Deceased/Not Found MS - Jimmie "Jay" Lee, 20, University of Mississippi student, drove away from apartment, Oxford, 8 Jul 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Suspect's lawyer in Jimmie "Jay" Lee case: 'I'm just baffled' (wreg.com)
MEMPHIS, Tenn. — The lawyer of the man charged with the murder of missing University of Mississippi student, Jimmie “Jay” Lee is proclaiming his client, Sheldon Herrington Jr., to be innocent.

Herrington is being represented by prominent Mississippi attorney Carlos Moore, who happens to be a relative.

Moore is calling for more transparency with the investigation and told WREG that he believes his client could be vindicated.

“If the person is dead, I hope they find the real killer, because they don’t have the person,” Moore said.

Herrington, 22, is a recent graduate of the University of Mississippi and has been charged with the murder of Lee, who is also a recent graduate of the college.

Oxford Police have not said how they came to the conclusion that Herrington is a suspect in the case.

Prior to the announcement of the arrest, OPD brought in local and national agencies to assist with the case. Investigators said they also issued dozens of search warrants on physical and digital properties.

Sheldon-Herrington.jpg

Lee’s body has yet to be discovered.

Moore confirmed with WREG that Herrington and Lee likely knew each other.
He also said he has several questions about the investigation.

“There is no body, there is no weapon, there is no blood,” Moore said. “How do we know there has been a murder committed? There is nobody there. There is no gunshots heard. I mean, nobody has seen a struggle or heard of a struggle. How do we know someone is dead, and how do they know that Timothy Herrington did it? I’m just baffled.”

Moore was previously married to Herrington’s aunt for 20 years and said he considers him as his nephew. Moore says he can vouch for Herrington’s character.

“I’ll be a zealous advocate cause I know, in my heart, he did not commit murder,” Moore said. “I know the type of young man he is. He does not have it in him to kill anyone. We gone vigorously defend him cause we believe he is innocent.”

Herrington is currently being held without bond
and is set to have a hearing next week.

12ft | Suspect charged with murder of missing Mississippi college student Jimmie Lee | The Independent
“If anyone knows anything or sees anything, say something,” his father Jimmie Lee Sr said in the video. “Contact law enforcement. Just tell them what you know. This is my plea that you help find my child.”

A CNN review of Mr Lee’s social media showed he identifies as a gay man but often dresses in women’s clothing and makeup.

the twitter hashtag for Jay: #JayLee - Twitter Search / Twitter

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — The lawyer of the man charged with the murder of missing University of Mississippi student, Jimmie “Jay” Lee is proclaiming his client, Sheldon Herrington Jr., to be innocent.

Herrington is being represented by prominent Mississippi attorney Carlos Moore, who happens to be a relative.

Moore is calling for more transparency with the investigation and told WREG that he believes his client could be vindicated.

“If the person is dead, I hope they find the real killer, because they don’t have the person,” Moore said.

Herrington, 22, is a recent graduate of the University of Mississippi and has been charged with the murder of Lee, who is also a recent graduate of the college.

Oxford Police have not said how they came to the conclusion that Herrington is a suspect in the case.

Prior to the announcement of the arrest, OPD brought in local and national agencies to assist with the case. Investigators said they also issued dozens of search warrants on physical and digital properties.

Sheldon-Herrington.jpg

“There is no body, there is no weapon, there is no blood,” Moore said. “How do we know there has been a murder committed? There is nobody there. There is no gunshots heard. I mean, nobody has seen a struggle or heard of a struggle. How do we know someone is dead, and how do they know that Timothy Herrington did it? I’m just baffled.”

Moore was previously married to Herrington’s aunt for 20 years and said he considers him as his nephew. Moore says he can vouch for Herrington’s character.

“I’ll be a zealous advocate cause I know, in my heart, he did not commit murder,” Moore said. “I know the type of young man he is. He does not have it in him to kill anyone. We gone vigorously defend him cause we believe he is innocent.”

12ft | Suspect charged with murder of missing Mississippi college student Jimmie Lee | The Independent
“If anyone knows anything or sees anything, say something,” his father Jimmie Lee Sr said in the video. “Contact law enforcement. Just tell them what you know. This is my plea that you help find my child.”

A CNN review of Mr Lee’s social media showed he identifies as a gay man but often dresses in women’s clothing and makeup.

I question the lawyer's openness with the phrase "Moore confirmed with WREG that Herrington and Lee likely knew each other"
They "likely" knew each other? Come on.....I'm sure Moore knows at least that much for sure. It would be one of the first things I'd ask my client. I'm wondering when we will begin to see some evidence.

I question the lawyer's openness with the phrase "Moore confirmed with WREG that Herrington and Lee likely knew each other"
They "likely" knew each other? Come on.....I'm sure Moore knows at least that much for sure. It would be one of the first things I'd ask my client. I'm wondering when we will begin to see some evidence.
They likely would have known each other. They were in the same social circles / their social circles overlapped.

A man has been charged with murder of Jimmie.

A Grenada man faces a murder charge in connection to the case of Jimmie “Jay” Lee who went missing last week, the Oxford Police and University of Mississippi Police announced via social media Friday.

“Shelton Timothy Herrington Jr., 22, from Grenada, MS, has been charged with murder,” the social media post from the Oxford Police Department states. “A bond has not been set at this time.”

294889072_412647730897348_4186024608798006287_n.jpg

He looks so smug in his booking photo. JMO of course......... :mad:

Sheldon-Herrington.jpg

So they just picked a random guy that “likely” knew him without a shred of evidence?

So they just picked a random guy that “likely” knew him without a shred of evidence?
I find that very hard to believe, but it appears the defense is trying to get ahead of the story. I'm sure LE has some type of evidence in order to make the arrest. They just don't have to disclose it at this point.

MOD NOTE:

We welcome new members to Websleuths to discuss this troubling case.
PLEASE review the WS rules we ALL agreed to when we joined.
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/forums/the-rules.159/

The Terms of Service are intentionally strict as WS is the gold standard of true crime discussion websites, and we all work hard to keep it that way.
Here are a few of the key rules:

- Post only facts, and that must be linked to the source of those facts.
- If it can’t be linked, it can’t be posted. That includes any pictures.
- Approved links are from mainstream media (MSM) or law enforcement (LE) statements.
- The ONLY Social Media links permitted are those from MSM, LE, the victim, the POI/suspect, or the OFFICIAL missing page if there is one established.
- NO public comments from ANY source are allowed as they cannot be verified.

Websleuths is FACT-BASED and VICTIM-FRIENDLY.
Family members are considered victims also unless/until LE tells us they are suspects or POIs.
Posts that are in violation of ANY of the Websleuths’ TOS are subject to removal, as are all the replies that quote and/or reference the violating post.

PLEASE use the Report button at the bottom of any post if you come upon a post that is questionable regarding Websleuths’ TOS.

THANK YOU for your efforts to post respectfully and responsibly according to the Websleuths’ TOS.

I am devastated for Jay, his family, his friends, and the countless folks he would have helped in his vocation. This crime is senseless, and as others have pointed out, will cause so much pain for 2 families, and their loved ones, for many years to come. Whatever happened in the awful moment a life was taken, it will be felt for generations. And will always be a shadow on Ole Miss. And I love the university. Some of my favorite family and friends are a part of that rich culture. But this tragedy, along with the murder of Ole Miss student Ally Kostial 3 years ago, is beyond comprehension.

Last edited:
Bond hearing set in Jimmie "Jay" Lee murder case (clarionledger.com)

A bond hearing has been set for the University of Mississippi graduate charged with murder in connection with the Jimmie "Jay" Lee disappearance, a spokesperson for the Oxford Police Department said Monday.

Timothy Herrington, 22, will have his first appearance in court Wednesday. His attorney maintains he is innocent.

And ha, I can't help but wonder if they got this from me posting here-
Jimmie "Jay" Lee dreamed of murder attempt according to TikTok post (clarionledger.com)

JUL 25

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (WMC) - The affidavit for first-degree murder charges facing Timothy Herrington, Jr., offers a first glimpse of the case Oxford Police Department is building in the murder of Jimmie “Jay” Lee.

The document reveals authorities believe the crime happened inside of Oxford city limits “on or around July 8,″ the same day Lee was reported missing.

It also uses strong language indicating what led Oxford Police to charge the 22-year-old with first-degree murder.

More at Affidavit offers first glimpse of case against Timothy Herrington

As an LGBTQ person who lived in Oxford for seven years, this sounds pretty feasible. I don't know anything obviously, but I wouldn't be in the least surprised if the killer (if Jay is dead, but it doesn't look good right now) is someone who is closeted and acting out because they were attracted to Jay, were worried Jay would out them, etc.
This scenario is what I have feared all along. My heart hurts for Jay's family.

OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - The man accused of murdering Ole Miss student Jimmie “Jay” Lee will appear in court for the first on Wednesday, July 27.

Tim Herrington Jr., 22, of Grenada, was arrested last week.

The hearing is set for 1:30 p.m.
Oxford murder suspect to appear in court for first time Wednesday

The affidavit, obtained by Mississippi Today, shows OPD detective Ryan Baker swore an oath in Lafayette County Justice Court that Herrington “did feloniously, willfully and unlawfully with deliberate design to effect the death of Jimmie Dale Lee III” on July 8. The affidavit does not describe the evidence that led Baker to this conclusion.

Baker took that oath on Friday, July 22, and Judge Mickey Avent issued the warrant that led to Herrington’s arrest that day. Police announced the arrest at 6:51 p.m., and Herrington was booked at the Lafayette County Detention Center at 8:13 p.m. He was held without bond over the weekend.

In Mississippi, affidavits contain law enforcement’s conclusion, or theory, of the case, said Matt Steffey, a law professor at Mississippi College who helped write the state criminal procedures. The documents typically do not present an explanation of the underlying facts in the case.
Sparse affidavit offers few new details in Jay Lee case, but legal experts say that’s not unusual

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kellieshoes
Back