Found Deceased MT - Selina (Selena) Not Afraid, 16, I-90 rest area between Billings & Hardin, 1 Jan 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
During Friday night's basketball game against Shepherd, both teams and fans came together for a group photo. Shepherd Fillies Basketball shared a photo of the moment on its Facebook page.
upload_2020-1-13_11-52-20.jpeg

"Some days in a gym are harder than others. Last night in Hardin was one of those nights. Not because of the final score, but because of the circumstances surrounding the game. Salena Not Afraid has been missing since January first. Witnessing the concern of the Hardin community first hand was heartbreaking. Praying for her safe return and peace for her family!" the team said in the post.

Players from both the boys and girls Hardin basketball teams wore shirts that said "Hope 4 Sal," Selena's nickname. Some had a red handprint painted over their mouths, a symbol of the Missing Murdered Indigenous Women campaign.
Shepherd, Hardin basketball teams unite for missing teenager

Search and rescue teams with dogs widened the search area by two or three miles Saturday in the search for 16-year-old Selina Not Afraid, according to Big Horn County Sheriff Pete Big Hair.

Big Hair said multiple search and rescue teams have been helping in the search. He mentioned teams from Bozeman and Red Lodge helping out.

People were asked to stay out of the areas surrounding the rest stop so the dogs could work.

Big Hair said a community member donated money to pay for the search and rescue teams to stay longer. The teams had originally searched the area on Jan. 8.
Teams near Hardin widen the radius in search for Selina Not Afraid

We have to look,” Horn told Heavy.com. “We don’t have these cops walking in the ditch. Regular people are looking.”

“We didn’t feel the heaviness,” Horn told Heavy.com. “We didn’t feel her. We still feel she’s alive.”

Horn said Selena is “one of the most positive, loving girls you’d ever come around.”

Horn told KKTV that the ordeal has started to take a toll on Selena’s family.

“Her mom can’t sleep enclosed,” Horn told the television station. “She’s sleeping in her car. She won’t leave her car. She won’t go home. She wants to be able to look and that’s the worst thing for a family to do.”
Family says Montana teen missing since New Year’s Day may have been abducted: Report

upload_2020-1-13_12-3-0.jpeg
The FBI is asking anyone with information to notify the Montana Analysis and Technical Information Center at (406) 444-1330 or dojintel@mt.gov.

FBI Asking for Help Finding Missing 16-Year-Old Montana Girl

We really need to teach our kids that it's not okay to leave a friend behind. No way. And if your friends leave you behind, then they're not your friends because, clearly, they didn't care enough about you. I have had way too many crazy nights, everyone was drunk, but we always made sure that we left together, and that NOBODY was being left behind. It's hard to keep track of each other when we're flirting with cute boys, when we go outside to smoke and to make out. But Jesus Christ, just wait for your friend, go outside to check every so often, text your friend to make sure they are okay and are paying attention to their phone in case something happens.
This case really breaks my heart, I just hope that Selena is found safe and gets to come home to her mommy and to her friends. I can't imagine how much her mom must be suffering right now, that poor lady.

And why did the search take over a week to get started? She has been missing since January 1? What has been happening since then? They get the FBI involved after almost a week?
The search started the day she went missing I believe around 3 hrs after last seen. The family and other searchers have been staying at the rest stop and searching non stop. They have also used dogs, drones, helicopters and thermal imaging. Found nothing unfortunately.

agree. when i read the stories about this i was impressed with the lack of care and concern for this young woman by those she was with, i'm guessing , the "adults" of the group. it's also just very strange that supposedly within 15 to 30 mins before the next group arrived the woman seemingly disappeared.

I think, by the search area, that the call for her family to come get her did not happen until AT LEAST after the van had passed mile marker 491 which is ten full miles from the rest stop. It is a minimum of 21 miles to drive from Hardin past the rest stop in the westbound lanes, find a place to make a U-turn and return in the eastbound lanes to where Selena was supposed to be. In my opinion, it was well over a half hour before family was able to see that she was missing, or the earliest at 2:30-ish. The fact that a full search was well underway before 5:00 pm is attributable to her caring family and loyal friends. IMO

Some screencaps on fb broke down the snapchat video. It shows she was NOT at the rest area the family and friends have been searching and camped at.

This is truly alarming. Depending on where the adults really left her, she could be long perished from the elements alone if she wasn't injured.

Sheriff Pete Big Hair said he doubted the stories because they were "off" and that he was looking at other places. Someone needs to go lean on these adults.

Last edited:
Bringing forward her social media. Please note her name is spelled Selena (the thread title is incorrect)

Selena Not Afraid-Missing-DreamTeamCaseDiscussions™️
https://www.facebook.com/selena.notafraid?ref=br_rs

You will notice the man pictured in her last post is tagged, but the tag is broken because he unfriended her. You can find him via people search (look for the one in Hardin) and notice where it says he lives. Can't discuss, just a probable lead I am sure the FBI is on to it.

idk if this has been said since you posted but Preston Bell was her brother and he was killed in an officer involved shooting.

Some screencaps on fb broke down the snapchat video. It shows she was NOT at the rest area the family and friends have been searching and camped at.

This is truly alarming. Depending on where the adults really left her, she could be long perished from the elements alone if she wasn't injured.

Sheriff Pete Big Hair said he doubted the stories because they were "off" and that he was looking at other places. Someone needs to go lean on these adults.
Holy smokes! That really sucks. All that wasted manpower and vital time, the difference between life and death because of secrets and lies. JMO

I am truly skeptical of this conclusion, which was posted by a well meaning friend of the family. Here's why:
The friend noted that the pavement marking lines at the rest area are yellow, and the pavement marking line shown in the window behind Selena is white. At that rest area, all of the lines delineating parking are yellow, but the exterior borders of the paved area are white. The parking away from the sidewalk is diagonal with the driver's side of a vehicle to the northeast, so a line out a side window should be the white perimeter line.
The friend noted a difference in the "water fountain" in the background viewed through the passenger side door. That view would be looking southwest, which would likely show the covered eating area structure to the east of the restrooms building.
Another person saw a trailer in the corner of the front window. I can't see it myself.
IMO
The aerial view of Fly Creek Rest Area is by me, via Google Earth.

Attachments

• Fly Creek Rest Area.jpg
    Fly Creek Rest Area.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
“We’re not going to be just a file in the cabinet,” Selena’s aunt, Cheryl Horn, told Dateline, just as she was leaving the rest area after camping out for 13 days. “We’re going to find our girl. And when Selena is found, there are hundreds of more girls behind her waiting to be found.”

“She wouldn’t have just left like that,” Cheryl told Dateline. “We knew something was wrong.”

“We’re not going to give up searching,” Big Horn County Sheriff Lawrence Big Hair told reporters at an earlier press conference. He added that the disappearance is “beginning to look suspicious.”

Cheryl told Dateline a new executive order called “Operation Lady Justice,” signed by President Trump, is the reason they were able to leave the rest area Monday.

“Thank goodness for that bill,” Cheryl said. “We’re not done by any means, but this is a huge relief for our family. We have the FBI looking for our girl.”

“A large percentage of these missing girls are indigenous,” Cheryl said. “But this is not just an indigenous problem, this is a human problem. And right now, I have a voice. You have a voice. Those who are missing do not have a voice and we need to be that voice for them.”

According to Selena’s Facebook page, she shared a photo highlighting the missing and murdered indigenous women issue in 2018 when her own sister, Tristen Gray, was killed. It was one of many tragedies that her family has been through. Selena also lost her twin sister and brother in tragic circumstances.

“We see their faces on missing posters all the time on social media,” Cheryl said. “But if we keep scrolling, we’re not giving them a voice. We’re staying silent.”

Cheryl, who lives on the Fort Belknap reservation in a different part of Montana, said Monday they are going back to Billings to continue the search on the ground as well as through social media, including using the hashtag #HopeForSal. Cheryl said "Sal" is one of many nicknames for the teen.

“We follow up on every tip and lead that comes to our inbox and phone. Every clue. Every tip,” Cheryl said. “And we still can use people on the ground. Everyone on the reservation and neighboring areas have been so wonderful about searching their own backyards, the farmland near them, wells, empty silos. The area is so vast that we need everyone’s eyes peeled.”

“We're just encouraging everybody, ‘Don't give up, because we’re going to find our girl,’” Cheryl said. “But when we do, remember, there's more than Selena missing. There's a lot of people here, they're somewhere. And they all want to be found. All of them."
Community comes together to search for Selena Shelley Faye Not Afraid missing from Montana rest area since New Year’s Day

“We’re not going to be just a file in the cabinet,” Selena’s aunt, Cheryl Horn, told Dateline, just as she was leaving the rest area after camping out for 13 days. “We’re going to find our girl. And when Selena is found, there are hundreds of more girls behind her waiting to be found.”

“She wouldn’t have just left like that,” Cheryl told Dateline. “We knew something was wrong.”

“We’re not going to give up searching,” Big Horn County Sheriff Lawrence Big Hair told reporters at an earlier press conference. He added that the disappearance is “beginning to look suspicious.”

Cheryl told Dateline a new executive order called “Operation Lady Justice,” signed by President Trump, is the reason they were able to leave the rest area Monday.

“Thank goodness for that bill,” Cheryl said. “We’re not done by any means, but this is a huge relief for our family. We have the FBI looking for our girl.”

“A large percentage of these missing girls are indigenous,” Cheryl said. “But this is not just an indigenous problem, this is a human problem. And right now, I have a voice. You have a voice. Those who are missing do not have a voice and we need to be that voice for them.”

According to Selena’s Facebook page, she shared a photo highlighting the missing and murdered indigenous women issue in 2018 when her own sister, Tristen Gray, was killed. It was one of many tragedies that her family has been through. Selena also lost her twin sister and brother in tragic circumstances.

“We see their faces on missing posters all the time on social media,” Cheryl said. “But if we keep scrolling, we’re not giving them a voice. We’re staying silent.”

Cheryl, who lives on the Fort Belknap reservation in a different part of Montana, said Monday they are going back to Billings to continue the search on the ground as well as through social media, including using the hashtag #HopeForSal. Cheryl said "Sal" is one of many nicknames for the teen.

“We follow up on every tip and lead that comes to our inbox and phone. Every clue. Every tip,” Cheryl said. “And we still can use people on the ground. Everyone on the reservation and neighboring areas have been so wonderful about searching their own backyards, the farmland near them, wells, empty silos. The area is so vast that we need everyone’s eyes peeled.”

“We're just encouraging everybody, ‘Don't give up, because we’re going to find our girl,’” Cheryl said. “But when we do, remember, there's more than Selena missing. There's a lot of people here, they're somewhere. And they all want to be found. All of them."
Community comes together to search for Selena Shelley Faye Not Afraid missing from Montana rest area since New Year’s Day
From LE:

Big Horn County Undersheriff Eric Winburn told Dateline they are still searching for Selena and there were no new updates that he could comment on.

I am truly skeptical of this conclusion, which was posted by a well meaning friend of the family. Here's why:
The friend noted that the pavement marking lines at the rest area are yellow, and the pavement marking line shown in the window behind Selena is white. At that rest area, all of the lines delineating parking are yellow, but the exterior borders of the paved area are white. The parking away from the sidewalk is diagonal with the driver's side of a vehicle to the northeast, so a line out a side window should be the white perimeter line.
The friend noted a difference in the "water fountain" in the background viewed through the passenger side door. That view would be looking southwest, which would likely show the covered eating area structure to the east of the restrooms building.
Another person saw a trailer in the corner of the front window. I can't see it myself.

My opinion is something happened to her on accident and they're covering up for it.

Tonielle Shoulderblade and her team were running today for:

#HennyStrong
#Hope4Sal
#NoMoreStolenSisters

in the 24th annual 400 mile Fort Robinson Breakout Spiritual Run from Fort Robinson, Nebraska to Busby, Montana. She was wearing red, which calls the attention of both those alive and the spirit ancestors.
A report on the recent funeral of Henny, with comments by Tonielle from Montana Public Radio, is also linked.
https://www.yellowbirdlifeways.org/fortrobinsonrun
Tonielle Shoulder Blade | MTPR

My opinion is that Selina had too much alcohol and/or drugs and did not make it through the night, and the people responsible did not want to face the music. So they just dumped her somewhere. The people in the van may be close friends or relatives with the people who had the party. So they are covering for the party hosts.

IMO
The aerial view of Fly Creek Rest Area is by me, via Google Earth.

I agree and wouldn't be surprised if the snap chat is from Billings and not the highway rest stop area where Selena was allegedly last seen.

I agree and wouldn't be surprised if the snap chat is from Billings and not the highway rest stop area where Selena was allegedly last seen.

Which is exactly the problem, over and over. The story changes, several times over.

What good is the FBI here? What usually happens, is that they nail down the inconsistencies, and are accused of not doing anything to "help" find the missing person. Or worse yet, not caring about native women.

Who didn't care about Selena?

I hate thinking this.....but I don’t think the elements got her.

This is so stinking sad!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseCherami
Back