MS - Jessica Chambers, 19, Panola County, Dec 2014 #3 *MISTRIAL*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Population Demographics for Oktibbeha County, Mississippi in 2017, 2018

Oktibbeha County, Mississippi Population 2017, 2018

Question #1 to prospective jurors: What does "a unanimous verdict" mean?

Starkville is only about a two hour drive from Batesville, so very doubtful whether anyone there is unaware of the Jessica Chambers murder. At least it's probably far enough away not to pull in relatives of either the victim or the accused.

Best,
Clouseau

Population Demographics for Oktibbeha County, MS* in 2017, 2018
White 59%
Black 36%
* Jury selection for 2018 trial in Panola County
Population Demographics for Panola County, MS in 2017, 2018
White 49%
Black 48%

Population Demographics for Pike County, MS** in 2017, 2018

Black 51%
White 46%
** Jury selection for 2017 trial in Panola County

Is this an issue the defense would appeal if a conviction is won this time by the prosecution? The defendant is black, the victim was white. It's a delicate balance finding both a "change in venue" and a "jury of peers" at the same time. There was no hint of racism in the first trial, but I doubt the Public Defenders would remain silent about this noticeable difference.

Was there a person that was tweeting during the first trial? I can always copy/paste those here. I looked at my list & don't have anyone.

TIA!

Was there a person that was tweeting during the first trial? I can always copy/paste those here. I looked at my list & don't have anyone.

TIA!
Niner,

Please excuse my ignorance, as I am not a Twitter user except for reading comments on Twitchy -- "dumb phone" user only. There are several twitter links in the Moderator's Post #1 of this thread. I looked back at the previous WS thread (covering the last half of the trial) and noted tweets being repeated to the thread from at least three sources: Leah Beth Bolton @LeahBethFOX13, Tish Clark @local24tish, and Cathy @CCLawNewz. Not sure though if any will be involved in re-trial coverage. Maybe you can twit a tweet (sorry, don't know the lingo) their way and ask? Hope this helps.

Best,
Clouseau

Thank you for that info rbarber!

I'm not a tweeter or is it twitter user either? LOL!

UNSPEAKABLE CRIME: THE KILLING OF JESSICA CHAMBERS PREMIERES SEPTEMBER 15TH (with clip)

"Unspeakable Crime: The Killing of Jessica Chambers airs on Oxygen as a limited series event beginning Saturday, September 15th at 7/6c."

Unspeakable Crime: The Killing of Jessica Chambers Premieres September 15th
----

PEOPLE Explains: Jessica Chambers' Alleged Murderer Goes on Trial Again

September 13, 2018

"...Tellis will go back on trial on Sept. 24 in a courtroom in Batesville, Mississippi, where the first trial unfolded 11 months ago.

He has maintained his innocence."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UNSPEAKABLE CRIME: THE KILLING OF JESSICA CHAMBERS PREMIERES SEPTEMBER 15TH (with clip)

"Unspeakable Crime: The Killing of Jessica Chambers airs on Oxygen as a limited series event beginning Saturday, September 15th at 7/6c."

Unspeakable Crime: The Killing of Jessica Chambers Premieres September 15th
----

September 13, 2018

"...Tellis will go back on trial on Sept. 24 in a courtroom in Batesville, Mississippi, where the first trial unfolded 11 months ago.

He has maintained his innocence."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Curious about something stated in this recent PEOPLE magazine article:

"If convicted of murder in the Chambers case, Tellis faces life in prison without parole."

When was capital punishment taken off the table, does anybody have a link? I thought Tellis had been indicted by a grand jury for capital murder. Has the DA (Champion) decided to remove the threat of execution if convicted, in order to improve the state's chances of winning a conviction? If so, when was that decision made, before or after the mistrial?

Regards,
Clouseau

'I hope he burns in hell!': Jessica Chambers' mom visits scene where the 19-year-old was burned alive, as suspect argues she named ANOTHER man with her dying breath and the case is blamed for igniting local 'race war'

14 September 2018

"...She returned to the scene for Oxygen's new docu-series Unspeakable Crime: The Killing of Jessica Chambers.

'I used to come here a lot. It just felt like you could feel her here — I know that sounds crazy,' said Lisa. 'Jessica was last seen at the end of this road.'...

'I know my son didn't do this, they are just looking for someone to put this murder on,' his mother Rebecca Wright told Oxygen.

Jessica's sister, AJ Prince, doesn't believe his protestations, saying she 'absolutely believe (Tellis) did it, 100 per cent.'

But her mother is less certain.

She believes that any person who could do this is a monster.

'This would have to be done my a heartless, soulless person,' she said. 'Demonic in my opinion.'

'If (Tellis) killed my daughter, I hope he burns in hell.'

Lisa is hoping for justice for her daughter, and answers...."

Mom of girl, 19, burned alive returns to the scene of her horrific murder | Daily Mail Online
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If convicted of murder in the Chambers case, Tellis faces life in prison without parole."

When was capital punishment taken off the table, does anybody have a link? I thought Tellis had been indicted by a grand jury for capital murder. Has the DA (Champion) decided to remove the threat of execution if convicted, in order to improve the state's chances of winning a conviction? If so, when was that decision made, before or after the mistrial?

Regards,
Clouseau

BBM

Jessica Chambers Murder Trial: Unraveling The Murder Charges Against Quinton Tellis

October 10th, 2017

"...The Mississippi Charges

Tellis is accused of violating Mississippi Code § 97-3-19(2)(e), capital murder, as a habitual offender. The murder of Jessica Chambers qualifies as capital murder in Mississippi because Chambers died during the commission of a third-degree arson. (Her vehicle was also burned.) The habitual offender enhancer involves three prior convictions. Tellis previously committed felony fleeing (in 2010), burglary of a dwelling (also in 2010), and burglary of a dwelling (in 2012).

Capital murder carries one of three punishments in Mississippi: (1) the death penalty, (2) life in prison without parole, or (3) life in prison with the chance at parole after a minimum sentence. In the Chambers case, prosecutors refused to seek the death penalty. Additionally, because Tellis is charged as a habitual offender, he is ineligible for the chance at parole. Effectively, if convicted, Tellis will be sentenced to life without parole in Mississippi.

The Louisiana Charges

Tellis is accused of violating Louisiana Revised Statute 14:30, first-degree felony murder. Under Louisiana law, first-degree murder requires an aggravating factor beyond the mere killing of an individual. Included in the aggravating factors is the killing or inflicting great bodily harm and subsequently receiving anything of value for the killing. Under the law in effect at the time of the crime, the debit card itself was a “thing of value,” and Tellis previously pleaded guilty for taking it. (The law under which he entered his plea was repealed this year [2017] and apparently replaced with a different law.)

According to an arrest warrant, Tellis faces this top charge for murder in Louisiana because he bragged to an acquaintance that he stabbed Hsiao more than thirty times in an attempt to learn her debit card PIN. The document states prosecutors have evidence Tellis used Hsiao’s card to withdraw approximately $2,000 across various transactions.

The penalty for first-degree felony murder in Louisiana is either the death penalty or life in prison “at hard labor” without parole, probation, or a suspended sentence. It is unclear which penalty Louisiana prosecutors will seek."

Jessica Chambers Murder Trial: Unraveling The Murder Charges Against Quinton Tellis
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Regards,
Clouseau

Found a CBS News article published during the trial with the following information:

Jessica Chambers case: Burned teen's own words before death key at murder trial

"Tellis faces life in prison without parole if convicted, according to an April 18 [2017] court filing in which state prosecutors disclosed they wouldn't seek the death penalty."

That must've been quite a disappointment for Ben and Lisa.

C'est la vie,
Clouseau

"Prosecutors said Monday that a witness has been found who allegedly gave Tellis a ride from an area close to where Chambers' car keys were found to Tellis' sister's home. Three additional witnesses connected to that information will also be introduced in the Tellis' retrial, officials said."

I had always been curious about QT leaving there and going to get the gas and then back again - seemed like too much time wasted. I wonder if he was hitch hiking or if this witness knew him. Where was this witness before?!

Just now noticing your earlier posts, Steleheart and Niner. I must've missed them during all the brouhaha over Champion's being accused by the defense of misconduct. Sounds like the prosecution has a very good case now, or at least one better than before. For one thing, how can the defense explain away Quentin Tellis being placed by an eyewitness within a few steps of the crime scene (before the fire) on the night of the murder, regardless of what first responders thought they heard Jessica say?

Like the MBI investigator told Tellis during one of his interviews, if you didn't do it you know who did.

Regards,
Clouseau

I have seen a picture of QT smiling after the first trial was declared a mistrial... every time I see it, I want to puke my guts out.

My best friend lived in Pope when Jessica was murdered. He said it changed everything in the Courtland / Pope area; it will NEVER be the same.

I want justice for Jessica, her family and friends, and the state of Mississippi. I hope the jurors from Oktibbeha County are able to understand directions given to them by the judge, and they are able to draw a conclusion that gives Jessica the justice she deserves.

I just watched the special on TV tonight. And I have more questions now than I did before.
First of all, I find the location of where the car was found suspicious. It appears as if it COULD have been an accident of some kind. Has that been completely eliminated as a possibility?? It was a junker. She could have ran off the road. The car could have blown up.
The other thing that bothers me is this $50,000 reward. Not ONE lead from that. This area looks to be very economically frail. If there was a group or more than one person involved, $50,000 would be a fortune to these people. They would have talked.
The evidence the prosecutors have seems to be weak circumstantial evidence. The defendant’s DNA on her keys, etc. They were friends. And he had driven her car before.
The big one would be why when the first responders asked her who did this, why not say the correct name? Or maybe she was just so hurt, she didn’t know what she was saying.

Tried to find him in Panola County & then tried Oktibbeha, but there you have to pay.... just wondering "what" time this trial starts.

Also, I have no tweeter bookmarked - anyone? Or "where" might I be able to find some on this thread? TIA! :)

{SNIP}{SNIP}{SNIP}
First of all, I find the location of where the car was found suspicious. It appears as if it COULD have been an accident of some kind. Has that been completely eliminated as a possibility?? It was a junker. She could have ran off the road. The car could have blown up.
{SNIP}{SNIP}{SNIP}

ArabianLover,

Forgive me for answering your question with a question, but if the scene appeared to be just another accident, which first responders would likely have seen many times before, why were they trying so urgently to find out from Jessica "who did this"? Why were they scanning the surrounding woods suspiciously, and why was one of them thinking of getting a personal firearm from his vehicle?

Sorry, did not see this program, but these are things that came out during the trial and may not have been mentioned in it.

Regards,
Clouseau

I just watched the special on TV tonight. And I have more questions now than I did before.
The other thing that bothers me is this $50,000 reward. Not ONE lead from that. This area looks to be very economically frail. If there was a group or more than one person involved, $50,000 would be a fortune to these people. They would have talked.
The evidence the prosecutors have seems to be weak circumstantial evidence. The defendant’s DNA on her keys, etc. They were friends. And he had driven her car before.
The big one would be why when the first responders asked her who did this, why not say the correct name? Or maybe she was just so hurt, she didn’t know what she was saying.
I followed this case when it first happened for a long time. I just watched documentary last night.
I was under the impression she had only been hanging out with QT for a couple of weeks. I think if you compare his actions with JC and the young woman in Louisiana - you can see the way he works. He’s a thief who first appears to be a friend- who likes to torture and kill, imo.
A friend said JC had meth drug that day and wanted to sell/exchange for cocaine. I suspect he took money she had and purchased the prepaid debit card that night. He may have taken the drugs to sell as well.
Same MO with LA girl - supposedly “bought” her prescription drugs from her but later found with her debit card and PIN number.
We assume someone who loved his mother and sisters so much (according to them) could never do this to someone but serial killers with families can be nice to them and still horribly kill others.
Why did JESSICA say ERIC? Did she? Maybe she said, “Sheriff” - as in call the sheriff. In the trauma of being brutally murdered (by a supposed friend) her thoughts were probably on her Father and his relationship with sheriff dept - her mind ‘focused’ on needing to call the sheriff office - where her father worked and she wasn’t even listening to those people asking her questions - she was just thinking, I need help! I want my father.
Or maybe her throat was so severely damaged the letters of the word(s) didn’t come out right.
I don’t believe in coincidence - last seen with two women - two women dead.

No doubt the defendant is a bad, bad lad -- but she named someone else as her killer.

Unfortunate, perhaps, but such is justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhampton