MS MS - Shondra May, 17, Forest, 4 Feb 1986

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Mrs. JF, So good to hear from you and know that there are still people interested in Shondra's case. Donna was a terrible shock to us all and thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers. Maybe we can find her killer soon. There's nothing like living the same nightmare twice in one lifetime

There were rumors of a van but nothing was ever proven about a van.

Mr May - I also read something about her possibly kept in a cold environment, or in a van, it made me think of the ice plant on 488 and across the road from there are abandoned refrigerated trailers that have been there as long as I can remember. Have they ever been looked at?
Also, do you know who the judge was that ordered the gag & why he ordered it? I always thought someone higher up or with connections had that ordered via the judge. Wasn't there a corrupt senator from that area?

Mrs. JF, So good to hear from you and know that there are still people interested in Shondra's case. Donna was a terrible shock to us all and thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers. Maybe we can find her killer soon. There's nothing like living the same nightmare twice in one lifetime

Thank you for replying, T. It is so good to be in touch. I am thinking of you and C every day and pray that you can find peace. I think of Shondra every day, too; have all these years. I sent you another message. Let me know what you think.

wpp - I have heard the rumors of a cold environment before but there is no proof of it. Shondra was kept alive for 17 to 19 days but we don't know where or in what condition. We were told that much of the evidence was destroyed because of the time spent in the water and as I have stated above some of the evidence was lost because of the errors made at the scene. I do know where the ice plant that you are referring to is located but if I'm not mistaken wasn't it still in production at the time of Shondra's disappearance?
As to the gag order, I can't remember which judge issued the order but if memory serves correctly the MHP asked for the gag order. There was so many rumors and speculations flying around at the time and the investigators had some evidence that they didn't want leaked at the time. So, a gag order was placed on the case to supposedly slow down the press and the rumors (not that it worked very well). Hind sight is always 20/20 and now I'm not sure that this was the best action at the time. I'm also not sure if the gag order is still in effect or not. I do not know if there is a time frame on such things or not.
I don't remember a corrupt senator at the time but there was a corrupt sheriff in Scott county at the time and he caused a lot of "jurisdiction" problems for a while. There were also some other corrupt public officials that I would prefer not to discuss on this forum at this time.

I had not previously heard that Shondra had been kept alive for sometime prior to her murder. I think you are right in that the ice plant was open at that time, however a really corrupt public official could have pulled strings for storage there & they may have never known what he was storing, especially if he were an avid hunter. Obviously just speculation... I agree with you though there were some corrupt public officials and yes like you I agree that this is not the forum for that discussion. I would message you but it appears that messages are public as well, so I'm not sure how to have that conversation.

Do you think there is any correlation between Shondra's murder & that of Donna?

wpp, No I do not think that there is any correlation between Shondra's murder and Donna's.

The sheriff's department was cleaned up a long time ago and I think it is still in good shape now and for the most part most of the public officials are fairly honest but there are still a couple here and there that are still in office that are not.

Just checking in on Shondra. How I wish this terrible crime could be solved.
T.., did you read the comments on Topix or here about the poster who has given recent information to the MHP regarding her brother. I really don't mean to be insensitive regarding Shondra's case, but I thought you might recognize the name as I did. I wonder what your thoughts would be on this information. You can message me if you don't feel like replying here.

Actually, I think this info was posted on Donna's thread so you might read it there. I have asked for someone who knows how to bring those posts forward to Shondra's thread as I don't know how. But I see after looking here that they are still on Donna's thread.

Just checking in on Shondra. How I wish this terrible crime could be solved.
T.., did you read the comments on Topix or here about the poster who has given recent information to the MHP regarding her brother. I really don't mean to be insensitive regarding Shondra's case, but I thought you might recognize the name as I did. I wonder what your thoughts would be on this information. You can message me if you don't feel like replying here.

Actually, I think this info was posted on Donna's thread so you might read it there. I have asked for someone who knows how to bring those posts forward to Shondra's thread as I don't know how. But I see after looking here that they are still on Donna's thread.

Mrs. F, Yes I have read the comments on Topix. I know a good bit about this situation also. This originally came up about 3 years ago. There is a lot of internal tension in this family to say the least. Of course you know, I graduated with D, attended church with him and my daughter babysitted for them (D and his wife). The sister that is accusing D is questionable in my mind. But to put the issue to rest, D, has offered to voluntary take a polygraph and a DNA test. The investigator that W talked to looked into the allegations and found no grounds or evidence to sustain the allegations. So, the hunt goes on.

Mrs. F, Yes I have read the comments on Topix. I know a good bit about this situation also. This originally came up about 3 years ago. There is a lot of internal tension in this family to say the least. Of course you know, I graduated with D, attended church with him and my daughter babysitted for them (D and his wife). The sister that is accusing D is questionable in my mind. But to put the issue to rest, D, has offered to voluntary take a polygraph and a DNA test. The investigator that W talked to looked into the allegations and found no grounds or evidence to sustain the allegations. So, the hunt goes on.

Thanks for that info, T. You have substantiated my thoughts on this item. I saw W on a regular basis at LA, knew of the turmoil in the family, knew of her personal problems. While D is a strange bird, I was suspicious of her allegations because I knew her so well. Yes, the hunt goes on. I am committed to finding who murdered Shondra!

Thanks for that info, T. You have substantiated my thoughts on this item. I saw W on a regular basis at LA, knew of the turmoil in the family, knew of her personal problems. While D is a strange bird, I was suspicious of her allegations because I knew her so well. Yes, the hunt goes on. I am committed to finding who murdered Shondra!

It is true that D volunteered to take a poly and supply DNA, but when it came time to do so, he lawyer’d up and refused to do either. Now granted he may still have nothing to hide, but if he had nothing to hide then why not go ahead like he’d originally agreed to do and supply both or one of what was requested……it is also true that W is questionable, but you have to also question why she would say such things about D if there was nothing to what she was saying…..while both are “hot-heads”, “strange birds” or however you want to call it, I have to stop and wonder what her motive would be to say such things if not because there was some truth to it……in my opinion, he is quite capable of doing such a heinous crime and she is quite capable of going crazy having kept his secret for all these years.....just my thoughts on the situation....Mr. May I mean you no disrespect since you say that he is your friend, but just know that he is still being considered in the matter......I hope and pray that the hunt does not go on for much longer!

It is true that D volunteered to take a poly and supply DNA, but when it came time to do so, he lawyer’d up and refused to do either. Now granted he may still have nothing to hide, but if he had nothing to hide then why not go ahead like he’d originally agreed to do and supply both or one of what was requested……it is also true that W is questionable, but you have to also question why she would say such things about D if there was nothing to what she was saying…..while both are “hot-heads”, “strange birds” or however you want to call it, I have to stop and wonder what her motive would be to say such things if not because there was some truth to it……in my opinion, he is quite capable of doing such a heinous crime and she is quite capable of going crazy having kept his secret for all these years.....just my thoughts on the situation....Mr. May I mean you no disrespect since you say that he is your friend, but just know that he is still being considered in the matter......I hope and pray that the hunt does not go on for much longer!

Thanks for this update, Vigilant. You must have an inside track on Shondra's case. If D is indeed a POI, I will be extremely interested in any details you find in the future. It is good to know that there are so many people out there who are still persistently interested in solving this heinous murder.

Sorry if this has been revealed in prior posts, but was any DNA retrieved from SM's body that could be used to connect anyone to the crime?

Sorry if this has been revealed in prior posts, but was any DNA retrieved from SM's body that could be used to connect anyone to the crime?

nola, I am almost sure there was DNA retrieved; however, in an earlier post, her brother, TRMay, said that much of the evidence was botched at the crime scene. If you look back aways, you will find his post.
At some point, T. may come back to this thread and you can discuss it with him. In light of the recent news regarding his SIL, I doubt it will be soon.

nola, I am almost sure there was DNA retrieved; however, in an earlier post, her brother, TRMay, said that much of the evidence was botched at the crime scene. If you look back aways, you will find his post.
At some point, T. may come back to this thread and you can discuss it with him. In light of the recent news regarding his SIL, I doubt it will be soon.

Wonder if the Leake County LE could help out the Scott County folks...what a difference LE makes in the resolution of any criminal case. I am assuming that Scott LE are still assigned to SM, right? Or would the Bolton LE ( is that Warren County?) also have their hand in the investigation...
so appreciate your local insight into both of these cases...thank you! One down, one still to go!

nola, There is DNA evidence and it has been compared against some possibe suspects but we haven't gotten a match as of yet.

As far as who is handling the case, it is the MBI. Scott county still has some of the files but the case is being spearheaded out of Jackson. There is a cold case investigator assigned to the case. Greg has some possible leads that he is going to assist the MBI with. If it makes any difference, one of the MBI investigators that helped solve Donna's murder is assisting with Shondra's case.

nola, There is DNA evidence and it has been compared against some possibe suspects but we haven't gotten a match as of yet.

As far as who is handling the case, it is the MBI. Scott county still has some of the files but the case is being spearheaded out of Jackson. There is a cold case investigator assigned to the case. Greg has some possible leads that he is going to assist the MBI with. If it makes any difference, one of the MBI investigators that helped solve Donna's murder is assisting with Shondra's case.

That is great news...and a blessing that Greg is also getting involved. If renewed interest and digging can occur for Shondra's case, we could actually see a good purpose come from this recent horrific event.

The rural vicinity in which Shondra was abducted always made me think that this was a local person. Similar to Donna's case - the area was not a convenient locale or busy street - therefore, it just doesn't seem like this was a random act. Has there ever been any speculation that someone hid in her car when she left the store (didn't she buy a Valentines card before heading home) that night? Maybe someone gained assess to her backseat and hid; an accomplice could have followed until she arrived at the rural area in front of her home? There just had to be a good reason for Shondra to have stopped her car that night before reaching the safety of her home...
I see three possibilities: #1. Forced to stop; #2. Stopped by someone she thought she could trust (police lights, broken down motorist); or #3. Lured into the feeling that she needed/had to stop (car accident).

Again T, thank you for sharing so much with this forum. Your family is always in my thoughts and justice for Shondra is something that I pray for daily.
God Bless You!!!

Nola – The three possibilities that you listed above have all been considered and any one of the three could have been what happened. You are correct in that she stopped at the local TG&Y and picked up her boyfriend a Valentines card. LE has the receipt with a time dated stamp as to when she checked out. As far as an accomplice in the backseat of her car, it would have been extremely difficult for someone to have hidden in the backseat and Shondra not seen them. She was driving a 1985 Isuzu I-Mark (compact car) and the back seat was not very large and is very easily seen from the front bucket seats.

bumping for shondra and her family...lets keep this going you all are wonderful..many prayers go out to her family, it really seems like there is some tangible evidence to work with..god bless..

The strapping tape that was used in the crime...surely the tape was analyzed for identifying details. Any leads on who would have access to this sort of tape, the brand availability, etc. For some reason, I am thinking that I read at the time that there was a good bit of tape used --the person would have had to have purchased it somewhere or had it readily available to him. This killer has a family or works with people who may have suspected something - based on his use of this type of tape, someone could have noticed odd behavior or missed work...something.
Shondra's drivers license has never been found, correct? If the perp kept this as a souvenir someone may stumble across it one day - they may already have seen it, but didn't realize it's significance. I wonder if there is anyway to show what her license would have looked like to the public -- it could trigger someone's memory.

Just thinking out loud tonight and wanting a new lead to come to light for Shondra.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HollyMcKee
Back