Found Deceased MT - Selina (Selena) Not Afraid, 16, I-90 rest area between Billings & Hardin, 1 Jan 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It sounds to me like the 2 girls were kidnapped and drugged by the 'friends' ---taken to the closed rest stop and something bad happened to Salina, and she was disposed of. They left the friend behind as cover for their story. JMO

Argh, this story makes NO sense. LE needs to question each person in that car individually. Because she’s Native American, I fear that she will simply be forgotten. And that is not right.

No, the problem is that when the FBI goes to the rez to investigate, no one says anything. Even when they know what happened and who the girls were with.

It is very frustrating.

The family believes that Not Afraid has moved from the area and says the search also includes South Dakota and Wyoming.

Not Afraid was at a New Year's Eve Party on Miles Avenue in Billings and that is where the ride back to Hardin started.

Big Hair said when the family first arrived at the rest area on Wednesday, it saw an old green station wagon, which drove away, with Wyoming license plates.

Family asking for help in search for missing Hardin girl

I fully support the family's right to investigate and give out information. But I think they may be muddying the waters with so many family and friends speaking out with information. That article at Heavy.com is filled with conflicting information. Two boys were fist fighting, but the video is not accessible. A blue car was seen. Now a green station wagon was spotted. A girl saw her running to the woods. But the girl can't remember anything. She was drunk. But she doesn't drink. A girl had no shoes on but also had scratches like she had been running in the woods. Barefoot? Really? I sort of doubt that? And it sounds like we don't even know why she was barefoot or why she was hiding. It seems that every bit of information cannot be relied upon as a solid fact. The only facts are that a girl is missing and that something seems fishy. I've never heard of a stranger case. And I think that's because a lot of the details of this one have been fabricated. The simplest answer is probably the right answer. I'm guessing no mechanical problems with the car. I'm guessing that Saline never made it to that rest area. Whatever happened took place somewhere else, and the people involved don't want anyone to know what happened nor where it took place.

Both Big Horn County detectives and the Billings Police Department are investigating the circumstances of Selena's disappearance, which Sheriff Big Hair said Friday were "beginning to look suspicious." Detectives are still working to interview those who may have seen her last and retrace her steps in Billings, he said.

Big Hair said Saturday that several people reported seeing Selena in different areas in Billings. Detectives are following up with witnesses and businesses to see if she can be found on security surveillance footage.

Search expands for missing Hardin girl

This is from Jan 3 - I missed this bit about the search near exits 488 and 491.

Search continues for missing Montana teen
“There’s about two or three different stories from these people in the vehicle,” Big Hair said. “They’re not all in one story. There’s different stories from a couple of them. We kind of don’t know if they’re telling the truth or not. So that’s why we want to verify.”

Sheriff Big Hair says the search moved to also include the Toluca off-ramp, exit 488, and exit 491, which he called the washout - two locations where those involved said the van stalled.

The family believes that Not Afraid has moved from the area and says the search also includes South Dakota and Wyoming.

Not Afraid was at a New Year's Eve Party on Miles Avenue in Billings and that is where the ride back to Hardin started.

Big Hair said when the family first arrived at the rest area on Wednesday, it saw an old green station wagon, which drove away, with Wyoming license plates.

Family asking for help in search for missing Hardin girl

Yes, I think so too. Either she didn't make it to the restroom and was left behind earlier down the road or somebody took her away from the restroom. If they didn't find her by now it's the only logical conclusion. Under the circumstances she would have become overwhelmed by the cold, not dressed for the weather, maybe went into unconsciousness due to alcohol (that makes you even colder) or she was drugged up. She would still be in the area.

I fully support the family's right to investigate and give out information. But I think they may be muddying the waters with so many family and friends speaking out with information. That article at Heavy.com is filled with conflicting information. Two boys were fist fighting, but the video is not accessible. A blue car was seen. Now a green station wagon was spotted. A girl saw her running to the woods. But the girl can't remember anything. She was drunk. But she doesn't drink. A girl had no shoes on but also had scratches like she had been running in the woods. Barefoot? Really? I sort of doubt that? And it sounds like we don't even know why she was barefoot or why she was hiding. It seems that every bit of information cannot be relied upon as a solid fact. The only facts are that a girl is missing and that something seems fishy. I've never heard of a stranger case. And I think that's because a lot of the details of this one have been fabricated. The simplest answer is probably the right answer. I'm guessing no mechanical problems with the car. I'm guessing that Saline never made it to that rest area. Whatever happened took place somewhere else, and the people involved don't want anyone to know what happened nor where it took place.

Yes, I agree, the information is clouded and messed up from the beginning...by media especially. In one way it's very good this case gets the attention it deserves, but we all should stay sharp about what is published or said on SM.

I don't need people to bump or to say following...sorry...If you want to follow totally oke...please read Tos.

I grew up in Montana--not as familiar with this area as with others, but I've driven some of the roads. don't know whether any of the media reports have mentioned that there are other roads in the area. Most of them are pretty small, giving access to fields and ranches, but it's only a couple of miles to Fly Creek Road and Spring Creek Road is just across the highway on the westbound side. (I checked the names on the map--not just going from memory). And though it's a sparsely populated area, there are ranches where she might have found help and sheds for feed storage or animal shelter where she might have been able to find shelter. And as @mickey2942 pointed out, if somebody did help her, there's little likelihood they would have told authorities about it. Especially if she asked them not to.

But I'm afraid she didn't make it far enough to seek help :(

Are there cameras at this “rest stop”? Hopefully LE have accessed. Who’s party? Did they all attend the party together, if not how did they hook up and when? What were her plans to go home originally? This other female either knows more than she’s saying or was possibly drugged (too). You don’t leave anyone behind bc you think the vehicle is gonna stall again. IMO Something stinks. MOO

Noting:
  • Investigators with the Bighorn Co MT Sheriff's Dept are treating her disappearance as suspicious.
  • Not Afraid is said to have been traveling eastbound along I-90 between Billings and Hardin with a group of adult friends. The adults told investigators that their van broke down at a rest stop near mile marker 474, and Not Afraid walked into a nearby field. But investigators say that story isn't adding up.
  • A search by volunteers, investigators from multiple agencies, detection dogs and a thermal drone hasn't turned up any trace of Not Afraid within a five-mile area surrounding the rest stop.
  • LE has since extended their search to include Billings and parts of Wyoming and South Dakota.
  • CH said family members twice spotted a light green Subaru station wagon with Wyoming plates at the rest stop on the day Not Afraid went missing, and that investigators believe the driver of that vehicle may have something to do with her niece's disappearance.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maia1919
Back