MT MT - Meghan Rouns, 27, horseback riding, horse found, phone found in saddlebag, McMaster Hills Rec Area, NE of Helena, 4 Oct 2024 *Active Search*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ohhh I don't like this. This is saying to me "thrown and horse took off". Not good.
As the mom of a 1,000% horse girl, I get it. My daughter wears an Apple Watch that will call me if it senses a fall and she doesn’t respond. Horses are beautiful and wonderful creatures, but they can be dangerous - whether intentionally or not. But I believe that a strong love of horses is genetic and my daughter was “double-cursed - I rode horses since I was 7 y/o - at my insistence - not even knowing at that time that my grandfather was a breeder of Tennessee Walkers (he lived 1/2 way across the Country and died when I was 4 y/o). And my husband’s mom rode horses and grew up on a farm.

I pray she is mildly injured and can’t walk either because she’s tangled in something or a fractured foot/leg and that she will be found otherwise safe ASAP.

Last edited:
As the mom of a 1,000% horse girl, I get it. My daughter wears an Apple Watch that will call me if it senses a fall and she doesn’t respond. Horses are beautiful and wonderful creatures, but they can be dangerous - whether intentionally or not. But I believe that a strong love of horses is genetic and my daughter was “double-cursed - I rode horses since I was 7 y/o - at my insistence - not even knowing at that time that my grandfather was a breeder of Tennessee Walkers (he lived 1/2 way across the Country and died when I was 4 y/o). And my husband’s mom rode horses and grew up on a farm.

I pray she is mildly injured and can’t walk either because she’s tangled in something or a fractured foot/leg and that she will be found otherwise safe ASAP.

Would the Apple watch work in areas with poor cell coverage? It can be "hit and miss" out there sometimes.

As a horse rider, my guess is horse spooked and she was thrown. Horses can do this 180 turn that leaves one hanging in the air where the horse used to be... Questions I have are: Was she wearing a helmet (In her photos, I only see helmet use during the barrel racing)? What condition were the stirrups in (i.e. did they look like a rider was hung up in them and drug for a ways?)? How did the horse seem (anxious, stressed out, matter of fact? How was this horse to ride?
Yeah, I've been wondering about a helmet, but didn't want to speak up because I'm not a rider myself.

That said, there are things a helmet can't protect you from. My grandmother was in her sixties when she was thrown off a horse. Broke her back in two places, and was lucky not to be paralysed because the hospital, unbelievably, never x-rayed her. She found out years later after she was fully healed. Had chronic back pain the rest of her life and lost about four inches in height, though.

MOO

Those who know Meghan say she rides in that frequently and is an experienced rider. But accidents can and do happen regardless of either.

I’m also confused about the water search and the statement in the news report - “Rouns’s cell phone GPS data maps heavy presence in the lake”.

Her phone was in a saddlebag. So are they saying the gps location indicates she was right next to the water? Would she have taken her down to drink and something happened? I’m trying to imagine a scenario, but having difficulty coming up with something that makes sense.

No one has mentioned the state of the horse, only that her husband found her at 3 am Saturday morning.

Meghan sent someone a snapchat - “Sheriff Dutton says the last known contact anyone had with Meghan was at about 4:20 pm on Friday when she took a picture on SnapChat. She was last known to be wearing blue jeans, a black shirt, possibly a grey hoodie and a ball cap”.

I guess there’s no way to determine where that picture was taken?

Chances are if she had a ball cap there was no helmet. I, like, azure am also a horse trainer. I have had some weird falls and seen some weird ones too. The horse could have tripped and she fell off, horse could have slipped and fell. We do we know the experience of the horse? Could she have dismounted for some reason and accidentally been kicked. Could she have tried to get the horse to drink out of the lake and it wailed her in the head. Lots of possibilities

From the trail map it looks like a direct route towards the lake going down spring gulch is about 3 miles. 2 miles if you head straight down Lake Trail. perhaps there is an area where you can access the lake and even walk your horse into the water. The topo map sort of suggests that possibility.

She probably didn't try to actually swim her horse if it was found saddled but she could have walked it into the water and came to grief. Horses sometime paw and laydown in shallow water

Last edited:
From the trail map it looks like a direct route towards the lake going down spring gulch is about 3 miles. 2 miles if you head straight down Lake Trail. perhaps there is an area where you can access the lake and even walk your horse into the water. The topo map sort of suggests that possibility.

She probably didn't try to actually swim her horse if it was found saddled but she could have walked it into the water and came to grief. Horses sometime paw and laydown in shallow water
How long would a horse stay wet/damp or show signs of being in the water in that climate? For instance the legs. Is it possible that was still visible when they found him/her (and that’s why they search by the water?). Or is the water full of algea at the moment and thus visible on the horse? Or was the snapchat a picture by the water?

Last night it was down to 35. At this point, it is probably a recovery. I am worried about potential kidnapping as well, especially if she had a specific routine, going on set days, times, and route. Could someone have noticed this schedule?

On Sunday the focus was on Hauser Lake, a robotic-operated vehicle and divers were brought in a mile and half downriver from Canyon Ferry Dam.

Rouns’s cell phone GPS data maps heavy presence in the lake.

"Her horse was found just up the hill from the lake, so this has become our primary area to search from the evidence we have gathered," said Willy Wegner, the operations lieutenant of Lewis and Clark County Search and Rescue.

In addition to the evidence that has been found, search and rescue teams have been using a process of elimination method.

The point where Lower Spring Gulch trail ends at the river/lake is 1.5 miles as the crow flies from the dam

The point where Lake trail hits the lake is 2 1/2 miles from the dam.

1.5 miles from the dam via the course of the river/lake is way up by the houses on the lake. Likely not the area of interest

Looking at the KTVH article, I was struck by this paragraph:

After speaking with Meghan’s parents, brother, and sister-in-law they shared their gratitude towards all the effort given by the community to find Meghan.

No mention of the husband. Could be nothing but it caught my attention.

I found that MR uploaded this very trailride on the same app I use. I quickly called the sheriff phone number listed in the op and the number is no longer active. The missing persons post is also not active so perhaps she has been recently found

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artificiallife86
Back