Deceased/Not Found MS - Jimmie "Jay" Lee, 20, University of Mississippi student, drove away from apartment, Oxford, 8 Jul 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Police share latest news in disappearance of Ole Miss student Jimmie Lee | News | wtva.com

The Mississippi State Crime Laboratory will investigate the car of missing Ole Miss student Jimmie Lee, according to police on Thursday, July 14.

According to the Oxford and Ole Miss police departments, officers have used a dozen search warrants and interviewed numerous individuals.

Authorities have used K9s to aid in their search.

Lee was last seen leaving the Campus Walk Apartments on the morning of July 8.

Authorities believe Lee may have visited someone at the Molly Barr Trails apartment complex.

Lee’s car was removed from the Molly Barr complex that afternoon. The car was later found to be at a local towing company.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Oxford Police Department at 662-232-2400, the Ole Miss Police Department at 662-915-7234 or Crime Stoppers at 662- 234-8477.

A $1,000 reward is being offered to anyone with information that leads to Lee’s discovery.

University of Mississippi student Jimmie ‘Jay’ Lee now missing for a week as father appeals for tips | Fox News

University of Mississippi student Jimmie "Jay" Lee has been missing for a week, and police and his father are asking for anyone with information to come forward.

"No tip is too small," the Oxford Police Department said in a statement Thursday.

Authorities say a tow company removed Lee’s car from an apartment complex near the Molly Barr Trails in Oxford, Mississippi, later that day, off campus about 2.5 miles away. They recovered it Monday at the tow yard and brought it to the state crime lab for processing, police said.

Oxford police said Thursday they’ve executed a dozen search warrants and interviewed "numerous" people in connection with Lee’s disappearance.

On Wednesday, search and rescue teams and police K-9 units hit the ground around Oxford, according to authorities, but did not find the missing person.

Jimmie 'Jay' Lee's father pleads for help in search for missing University of Mississippi student (msn.com)

In social media posts reviewed by CNN and images released by authorities, although Lee dresses in women’s clothing and makeup in some pictures and videos, Lee writes that he identifies as a gay male.

Reached by CNN, Lee’s father says that while he is not ready to give interviews, he hopes the intensified media coverage will help find his son. Lee’s father said the best way the media can help the investigation is to “show his face.”

Oxford Police and the University of Mississippi Police departments say they are using all available resources to locate Lee, according to a joint statement.

This has included executing around a dozen search warrants “on both physical and digital entities,” the statement said. Numerous interviews have also been conducted, it said.

Jackson woman holds out hope her missing brother, Jimmie 'Jay' Lee, will be found safe (yahoo.com)

Efforts to find Lee have expanded outside the Oxford community to Jackson and Hattiesburg.

bbm. I wonder what tips or evidence have led them to search in Jackson and Hattiesburg, cities hours away from Oxford?
The trails near where the vehicle was found are interesting IMO.

Still holding out hope Lee is found safe and sound.

bbm. I wonder what tips or evidence have led them to search in Jackson and Hattiesburg, cities hours away from Oxford?
The trails near where the vehicle was found are interesting IMO.

Still holding out hope Lee is found safe and sound.
It would be interesting to know what is making them look south, rather than north. Memphis is much closer to Oxford than either Jackson or Hattiesburg. One would logically assume that they must have something to go on to lead them south rather than north. Edited to add that after going backwards and reading I see that I had missed that he had graduated from Murrah High School, which is in Jackson. So it makes sense that they might look there.

My gut feeling though is that someone called out for help and he went immediately. I pray no one took advantage of his kindness and willingness to help others. Domestic violence situations can also put people coming to a victim's aid in danger as well and this worries me, too. All just MOO and random thoughts this morning.

Last edited:
Not sure if this actually has anything to do with Jaylee’s disappearance, but …:

“Oxford Police didn’t provide any updates on the investigation Friday, but did say they received reports of threats and harassment against the company who towed Lee’s vehicle.

Police say Bandit Towing has been ‘helpful and accommodating’ and says this behavior ‘takes resources and time away from the main priority of finding Jimmie.’” (BBM)

JUL 18

Meanwhile, Lee’s family, who have posted a $5,000 reward, are searching for Lee. The family has canvassed Campus Walk, passed out fliers in Batesville and even gone out to Clear Creek Lake, a conservation area north of Oxford, to search for Lee. On Friday, Carey and Lee’s parents spent seven hours in the woods, walking on and off the paths and leaving posters at trail markers.

“We literally went on a full-on walk through the woods yelling, screaming his name,” Carey said.

Carey said her family is considering going to Molly Barr, where police walked dogs last week, to do their own search through the bushy, wooded area that surrounds the complex, because they know what to look for.

More at Police offer no major updates as Ole Miss student Jay Lee missing for 10 days now

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

I find it interesting it has been reported consistently since the beginning that LE thinks Jaylee may have been visiting someone at the student apartment complex, Molly Barr Trails, where his car was found, rather than that being one of multiple possibilities (e.g., the car being dumped there by him, by a third party, etc.). It seems to me they at least know who he might have been there to see, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Missing for 10 days now.
I am very concerned about the welfare of this young man.
Praying that his family Maya be reunited with him safely and soon.
You’re right. 10 days is a very long time without what seems like no clues other than his car being found.

I thought this case would have been easy to solve. He seems heavily involved in social media so it would seem that going through messages, etc would break this case. Then again, I know there were digital search warrants placed but maybe that information hasn’t gotten back yet?

I also wouldn’t have a clue where to start looking since I’m way out of the loop with any of those kinds of things. Hopefully they have some good detectives working his case who are familiar with and up to date with the latest tech.

JUL 19

FBI has joined the case.

OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - The FBI and Mississippi Attorney General’s Office are helping in the efforts to find missing Ole Miss student Jimmie Lee.

That’s according to a Tuesday, July 19 joint news release from the Oxford and Ole Miss police departments.

62d725ac25815.preview.jpg

The department’s update does not say when, specifically, the FBI and the AG’s office became involved in the search for Lee. Police officials did not respond to Mississippi Today’s inquiry by press time, and a spokesperson for the AG said the office doesn’t comment on open investigations.

* The above statement leads me to think the FBI has been following along with this case for awhile now. Perhaps a possible hate crime? Ya know, some people are just plain ignorant… If so, the lead dogs in charge don’t need to be coming in behind. They need to be in this up to their eyeballs…

Also in this article: *I don’t quite know what point they were trying to make in these paragraphs. Is there more LE knows but haven’t released due to possibly putting their case at risk.

He was reported missing later that day at 8:28 p.m. to the University of Mississippi Police Department. An officer conducted a welfare check at Campus Walk Apartments, where Lee lived, but there was “negative contact,” according to UMPD’s incident report obtained by Mississippi Today.

Oxford police started working on the case two days later, according to the department’s incident report. The first page of OPD’s report, which was created on July 10 at 11:59 p.m., contains little information about the investigation and says only that “Detective MIke (sic) Burks, was assigned to investigate a missing person case handed over from the University Police Department.”

Mississippi’s public records law gives police departments broad discretion to redact or withhold any information “that would impede the public body’s enforcement, investigative or detection efforts.”

Shelby Hernandez, the records custodian for the Oxford Police department, said the first page of the incident report is the only part that is publicly available “considering everything that’s going on.”

JUL 20

The community gathered in The Circle at the University of Mississippi on Wednesday night for the “Hope for Jay Lee Rally.”

The rally was announced in hopes that family, friends and classmates of missing Ole Miss student Jimmie “Jay” Lee, 20, would draw strength from coming together and supporting one another.

“Hope for Jay Lee” was organized through the collaborative efforts of the UM Department of Social Work’s faculty, staff and students. The event was led by Ole Miss student and peer of Jay Lee, Cara Gallagher.

More at Community comes together to inspire hope amongst UM student's disappearance - The Oxford Eagle

IMG_5826-300x225.jpg
People blow bubbles as a sign to missing UM student Jimmie ‘Jay’ Lee during the “Hope for Jay” rally on July 20 in the Circle on the University of Mississippi campus.

Organized by the Department of Social Work and the Associated Student Body, “Hope for Jay” gathered the Lafayette-Oxford-University community at the Circle on campus to support missing student Jimmie “Jay” Lee and his family in “thoughts and prayers” as they hope for his safe return.

“It’s our prayer that Jay Lee comes home safe and sound,” Lee’s parents wrote in a statement read by Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Charlotte Pegues.

“Jay is still here and we’re just waiting for him to come home,” said Precious Thompson, Lee’s classmate.

The "Hope Rally for Jay Lee" was held Wednesday evening at the Flagpole in The Circle.

"He is a very sweet individual," said classmate Kara Gallagher. "He was always outgoing, and the reason we're doing this is because, if it was any of us, he would be here right now."

Lee's family is pledging a $5,000 reward, on top of the $1,000 already offered by Crime Stoppers for information leading to Lee's whereabouts.

Last edited:
Lee is also well-known in Oxford’s LGBTQ community – his disappearance has rattled them, too. Many queer people in Mississippi, in response to routine violence or harassment, conceal their identities, but Lee was known for his openness. Last fall, he ran for homecoming king and posed in a dress for his campaign photos. Earlier this year, he had spoken at a conference about his experience as a gay man who wears long hair, nails and eyelashes, and how his gender identity is often misunderstood.

One of Lee’s classmates gave a prayer. The next speaker, Jennifer Buford, a social work instructor who helped students plan the event, talked about the importance of hope to the community. She referred to Romans 12:12, which says, “be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.”

“Hope can sometimes be confused with wishful thinking,” Buford said. “However, the hope that we intend to inspire today is based on the belief and the confident expectations that Jay will soon be home. Because these are our expectations, we will not accept gloom, doom, hopelessness and despair.”
*I‘m afraid someone local… didn’t like Jay’s openness. You know how killers sometimes like to hang around activities involving their victim. *Idk I don’t get this kind of vibe too often, but I have it now. I can’t get away from it for some reason.

Last edited:
*I‘m afraid someone local… didn’t like Jay’s openness. You know how killers sometimes like to hang around activities involving their victim. *Idk I don’t get this kind of vibe too often, but I have it now. I can’t get away from it for some reason.

As an LGBTQ person who lived in Oxford for seven years, this sounds pretty feasible. I don't know anything obviously, but I wouldn't be in the least surprised if the killer (if Jay is dead, but it doesn't look good right now) is someone who is closeted and acting out because they were attracted to Jay, were worried Jay would out them, etc.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
disturbedprincess6
Back