VERDICT WATCH MS - Jessica Chambers, 19, Panola County, Dec 2014 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As with the first trial, DNA testing of Jessica's key chain by Scale Biological Lab was inconclusive. The first type of testing, autosomal, which examines 16 targeted areas of the 23 pairs of chromosomes contained in every human cell excluded Tellis from the mixture. However, secondary testing of just the "Y" chromosome, which only males have, identified a mixture of four males and could not exclude Tellis.

The expert witness explained a possible reason Tellis' DNA, if present, was not detected in the autosomal testing. The "XY" male chromosomes detected on that initiial testing were greatly overshadowed (masked) by the shear volume of "XX" female chromosomes in the mixture, making the sample a good candidate for the secondary testing.

She gave an example of an unrelated case where a female had been murdered with a knife which was coated with the female's blood. Because of the large amount of female DNA from the blood, no male DNA was detected in the autosomal testing. But by excluded the female DNA from the sample by concentrating specifically on male "XY" chromosome testing, a match with the male suspect was achieved in the secondary testing which excluded the "masking" female DNA present. So the seeming inconsistency of exclusion of Tellis by the autosomal testing, but inability to exclude him with the secondary testing is simply explained by the sheer volume of female DNA material in the mixture masking the male DNA present.

Regards,
Clouseau

Closeau,
Wife and I watched the third episode last night on oxygen (1st trial). And saw what you were saying about the inclusion and exclusion testimony of QT's DNA being found on Jessica's keys and that 3 other male's "Y" chromosomes were found on the keys besides just Quinton's. After watching that testimony those facts changed our minds about whether he committed this crime, at the very least, it raised suspicion in our minds. My wife and I both are curious about Jerry King after watching his testimony. The fact he picked up the keys (supposedly) took them back to his house, then called police and they (police and Jerry) went back out to the spot where he (supposedly) had found them, photographed this particular spot and then took them back and kept them for evidence, not to mention the interview of one of the first responder's (Big guy with sunglasses) who happens to be the brother of Jerry's quote, "Baby's Momma," made us both pause for a moment.

We both are looking back to the evidence from the murder of Meing-Chen Hsiao in Monroe, Louisiana in 2015. My wife makes a good point, in that case Tellis went to the ATM with Meing-Chen Hsiao's card and was caught on camera making withdrawals on three consecutive days. Her point is, someone who wasn't bright enough to figure out they were being captured on camera withdrawing money from an ATM and would be asked about these transactions later when questioned, did not probably have the mental capacity to conceal or cover up evidence by burning a vehicle where they had committed a crime and then dispose of the keys in a random field while walking home. I was convinced of his guilt, but now that I have seen the DNA testimony and heard more about the new evidence in regards to the cell phone, I am not so convinced.

Anyhow, Bonnie and I are both curious to the verdict in this second trial, but we both can understand the mistrial verdict from the first.

Happy Sleuthing,
Clyde

Tish Clark‏ @local24tish 4m4 minutes ago
Judge calling in jury to see where they are in deliberations. They started at 2:30pm #QuintonTellis #JessicaChambers @LocalMemphis

Bridget Chapman‏Verified account @bchapman_WREG3 5m5 minutes ago
Judge says jurors have been deliberating for about four hours, so he wants to call them in and see what their status is.

Bridget Chapman‏Verified account @bchapman_WREG3 4m4 minutes ago
Judge asks jurors for progress report. "I don't necessarily expect the jury to reach the verdict on my time - this is your time."
He asks if their deliberations are moving along. The foreman replies, "I feel like they are, but we need a little more time."
#JessicaChambers

Tish Clark‏ @local24tish 4m4 minutes ago
Judge calling in jury to see where they are in deliberations. They started at 2:30pm #QuintonTellis #JessicaChambers @LocalMemphis

Bridget Chapman‏Verified account @bchapman_WREG3 5m5 minutes ago
Judge says jurors have been deliberating for about four hours, so he wants to call them in and see what their status is.

Judge asks jurors for progress report. "I don't necessarily expect the jury to reach the verdict on my time - this is your time."
He asks if their deliberations are moving along. The foreman replies, "I feel like they are, but we need a little more time."
#JessicaChambers

"A little more time." They may be wanting to go over key pieces of evidence to make sure they've come to the right decision. JMO of course.

Tish Clark‏ @local24tish 2m2 minutes ago
Jury says they need more time. Judge ordering them food. So....We shall wait... #QuintonTellis #JessicaChambers @LocalMemphis

#QuintonTellis in the courtroom as he hears jurors are making progress as they deliberate the verdict.

Bridget Chapman‏Verified account @bchapman_WREG3 3m3 minutes ago
Judge is getting dinner brought in for the jurors -- aka, we'll definitely be here for a bit longer.
#JessicaChambers

Ron Maxey‏ @rmaxey1 3m3 minutes ago
The judge just called jurors in for a progress report. Forewoman says they making progress “but need a little more time.” Indicated they were hungry, though, so the judge ordered in dinner. #JessicaChambers @memphisnews @clarionledger

Hey UndiscoveredTruth!

I see you posted 9 minutes ago! :)

Okay - for today:

Sunday, Sept. 30th:
*Trial continues (Day 7) – (@ 9/9:30am CT) - MS - Jessica Lane Chambers (19) (Dec. 8, 2014) - Quentin Verdell Tellis (27) - indicted on 1st degree capital murder & 3rd degree arson. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will not seek DP.
10/16/17: First trial jurors were sequestered. 10 hrs of deliberations. Came back with 7-5 guilty. Ended in mistrial.
Tellis was accused of killing a second person, 34-year-old Meing-Chen Hsaio of Taiwan, in July 2015. The exchange student at the University of Louisiana at Monroe was allegedly tortured to death to get her credit car PIN numbers. Tellis faces a first-degree murder charge in the Louisiana death.

Skipping Day 1 thru 6. (I have day 7, as I'm counting the jury selection as Day 1).
9/29/18 Update Day 6: Defense starts with cross-examination of ATF Agent Scott Meadows. Christopher "Big Mike" Sanford (Tellis says he was him that night; he wasn’t). U.S. Attorney’s office (DOJ) Intelligence analyst Paul Rowlett, did all the phone & video analysis. Played surveillance videos from M&M. Showing cell phone data. State rested. Court back in session tomorrow morning (9/30) around 9/9:30am. Defense expected to call 3 witnesses.
I am late coming in for this trial.
Please don't make me read all of the threads for my answer :D I can't imagine a better circumstance for a death penalty qualification. Why did the DA decide against it?

Time for another sleep-inducing Clouseau treatise. I remember how my old roommate in college used to tell me, “You are soooo-porific.” I used to think he was expressing admiration until one day I looked it up (soporific: inducing drowsiness or sleep.) Nevertheless....

I think it was masterful the way the prosecution used facts about emergency vehicle lights and the “first” false alarm fire the evening of the murder.

The state first established through emergency responder testimony that CVFD policy was to leave emergency lights flashing until after responders had determined the scene was clear and they were ready to leave. The state established through Ms. Flowers testimony that she did not see any such lights at the “aunt’s house” near the south end of Old Highway 51, either on her way to her own house on Main Street to retrieve her grandchildren’s coats, or on her way back to that area, when she dropped off her unidentified rider (presumably Tellis), near the entrance of his sister’s subdivision on the opposite side of U.S. 51 from there.

That meant that in order for Tellis to have known about a “fire” at his aunt’s house, he would have had to seen those flashing lights earlier, as he drove past them in Jessica’s car, going from his house north of that location to the crime scene on Herron Rd, while emergency responders were still at his aunt’s house. By the time he had ditched the car with Jessica in it, walked part way back to his house, then hitched a ride back to that area with Flowers, those flashing lights, and therefore the emergency personnel, were long gone, that based on Ms. Flowers not seeing any either when she went by there the first time or when she dropped her mysterious hitchhiker off near there later. She stated she knew his aunt, Julia Chambers, so knew exactly where her house was located.

That information, plus the fact that the aunt’s daughter, Kerry Hinson, and the aunt herself, Julia Chambers, both testified that no such “nephew” had ever visited the aunt’s house following the false alarm, helped corroborate part of Ms. Flowers testimony. It also helped established who Ms. Flowers mysterious rider had to be: a young, black male in his early 20’s who had an aunt named Julia Chambers, who somehow knew about the fire department visit to her house earlier that evening.

Regards,
Clouseau

BBM.\
I'm so glad you spelled this out like this, because it hadn't really clicked with me. That is EVIDENCE.

Does anyone remember the trial where the jurors stayed to deliberate until 2-3:00 AM? We all stayed up to find out what the verdict would be. That was a very long night. Can't remember the trial tho'- it was a few years ago.

law-order-lawyer-judiciary_system-legal_system-jurors-foremen-dcrn1274_low.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone remember the trial where the jurors stayed to deliberate until 2-3:00 PM? We all stayed up to find out what the verdict would be. That was a very long night. Can't remember the trial tho'- it was a few years ago.

law-order-lawyer-judiciary_system-legal_system-jurors-foremen-dcrn1274_low.jpg
I'm asking a redundant question, but can someone remind me or post the link to the trial again?

Thanks,
Clyde

I don't think QT needed to be a genius mastermind to set Jessica's car on fire. I think he probably didn't intend to kill her when she picked him up. I think he thought they were going to have sex, and when she said no, he forced himself on her and killed her in the process. I think he realized he would have a problem if he just raped her and now she's dead, so he decided to set her on fire to destroy the evidence (his DNA on her body). He didn't decide to hide her body and frame someone else. He just literally set her and her car on fire on the side of the road. I don't think that really indicates an intelligent criminal, just someone who knows raping and killing a woman would leave DNA behind. I think it's hard not to know that at his point with the various crime shows and nationally broadcast trials.

I know that juries are unpredictable, and that we must have faith and accept what they decide. That being said, Lord, I ask that you give them the guidance they need to bring sweet Jessica Lane Chambers the justice she deserves. She didn't deserve to be set on fire, and she didn't deserve to be left to burn alive. Please, Lord, give that angel JUSTICE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper