Found Deceased MT - Selina (Selena) Not Afraid, 16, I-90 rest area between Billings & Hardin, 1 Jan 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I agree and wouldn't be surprised if the snap chat is from Billings and not the highway rest stop area where Selena was allegedly last seen.
The opening few seconds appear to me to be inside a popular Billings night spot. The next segment, in broad daylight, is in the same Central-Terry neighborhood as the party address cited by LE. The exact location in this segment is on the route I drove to work for many years. IMO

Family, volunteers put faith in FBI as search for Hardin girl hits day 13
(subscription site)
Today's news:
As temperatures dipped below freezing Monday, family and volunteers packed up their temporary search command at the rest stop where Selena Not Afraid was last seen. Thirteen days after she was last sighted, the family said they would put faith in the FBI.

“We continued to search all weekend. We never quit,” said Selena’s auntie, Cheryl Horn. “But yesterday we got a good briefing (from law enforcement). … We got to sit and answer questions and we were reassured that they are here. The FBI are here.”
Horn, who has been at the rest stop continuously for almost two weeks, said the family felt like it was time to pack up.

She, and other family members, have been working to bring awareness to light up social media with Selena’s flyers and keep the pressure on investigators, she said.
Horn said volunteers and searchers are still on standby, if and when the FBI calls for more ground searchers.

“We’re still going to need volunteer searchers, but we’re waiting for designated areas (by the FBI) for us to search now,” Horn said.

Until then, time spent at home would be used to continue spreading awareness about Selena and other missing people in Montana, Horn said.

"You might see Selena, but there are a bunch of girls and boys standing right behind Selena that we can’t see. And they're slowing peeking out," she said.

But volunteers and family who have scarcely left the rest stop since Selena went missing earned some time off, she said.

"We’re not officially done, our crew, just doing a little bit of self-care. I told them to go home, or get a motel room. Rest," Horn said.

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-13_22-49-1.png
    upload_2020-1-13_22-49-1.png
    73 bytes · Views: 12
It seems that Selena’s aunt has been Avery strong advocate for Selena and missing tribal girls as well. She’s the type of voice these girls need and many more across the tribal nations and sovereigns need to join her and demand the women, their women, daughters, children be safe within their own community. It sounds like within the tribe, these crimes are being committed. They need to get some good strong people within their own nation and work towards not accepting crimes against woman as a given. IMMHO

Please let's not parent-blame.

It sounds like more than one person knows what happened to her. Someone please have a conscience and do the right thing. You can anonymously let the police know where to find her.
I'm not blaming anyone. Just sad that this young girl was in such a vulnerable position. :(

For some reason, I'm leaning towards a situation with a boy/guy/man sexually assaulted her and she was killed so she wouldn't talk, versus an accidental drug overdose or an alcohol poisoning situation. I have no fundaments for this whatsoever, that's just how it feels to me. Regardless of what happened or didn't happen, I just really want Selena to be found, preferably alive.

Selena Shelley Faye Not Afraid, 16, lives with her mother on the Crow reservation near Billings, was last seen on New Year’s Day at the eastbound Interstate 90 rest area between Billings and Hardin, Montana. Family members told Dateline she was meeting another friend from the reservation when they last spoke to her.

According to Big Horn County Sheriff’s officials, Selena was among six people driving from Billings to Hardin when their car broke down. It eventually started again and four people left Selena and her friend at the rest stop. The driver of the vehicle called a relative to pick up the two girls. When the relative arrived, the friend was still there. She said Selena had walked off into a nearby field. Family members were worried because they said this wasn’t like her and she was insufficiently dressed for low temperatures that had dipped below freezing.

The BOLO alert states that Selena’s direction of travel is unknown, though she may be in Montana’s Big Horn, Yellowstone, Rosebud or Treasure Counties.

Community comes together to search for Selena Shelley Faye Not Afraid missing from Montana rest area since New Year’s Day

The Montana/Dakotas BLM sent law enforcement and fire personnel to the Hardin area to assist in the search, according to a Facebook post.
Bureau of Land Management - Montana/Dakotas
The BLM is working closely with the Bureau of Indian Affairs, which is leading the investigation.

Hardin High staff have been helping students by "validating their feelings and fears," Hardin High Counselor Laura Soundheim said Tuesday via email.

Staff are encouraging students to keep Not Afraid on the top of the public's and law enforcement's minds by saying her name.
BLM assisting in search for missing Hardin teen Selena Not Afraid

BLM Montana/Dakotas on Twitter
BLM MTDAKs Law Enforcement and Fire personnel are assisting in the search of a 16 yo girl missing in south central MT. Crow Tribal Member Selena Not Afraid has been missing since Jan 1. The BLM is working closely with the BIA who is leading this investigation. (BLM Photos)
EOR31H4XUAMg87y.jpg
EOR31ITXsAIcsFP.jpg

4:38 PM - 14 Jan 2020

Family, volunteers put faith in FBI as search for Hardin girl hits day 13

It sounds like things are sort of wrapping up, the family is going home. They have been searching, not coming up with anything.

I think that there is a lot missing from this story.

The family did not go home, but rather is in Billings and working directly with all of the various LE and government bureaus that are involved. People returning to Billings past the rest stop yesterday reported seeing a massive FBI presence in including lots of search equipment and crack FBI dog teams (the earlier dogs were a State of Montana team). It seems like they are doing this "by the book" and leaving nothing undone. The mood on the street here is that people are well aware of what has happened, and want Selena found. Most are praying, as well. JMO

Last edited:
The opening few seconds appear to me to be inside a popular Billings night spot. The next segment, in broad daylight, is in the same Central-Terry neighborhood as the party address cited by LE. The exact location in this segment is on the route I drove to work for many years. IMO
Please report your observations to the FBI. This investigation needs any and every tip and bit of reconnaissance available.

Please report your observations to the FBI. This investigation needs any and every tip and bit of reconnaissance available.
The Billings Police Department and the Yellowstone County Sheriff's Department have been actively investigating in Billings. There is a regional FBI sub-office here that they work with every day, and this city is the headquarters for the U.S. Marshall's Office for the area. The spots I identified are NOT remote. As I tried to say in an earlier post, the original press interviews given by the Big Horn County Sheriff and his information officer confirm my observations. It's not new to LE. IMO

The Billings Police Department and the Yellowstone County Sheriff's Department have been actively investigating in Billings. There is a regional FBI sub-office here that they work with every day, and this city is the headquarters for the U.S. Marshall's Office for the area. The spots I identified are NOT remote. As I tried to say in an earlier post, the original press interviews given by the Big Horn County Sheriff and his information officer confirm my observations. It's not new to LE. IMO
I was raised outside of Billings and have spent a lot of time working on the Crow and Northern Cheyenne Reservations so am very familiar with law enforcement work in the area. The thing that stood out about your post is the reference to ‘inside a Billings night spot.’ I’ve been following Selena’s family’s efforts closely and their request for others to speak out if they have ANY info echoes loudly. Law enforcement may very well be familiar with the spots in question but may not be focusing there. No harm in calling; nothing to lose. Thanks!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop
Back