and coal oil but are hard to find now.

The point is, glass workers were subjected to not only coal by-products but to the silica as well. Tire manufacturers are also at risk. So to limit the cause of black lung to coal mining would not be productive when looking for a possible geographical location where a person may have lived. However, checking for past employment in or around sandstone quaries, glass plants and other companies producing these toxins might be helpful.

There are many glass producing plants along the Gulf coast.

One other important fact I gleaned from a conversation with my medical doctor is that the disease Pulminary Sarcoidosis (affecting more women than men) can mimic "Black Lung" disease.

I hope this is helpful.

Bessie,
Just my two cents on the black lung disease and I haven't a link but this can be substantiated throuch searching.
My father died of Black lung disease. Having lived in a mining town for 15 years my lungs have always been clear but I sought as much information as possible regarding this disease and was told there are other particles and toxins which cause or otherwise "mimic" black lung. Smoking is NOT one.

In coal mining, many coal seams are embedded in sandstone. This is especially true in the past couple of decades because the good hauls of straight coal are almost depleted. Separating this sandstone from the coal produces silica. Silica is the main culprit (so I am told) of black lung even among miners.

Silica and othergraphite particles are also an industrial hazard for persons working in glass manfucturing plants. These plants, at least a few years back were generally located near coal plants for easy access to their fuel supply which was coal. Some small plants operate on coal and coal oil but are hard to find now.

The point is, glass workers were subjected to not only coal by-products but to the silica as well. Tire manufacturers are also at risk. So to limit the cause of black lung to coal mining would not be productive when looking for a possible geographical location where a person may have lived. However, checking for past employment in or around sandstone quaries, glass plants and other companies producing these toxins might be helpful.

There are many glass producing plants along the Gulf coast.

One other important fact I gleaned from a conversation with my medical doctor is that the disease Pulminary Sarcoidosis (affecting more women than men) can mimic "Black Lung" disease.

I hope this is helpful.
I'm sorry I didn't see this last week, Baxter. I did some reading on the subject last year and learned the same thing about silica. It helps to hear it confirmed from someone who has done more extensive research. Here are a couple of my earlier posts. I agree with you that we shouldn't limit the UID's location of origin to coal mining regions.

(The "black lung" was a problem for me at first when considering Sheri until I read about her again and realized the 12 year time span.)

Black lung pneumoconiosis can be caused from working with man-made carbon, or carbon black. There are quite a few carbon black plants in south Louisiana. Locations of some of the largest plants in Louisiana are Addis, Centerville, Franklin, Ville Platte, Krotz Springs, and New Iberia.

Also, silicosis is also referred to as "black lung" and is a common occupational hazard for sandblasters in Louisiana from inhaling the silica in river sand.

The accident happened just a few miles outside of Louisiana. I know the site. There is a large rest area in the eastbound lane, and Stennis Space Center is just to the west of the I-10. At that time there was also a McDonald's or Burder King near the exit on 607. It sounds like she was living in the rest area and feeding from food left behind by tourists.

Since she was near a rest area along an interstate highway, she could've come from anywhere. The Appalachian region seems likely due to the black lung disease. It's not the only possibility, though. As I mentioned previously, there are carbon black manufacturers in south Louisiana in places like Addis, Centreville, and Ville Platte. South Texas has carbon black manufacturing plants, as well. Considering the proximity, I have to look at the possibility that the Doe had lived in one of those locations.

http://www.lungusa.org/lung-disease/pneumoconiosis/understanding-pneumoconiosis.html

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=carbo...manufacturers&hnear=Louisiana&t=h&z=8&vpsrc=0

In 1998, there were 21 hospitalizations in Louisiana for CWP, 29 in 1999. (See p.27 of the pdf)
http://new.dhh.louisiana.gov/assets...alth/Documents/Final_Occ_Indicator_Report.pdf

@Bessie.

Persistence, Bessie. Ya done good! Keep at it. This one should be resolved. Just a note from my quick look at the photo: I don't think you can depend so much on the length of her chin in the frontal photos as an identifyer. The distance and shape does not match up with the side view and there appears to be a lot of "clean up" which always alters the persons unique characteristics.

When Baxter mentioned silica/silicosis, a light went off....I remembered this song:

Mining For Gold - Cowboy Junkies - YouTube

It mentioned silicosis in relation to gold mining. So I dug a little more.

Coal miner's "black lung" and silicosis are both forms of pneumoconiosis:

Pneumoconiosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Colloquially, the terms might sometimes be used interchangeably. I found news stories from last year about Chinese gold miners getting black lung. I guess what we don't know is if the coroner was intending to specifically specify coal miner's pneumoconiosis (black lung) or pneumoconiosis in general, which includes silicosis and other mining dust related illnesses.

One question, if in fact she had black lung from coal exposure, I'm wondering if we can narrow it to carbon black plants....It sounds like if she had been mining coal she would have been eligible for disability benefits:

http://www.dol.gov/owcp/dcmwc/regs/compliance/blbenact.htm

However, this seems to specifically state "coal mining" and not work in a carbon black plant. Maybe plant workers are not afforded the same protection?

I had this to say a little over a year ago on this topic:

I found this at webmd, regarding black lung disease. it is not limited to coal miners, but it looks like the disease is ALWAYS occupational so merely living in a coal mining town would not cause the disease.

The inhalation and accumulation of coal dust causes coal workers' pneumoconiosis (CWP). This stems from working in a coal mine, coal trimming (loading and stowing coal for storage), mining or milling graphite, and manufacturing carbon electrodes (used in certain types of large furnaces) and carbon black (a compound used in many items, such as tires and other rubber goods). Because CWP is a reaction to accumulated dust in the lungs, it may appear and get worse during your exposure to the dust or after your exposure has ceased.

http://www.webmd.com/lung/tc/black-l...topic-overview

due to globalization I have not been able to pinpoint any US based graphite plants or carbon electrode manufacturers. I am sure some are still around, and perhaps there were a few more around pre-1998, but I just can find a specific plant in the US with a specific location (corporate HQ aside).

since the disease is almost always occupational, this woman should have had a claim for some benefits. however we all know things do not always happen as they should in real life.

Robin Maria Lusk, a 39 year old woman who went missing on April 25, 1993 was recently added to NamUs. Although there isn't a photo of Ms. Lusk, her physical description reminded me of this UID. https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/17370/75

the height is good, and the rare eye color is good. Weight and location not a perfect match but we are looking at a span of 5 years here. I think this is a worthwhile endeavor to call in. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. :)

this potential match in some ways is almost surreal, although she is probably not a match.

Diana Renee Loewen was last seen in Rancho Cordova, CA. her circumstances state that "The MP is a transient who was last seen on the evening of 11/02/1997 at approximatley 2200 hours. She was "dumpster diving" with a fellow friend."

Diana had red/auburn hair and grey eyes (per Namus grey/blue, although other MP sites say her eyes were green). she was 37 y.o., supposedly 5'9" to 5'11" and weighed anywhere from 130 lbs to 170 lbs.

there are no references to any scars on Diana. she is taller than the UID (5'3" for UID)although we did see that case of the missing woman from CA where there was a 5"-10" discrepancy between the MP and UID (I think that is the new record here for measurements being off).

in the DL photo Diana has teeth so if they are real then she's not the UID. if they are dentures, then it is possible that the UID lost her dentures somewhere along the way.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/17310/0/

Wow, webrocket, that is intriguing, but I think the height more or less rules it out. Although it has happened that we've seen big height discrepancies before, this Jane Doe was found within hours after she passed, so she was in reasonably good condition. I think the bigger height discrepancies tend to be found in cases where the coroner is dealing with skeletal or partial remains. You could always verify that it's not a typo on the MP side, but I don't think it is, because Diana doesn't look like a heavy person and her listed weight would be much heavier on someone who was 5'3 say versus 5'9.

I don't know why this case drives me bonkers, but it does. Maybe because we have some reasonably good photos to work from and pretty detailed coroner info and we still can't find her.

I tried to find out more about Diana. I can tell you this much, she was not born Diana Renee Loewen in the State of California. so at this time I do not know if that was her maiden or married name or if she ever had children.

Irish, as for the height, I forget the name of the UID who died in a motor vehicle accident in AZ, but they had her body as they were able to get tattoo information on the deceased. I can't for the life of me understand how they measured her so short. their high end, if I'm not mistaken was 4'10" which is very short for a white woman in this day and age.

Thick brown liquid=chocolate shake. Fits perfect with her eating the remains of a leftover fast food meal at the rest area, fries, pickle, remains of a chocolate shake.

the height is good, and the rare eye color is good. Weight and location not a perfect match but we are looking at a span of 5 years here. I think this is a worthwhile endeavor to call in. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. :)

Namus now says that the person at that link (who I now assume was Robin Maria Lusk, if it was a correct link) has been found/identified. So she isn't likely to be our Doe, or if she is then a law enforcement announcement is due.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/homes/error_case_access?reason=found

Miss. exhumation sought in new leads on 2 missing La. women

Faulk told the newspaper he has been contacted over the past year by several groups looking into missing persons cases. That led to the discovery of similarities in the “Jane Doe” who died in the county of a hit-and-run accident in 1998 and two missing Louisiana women, Faye Aline Self, of Coushatta, and Nelda Louise Hardwick, of Lake Charles.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/arti...xhumation-sought-new-leads-2-missing-La-women

Thank you so much for the link, Cat! I've always believed Nelda Hardwick and the UID share a strong resemblance; Faye Aline Self, not so much. No matter what the results, DNA confirmation will bring relief to their families. This is wonderful news.

I agree about Nelda. She very strongly resembles the Jane Doe. From what I can see of her left ear, they have a similar shape. And their hairlines are very similar too. I don't think the four-year gap is that big of a deal. She could have very easily dumped her bf and opted for a life as a drifter.

It would be so good if Nelda could finally come home...

It sure would, carbuff, and it would be equally wonderful for this Jane Doe to finally find her name.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bailey__Powell
Back