MS - Lauren Johansen, 22, body found ‘mutilated,’ wrapped in sheets at cemetery, Harrison County, 2 July 2024 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It's a sad twisted story. Lauren was only 22, unfortunately - she wasn't given the time to learn how to break free of this monster. Her death is doubly tragic because of the mistakes made - specifically I'm pointing at the judge who allowed him to make bail and his Mother who posted it. The monitoring bracelet error was bad, but I don't think he would have complied with those terms anyway - so IMO it was a moot point.

It's simple, if he were still sitting in jail, Lauren would be alive. If he had been prosecuted and sentenced to prison - it's highly likely she would freed herself from him.

Exactly.

I personally don't hold a lot of belief in the power of ankle monitors--we've seen so many cases where it turns out that no one is actually monitoring them to make sure conditions are adhered to.

It's horrifying that if what the reporter Levi Ismail says is right/if I'm understanding him correctly, that someone at Freedom Monitoring actual spoke to Lauren when Brice came in to get the new bracelet. By the 29th, Freedom KNEW the exact conditions of bail if they are claiming they had the parameters on the 28th and set them. Not only were they then fully aware when he came in on the 29th that he had violated his restrictions by leaving the county--for which they should have called police--but if they spoke with/saw Lauren theyknew he was breaking the no contact part of his order--and DEFINITELY should have called the police immediately for that.

But I think we all can think of one big reason that they didn't---because then they would have to admit to the police/court that they had screwed up big time. And they were all about CYA--both for themselves and their parent bond company.

Exactly.

I personally don't hold a lot of belief in the power of ankle monitors--we've seen so many cases where it turns out that no one is actually monitoring them to make sure conditions are adhered to.

It's horrifying that if what the reporter Levi Ismail says is right/if I'm understanding him correctly, that someone at Freedom Monitoring actual spoke to Lauren when Brice came in to get the new bracelet. By the 29th, Freedom KNEW the exact conditions of bail if they are claiming they had the parameters on the 28th and set them. Not only were they then fully aware when he came in on the 29th that he had violated his restrictions by leaving the county--for which they should have called police--but if they spoke with/saw Lauren theyknew he was breaking the no contact part of his order--and DEFINITELY should have called the police immediately for that.

But I think we all can think of one big reason that they didn't---because then they would have to admit to the police/court that they had screwed up big time. And they were all about CYA--both for themselves and their parent bond company.
Thank you, I didn’t realize that was the case last night when I wrote that.

I know this happens with victims of domestic violence. But it’s so difficult to comprehend from the outside looking in. Now I’m wondering if Lauren’s family knew she picked him up, at least her sister who she lived with. Did her Dad know, or at least suspect, they were together? I can’t imagine how difficult this was for her family. You can’t protect someone in this type of DV cycle.

I know this happens with victims of domestic violence. But it’s so difficult to comprehend from the outside looking in. Now I’m wondering if Lauren’s family knew she picked him up, at least her sister who she lived with. Did her Dad know, or at least suspect, they were together? I can’t imagine how difficult this was for her family. You can’t protect someone in this type of DV cycle.

Yes, his words are along the lines of "remember, we were told by the bonding company that this is Lauren's car, and Nakeda [the owner of Freedom Monitoring] says they met."

I'm sure Nakeda will claim she had no idea who Lauren was when she met her and that she had no way to know who she was. I wonder if Lauren was hoping that Nakeda would realize and call the cops.

Personally, I gotta say I am amazed at the nerve it took for Bricen to go to the ankle monitoring place in the car of the person he has the bracelet on to keep him from going near.....with that person IN THE CAR. But then again, given the breaks he's been given over and over and his sheer dumb luck at the incompetency of the system, I guess he felt pretty fearless.

IMHO--Lauren's dad did not know and hoped like heck that Lauren was finally free of the guy. From listening to his interviews, I think he would have called the court/police in Nashville himself in an instant if he had any inkling that Bricen had contacted Lauren. From looking at the pictures, Lauren's sister looks so much younger than her--I feel that if the sister knew, she was pressured by Lauren not to tell Dad.

NASHVILLE (Scripps News Nashville/Court TV) — A six-panel judge has scheduled an evidentiary hearing after a man allegedly murdered his girlfriend while out on bond.
[snip]
Now, a six-panel judge has scheduled an evidentiary hearing for Aug. 15, where representatives from Brooke’s Bail Bonding and On Time Bonding are expected to give testimony.

The courts are also requesting receipts, documents, emails and photographic evidence of what these companies knew before Rivers left for Mississippi.

Depending on the panel’s decision, each of these companies could be suspended or denied the ability to write bonds in Davidson County.

That’s not taking into consideration any possible criminal liability these companies may face.
Hearing ordered after man released on bond allegedly murders girlfriend

This is one reason why DV may not seem to be taken seriously. I mean, why should a cop waste their time arresting (usually) him, because they know darned well that (usually) she's just going to bail him out first thing in the morning? A restraining order is also not going to do any good if she calls him up and tells him where she's living.

Updates:

Denied bond for the murder charges.

Unbelievable bit:
"When Judge Gay Polk-Payton asked if he was out on bond at the time of the murder, Rivers replied, 'No, not to my knowledge.' ”

DUDE--you literally had two bond companies cover your bond. A bond company representative is who picked you up from prison and took you to the ankle monitor company. Are you that stupid, have no clue what the word bond means, or are you just a compulsive liar??

It is believed that Lauren was killed near her home before her car and body were taken to Harrison County.

His next hearing is August 15th.

According to prosecutors, Rivers tried to clean the car to hide evidence.

"Sheriff Charlie Sims said investigators are looking for surveillance video along South 11th and South 10th Avenue in Hattiesburg, as well as the Highway 42 bypass into Petal."

That was a little confusing. So now Rivers is appearing in court in Mississippi. I guess he thought he could lie about being out on bond from Tennessee and the MS courts wouldn’t know. Lying has worked for him in the past, so he tried it again.

It’s a sad day in America when the Father of a murdered DV victim with the circumstances in this case- expresses gratitude that the killer will not be allowed to make bail.

Is that irony shocking to anyone else?

That was a little confusing. So now Rivers is appearing in court in Mississippi. I guess he thought he could lie about being out on bond from Tennessee and the MS courts wouldn’t know. Lying has worked for him in the past, so he tried it again.

I guess he thought that maybe Tennessee's system would continue to be dysfunctional and not send his info over to MS in a prompt fashion?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HollyMcKee
Back