Deceased/Not Found MS - Jimmie "Jay" Lee, 20, University of Mississippi student, drove away from apartment, Oxford, 8 Jul 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Jay's dad describes him as extremely helpful & caring to all people.

Father of missing UM student asks for information on whereabouts of son - The Oxford Eagle | The Oxford Eagle

“I would like for everyone to understand who my son is and know that he is a hard worker,” said [Jay's father] Jimmie Lee. “He was currently working on an effort to provide infant formula for children that did not have it available to them.”

The Ole Miss public policy major worked on a baby formula and toddler hygiene drive with the Lafayette County Child Protective Services. The donations will be issued to families in need.

Donations can be dropped off at the county CPS office located on 72 F.D. Buddy East Parkway from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pickups for families in need are at the same time.

“I can remember my son coming to this college being willing to face the unknown without a problem,” said Lee’s father. “I’m so proud of him for that. I want everyone to know that whether you were black, white, green, polka-dotted, it didn’t matter who you are, he was there to help if he saw the need.”

Reward offered for help finding missing Ole Miss student (wapt.com)

"We believe Lee may have been visiting someone at Molly Barr Trails at the time of his disappearance," Breck Jones, public information officer for OPD, said in a news release.

Officers from both departments are tracking tips, potential witnesses, speaking with Lee's friends, running search warrants, canvassing areas and collecting evidence, Jones said. Crime Stoppers has pledged $1,000 for anyone with information that leads to Lee being found.

"We are asking the public again for any tips, information, potential persons of interest, or any other information that will lead to Lee being found," Jones said.

Jones said no tip is too small. Anyone with information is asked to call OPD at 662-232-2400, UPD at 662-915-7234, and Crime Stoppers at 662-234-8477.

Jay Lee: University of Mississippi Student Vanished on Friday | PEOPLE.com

Father asks for help finding missing University of Mississippi student (wreg.com) (video at link of Jay's sister speaking about his disappearance)

Lee’s sister said the last contact family members had with Jay was on the day he went missing.

Tayla Carey said her brother sent their mother a text message at around 2 a.m. wishing her a happy birthday and telling her he loved her.

“So he went missing on her birthday,” said Carey.

She doesn’t know if Jay was visiting someone at Molly Barr Trails apartments or if that’s just where his car ended up.

“He is a social butterfly, so it is possible he might know someone there. He literally can talk to a wall,” she said. “Possibly, he drove it there and got into a car with another person.”

Carey said her brother is very active in the LBGTQ community, but she doesn’t think it has anything to do with his disappearance.

“Everybody loves his personality, and everybody loves how open he is,” Carey said. “I will say Jay Lee is the most unapologetic person I have ever met. He is his true self.”

Jay Lee just graduated from the University of Mississippi and was getting ready to start graduate school.

The family plans to pass out flyers about Jay Thursday afternoon in Oxford.

292863371_1347161442438307_8693582472666813911_n.jpg

jaylee.png

FXeiSh0WQAMu5ZX

Moo..someone called and said i need help now..and he went
I think you are spot on, IMO that was my first thought too. IF (with the understanding I am making big assumptions with no information) that’s the case, then was the call about trouble/needing help true or was it a ruse to lure him somewhere?

Hopefully neither obviously, but I pray it is not someone who was considered a “friend” or an ally who would betray a trust from someone who appears to harbor so much love and acceptance in his heart.

Jimmie "Jay" Lee: Ole Miss student missing, public asked to help (clarionledger.com)
Police and family members are asking the public for help to find an Ole Miss student from Jackson who went missing about a week ago.

Jimmie "Jay" Lee, 20, a recent graduate of Murrah High School, was last seen leaving Campus Walks Apartments about 5:58 a.m. July 8. He was wearing a silver robe or housecoat, gold sleeping cap and gray slippers, according to Oxford Police.

"On Monday, July 11, Lee's vehicle was recovered from a local towing company that had removed the car from the Molly Barr Trails apartment complex on Friday afternoon," Oxford Police said.

Lee is described as 5 feet, 7 inches tall, weighing 120 pounds, with black and blond hair and brown eyes.

The Oxford Police Department is investigating the disappearance of Murrah High School graduate Jimmie Jay Lee of Jackson.

Oxford Police and Ole Miss's University Police Department are working jointly on the investigation.

Efforts to find "Jay" Lee have expanded outside the Oxford community to Jackson and Hattiesburg.

Oxford Police said "Jay" Lee could have been visiting someone at Molly Barr Trails at the time of his disappearance.

"Jay" Lee is well-known for his vibrant personality, caring attitude, community work and his involvement in the LGBT community, according to posts on Facebook.

The student, a public policy major, contacted Oxford Mayor Robyn Tannehill with a request to shadow or intern with her at City Hall, and Tannehill agreed, according to The Oxford Eagle.

“I’ve met him a couple of times when I’ve spoken on campus,” Tannehill said. “He is one of the kindest folks I’ve met on campus. He was excited about things going on in the city and building his resume. I hope he is found."

Meanwhile, social media has exploded with posts hoping Lee is found, many under the hashtag #Jaylee.

"Praying for comfort and strength for Jaylee, friends and family, especially Jay's sister, Tayla Carey," said Keith Antonio Bankston, community organizer, leader, and advocate for the black LGBT community in Jackson. "Lee was a beloved member and entertainer here in our Jackson LGBT Community."

Carney asked the public in a recent Facebook post to continue sharing details that could lead to her brother being found.

"Y’all PLEASE HELP US FIND MY BROTHER PLEASE SHARE," Carney said.

“The departments are utilizing all available resources to track tips, potential witnesses, speaking with friends, running search warrants, canvassing areas, and collecting evidence,” the Oxford Police Department said in a recent statement.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Oxford Police Department at (662) 232-2400, University Police at (662) 915-7234 or Crime Stoppers at (662) 234-8477. Information and tips also can be shared via social media: Facebook: @OxfordMSPolice or @OleMissPolice or Twitter: @OxfordPolice or @OleMissPolice.

CrimeStoppers has pledged $1,000 for anyone with information that leads to Lee being found.

Jay has been missing too long. This case is really upsetting to me. This is a human who has love and pride in his heart, who wants to change his community for the better, and improve the quality of life of all his neighbors. He deserves a long and prosperous life. I pray they find him alive and well but I have a pit in my stomach about this one.

Thinking of potential motives... I feel it may be jealousy, because Jay is apparently very hardworking, charismatic, and smart; as well as an attractive person. It could also potentially be a hate crime. His sister doesn't think it is related to being LGBTQ+ because "everyone loves Jay" but tragically, there will always be hateful homophobes and bigots in this world, and some of them definitely view violence as a positive means to an end.

A couple more recent news stories - with some new information about the OPD lagging behind on picking up Jay's vehicle:
Father pleads for help in search for missing University of Mississippi student - CNN
Oxford Police and the University of Mississippi Police departments say they are using all available resources to locate Lee, according to a joint statement.
Authorities say they are "speaking with friends, running search warrants, canvassing areas, and collecting evidence."

Community reeling from missing Ole Miss student (actionnews5.com)
“It makes me wonder if I need to look over my shoulders when I’m leaving campus or coming to campus,” said Lee’s neighbor who didn’t want to give her name. She added, “it’s very nerve-racking to know that someone has gone missing, and they literally live like feet away from me.”

Lee’s neighbor said she would see him from time to time. She wasn’t close to him but said he was well-known and well-liked by everyone.

“I really want to know what happened to him and where he is and if he’s okay. I just have a lot of unanswered questions,” she said.

One question being raised is why it took Oxford Police Department over 48 hours to find Lee’s 2014 Ford Fusion at a local towing company.

The company said on the phone, that they alerted the department as soon as they picked up the car at Molly Barr Trails early Friday afternoon, which is the same day Lee went missing.

The company said when the worker picked up the vehicle, he saw a be on the lookout by the Oxford Police, and he contacted them immediately.

We reached out to Oxford Police Department for a statement about the timeline of when the towing company alerted them and why they missed the initial email.

We have not heard back at this time.

Why didn't I think of this before! What if Jay snuck away for a hookup, and that person knows where he is now?
His Twitter is full of commentary & jokes about his dating life. From his tweets, I'd say he appeared to be single but seeing a few people.

If you search #JayLee on Twitter and Facebook, there are some additional details on his schooling and career that make it even more obvious that he didn't leave of his own volition.

He also had his dog at home - friends say he would *never* leave without lining up care for him.

OXFORD, Miss. (WJTV) – Investigators announced that search warrants have been issued in the case of missing University of Mississippi (UM) student Jimmie “Jay” Lee.

Oxford police announced on July 14 that Lee’s vehicle has been sent to the Mississippi State Crime Laboratory for processing.

Additionally, authorities said around a dozen search warrants have been issued on both physical and digital entities. Investigators are still waiting for some information to be returned back.

Multiple interviews have also been conducted with various people. Search teams and various law enforcement agencies have searched specific locations around Oxford, as well.

OXFORD, Miss. (WJTV) – Investigators announced that search warrants have been issued in the case of missing University of Mississippi (UM) student Jimmie “Jay” Lee.

Oxford police announced on July 14 that Lee’s vehicle has been sent to the Mississippi State Crime Laboratory for processing.

Additionally, authorities said around a dozen search warrants have been issued on both physical and digital entities. Investigators are still waiting for some information to be returned back.

Multiple interviews have also been conducted with various people. Search teams and various law enforcement agencies have searched specific locations around Oxford, as well.

I hope they release more info on the search warrants!

Jimmie “Jay” Lee’s sister, Tayla Carey, is trying to keep pushing forward as law enforcement across Mississippi follow leads in hopes of finding her missing brother.

“We ask that everyone assisting with helping us find my brother remains positive as the investigation continues,” Carey said.

“My relationship with my brother is really strong," Carey said. "We'd always call and check on each other throughout the week. During tough times, my brother would lean on his dog, Lexus "Lola" Lee, for emotional support. Lola has been a monument in my brother’s life for the last 10 years.”

“He is an avid coffee drinker, he always has to have his cup in the morning,” she said.

*Brother/Sister relationships always get to me. I’ve been trying ever so hard to close off my emotions after losing so many but I had to go grab a tissue. I know how she feels. I really do… ❤️

Why didn't I think of this before! What if Jay snuck away for a hookup, and that person knows where he is now?
His Twitter is full of commentary & jokes about his dating life. From his tweets, I'd say he appeared to be single but seeing a few people.

If you search #JayLee on Twitter and Facebook, there are some additional details on his schooling and career that make it even more obvious that he didn't leave of his own volition.

He also had his dog at home - friends say he would *never* leave without lining up care for him.
I was thinking a hook up as well but all the info just doesn't make sense. First, who goes for a hook up that early? Also, who goes to a hook up dressed in their pajamas? Unless this hook up is a regular casual hook up that he feels comfortable enough to dress like that in front of. So I wonder, again, who he knows in those apartments? But someone could have just abandoned the car there after...whatever happened to throw suspicion in a different direction.

Jimmie “Jay” Lee’s sister, Tayla Carey, is trying to keep pushing forward as law enforcement across Mississippi follow leads in hopes of finding her missing brother.

“We ask that everyone assisting with helping us find my brother remains positive as the investigation continues,” Carey said.

“My relationship with my brother is really strong," Carey said. "We'd always call and check on each other throughout the week. During tough times, my brother would lean on his dog, Lexus "Lola" Lee, for emotional support. Lola has been a monument in my brother’s life for the last 10 years.”

“He is an avid coffee drinker, he always has to have his cup in the morning,” she said.

*Brother/Sister relationships always get to me. I’ve been trying ever so hard to close off my emotions after losing so many but I had to go grab a tissue. I know how she feels. I really do… ❤️
Hi Pam, glad to see you here :) you posted a video for another case, jsyk! But I am going to make sure Gabe has a thread here as well.

I was thinking a hook up as well but all the info just doesn't make sense. First, who goes for a hook up that early? Also, who goes to a hook up dressed in their pajamas? Unless this hook up is a regular casual hook up that he feels comfortable enough to dress like that in front of. So I wonder, again, who he knows in those apartments? But someone could have just abandoned the car there after...whatever happened to throw suspicion in a different direction.
Hm... you're right. The pajamas detail makes it a bit unlikely it was a hookup - still could be, though. I guess we will have to wait and see. He's been gone too long, I'm getting anxious about the time that's passed.

University of Mississippi student Jimmie ‘Jay’ Lee now missing for a week as father appeals for tips | Fox News

University of Mississippi student Jimmie "Jay" Lee has been missing for a week, and police and his father are asking for anyone with information to come forward.

"No tip is too small," the Oxford Police Department said in a statement Thursday.

Authorities say a tow company removed Lee’s car from an apartment complex near the Molly Barr Trails in Oxford, Mississippi, later that day, off campus about 2.5 miles away. They recovered it Monday at the tow yard and brought it to the state crime lab for processing, police said.

Oxford police said Thursday they’ve executed a dozen search warrants and interviewed "numerous" people in connection with Lee’s disappearance.

On Wednesday, search and rescue teams and police K-9 units hit the ground around Oxford, according to authorities, but did not find the missing person.

Jimmie 'Jay' Lee's father pleads for help in search for missing University of Mississippi student (msn.com)

In social media posts reviewed by CNN and images released by authorities, although Lee dresses in women’s clothing and makeup in some pictures and videos, Lee writes that he identifies as a gay male.

Reached by CNN, Lee’s father says that while he is not ready to give interviews, he hopes the intensified media coverage will help find his son. Lee’s father said the best way the media can help the investigation is to “show his face.”

Oxford Police and the University of Mississippi Police departments say they are using all available resources to locate Lee, according to a joint statement.

This has included executing around a dozen search warrants “on both physical and digital entities,” the statement said. Numerous interviews have also been conducted, it said.

Jackson woman holds out hope her missing brother, Jimmie 'Jay' Lee, will be found safe (yahoo.com)

Efforts to find Lee have expanded outside the Oxford community to Jackson and Hattiesburg.

Carey, however, continues to think about Lee and their relationship together, praying there will be a positive outcome.

Carey says that Lee is much like everyone else in the world when it comes to his morning routine.

More at Jackson woman holds out hope her missing brother, Jimmie 'Jay' Lee, will be found safe

Is the dog in his apartment? If so, this is even more concerning.

Lee was spending the summer in Oxford finishing his bachelor’s degree in social work. He is already accepted into UM’s masters program in social work and is scheduled to start this fall.

The day he went missing, Lee was supposed to go to a donation drive for baby formula that he organized as part of a summer internship with the Mississippi Department of Child Protection Services in Lafayette County.

Carey said she found out that Lee was missing in the evening on July 8 when her mom called to ask if she’d spoken to him that day. The last thing the family heard from Lee, Carey said, was at 2 a.m. on July 8, when he’d texted his mom to wish her happy birthday.

The family’s theory is that Lee had gone to get coffee or visit a friend early in the morning on Friday, because he was last seen wearing sleepwear. It wasn’t unusual for him to be up that early, but he left behind his dog, Lexus Lola.
IMG_2914.jpg

The day he went missing, Lee was supposed to go to a donation drive for baby formula that he organized as part of a summer internship with the Mississippi Department of Child Protection Services in LafayetteCounty.
1657920866389.jpeg

He sounds like an amazing and truly genuine human being and we need more people like him on this planet. I really hope he is ok but the fact that he hasn’t contacted anyone and left his fur baby alone for a long period of time makes me fear the worst. It’s not fair.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState
Back