Deceased/Not Found MS - Jimmie "Jay" Lee, 20, University of Mississippi student, drove away from apartment, Oxford, 8 Jul 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
And some more specific information here …..

Surveillance video released​

Detective Ryan Baker with the Oxford Police Department also took the stand on Tuesday.

He said that surveillance video showed Jay Lee coming down the stairs of the Campus Walk Apartments around 5:58 a.m. on the morning of July 8. He said Lee was going to meet Timothy Herrington.

Prosecutors showed photos and videos from surveillance cameras showing who they say was Jay Lee driving his vehicle to the Molly Barr Trails Apartments around 7:25 a.m. the same morning.

Video then showed a man wearing a hoodie jogging near the entrance of Molly Barr Trails Apartments. Baker said that man was Herrington.

EDIT to add - From the video in the article ….

Blond hair found in TH‘s SUV …. JL was wearing blond hair when last seen…

Police believe that TH drove JL’s car to the apartment complex at Molly Barr Trails ….

Last edited:
Another article with further information …. It seems to get all of the relevant information we need to read / watch multiple articles…

The preliminary hearing occurred on Tuesday as part of the bond hearing because Herrington was entitled to hear the evidence that Oxford police used to obtain an arrest warrant.

The prosecution argued that Herrington should be denied bond because his charge – first-degree murder – will likely be elevated to capital murder as police uncover more evidence; some of which is still being processed at a private crime lab. Kilpatrick also argued Herrington was a flight risk, noting that a forensic search of his MacBook showed he had searched for flights from Dallas to Singapore.

Snipped ….

TH retrieving a shovel and wheelbarrow from his parent’s house in Grenada.

The same day July 8

Snipped …..

Baker then testified that 156 seconds later, Herrington made another Google search: “does pre-work boost testosterone.” Kilpatrick argued in her closing statement that Herrington “probably” took pre-work — a type of energy booster typically taken before exercise — prior to killing Lee.

Snipped …
From the Defence

During Baker’s cross examination, Horan argued that the K-9 evidence – without accompanying DNA evidence or bodily fluids – is not admissible in court in Mississippi and that OPD could not prove the dogs utilized by DeSoto County had ever successfully identified the smell of a dead body.

Couple thoughts I have. Does any know if Herrington was a hands-on-mover or simply owned the company and hired out all of the labor? I also wonder if he mostly did local moves or longer distances - like 2 hours or even many more than that?

I would think the suspect is smart enough not to talk, but didn’t the original charges come from a confession? Can’t remember if that part is correct or not. If so then he confessed but then stopped talking? If that’s the case then I worry more about the possibility of him getting out of this. Not quite sure how all of that works but I’m guessing they have enough circumstantial evidence to arrest, but probably not enough without locating Jimmy, especially if Herrington says he confessed because he was scared, alone, etc.

Thankfully the FBI is helping.
BBM
I haven't seen anything about murder confession, but I did see that TH admitted to having a sexual relationship with Jay. This could be what you are remembering.

Edited to add link to admission.
At Tuesday’s bond hearing, prosecutors showed a clip of the interview police conducted with Herrington.

In the interview, Herrington said his relationship with Jay Lee was sexual.

Last edited:
OH. MY. GOD.

The most damning evidence in Baker’s testimony was a Google search that Herrington made on July 8, minutes after Lee sent a Snapchat message saying he was coming over. At 5:56 a.m., Herrington searched, “how long does it take to strangle someone gabby petito.”

Gabby Petito was a 22-year-old who gained national attention last summer when she went missing; it was later determined she was killed by strangulation.

After Baker read the Google search, multiple people gasped in the courtroom, prompting Kilpatrick to ask him to repeat the line.

Baker then testified that 156 seconds later, Herrington made another Google search: “does pre-work boost testosterone.” Kilpatrick argued in her closing statement that Herrington “probably” took pre-workout — a type of energy booster typically taken before exercise — prior to killing Lee.

Last edited:
The most damning evidence in Baker’s testimony was a Google search that Herrington made on July 8, minutes after Lee sent a Snapchat message saying he was coming over. At 5:56 a.m., Herrington searched, “how long does it take to strangle someone gabby petito.”

Gabby Petito was a 22-year-old who gained national attention last summer when she went missing; it was later determined she was killed by strangulation.

After Baker read the Google search, multiple people gasped in the courtroom, prompting Kilpatrick to ask him to repeat the line.

Baker then testified that 156 seconds later, Herrington made another Google search: “does pre-work boost testosterone.” Kilpatrick argued in her closing statement that Herrington “probably” took pre-work — a type of energy booster typically taken before exercise — prior to killing Lee.
Baker testified he arrested Herrington on July 22 based on the “totality of the evidence.” This included Snapchat messages, Google searches on Herrington’s computer, and DeSoto County Sheriff’s Department K-9s who he said identified the smell of a dead body in Herrington’s apartment, car and moving truck which belongs to his company, T&T Moving. Other evidence included video surveillance on July 8 of a man that Baker identified as Herrington running from Molly Barr Trail, where police believe he parked Lee’s car that morning, then retrieving a shovel and wheelbarrow from his parent’s house in Grenada.

Wow is right. It's certainly making a lot more sense as to why TH's uncle-by-marriage (or whatever his relationship was) dismissed himself as TH's attorney pretty quickly after signing on. Goodness. I would hope that the crowd of TH's supporters which was previously reported on has also stepped back and realized their errors. How awful.

This makes me so angry. WHY did he do it? Get help if you're struggling with personal demons. Don't take it out on the person who has made you question who you are. If that's what happened here. Jay should still be here today.
It is so hard to imagine why …..???? I guess motive will eventually be revealed … and I am guessing it is related to the “fight” between them and what it was over??? Definitely not an excuse …

If they were in a relationship, as stated in the articles, it also fits into the Domestic Violence category, IMO, as well as other categories …

Yes it is heartbreaking that Jay lost his life over this….. so very sad …
#JusticeForJay

Is this an error in reporting.??? Or more to the story???

Kilpatrick said the photo shows the murder suspect in his moving truck with what she said were gardening tools, shovels, and a wheelbarrow. The assistant district attorney said the picture was taken from a surveillance camera that same day in Grenada County, which is where Herrington is ordinal from.

She believes he went to dispose of the body afterward.

Why would Police have had a “surveillance camera” on TH on the 8th July, the date JL went missing…???

If it was a traffic camera on the highway how would they have that much detail in the photo??? Or does a surveillance camera mean something else in the US???

EDIT TO ADD ….

I have just found this article mentioning a camera and the images …. Perhaps they meant a CCTV Camera?????

Baker said Herrington took a moving truck from his Oxford moving business to his parents’ house, where cameras captured him loading gardening tools into the truck.

Last edited:
DId TH have any help ????

The following article states it was “friend” that gave TH the lift from the Servo / Convenience Store …

They said he ran down the road and caught a ride from a friend at a gas station in a white Kia.

i suspect the subsequent traffic stop was not part of the plan……

Snipped …

Baker told the court that investigators served search warrants on Herington’s apartment, where they used cadaver dogs. Those dogs sniff out dead bodies or where they have been.

Baker said the dogs hit four times in Herrington’s apartment: three times in the bedroom and one time in the living room.

According to Baker, a crime scene technician also found evidence in Herrington’s SUV, including a blonde hair like Lee had, on the back passenger side seat. Cadaver dogs also hit in the back cargo area and the front of the car.

Baker also testified that when the cargo area was put under fluorescent light to identify the presence of bodily fluids, there was what appeared to be fluid in the shape of a foot.

Snipped ….

The detective said no physical evidence exists that Lee is dead.
This is a slightly odd statement iMO, considering a murder charge ….

(Although it has also been reported that Police are still awaiting analysis of evidence from the crime lab)

In a statement posted to social media, the departments said that based on information collected to date, they believe the crime represents an isolated incident stemming from the relationship between Lee and Timothy Herrington Jr. Herrington Jr., 22, is charged with murder in Lee's disappearance.

Is this an error in reporting.??? Or more to the story???

Kilpatrick said the photo shows the murder suspect in his moving truck with what she said were gardening tools, shovels, and a wheelbarrow. The assistant district attorney said the picture was taken from a surveillance camera that same day in Grenada County, which is where Herrington is ordinal from.

She believes he went to dispose of the body afterward.

Why would Police have had a “surveillance camera” on TH on the 8th July, the date JL went missing…???

If it was a traffic camera on the highway how would they have that much detail in the photo??? Or does a surveillance camera mean something else in the US???

EDIT TO ADD ….

I have just found this article mentioning a camera and the images …. Perhaps they meant a CCTV Camera?????

Baker said Herrington took a moving truck from his Oxford moving business to his parents’ house, where cameras captured him loading gardening tools into the truck.
Probably a home security camera. I have them on my home and I live in what is considered to be a very safe, low crime area.

In a statement posted to social media, the departments said that based on information collected to date, they believe the crime represents an isolated incident stemming from the relationship between Lee and Timothy Herrington Jr. Herrington Jr., 22, is charged with murder in Lee's disappearance.

I cut and pasted from a few different articles, all linked here.
I figured this way you guys could read a more concise update on what's going on instead of 6, 7 articles that all say the same thing but with 1 or 2 new things peppered in - if that makes sense?

Justice for Jay

1661651685817.png
Ole Miss student Jimmie 'Jay' Lee killing not threat to LGBTQ community (clarionledger.com)

Members of the LGBTQ community in Oxford have been asking police to release more information about the nature of the case ever since Herrington was arrested three weeks ago. Many members said more transparency from police would help them make decisions about how to stay safe.

Police nodded to this perspective in the release: “More broadly, we want to stress that our agencies are committed to doing all that we can to maintain a safe environment for everyone in our community.”

Members of the LBGTQ community are more likely to be the victim of physical harm from domestic and intimate partners. This is especially true for Black queer people who face compounded discrimination due to homophobia and racism — a routine threat of violence that is personal and systemic, with roots much deeper than any one case.

The release also follows a story Mississippi Today published earlier this week based on accounts from 11 LGBTQ students, faculty and University of Mississippi alumni who said they no longer felt safe in Oxford. At least one community member is afraid to leave their house, said Jaime Harker, the director of the Sarah Isom Center for Women and Gender Studies at UM and the owner of Violet Valley, a feminist bookstore near Oxford.

Harker said she felt that OPD’s silence contributed to harrowing rumors in the community about the nature and reason for Lee’s killing.

I think people are filling the void with what their biggest fears are,” she said.

Lee, 20, was a well-known member of Oxford’s LBGTQ community who regularly performed at Code Pink, a local drag night. An open, confident person, Lee ran for homecoming king last year to promote a platform of “self love and living your truth.” He repeatedly spoke out about the harassment received for wearing women’s clothing.
For many people in the community, Lee’s outspokenness made his disappearance all the more terrifying.

Lindsey Trinh, a senior journalism student at Ole Miss, told Mississippi Today that after weeks of receiving no information about Lee’s killing, she decided she was too fearful and anxious to return to classes in person. She wrote an email to the university provost and her professors explaining how Lee’s case had affected her.

“At the time and because of the unknown of why this has happened to Jay and the whereabouts of his body, I have decided that I cannot physically come back to Oxford for my last semester this Fall,” Trinh wrote in her email. “I fear for my safety and well-being as an outspoken and proud gay person of color.”

Oxford MS Police Department
1661650085503.png
(5) Oxford Police Dept on Twitter: "A statement from OPD and @OleMissPolice: https://t.co/11TOBYJMob" / Twitter

Suspect in disappearance of Ole Miss student Jimmie Jay Lee denied bond (clarionledger.com)

Judge Grady F. Tollison III rejected a request to set bond for Sheldon Timothy Herrington Jr., 22, of Grenada, during a preliminary hearing in Oxford.

Stephanie Lee also said Oxford Police told her a police dog detected a scent of decomposition in Herrington's home. Detectives in the case later testified that cadaver dogs alerted three times to the smell of a body in the area.

Officers also obtained a search warrant to view social media conversations on Herrington's phone that showed conversations between he and Lee on the morning of July 8, investigator said. They added that Herrington did numerous computer searches about international travel and found Google searches for "how long it takes to strangle someone" minutes after Lee reportedly told Herrington he was on his way to the apartment.

Investigators also learned that Herrington had a moving service in Grenada, Mississippi. They said he brought a box truck to Oxford before taking it back to Grenada.

Herrington's defense team said even though bodily fluids were found on blankets inside of the truck, the evidence was found weeks after Lee went missing and the vehicle could have been used by anyone

Lee's family is offering a $5,000 reward [for the location of his remains] and the Lafayette County CrimeStoppers is offering a $1,000 reward for information that would lead to his being found.

Bond denied for suspect, new details emerge in Jimmie "Jay" Lee case (wreg.com)

It was also revealed that Herrington went to his parent’s house and took gardening tools.

Prosecutors pushed for no bond because they believe Herrington is a danger to the community and a flight risk.

Tayla Carey, the sister of Jimmie Jay Lee, is grateful bond has been denied for Herrington.

It’s a good feeling because a murderer is not on the streets and is not going to be on the streets, so everybody feels protected, because that’s all we want,” said Tayla Carey, Lee’s sister. “We want everyone to be protected and safe. The fact that he didn’t even make a bond is truly an honor. It’s a great feeling because justice still has not been served. It is still going to get served, this is just the beginning.

Prosecutors reveal timeline of what they believe led to the death of Jimmie ‘Jay’ Lee (wlox.com)

Read to the court was the last conversation between the two on Snapchat when they talked about “hooking up.” Messaging on Snapchat is how Lee and Herrington communicated.

[It was] stated that Lee and Herrington previously got into an argument, causing Lee to block Herrington from the social media site. The detective says Herrington then created another account and proceeded to message Lee.

[Herrington invited Lee over to make up, and Lee agreed to come.]

In possibly the biggest revelation of Tuesday’s hearing, while on the witness stand, Baker announced that they were able to get a hold of some of the Google searches from Herrington’s MacBook.

Baker said at 5:56 a.m., minutes before Lee arrived at the apartment, Herrington Googled, “How long does it take to strangle someone gabby petito”.

Surveillance footage [from after the car was dropped off] shows Herrington flagging someone down for a ride at a nearby gas station, according to Baker. He said that person was someone who recognized Herrington and offered to give him a ride home.
(WOW. Imagine being that person given everything we know now...)

During the more than five hours-long hearing, it was stated cadaver dogs hit on a dead body scent inside Herrington’s apartment, as well as inside his SUV and work truck.

Investigators said they found strands of blonde hair inside Herrington’s SUV. Baker told the court that Lee had blonde in [his] hair. Investigators say they have more evidence connecting Herrington to the crime and are waiting for it to return from a crime lab.

In an interview with the Oxford Police Department, Herrington admitted to investigators that he and Lee had a sexual relationship. The District Attorney’s Office believes Herrington feared being outed.

Both articles 100% worth the read.

Prosecutor shares videos, internet search history in making case against bail for man charged with murder of missing Ole Miss student Lee - The Oxford Eagle | The Oxford Eagle

Jay Lee case: Timeline, what we know so far - Mississippi Today

Lee’s friend tells OPD that Lee was in the car on the way to meet someone “he had previously hooked up with,” Baker testified.

Lee didn’t say who he was going to meet, Baker testified that the friend recalled, but said he had blocked the person on social media following a fight they’d had a few hours earlier. The person then reached out on Snapchat “under a username Jay Lee didn’t recognize,” Baker testified Lee’s friend said, and “offered to do something to Jay Lee they’d never done before” that was implied to be sexual in nature.

OPD receives Lee’s Snapchat data – including his messages and blocked contacts – and identifies Herrington as a person of interest.

Lee’s Snapchat data corroborates the account his friend gave to OPD on July 10. Snapchat’s location data puts Lee in the vicinity of Herrington’s apartment for the last time at 6:12 a.m. on July 8.

Starting at 5:17 a.m. on July 8, Lee’s Snapchat messages show a conversation with an account named “redeye_24” that Lee doesn’t recognize. OPD determines “redeye_24” is Herrington by identifying the phone number associated with the Snapchat account, a Google Voice number registered to an email for Herrington’s podcast, “Dirt 2 Diamonds.” An account belonging to Herrington is also among Lee’s blocked contacts.

In the messages, Herrington asks Lee to “come back” to his apartment, but Lee initially refuses, calling the way Herrington treated him earlier that night as an “ move.” Lee then says that he thinks Herrington is “just tryna lure me over there to beat my *advertiser censored* or something.” Herrington replies, “you trippin,” adding, “I do feel bad because we cool so I ain’t trying to end it like this.”

Lee replies the only way he will go back to Herrington’s apartment is if Herrington reciprocates oral sex, and Herrington agrees. Lee tells Herrington it won’t “end up good” if he tries to “hurt me or some *advertiser censored*.” Herrington replies “I know.”

OPD receives a forensic copy of Herrington’s MacBook that shows his Google search history. The forensic copy shows that on July 7, Herrington had googled flights from Dallas to Singapore. That night, he looked at a Twitter profile titled #TransLivesMatter that posts pornographic videos of trans people.

The copy also showed that Herrington was looking at Lee’s Twitter page at 5:21 a.m., a few minutes after he first messaged Lee on Snapchat. At 5:56 a.m., minutes after Lee messaged Herrington he was on his way, the copy shows that Herrington searched “how long does it take to strangle someone gabby petito,” then “does pre workout boost testosterone.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState
Back