MS - Jessica Chambers, 19, found burned near her car, Panola County, 6 Dec 2014 - #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think he lied. I am wondering why not talk to BC face to face? Texting is so impersonal.

I wouldn't call him a liar but I believe he is probably known to embellish details to make his (mostly truthful) stories more interesting and/or believable, or to emphasize the point he is trying to make. We're all a little guilty of that, intentionally or not.

As far as that text message, my guess is either
- it was a reply to a text from Ben asking about the status of the case (and may be weeks old,) or
- it's Ben's way of expressing his belief & confidence in local authorities in response to a reporter's leading question or after reading other reporters & bloggers express outrage about corruption, incompetence, coverups, etc.

Watch press conferences and on-air interviews on cable news channels. Media are constantly going for the "get" - it can be a 3 word reply to a question (sometimes taken completely out of context) or a 3 minute response that the media can turn into a click-bait headline or promotional teasers such as (in my best Wolf Blitzer or Anderson Cooper imitation):

"Did police refuse to investigate allegations that a drowned Miami teen found tangled in a casting net in Biscayne Bay was murdered by 3 men who shouted [politically incorrect] slurs while using a lasso to catch him and then wrapping the weighted net around him before tossing his body off of a pier?

His family's attorney will be joining us with the stunning details.

That story and more coming up next."

Local reporters aren't stupid. On- and off-air staff positions continue to be cut. They've got to produce stories that get attention from readers and viewers.

(Stepping down off of my soapbox and slinking back to my corner now.)

Wasn't there an incident in Ferguson during the protests where someone was shot and set on fire in his car? Seems to me he was a witness who testified against MB. I deleted all my bookmarks regarding Ferguson. Does anyone remember that incident?

:cow:

I believe that was discredited as rumors & speculation because the fellow with Mike Brown posted on social media that the guy was his cousin. I'm not sure if there have been any arrests in that case because I don't remember his name. I think I read on here somewhere (maybe a scanner thread) that LE had reports of that vehicle traveling at a high rate of speed and shots being fired from inside of it the night before the body was found.

On a completely unrelated note, did I hear Lisa Daugherty correctly when she told Tricia that someone from the Holly Bobo family or group was at her house when she returned from the medical center the day of Jessica's death?

(A personal note to Lisa Daugherty if she reads on here, regarding her neighbor and Jessica's friend, Aunt Sha-Sha -
The rumors on social media and less responsible news outlets tried to paint your daughter's death as a racially fueled hate crime early on. I think that may be the reason Sha-Sha has avoided speaking to you. She may be afraid that you suspect any and all black people, not because of anything you've said or done, but based on the crazy things that were posted on Twitter and Facebook.

Also, I know my dad couldn't & wouldn't visit his friend whose son - who was the same age as my brother - died in a car wreck at age 18. It shook my dad up too much and he just didn't know what to say. I think he was also afraid he would get too emotional.)

I believe that was discredited as rumors & speculation because the fellow with Mike Brown posted on social media that the guy was his cousin. I'm not sure if there have been any arrests in that case because I don't remember his name. I think I read on here somewhere (maybe a scanner thread) that LE had reports of that vehicle traveling at a high rate of speed and shots being fired from inside of it the night before the body was found.

On a completely unrelated note, did I hear Lisa Daugherty correctly when she told Tricia that someone from the Holly Bobo family or group was at her house when she returned from the medical center the day of Jessica's death?

(A personal note to Lisa Daugherty if she reads on here, regarding her neighbor and Jessica's friend, Aunt Sha-Sha -
The rumors on social media and less responsible news outlets tried to paint your daughter's death as a racially fueled hate crime early on. I think that may be the reason Sha-Sha has avoided speaking to you. She may be afraid that you suspect any and all black people, not because of anything you've said or done, but based on the crazy things that were posted on Twitter and Facebook.

Also, I know my dad couldn't & wouldn't visit his friend whose son - who was the same age as my brother - died in a car wreck at age 18. It shook my dad up too much and he just didn't know what to say. I think he was also afraid he would get too emotional.)

If there was someone from Holly Bobo's case at Lisa's house after Jessica's murder, I believe her. I did not hear the interview because I don't have speakers. I do think LE has a grasp on the scope of the investigation.

I merely responded to your #497 post about announcing a grand jury. I don't believe grand juries are announced.
JMO
Idle threats or a reason to keep word about a suspect(s) quiet? A grand jury without a suspect? If this is how they are announcing a grand jury, it's very unusual

First of all I'm using the word announce in an informal sense such as tell or say. Second the public often does know that the grand jury has been convened. It is the workings of the grand jury that are secret. But the media often reports whether or not the grand jury has convened for the day etc. Finally as much as anything I was replying to your "announcement:"

MOO but it wouldn't surprise me if they are talking of releasing info because the info is about to be seen by the Grand Jury
Also this concerning retaliation.

the only retaliatory behavior on the part of loved ones is one of supporting law enforcement

Although we certainly expect BC will conduct himself appropriately he has made inflammatory comments to the contrary. so it wouldn't surprise me if LE continues to hold evidence closely, just in case.

I wouldn't call him a liar but I believe he is probably known to embellish details to make his (mostly truthful) stories more interesting and/or believable, or to emphasize the point he is trying to make. We're all a little guilty of that, intentionally or not.

Am I missing something pertaining to the text message Darby sent BC? It was a simple text message that BC related .... I saw no embellishment whatsoever.

Idle threats or a reason to keep word about a suspect(s) quiet? A grand jury without a suspect? If this is how they are announcing a grand jury, it's very unusual

First of all I'm using the word announce in an informal sense such as tell or say. Second the public often does know that the grand jury has been convened. It is the workings of the grand jury that are secret. But the media often reports whether or not the grand jury has convened for the day etc. Finally as much as anything I was replying to your "announcement:"

Also this concerning retaliation.

Although we certainly expect BC will conduct himself appropriately he has made inflammatory comments to the contrary. so it wouldn't surprise me if LE continues to hold evidence closely, just in case.

Mississippi uses the grand jury process. I doubt the public is told when the grand jury is given evidence about a suspect. It would be highly prejudicial if LE publicly named a suspect prior to giving the grand jury the evidence.

JMO

Sorry too many eyes on LE/FBI/ATF, this case will be solved and perpetrator(s) brought to justice. They need to keep talking/monitoring people. AND, since the perpetrators are likely not first time offenders or geniuses, they will commit more crimes and eventually get caught./Jmo
Just attempting to bring in found possibility (with the Evelyn Foster case) as, quite frankly, received wisdom can get a bit thick.

Finding Jessica Chambers' Killer Turns Cold
Posted: Feb 02, 2015 5:50 PM CST Updated: Feb 02, 2015 8:54 PM CST
By Darrell Greene, Anchor

[...]

District Attorney John Champion confirmed that there are no new leads to speak of in this case.

Four different law enforcement agencies are working this case. Panola County Sheriff Dennis Darby, his staff, and the Mississippi Bureau of Investigations, U.S. Marshals, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation have teams of investigators working nonstop on the case.

[...]

Both DA Champion and Sheriff Darby have been targets of critics who say they've mishandled the investigation. But both say all that can be done is being done until Jessica's murderer is found. "It'll take time," Sheriff Darby said. "We'll get there. It's just going to take a while. You remember the Holly Bobo case? It's something that nobody likes waiting on."

[...]

Meanwhile, the reward for information leading to an arrest in the Jessica Chambers murder case has risen to $53,000. If you have any information call 1-800-729-2169.

a youtube version of the same. Sorry, I had seen it less well streamed previously, and mistaken the person with her mom as her aunt, but it's a friend of Jessica's, on her birthday.

Am I missing something pertaining to the text message Darby sent BC? It was a simple text message that BC related .... I saw no embellishment whatsoever.

I was trying to indicate that the text message itself may be an embellishment, mentioned simply to confirm his belief in local law enforcement. As several have mentioned, it seems impersonal and to me it just seems unusual for an official to do, whether once or on a periodic basis.

I am relying on what is reported by media, like everyone else here is, I think. We've heard she was on fire and walking down the road and that she was found on the ground next to the car on fire. I've read she had fuel poured down her nose and throat, or she inhaled the vapors of an accelerant, burning her breathing passages. She had burns from the top of her head to the tops of her feet. She had a gash on her head, or she did not have a gash on her head. She went to a party, or there was no party, or maybe she was the party. We've been told white biker gangs told BC this and urban black gangs told him that. We've even heard him talk about whether the perpetrator(s) should be placed in solitary confinement when he/she/they are arrested.

Maybe every thing he has told media the first night and since (or that media has reported he said) will be borne out by evidence and testimony. Some of it seems contradictory to me but that could simply be my own perceptions and opinions.

I am in no way insinuating he is intentionally misleading anyone. I do think sometimes people use language figuratively but it is reported as if it is literal and factual. Sometimes it is done to pique the public's interest and other times it is an honest misunderstanding by a reporter or someone who speaks to a reporter.

I have yet to hear any facts confirming there was anyone other than Jessica in or at the car when it left the pavement or when it burned. I've not heard of any container used to the accelerant or what type of accelerant it might be, what the ignition source was or if something was used to immobilize her. That doesn't mean there is none.

I was trying to indicate that the text message itself may be an embellishment, mentioned simply to confirm his belief in local law enforcement. As several have mentioned, it seems impersonal and to me it just seems unusual for an official to do, whether once or on a periodic basis.

I am relying on what is reported by media, like everyone else here is, I think. We've heard she was on fire and walking down the road and that she was found on the ground next to the car on fire. I've read she had fuel poured down her nose and throat, or she inhaled the vapors of an accelerant, burning her breathing passages. She had burns from the top of her head to the tops of her feet. She had a gash on her head, or she did not have a gash on her head. She went to a party, or there was no party, or maybe she was the party. We've been told white biker gangs told BC this and urban black gangs told him that. We've even heard him talk about whether the perpetrator(s) should be placed in solitary confinement when he/she/they are arrested.

Maybe every thing he has told media the first night and since (or that media has reported he said) will be borne out by evidence and testimony. Some of it seems contradictory to me but that could simply be my own perceptions and opinions.

I am in no way insinuating he is intentionally misleading anyone. I do think sometimes people use language figuratively but it is reported as if it is literal and factual. Sometimes it is done to pique the public's interest and other times it is an honest misunderstanding by a reporter or someone who speaks to a reporter.

I have yet to hear any facts confirming there was anyone other than Jessica in or at the car when it left the pavement or when it burned. I've not heard of any container used to the accelerant or what type of accelerant it might be, what the ignition source was or if something was used to immobilize her. That doesn't mean there is none.

Oh ok, I misunderstood the meaning of the word 'embellish' in your post .... 'embellishment' usually means 'overly dramatic' or 'adding drama for emphasis'.

lies

This day and time MSM news outlets depend on gossip floating around = their socalled interviews ..... that's why there's been so many different stories reported about JC = "in the car, out of the car, walking, lying down", etc. MSM news is not like it was in the days of Walter Chronkite .... they've become more like the rag 'Enquirer'.

The case of the burned body found in TN has hit a roadblock with trying to ID the victim. They did find a ring near the body and are using the photo to get more information. I would have to assume the victim is female, but not certain of it. Please take a look at the ring.

Do we know if Jessica was wearing any jewelry?

This is only a little over 4 hours away from where Jessica was found and we should keep up with what is going on there. The cases are quite similar in some respects.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...Adams-February-1-2015&p=11459642#post11459642

The case of the burned body found in TN has hit a roadblock with trying to ID the victim. They did find a ring near the body and are using the photo to get more information. I would have to assume the victim is female, but not certain of it. Please take a look at the ring.

This is only a little over 4 hours away from where Jessica was found and we should keep up with what is going on there. The cases are quite similar in some respects.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...Adams-February-1-2015&p=11459642#post11459642

You bring up an excellent point Seriously Searching, re: jewelry. I am not sure if JC was wearing jewelry that day but there are pictures online where she is wearing diamond/gemstone studs and other types. Maybe she wore them all the time. Did LE ever find metal from anything like a purse or coins from wallet or would type of metal survive fire? (I think Machiado recently brought up "metal" too). If the purse/wallet metal is able to survive, but there is no evidence of it in the car, may be someone stole her purse/wallet and crime includes robbery, idk. (I thought that JC had purse in M&M video, but not entirely sure). Re: number of arson(s) in general area, I wonder if LE/FBI are looking into the # of arson/car arson deaths to see if unusual pattern, interesting though. Jmo/

As the title suggests, I would like to focus on the fact that several reports stated "lighter fluid" was poured down Jessica's throat. Here is one example from the NY Daily News:

"Cops hope the final words of a Mississippi teen burned alive will lead authorities to her attacker, who poured lighter fluid down her throat before setting her aflame, police and family members said."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/burned-teen-told-cops-killer-died-family-article-1.2039398

My question is this: if it was really lighter fluid, like you would fill a Ronson lighter with, isn't that pretty antiquated? Don't most smokers use disposable butane lighters nowadays? If so, I imagine only a few stores would carry the small cans of lighter fluid that were pretty common at one time. Maybe somebody remembers selling a can, or somebody in the community that uses a Zippo instead of a BIC?

On the other hand, the term can also be applied to the larger (quart size?) cans used to start charcoal. Although there are several other ways to start charcoal today (self-starting briquettes, electric resistance wands, stovepipes) it would probably be a commonly sold item at most convenience stores.

These two general types of lighter fluid have different chemical compositions. Once again, it sure would be nice if the Panola County Coroner's office would be a little more forthcoming with their autopsy findings.

Thoughts, comments?

41BgpKqswhL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

I have been thinking about Jessica going to a party, and from what I have read, she was really particular about how she looked. Given that, I don't believe she would go to a party in her pajama bottoms and her hair sloppily put up. I have posted this before, but I believe AA is the key to finding out what happened to JC.

I agree, and unfortunately/coincidently, AA has left MS. I do acknowledge, as a prior discussion from a past thread, that he is young, and if he was my son, I would have gotten him out of there on the first thing smoking as well, especially considering the alleged death threats and whatnot. I just find it to be so suiting of this insanely frustrating case, where nothing makes sense and it seems as if anyone could be a guilty party, or completely innocent; have complete knowledge of what happened or have no idea; be gang related or have nothing whatsoever to do with gangs; it is so suiting that the one person who to some of us appears to possibly be he whom has useful information, is no longer present.

As the title suggests, I would like to focus on the fact that several reports stated "lighter fluid" was poured down Jessica's throat. Here is one example from the NY Daily News:

"Cops hope the final words of a Mississippi teen burned alive will lead authorities to her attacker, who poured lighter fluid down her throat before setting her aflame, police and family members said."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/burned-teen-told-cops-killer-died-family-article-1.2039398

My question is this: if it was really lighter fluid, like you would fill a Ronson lighter with, isn't that pretty antiquated? Don't most smokers use disposable butane lighters nowadays? If so, I imagine only a few stores would carry the small cans of lighter fluid that were pretty common at one time. Maybe somebody remembers selling a can, or somebody in the community that uses a Zippo instead of a BIC?

On the other hand, the term can also be applied to the larger (quart size?) cans used to start charcoal. Although there are several other ways to start charcoal today (self-starting briquettes, electric resistance wands, stovepipes) it would probably be a commonly sold item at most convenience stores.

These two general types of lighter fluid have different chemical compositions. Once again, it sure would be nice if the Panola County Coroner's office would be a little more forthcoming with their autopsy findings.

Thoughts, comments?

View attachment 68700

If there was an accellerant used, and if it was lighter fluid, I am pretty sure it would have been charcoal lighter fluid. I am a smoker, and I have not used a refillable lighter in ages, nor do I know anyone who has, and can't recall the last time I saw anyone light up with anything other than a Bic or some other disposable lighter. Most convenience stores don't even give you a book of matches when you buy a pack of cigarettes anymore, because almost everyone uses disposable lighters. As you said, almost every convenience store sells charcoal lighter fluid, however. JMO

Could be lighter fluid like you put in re-usable lighters. Still fairly common but certainly not as widely used as disposables. I think the only folks I know who use the refillable lighters are men who have some significance attached to the lighter... you know, granddaddy's old Zippo or maybe one with some type of emblem that has meaning. I have a few biker friends and they use refillable lighters with Harley Davidson emblems on them. My dad had a silver refillable with his monogram, given as a gift. Normal, everyday lighters are disposable. IMO.

I live in the south and when I hear "lighter fluid" I think of charcoal starter.

Both burnings occurred on a week-end, Jessica being burned late on Saturday and this body in Tennessee being burned early Sunday morning. Both were gray, drizzly weather days. Both had witnesses on the scene so soon after the burnings that they saw actual fire. Assuming the TN body was a homicide, both perps. left the scenes quickly... perhaps within minutes of the witnesses driving by.

Who would carry around lighter fluid...? A shake and bake cooker...

Classito

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member