MT MT - Meghan Rouns, 27, horseback riding, horse found, phone found in saddlebag, McMaster Hills Rec Area, NE of Helena, 4 Oct 2024 *Active Search*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Not sure about Montana but on the East Coast it's been a horrible season for ground wasps. The more I think about it, the more I wonder if the duo ran into a nest of something and went to the water instinctively. I've been on a pretty bombproof horse that understandably lost his mind when he stepped into a nest on a trail.

I am a lifetime rider and have been on hundreds of trail rides. ALWAYS wear a helmet. Have fallen off when a deer spooked my horse, but horse went a small distance and stopped. We also swim our horses! If there is a creek or stream we let them drink and often they walk in circles pawing the water - some try to lie down in it.
ANYTHING can happen on a trail ride. Even the steadiest horse can trip, get spooked or bolt. That is why I stopped trail riding alone.

This happened in Montana, a state known for its dense population of puma and brown bear. Perhaps an apex predator appeared or charged/threatened the duo? Anything is possible, but only a few are genuinely likely. JMOO.
Puma? Nope, not in Montana.

And this is why after I sold my horse I said "I will never ride anything with a brain again", seriously! So we bought a boat.
People get killed on boats and by boats as well. Id definitely choose riding something with a brain opposed to something mechanical. Horses sense things we can't, I'd much rather have a horse be alert to near by dangers, just always be prepared for something to happen. Yes I have and ride horses, so do my children and I have a boat as well, I spend way more time on horses than boats. Forming a bond with a horse is so much more enjoyable. MOO..

Anything can happen at any given time, whether it be on horse, on a boat, in a car, walking down a street or jogging a public trail, just be aware at all times even then it may not always be safe. Life is filled with dangers can either enjoy it to its fullest or hide from dangerous situations. To each their own. IMO

I think the sheriff is mistaken about how the horse ended up in the water. Horses rarely if ever would spook into a body of water. Also, if the water entry was due to a spook, the horse, upon climbing out, would bolt back up the trail from whence it came. Instead it wandered around in a normal grazing pattern according to the recorded track.

The investigation pics of the entry point show a pretty low and flat bank. I can easily imagine (and the track suggests) MR stepping the horse down the bank at least to take a drink if not also asking it to step in if its a shallow area.

Track showing the horse grazing nearby after climbing back up the bank:

Screenshot (30).png

The elk rut seems to have started around September and runs through October. I’ve never encountered an elk during rut season but I’ve seen videos. Mule deer rut appears to be later but I’ve encountered them on the trails in Wyoming which is startling to say the least. Come around a bend in the trail and surprise!

The lake seems to be a reservoir with a dam creating a wide spot in the hills for the Missouri River.
I found this nautical map but I’m not sure where she went in but maybe someone can overlay it to see how rapidly it gets deep.

IMOO

Screenshot (31).png

If the track is correct, they were swimming circles out there. perhaps the saddlebag could float during this.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thundercoyote
Back