MS MS - Zeb Hughes, 21, & Gunner Palmer, 16, Warren Co/MS River, 3 Dec 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
United Cajun Navy

30 Dec
Boats were on the water today.
However the weather does not look good for the area for the next couple days.
Please keep the families in your prayers and pray for the safety of ALL search teams.

I’d have to agree with @Quill

As long as they feel there’s a chance of recovery, they’ll continue to try and bring these boys home for their mama’s to lay to rest.

That’s merely my humble opinion.

I'd like hearing how they think recovery is possible at this juncture.

Here is another fascinating article re the Mississippi and attempts to recover bodies. This is in St Charles Parish in LA but the Mississippi is dangerous wherever anyone goes in.

Most don’t survive battle with river, experts say

I'd like hearing how they think recovery is possible at this juncture.

Here is another fascinating article re the Mississippi and attempts to recover bodies. This is in St Charles Parish in LA but the Mississippi is dangerous wherever anyone goes in.

Most don’t survive battle with river, experts say
There’s no arguing that fact for sure.
Sadly, living so close to the MS River, losing someone in the River happens too often...and sadly so many are never recovered.
I grew up respecting the MS River.
My daughters have been taught to respect it.
Anyone who lives close knows the chances of you surviving if you go in are pretty slim. And recovery just as slim.

With that being said, I also believe the continuous search to bring these boys home to be laid to rest is almost expected around here (the south). Not so much because you’re obligated but more it’s just something you do. I don’t know if that makes sense. (And I’m not at all saying this mentality doesn’t occur in other areas/regions)

There’s no arguing that fact for sure.
Sadly, living so close to the MS River, losing someone in the River happens too often...and sadly so many are never recovered.
I grew up respecting the MS River.
My daughters have been taught to respect it.
Anyone who lives close knows the chances of you surviving if you go in are pretty slim. And recovery just as slim.

With that being said, I also believe the continuous search to bring these boys home to be laid to rest is almost expected around here (the south). Not so much because you’re obligated but more it’s just something you do. I don’t know if that makes sense. (And I’m not at all saying this mentality doesn’t occur in other areas/regions)
There were the men in Fl. They searched a long time for them too.

I felt a bit agoraphobic when reading the above article. Too much can go wrong while on or around the river.

United Cajun Navy Mississippi
UPDATE:
Day 30 - Saturday Morning
Search for the missing boys.
Today is the 27th day
United Cajun Navy
coordinated boats, airplanes, helicopters, volunteers, and drones in the search for the missing boys out of 30 days since they have been missing. Once again, this is a coordinated search and we are sharing information with officials. There are 6 volunteer boaters that are currently on the water that have side scan or better sonar to assist in the search. Temperature is currently 40° which makes it feel much colder in a moving boat on the water.

The boats are launching at 3 different locations from private boat landings in Louisiana.
The visibility is improving from the low cloud ceiling this morning and it looks like the 2 airplanes should be ready to fly within the hour. We have a different helicopter and pilot flying in from out of state to assist in the search that should be flying the Mississippi River starting around noon.

We still could use volunteers with boats that have side scan or better sonar capable of navigating the Mississippi River system. We also would like to offer anyone or any other organization an opportunity to work TOGETHER with us in the search for the missing boys At times we need spotters in boats, planes and helicopters.

This is a New Year and chance to work TOGETHER to show the world how volunteers come TOGETHER in times of need. Not everyone can assist in the search for the missing boys
But, EVERYONE can pray for the families of the missing boys as well as safety and guidance of volunteers And SHARE this post.
United Cajun Navy Mississippi
and the families of the missing boys need your help.
PLEASE SHARE THIS POST
#unitedisstrength

All I can think of is all these volunteers out on the river with low visibility, and cold weather. How can anyone guarantee their safety? I'm afraid others may go missing too. I hate to say it but in the interest of everyone's safety, it may be time to pull the plug on this search.

IMO, they have gone above and beyond the call of duty. And since it's a recovery of 2 men who are most certainly deceased, it seems to me being lost to the river is not a disgrace, but a result and acceptance of doing business on and around the river.

United Cajun Navy

Jan 3
UPDATE:

4 boats, 1 plane, and 1 helicopter searched until 5pm with 2 boats and 1 plane searching an extra 45 mins.
The MS River continues to rise which is causing a dangerous climate for boats on the water. There’s also a whole lot more barge traffic and debris.
We will assess the situation for tomorrow.

Photos of the river’s condition are included in the post.

United Cajun Navy
8 Jan 2021
UPDATE
Day 36
Friday evening
All 5 boats are off the water for the day in our coordinated search effort for the missing boys.
The 1 airplane in the search was only able to fly one hour due to cloudy conditions and wind.
The Mississippi River is continuing to rise pushing lots of dangerous debris downstream.
We will monitor the weather conditions tomorrow as the high will be in the low 40's with overnight lows below freezing.
Please keep the families of the missing boys as well as the safety and guidance of those involved the search efforts.

All I can think of is all these volunteers out on the river with low visibility, and cold weather. How can anyone guarantee their safety? I'm afraid others may go missing too. I hate to say it but in the interest of everyone's safety, it may be time to pull the plug on this search.

IMO, they have gone above and beyond the call of duty. And since it's a recovery of 2 men who are most certainly deceased, it seems to me being lost to the river is not a disgrace, but a result and acceptance of doing business on and around the river.

While I can understand how you feel, it may help to know that these searchers understand & respect this river immensely. Most have been raised up on it starting at a young age. While I realize that no one is a match for it, (they don't call it the mighty Mississippi for nothing), I do have confidence that this group does have enough healthy respect for it and understand when they need to take a step back.

Was the dog ever found?

No, and this is really concerning to me. I do wonder what could have happened that would cause the dog to possibly drown, too. He is accustomed to being out on/in water and could certainly swim. I realize that even the best swimmers, human or canine, can drown. I guess I am just thinking out loud, so forgive my random thoughts. It is just mind boggling to me that that haven't found at least one of them by now.

There is always the possibility that someone picked the dog up and did not report it. I hate to say this, but we have been experiencing missing dogs in epidemic proportions in our state. There is a dog missing from my area that the owners have no idea how he could have escaped from their yard. He has been spotted wandering close by but he has brightly colored roped dangling from his collar which did not originate with his owner. I had already come to the conclusion that people were stealing pets and now we know that is correct. Surveillance video is telling the tale. There are even those who pose as "pet adopters" who pay a small rescue fee, then flip the dogs at these sales asking for a much larger re-homing fee. It is all about $$$. :mad: Its despicable and somewhat new so many are not yet aware enough to be able to avoid these folks.

I really hope this is not what happened to this dog. I kept hoping he would be found giving some much needed clues as to the whereabouts of the boys. :(

Forgive my rambling this morning. :confused:

United Cajun Navy

UPDATE
Day 41

The weather improved enough today for 2 United Cajun Navy Mississippi volunteer boaters to continue searching for the missing boys.
These 2 boaters are concentrating South of Natchez, Ms.

Although still cold, the weather will be much better today than the last 3 days.
The low was 36° with the high expected to be in the mid to upper 50's and sunny skies.

There may be more local volunteers assisting in the search for the missing boys, however most of our United Cajun Navy volunteers are from out of town and need guidance.

Many people are continuing to reach out to us to volunteer to assist in the search.
The rising Mississippi River is creating increasingly dangerous current and debris floating downstream conditions unsuitable for most people and types of boats.

Please continue to keep the families of the missing boys as well as the safety and guidance of ALL involved in the search efforts in your prayers.
#unitedisstrength

I'm wondering if they are checking the shore line and debris fields for the boys, the boys could be floating in the middle of the debris or washed ashore by now! I also found it odd that a black lab was located in the area where the boys were lost, I believe the breeder said the markings were different, he could have been wrong and thinking of another dog he bred. Black labs pretty much look identical making it difficult to tell the difference between one another, same as yellow labs except yellow labs can be lighter blond or darker blond. I had a friend who adopted 3 black rescues different years apart, they all looked identical with the exception of one that was a little heavier. I would think that if the breeder hasn't seen the dog recently he could have been wrong about it. If he called the dog by name it probably wouldn't react to it, they become skittish when on their own for any amount of time and confused by what happened!!! They didn't say anything about the family identifying it which confused me, I would think they would have been the ones to identify it! The other possibility is one of the boys while panicking could have held on to it to keep themselves from going under and the dog ended up drowning too! I'm still praying they locate all three of them, my thoughts and prayers are with the families and recovery team. ❤

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back