MT MT - Barbara Bolick, 55, Corvallis, 18 Jul 2007

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
barbara_assunta_bolick_4.jpg

Barbara Bolick, 55
Missing since 18 July 2007

Her vanishing into thin air within seconds is highly unlikely. There must be more to the story and at least one of the 3 people that were in the house must know something.

Is it so unlikely? If she'd lost her footing, she could've dropped into a blind spot. She might not even had time to scream. Maybe the wind got knocked out of her as she slipped. Apparently, the hiker with her was fully cooperative with the authorities, and surely he would've come up with a less remarkable scenario if there was foul play involved.

Last edited:

No mention of Barbara in either obituary?? Unbelievable! Barbara’s is one of those cases that I think about a lot. Did he ever have Barbara legally declared dead? Was there a life insurance policy he collected? I wonder if LE will ever say if he was ever a suspect or person of interest? So many questions!
I agree with those who believe she never made it to the trail. JMO

No mention of Barbara in either obituary?? Unbelievable! Barbara’s is one of those cases that I think about a lot. Did he ever have Barbara legally declared dead? Was there a life insurance policy he collected? I wonder if LE will ever say if he was ever a suspect or person of interest? So many questions!
I agree with those who believe she never made it to the trail. JMO

I’d guess that his second wife wrote the obituary, and didn’t want to think about his first wife?

And speaking of that, I’d guess that he had Barbara declared dead, or marrying the second wife would be a bit awkward.

The question of her not making it to the trail: it’s a simple explanation for what might have happened, but it depends on s lot of things working out just perfectly.

Her husband’s female cousin and the cousin’s male friend and the husband himself, presumably, all collaborate on a story to hide....something? The cousin’s friend for some reason agrees to a deception that’ll leave him hung out to dry, if anything should go wrong in the way of witnesses on the trail? And in fact, there ARE witnesses on the trail, the two men and a dog, but by sheer dumb luck they never show up to tell what they saw. This all seems improbable to me. Of course, her disappearing on the trail seems very improbable, too...

all MOO

Think she just fell while her fellow hiker wasn't looking. If she slipped suddenly, she might not have had time to scream. Her body fell into the overgrowth or into a crevice and is waiting to be found.
I agree that’s what I surmised well. A person can walk 80 meters in a minute so she might have been a lot further than he thought. She fell in between some rocks and her body got stuck there.

There’s no way they wouldn’t have found Barbara if she simply fell. There were searches and dogs were brought in. The dogs acted like she was never there. The local newspaper had a comments section where searchers talked about everything that was done.

I really want to know if the husband collected a life insurance policy, if she had one.

There’s no way they wouldn’t have found Barbara if she simply fell. There were searches and dogs were brought in. The dogs acted like she was never there. The local newspaper had a comments section where searchers talked about everything that was done.

In my opinion, there are so many cases of a dog/handler team failing, that we cannot draw any conclusions from it happening.

Obviously, the cases where a dog/handler team succeeds are far less likely to be famous mysteries that we still think about, decades later. Failure gets most of the publicity.

MOO

An interesting case. One thing that jumped out to me was that it seemed that the cousin that didn't make the hike, began worrying that something could be wrong, quite early on. I wonder why ? It seems a bit strange if Barbara was such an experienced hiker.

I just read about Barbara on Reddit -- Unsolved. Seems odd that the dogs didn't pick up her scent. Certainly more questions than answers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli
Back