Found Alive MT - Madeline Connelly, 23, & dog Mogie, Bear Creek Trailhead, Essex, 4 May 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Oh no! I would have hoped she would stay close to the stream for water! Or at least back tracked when she needed it :(

bumping for Madeline
Saying prayers. My Mom and Dad were both from the Flathead lake area, and we spent summers there before we left home for college/military. That can be rough terrain and my extended family says there is still snow on the ground in places with temps down in the 30's at night. Let's hope she found a seasonal cabin that has some supplies and hunkered down waiting to be found. There are few people hiking this time of year while the grizzlies come out of their dens after hibernation with cubs, hungry and cranky. This area has the largest population of grizzlies in the lower 48 and the park service websites have numerous warnings of hiking in groups smaller than 4 people. (and even then they say everyone should have bear spray).

As an avid hiker who usually also takes one of my dogs, this is especially scary to me, though not about me at all. I guess we get involved in stories more deeply perhaps where we feel a "connection" of sorts.

Please be safe - they are looking for you, Madeline, and we who can't look are hoping for your safe return to those who know and love you.

Personnel from Flathead Hot Shots and U.S. National Forest Service joined the search on Tuesday.

13835063_G.jpg

http://www.krtv.com/story/35387822/...ad-county-for-missing-hiker-madeline-connelly

Madeline is an experienced hiker. Madeline recently spent two nights at nearby Starved Rock by herself.

"I believe she was intending spending one night out there and come back Friday," her aunt said.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...go-Area-Hiker-Lost-in-Montana--421689734.html

I saw the news interview here at home in Chicago. With Montana parents who rented a cabin nearby the lake as a kid, I know of no "Starved Rock". What her family member was referring to was Starved Rock State Park in Illinois. It's a small state park near several small cities, no mountains, well-marked trails, fresh drinking water, no wild animals but for squirrels and a few raccoons and it's full of a lot of grandparents in RV's camping and a few young people in tents It might be a fun outing but it would NOT prepare you for the terrain she went into. Praying she got some serious high country experience when she lived in Arizona.

I'm glad her and Mogi have each other. Hoping for good news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Her sister was interviewed in this article:

"She's an experienced outdoorswoman. Very resourceful. Very smart,” There's nothing she enjoys more than exploring the great outdoors with her dog, Mogi.

"She moved back here just to save up some money but then she realized--She just kept saying the mountains are calling me. I have to go back out there.”

"We're assuming she somehow got lost during that day and never made it back to her car. But we haven't seen any signs of anything negative in terms of torn clothing or any signs of struggle with an animal, so we're positive."

Madeline's sisters have joined other relatives at the family's River Forest home keeping tabs on the search.

"The latest is they've tripled their crew. There's maybe 40, 50 people going out there now. They have people on horses, they have new dogs coming in. They have the helicopters.”

http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/local/253645409-story

From topo map, looks like she could have taken any of three routes to get back to her car. Two would take her back to the highway, a few miles away from the Bear Creek Trailhead, where she would have had to walk, or hitch, back to her car.

Here's my KML file so you can open in Google Earth:

https://sites.google.com/site/ondafringe/MadelineConnelly.kml

Yellow lines indicate approximate trail locations, based on topo map.

George

Such great news. My heart always skips a beat or two when fur babies are involved. ❤️

OMG! I just stumbled upon this thread and just as I am reaching the end of it, the positive outcome happens!
I am really glad she and her dog are safe!
Prayers for their recovery now that they are safe :)

Such great news. My heart always skips a beat or two when fur babies are involved. ❤️

So thankful all the prayers were answered and that both she and her dog are OK. Having her furry best friend along I'm sure helped her stay focused, alerted her to any bears nearby, and he could help her stay warm at night. I couldn't have better news today, and all my family in the Flathead area are going to be saying thanks and a toast tonight to all the people that helped find her.

What great news!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop