Case File 1071DFMT

PMeehan.jpg
PMeehan1.jpg
PMeehan2.jpg

PMeehan3.jpg
PMeehan4.jpg

Meehan, circa 1989
Patricia Meehan
Missing since April 20, 1989 from Circle, McCone County, Montana.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: November 1, 1951
Age at Time of Disappearance: 37 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'3"; 112-117 lbs.

Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Strawberry blonde hair; green-gray eyes. She has an eastern accent, fair complexion and freckles.
  • Dentals : Not Available
  • Fingerprints : Not Available
  • DNA : Not Available
On April 4th, 1989, near the remote town of Circle, MT, Patty Meehan was involved in a head-on collision with another vehicle. The driver of the other vehicle stated to LE that Patty emerged from the wreckage, "looked right through him", and then turned and walked off into a field. Patty climbed over a fence and disappeared.

Patty's parents travelled from PA to look for her. Her parents came to believe that Patty was hitchhiking aimlessly along I-90.
The couple carried posters and videotape of Patty and showed them at restaurants and other stops along the highway. Out of some 60 reports of sightings, the parents considered 5 to be confirmed.
On May 4th, Patty was spotted by a police officer near Luverne, MN. She sat inside a restaurant until it closed, then left and entered another restaurant. The woman refused to ID herself to the officer.
On May 5th, she was reported in Souix Falls, SD; on May 11th, a man in Billings MT stated he spoke to Patty along an I-90 service road. She asked the man about Washington.
On May 19th, two waitresses in a Bozeman, MT restaurant stated that a woman they had spoken to earlier that week was the same woman in the parents' video.

There have been other credible sightings of Patty in various states, but to this day her parents have not heard from her.

I found a report from WA, in the town of Kalama (just north of Portland) that a car accident occured in May of '91 on I-5. The driver had been identified, but the female passenger was unknown. LE were not even able to determine her ethnicity. She was believed to have been a hitchhiker, between 20 and 39 years of age.
I'm trying to find more reports of the accident.

Bumping for Patty, who has to be out there somewhere- so please keep your eyes open, maybe she just needs some help to find her way back home.

Bumping for Patty...

I, too, remember seeing this on Unsolved Mysteries a few times. It does sound like she had some sort of mental breakdown. I remember that they found a camera either in her home or her car after she disappeared. They developed the photos, and one was of her taking a picture in the bathroom mirror. She had this very chilling, almost blank/distant look on her face. It gave me goosebumps. In fact, I see the photo is above in the first post (bottom right one).

From Highway 200 near Circle to I-94 is about 50 miles. The sightings are interesting, especially the May 4th & 5th ones. Luverne, Minnesota and Sioux Falls, South Dakota are about 25 miles apart, both along I-90. Going by the sightings, she traveled/hitchhiked east/southeast, and then went back north/northwest. Also, it would be interesting to know where exactly these sightings were. I'm very familiar with Sioux Falls, and there is a major truck stop off I-90 at Cliff Avenue (might fit with the hitchhiking theory).

One thought that crossed my mind was that she was drunk, and fled to avoid being caught for DUI. It's also very possible she died from exposure. That area around Circle (and pretty much all areas of MT) is very remote. I couldn't find the historical weather data, but in April, it can definitely get below freezing up there.

Also, I see that, according to the first post, the car accident was April 4th, but her "missing since" date is April 20th. I wonder why that is?

From The Doe Network:

Case File 1071DFMT

PMeehan.jpg
PMeehan1.jpg
PMeehan2.jpg

PMeehan3.jpg
PMeehan4.jpg

Meehan, circa 1989
Patricia Meehan
Missing since April 20, 1989 from Circle, McCone County, Montana.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: November 1, 1951
Age at Time of Disappearance: 37 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'3"; 112-117 lbs.

Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Strawberry blonde hair; green-gray eyes. She has an eastern accent, fair complexion and freckles.
  • Dentals : Not Available
  • Fingerprints : Not Available
  • DNA : Not Available
On April 4th, 1989, near the remote town of Circle, MT, Patty Meehan was involved in a head-on collision with another vehicle. The driver of the other vehicle stated to LE that Patty emerged from the wreckage, "looked right through him", and then turned and walked off into a field. Patty climbed over a fence and disappeared.

Patty's parents travelled from PA to look for her. Her parents came to believe that Patty was hitchhiking aimlessly along I-90.
The couple carried posters and videotape of Patty and showed them at restaurants and other stops along the highway. Out of some 60 reports of sightings, the parents considered 5 to be confirmed.
On May 4th, Patty was spotted by a police officer near Luverne, MN. She sat inside a restaurant until it closed, then left and entered another restaurant. The woman refused to ID herself to the officer.
On May 5th, she was reported in Souix Falls, SD; on May 11th, a man in Billings MT stated he spoke to Patty along an I-90 service road. She asked the man about Washington.
On May 19th, two waitresses in a Bozeman, MT restaurant stated that a woman they had spoken to earlier that week was the same woman in the parents' video.

There have been other credible sightings of Patty in various states, but to this day her parents have not heard from her.

I found a report from WA, in the town of Kalama (just north of Portland) that a car accident occured in May of '91 on I-5. The driver had been identified, but the female passenger was unknown. LE were not even able to determine her ethnicity. She was believed to have been a hitchhiker, between 20 and 39 years of age.
I'm trying to find more reports of the accident.

Still bumping for Patty ( and Robert Stack!) and hoping one day this mystery will be solved.

I see a resemblence, but if you read the story above her picture it says: Patricia Meehan, court appointed Children Lawyer abuses the rights of children and rides the coat tails of the Children’s Aid Society.

I doubt it's her considering this Patricia Meehan is a lawyer, but stranger things have happened!!

Who do I turn it in to? I'll do some more research, but it's a very remote area of Montana that she went missing from.

Here is Patty's NamUs Profile page. Looki in the Police Information Tab or in the Contacts tab. They list a few different people that you can contact. I would start there.https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/8299/0/

Hi I was very surprised to find this discussion. its close to home I grew up living next to the meehan family, including patty. although my family moved when i was 12 her dad Tom was a great guy who helped form my future life. I grew up without a dad, my parents split when i was one week old.... Tom taught me some about baseball and his efforts rebuilding a old console tv for their basement, it ended up with a tilted picture. this fascinated me as a kid, and i took electronics, and found out what caused the tilt.. years later i saw Tom and explained it to him....

I am very glad the last time i saw him i thanked him for all he did when i was a kid... He truly helped make me what I am today

Sadly I must report both of her parents have now died. her dad just last july.

Is that episode of unsolved mysteries available for purchase anywhere? theres something very creepy about seeing the home you grew up next to on unsolved mysteries. as i remember it the exterior shot included a bit of our old home..

In any case patty still has a brother and 2 sisters alive. timmy shawnie and Ailene I did my first holy communion day with shawnie..

she owns a hair salon near where we all grew up....

I will stop and see her at her salon, was planning on that since i only heard sometime after of her dads death....

I am reluctant to bring up patty since when i mentioned her to her dad i could see it caused him great pain.

in any case timmy lives in orlando florida, shawniee in sheraden pa and her sister moved out west somewhere

for many years i had dreams of bumping into patty and getting her back home

If posters here want to send shawnee a message post it here and i will give it to her the next time i see her, provided you dont think it will upset her too much....

Hi I was very surprised to find this discussion. its close to home I grew up living next to the meehan family, including patty. although my family moved when i was 12 her dad Tom was a great guy who helped form my future life. I grew up without a dad, my parents split when i was one week old.... Tom taught me some about baseball and his efforts rebuilding a old console tv for their basement, it ended up with a tilted picture. this fascinated me as a kid, and i took electronics, and found out what caused the tilt.. years later i saw Tom and explained it to him....

I am very glad the last time i saw him i thanked him for all he did when i was a kid... He truly helped make me what I am today

Is that episode of unsolved mysteries available for purchase anywhere? theres something very creepy about seeing the home you grew up next to on unsolved mysteries. as i remember it the exterior shot included a bit of our old home..

In any case patty still has a brother and 2 sisters alive. timmy shawnie and Ailene I did my first holy communion day with shawnie..

I will stop and see her at her salon, was planning on that since i only heard sometime after of her dads death....

I am reluctant to bring up patty since when i mentioned her to her dad i could see it caused him great pain.

in any case timmy lives in orlando florida, shawniee in sheraden pa and her sister moved out west somewhere

If posters here want to send shawnee a message post it here and i will give it to her the next time i see her, provided you dont think it will upset her too much....

Bob,

I learned about Patty through Unsolved Mysteries. Something about her going missing just drew me in... I'm originally from the Upper Midwest.

I know the episode featuring Patty on Unsolved Mysteries is on YouTube... Just search for Patty Meehan.

That is so unfortunate about her parents. Give Shawnee my best... I don't know her or the family, but maybe it will bring her comfort knowing that there are strangers out there who care about Patty and what happened to her.

Bob,

I learned about Patty through Unsolved Mysteries. Something about her going missing just drew me in... I'm originally from the Upper Midwest.

I know the episode featuring Patty on Unsolved Mysteries is on YouTube... Just search for Patty Meehan.

That is so unfortunate about her parents. Give Shawnee my best... I don't know her or the family, but maybe it will bring her comfort knowing that there are strangers out there who care about Patty and what happened to her.

M86,

Did you ever contact any of the Police Contacts listed on Patty' NamUs page about the Patty Meehan from Canada? It's worth a shot...

Welcome to WS, so nice to have some input from an insider!

Old orig.newspaper clip with pic. of Patty and her parent's.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...LRRAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Wm4DAAAAIBAJ&pg=2411,3680194

This is from Patty's NamUs Police Information: "Not sure if reported date is proper as files were not well kept in the office. I used NCIC entry worksheet date for date of report".

At least they're honest.

Edit: I emailed the LE contact on Patty's NamUs page. I'll post any updates.

This is from Patty's NamUs Police Information: "Not sure if reported date is proper as files were not well kept in the office. I used NCIC entry worksheet date for date of report".

At least they're honest.

Edit: I emailed the LE contact on Patty's NamUs page. I'll post any updates.

Thanks so much, it is nice to see others on this lonely thread!
Where are you Patty? it would be so interesting to know what became of you and if maybe, just maybe you are living in plain sight!

I received a VERY quick response to my email (within a few hours in the middle of the night) from the McCone County Sheriff's office. They stated that "they are aware of this individual".

dotr, I first learned about Patty on Unsolved Mysteries and took interest in it because I grew up in the Upper Midwest. That, and her case reminds me so much of Maura Murray.
Websleuths - Maura Murray #9 (One of the many Maura Murray threads on Websleuths).
Also: Charley Project - Maura Murray

Both had a car accident, both mysteriously vanish.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bloocheez
Back