My view has done a complete 180

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Maybe your friend should join websleuths so that you don't have to go back and forth to get info and I can discuss the case with her directly? This passing info back and forth is kinda a bore.

Maybe your friend should join websleuths so that you don't have to go back and forth to get info and I can discuss the case with her directly? This passing info back and forth is kinda a bore.

My friend is male, and you could join the Blackboard where he posts frequently.

My friend is male, and you could join the Blackboard where he posts frequently.

No thanks. I'm a member of Websleuths, and that's where I post. But if you're going to keep bringing someone else's posts from whatever this blackboard site is over to WS, then it would be easier if the person whose posts you copy/paste just signed up here.

This was the first time I used his words in one of my posts. So, saying I "keep bringing someone else's posts from whatever this blackboard site is" simply is not true. He is a member of several discussion boards concerning this case, but I don't believe he is interested in joining this one.

The Blackboard site is one of many discussion boards that is dedicated to the West Memphis Three case. The goal of the board is to seek justice for the wrongfully-convicted as well as the three little boys who were killed. Anyone who wants to civilly discuss the case is welcomed there. However, unlike the hoax (wm3hoax.downonthefarm.org), name-calling and obnoxious posts will get you banned.

If this is the only crime board on which you post, please be aware that, due to the passion this case creates in people, there are a plethora of discussion boards (on both sides of the issue) and sites of other types about this case on the net. Even lurking on some of these sites will give you insight into the case. There is more to this case than what is available on Callahan's.

Oh my dear Compassionate Reader,I love your posts. They are very informative. I hate to see these snide comments come your way.
IMO,if this was a present-day case(rather than 1993) then I do not believe these three would ever be convicted of anything in a court of law.
Could you imagine turning on your tv and hearing them talk of the black clothes,devil worshipping,Metallica(Oh,no! Not Metallica!!!)??
You see,I am from a small town...a very small town in AL. Small towns are bad enough,but a small town in 1993,for me,was almost unbearable.
These 3 young men never stood the chance to a fair trial. Now they do though. I guess that angers some people. I see some of that on here.

Auburn,

A lot of supporters feel that the nons are getting a bit desperate. That always leads to snide comments. Never fear, I've dealt with much worse. That's why, however, I won't post on the Hoax board. Over there, they delight in pillorying supporters. Thank goodness that the mods here won't allow that type of posting. People like that are banned here; it's the main reason that I continue to post here. Although I can generally hold my own with obnoxious comments and vicious attacks, I don't relish in them. So, I avoid them as much as possible. Thanks for the compliment, though. Please join us on the Blackboard for a more in depth discussion of this case.

www.wm3blackboard.com

ETA: And I totally agree with you about small towns. They played a huge part IMO in the convictions of the three young men. I was raised in one, so I know, as you do, just how narrow-minded they can be.

Actually this has nothing to do with black clothes, Metallica, and pure Satanism, but has everything to do with mental disorders, threats of violence, and Satanic dabbling. Just why do you think Echols is so enamored of Marilyn Manson?

Manson is an ordained high priest in LeVey's Church of Satan. Damien Echols hasn't changed one iota. He's the same mentally deranged person he was in 1993. Oh he's sure gotten a heck of a lot smarter about playing his cards right and Jason too, but they are right where they belong along with Jessie. Oh, and Jessie's sister is in prison for murder as well.

Am I worried? Not one iota. I expect Judge Laser will uphold the sentences, and the US Supreme Court will refuse to look at the case, especially since an evidentiary hearing will have been held by that point.

Some people just can't see the forest for the trees.

Sure, there are some innocents on death row, but Damien Echols isn't one of them.
JMO.

Actually this has nothing to do with black clothes, Metallica, and pure Satanism, but has everything to do with mental disorders, threats of violence, and Satanic dabbling. Just why do you think Echols is so enamored of Marilyn Manson?

Manson is an ordained high priest in LeVey's Church of Satan. Damien Echols hasn't changed one iota. He's the same mentally deranged person he was in 1993. Oh he's sure gotten a heck of a lot smarter about playing his cards right and Jason too, but they are right where they belong along with Jessie. Oh, and Jessie's sister is in prison for murder as well.

Am I worried? Not one iota. I expect Judge Laser will uphold the sentences, and the US Supreme Court will refuse to look at the case, especially since an evidentiary hearing will have been held by that point.

Sure, there are some innocents on death row, but Damien Echols isn't one of them.
JMO.

I heard that Damien is on his very last appeal. This has gone on for FAR too long. I just hope that Damien turns to God before he goes.

The WM3 have already been found guilty so now they will have to prove their innocence. I can't even see them either:

A. Getting a new trial or B. getting released from prison unless there is some major earth shattering evidence that proofs they did not commit this crime.

That's what I Don't get about this case:

Why confess if you DID NOT commit a murder? There is a very big reason why all of their appeals, every single one of them have been denied for the last 18 years.

And I don't think it's to save face for the WM Police Department.

If they have been stuck in prison for the last 18 years than what in the world makes D, J & J think that they will be getting out anytime soon.

esp. if they claim to be so innocent. Obviously, they ain't so innocent.

I also think this is the states way of saying " This is your last chance boys".

I agree iluvmua. This evidentiary hearing is with all probabiltiy his last appeal.

As dearly as supporters would like to see this as an evidentiary hearing to introduce Terry Hobbs culpability once again. That's not going to happen. Terry Hobbs is not a suspect, and never was. This case is about Echols, Baldwin, and Misskelly, not Hobbs. The WM3 are the focus, and whether the defense can present enough evidence for the court to decide a new trial is in order.
I wonder what new evidence the state may present to preclude that from happening? Remains to be seen.

And before some supporter comes on here to tell me Damien is a Buddhist, my answer is Damien is still dabbling, mixing and matching just as he was in 1993. I also do know that Manson considers himself only an honorary high-priest, but I doubt that's how Damien sees it. Combine Manson, Manson's music, and satanism, and for Damien that's a winning combination. Ugh.

And here's a thought I just had. I'm really not sure Damien could even handle it if he was released into society. I think it would send him off the deep end again, given his mental status reports after his conviction.

For all his complaining prison has been somewhat curative for him so long as he remains within that structured environment.

I would not be opposed to his conviction being commuted to LWOP, mainly because I do believe he was off his rocker entirely when he and the other two committed the murders. I do not believe he was the leader. Jason is the only one with all his faculties in tact.

I agree iluvmua. This evidentiary hearing is with all probabiltiy his last appeal.

As dearly as supporters would like to see this as an evidentiary hearing to introduce Terry Hobbs culpability once again. That's not going to happen. Terry Hobbs is not a suspect, and never was. This case is about Echols, Baldwin, and Misskelly, not Hobbs. The WM3 are the focus, and whether the defense can present enough evidence for the court to decide a new trial is in order.
I wonder what new evidence the state may present to preclude that from happening? Remains to be seen.

And before some supporter comes on here to tell me Damien is a Buddhist, my answer is Damien is still dabbling, mixing and matching just as he was in 1993. I also do know that Manson considers himself only an honorary high-priest, but I doubt that's how Damien sees it. Combine Manson, Manson's music, and satanism, and for Damien that's a winning combination. Ugh.

And here's a thought I just had. I'm really not sure Damien could even handle it if he was released into society. I think it would send him off the deep end again, given his mental status reports after his conviction.

For all his complaining prison has been somewhat curative for him so long as he remains within that structured environment.

I would not be opposed to his conviction being commuted to LWOP, mainly because I do believe he was off his rocker entirely when he and the other two committed the murders. I do not believe he was the leader. Jason is the only one with all his faculties in tact.

Do you really think he'll be commuted to LWOP? since he's been on Death Row for so long.

Did Jason ever confess? I know Damien & Jessie confessed, but did Jason?

No I don't think his sentence will get commuted to LWOP. I think Damien is guilty of some malingering, but how much, I really can't say. I know he lied when he was on Larry King the first time. Claimed it was LE's idea to send him to a mental hospital. That interview has been pulled from YouTube now. Damien made a much earlier statement he got himself into the mental hospital because he figured it would be easier than jail. So then he lied to Larry King about how he wound up in the mental hospital which is why I say there's some malingering in his background.

Jason confessed to Michael Carson when they were together in juvie, and testified to that in court. Carson was given a lie detector test, and passed, and had nothing to gain because he had already been released from detention when he came forward. Carson had a record, and supporters try to say that he had something to gain from testifying, but that is incorrect.

I'd like to address the last few posts.

Again, as was proven with the Judas Priest trials way back when, a person's likes or dislikes in music cannot cause that person to become a murderer. Just because someone has mental health issues doesn't make that person a murderer. If Damien were as mentally ill as non supporters like to claim, he would not have been able to cope with prison as well as he has. In his book, Almost Home, he discusses the problems that he had when he was taken off of antidepressants cold turkey, but he stated that he's fine now. I know non supporters don't want to accept that fact, but it's true.

Damien never professed to be a Satanist. Sure he dabbled. So did my husband. Neither of those men are murderers. Technically, Damien never even joined a Wiccan coven, but, when he was a teen, he did look into it. Many of my friends did that, too, when they were teens. None of my friends or Damien is a murderer because of an interest in Wicca or any other religion. The reason Damien has appeared to get "a heck of a lot smarter about playing his cards right and Jason too" is because they are no longer teens. Teens, as I know from teaching them for 25 years, often say foolish things. Then they grow up and realize that, contrary to the old adage, words can harm. Whatever Jessie's sister did does not, and never did, control what Jessie did. Jessie did not commit murder, even if his sister may have.

I expect Judge Laser will either order a new trial or just outright free the WM3 for lack of credible evidence, which is what happened in the Tim Masters case. Before we even get to the Supreme Court, there are the lower-level Federal courts to address. At the Federal level, the jury misconduct issue can be reintroduced. But I don't think this case will go that far. I think it will be resolved with the evidentiary hearing with either an order for a new trial (which the State will refuse to pursue) or the outright freeing of the wrongfully-incarcerated men.

JMO.

Damien Echols is definitely one of the innocents on Death Row, and I believe that the upcoming hearing will go far to prove that point.

I heard that Damien is on his very last appeal. This has gone on for FAR too long. I just hope that Damien turns to God before he goes.

No, as I stated earlier, Damien is not on his last appeal. This is his last appeal at the State level. He still has all of his Federal appeals to go, but IMO, they won't be necessary because he will be exonerated (unless the State chickens out) at the State level. I do agree that this has gone on for FAR too long. No innocent person should spend over half of his life in prison.

The WM3 have already been found guilty so now they will have to prove their innocence. I can't even see them either:

A. Getting a new trial or B. getting released from prison unless there is some major earth shattering evidence that proofs they did not commit this crime.

It's true that at the evidentiary hearing the burden of proof is on the defense, and I believe that they will more than meet that burden and prove that the young men in prison are innocent. After the hearing, however, at a new trial, the burden would shift back to the State. That's the main reason, IMO, that the State is fighting so hard to prevent further testing. The State knows that, without the Satanic panic, they could never convict these young men again.

Why do you think Senator (formerly Judge) Burnett has introduced a bill in the State Senate that would allow someone to be convicted on a confession alone without any evidence? That "confession" (at least in this case) will be shredded at the hearing, and the State will be left with noting in their evidence quiver with which to proceed to trial, which is why the State will refuse to retry the case, and the WM3 will go free.

Another thing that I believe the defense will do at the hearing is provide a viable alternative suspect for the State. Whether or not the State prosecutes that suspect depends on how much pressure is put on them by the citizens. I know that I will have to wait until December to see this happen, and I'm trying to be patient. It's getting hard, though!

Why confess if you DID NOT commit a murder? There is a very big reason why all of their appeals, every single one of them have been denied for the last 18 years.

There are a veritable plethora of cases I could cite where an innocent person has confessed to a crime for any number of reasons. The most recent one that I know of is the Riley Fox murder where her father falsely confessed. When the real murderer was found, Mr. Fox was awarded a hefty settlement for his false imprisonment. Unfortunately, Arkansas doesn't convict innocent people (according to the AG), so there will not be such relief in this case.

As to the appeals, did you actually expect Burnett to reverse himself? At the ASSC, most of the time, that Court supports the verdicts of the lower courts. It's the good ol' boy system, don't cha know? The only time an evidentiary hearing is ordered is when the mountain of evidence against the original verdict is so large that nothing else can be done. Remember also, this decision was unanimous.

And I don't think it's to save face for the WM Police Department.

If they have been stuck in prison for the last 18 years than what in the world makes D, J & J think that they will be getting out anytime soon.

esp. if they claim to be so innocent. Obviously, they ain't so innocent.

I also think this is the states way of saying " This is your last chance boys".

The State's insistence on the guilt of the WM3 is not so much to save face for the WMPD, that face has had egg on it for quite some time, it's to save the careers that have been built on the back of this case. D, J, & J think they should get out because they're not guilty. Period. The State is not sending any message (except "Please don't test anything"); the message was from the Arkansas State Supreme Court, the judicial arm of the government. And their message was, "Something's not quite right here. Let's look at this again and get it right, please."

Yes, as I stated before, the burden of proof is on the defense at the hearing. However, lawyers tell me that, in addition to proving innocence, usually a viable alternative suspect is provided as additional proof of "reasonable doubt" in a murder case.

Any new evidence the State plans to provide should have been outlined in their brief, as the defense did. I didn't really see any new evidence, but December will eventually arrive. Then, we'll all have the answers we seek.

Many intelligent people cannot be happy with one religion. I know that's the case with my husband. He has been a student of religions for many years and has joined and/or attended many churches. Apparently, Damien is the same way. I just don't see how that makes Damien a murderer. His tastes in religion or music have absolutely no bearing on whether or not he is a murderer.

I believe that, with the help of his wife, Damien will be just fine. Have you seen the documentary After Innocence? It follows several prisoners who were exonerated by DNA to show what life is like for them on the outside. There are struggles, true, but with a support system in place, they seem to be doing fine. They just need a forum where they can tell their story so they can exorcise those demons.

Do you seriously believe that mental illness (which I don't believe applies to Damien, but you seem to) is best treated by imprisonment? That's truly taking things back at least a few decades. IMO, no innocent person, regardless of whatever mental health issues they might have, is helped by being falsely imprisoned, especially on Death Row.

So, you believe Jason was the leader? And you base that on what? His shy retiring nature that persists to this day? His teachers' reports of him being shy but a good boy? If Jason was the ringleader, why wasn't he the focus of the police investigation? Most followers of this case seem to see Jason as the one of the three who is the least likely of them to have committed these murders. He was still in school and doing fine. The only evidence against him was Carson's statement (which is refuted by ADC employees who where there at the time) and Jessie's statement (which any intelligent person can see is a coerced, false confession). None of the three men in prison are guilty of these murders, but Jason is certainly the least likely of the three.

I think Damien is guilty of some malingering, but how much, I really can't say. I know he lied when he was on Larry King the first time. Claimed it was LE's idea to send him to a mental hospital. That interview has been pulled from YouTube now. Damien made a much earlier statement he got himself into the mental hospital because he figured it would be easier than jail. So then he lied to Larry King about how he wound up in the mental hospital which is why I say there's some malingering in his background.

Jerry Driver and Damien's mother were responsible for his first stay in a mental hospital. Jerry Driver, being at the time a juvenile officer, was part of LE. So, Damien's statement was correct. He was not malingering. There's a very thorough account of this situation in Almost Home if you're truly interested in what happened and why and not in the media hype that has produced some pretty outlandish stories.

Jason confessed to Michael Carson when they were together in juvie, and testified to that in court. Carson was given a lie detector test, and passed, and had nothing to gain because he had already been released from detention when he came forward. Carson had a record, and supporters try to say that he had something to gain from testifying, but that is incorrect.

As I stated earlier, the ADC employees that were guarding the boys at the time said that this conversation never happened. Carson and Jason were only in the same facility for about a week, and other detainees said that Jason was always very closed mouthed and wouldn't open up to anyone that quickly. Their statement, coupled with what the employees said, certainly casts serious doubts on Carson's statements. Personally, I think he might have been after the reward. (I won't mention the Johnny Preston letter here because Preston is just another convict that Carson supposedly met later and admitted that he made up the conversation with Jason. But, two cons talking is not too much proof of anything except that people talk.)

Sorry this was so long, but I wanted to address all of the points raised.

What I wrote:

What CR wrote:
"Do you seriously believe that mental illness (which I don't believe applies to Damien, but you seem to) is best treated by imprisonment? That's truly taking things back at least a few decades. IMO, no innocent person, regardless of whatever mental health issues they might have, is helped by being falsely imprisoned, especially on Death Row."

Explain to me how you go from a particular to a generalization when the particular was what was stated? This isn't the first time what I've said has been twisted into something I did not intend.
Please refrain from twisting my statements.

If you don't think Echols is mentally ill go back and reread Glori Shettles statement. Wait no, I'll cut you some slack. Here's an abbreviated version.

"I served as an investigator for Damien Echols and his trial counsel...Although my inexperience prevented me from recognizing many of the symptoms of mental illness that I observed at the time of Mr. Echols� trial, I now understand the implications and relevance of the behaviors I observed. Since my work on Mr. Echols� case, I have investigated numerous capital cases, including mental health related claims; attended local, state, and national training seminars on investigating and presenting mitigation and other mental health related claims, and become knowledgeable about behaviors that are characteristic of mental illness. My interactions with Mr. Echols allowed me to witness his episodic loss of contact with reality; his inability to focus on trial proceedings or understand their significance; his lack of insight into the nature of his mental illness; his unpredictable and rapid mood swings, including his profound depression; his bizarre and paranoid beliefs; and his grandiose delusions....

....Mr. Echols also had grandiose and persecutory delusions that extended to his trial counsel. He believed he was an outsider to whom no one could relate. He believed he was an alien and discussed it with his mother from the time when he was a small child of only three or four. It was not an analogy; it was a concrete belief that he was from another world, another planet. He was consumed with the belief that he was not of this world and talked about it on numerous occasions.

When Mr. Echols met new people, he believed they always thought he was strange. He believed that his peers, teachers, and strangers were against him. He analyzed everything that was said to him and attributed special meaning to their words. He was especially suspicious of his trial counsel and sensed they did not like him, were afraid of him, and believed he worshipped the devil. Mr. Echols was preoccupied with his paranoia to the exclusion of knowing what was actually happening in the courtroom. He constantly scanned the audience, the cameras, witnesses, and attorneys and believed that they were looking at him in a special way, but I could clearly tell they were not even looking at him. I was unable to persuade him that others were not watching him with the intensity he believed. Mr. Echols held on to his beliefs regardless of evidence to the contrary....
...Mr. Echols also wrote me notes or letters that showed his bizarre and psychotic thinking, depression, hallucinations. "

What part of crazy do you not understand?

The man is clearly mentally ill, and remains so to this day. No he's not currently psychotic, but he is not well either, and never will be. It's clear in videos, made after Paradise Lost was released, that he still suffers from flat or blunted affect. He has periods where his behavior approaches normalcy, interludes between episodes of illness. This is severe mental illness.

Damien has been battling mental illness since childhood. Read Andy Jack Echols statement as well. http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/a_j_echols_declaration.html

In order to function as best as he possibly can, he needs structure, and a routine that doesn't change.

Now, if he is not mentally ill, then everyone was lying including his parents. Or perhaps it was that Echols had them all convinced he was mentally deranged. That would be malingering.

Some of what Ms. Shettles described is behavior I have witnessed myself in my students. It is not mental illness and it is not malingering any more than all teens tend to malinger to a certain extent. It appears to be part of the coming of age process for many teens, unfortunately. IMO, that is because so many people don't understand them and don't want to give them much credit for the good things that they do. Instead, they only dwell on their mistakes.

Much of what Ms. Shettles described could be a direct result of medication. Sad to say, but it's a fact. Many times children of poverty are unnecessarily medicated because it's what their parents think will help, and Medicaid will pay for it. Sadly, sometimes that help is for the parents instead of the child. Again, this situation is something that I have witnessed in students.

If Damien were as severely mentally ill as you imply, surely the State of Arkansas (which doesn't make mistakes - at least they don't convict innocent men, according to the AG) would not have released him from a mental hospital on at least two occasions because he would have been a threat to society and/or himself. Nevertheless, even if he were mentally ill (which I do not believe), mental illness is not punishable by death, at least not in this day and time. If he is mentally ill (which I do not believe), then he belongs in a mental hospital, not on Death Row.

Damien simply marches to the beat of a different drummer, now and certainly back in 1993. Some people have trouble accepting those who are decidedly different from the norm. Some people even label those who are different as mentally ill. The fact that some people place this label on those who are different does not make it so.

My answer, a quote from Damien.

"I think the baby stole my soul."

Yeah, Damien marches to the beat of a different drummer alright. No sane person would say that.

I do not label people who are different as having mental illness. The proof is in Damien's behavior and words even today. You must not know much about affective disorders or you would recognize him as being mentally ill.

Look how many children fall through the cracks of CPS, and wind up dead. Do you not consider that also happens in the field of mental health? If that hadn't happened, we wouldn't be here discussing this case, IMO.

That quote, without the context, is totally meaningless. When and where and under what circumstances did Damien say that? Was it shortly after his own child was born? Then it would be totally understandable. If you have children, you know that they immediately steal your soul when they are born. At least, that's how a creative person might describe it, using figurative language. If the quote was not in reference to his own child, was it made when he was still medicated? As I said, pulled out of context like that, it's hard to know what was meant, but I seriously doubt that Damien meant it literally.

Do I think it's possible that Damien is perhaps bipolar (yes, I know what affective disorders are)? Yes, and, once he's released from prison and gets on proper medication, that condition is easily controllable. I have a nephew and a brother who are bipolar, and they function fine, with medication. My husband is clinically depressed, and he functions fine, as long as he takes his medicine. Do I think it's possible that he might still exhibit a bit of paranoia? Yes, and so would any sane person who has been locked in a cage for over 17 years for a crime he didn't commit.

IMO, Damien will be just fine after he's released and given proper treatment. On Death Row, they don't even permit inmates to have a cavity filled. The only dental remedy available is extraction. Damien has chosen meditation instead of that drastic remedy, and I think that shows great courage and will. If that's an example of his "mental illness," then may I suffer, too.

Sadly, through working with teens for 25 years, I am only too familiar with the problems created by overworked CPS (Child Protective Services) workers trying to handle massive case loads with insufficient funds and insufficient time to accomplish their goals. Do I believe it can happen in mental health? Possibly. However, mental health professionals are medical professionals, unlike CPS workers. Medical professionals would not release a "mentally ill" patient into society if it was believed that he or she was a threat to anyone. That would be a violation of their oath.

From Damien's description of the hospital in Almost Home, overcrowding did not appear to be an issue. I know that, occasionally, questionable decisions are made along these lines as a result of overcrowding. While living in Houston, TX for 32 years, there was talk of this occurring from time to time. When Andrea Yates killed her children, the common thought was the hope that she'd never be released from the mental hospital. I firmly believe that the fact that Damien was released from a mental hospital at least twice is a strong indicator that he was not seriously mentally ill. Damien will be fine, with the help of his loving wife, after release. Let's just watch and see.

Anyone who doubts Damien was mentally ill in 1992-94 should read the report compiled by Dr. George Woods in 2001.

http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/gwoods.html

This report is not a hatchet job by "nons". Woods was hired by Damien's lawyers to review Damien's medical history as part of the appeals process.

Telling factoid: "Staff members [at East Arkansas Regional Mental Health Center] assisted Mr. Echols in applying for Social Security Disability Benefits through the Social Security Administration (SSA). After conducting an independent evaluation, the SSA determined that Mr. Echols was 100% disabled and was awarded full disability benefits on the basis of his mental illness." Do you know how hard it is to get full disability benefits in the United States at age 18?

I know all about Damien's "crazy checks" as I had associations with many students who received them. The words "mentally ill" tend to have a loaded connotation. As a result of that connotation, I object to their use when discussing Damien.

As I stated before, there is evidence that Damien may have suffered from bipolar disorder, as do many people in the country today, including my brother. This does not make him a murderer. Referring to Damien as "mentally ill" is an attempt to ascribe traits to him that are simply not there. He is not a raving maniac.

As the medical profession discovers more and more about mental disorders, they have also discovered that many people who suffer from mental disorders can lead full and productive lives if they take the right medication. After he is released from prison, I am quite sure that Damien's wife will see to it that he is properly medicated so that his life will be full and complete.

I took that quote from correspondence Damien had with Glori Shettles while he was in jail, awaiting trial, and during a complete psychotic break with reality. The letter or note is #23 here:
http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/img/writ_de_writings.html.

Given his state of mind, apparent in the letters, I think it would be erroneous to attribute his statement, "I think the baby stole my soul," to creative muse. I'm not saying at other times, he's not creative, though I would hardly ever expect to find his work in one of the more highly thought of literary journals, and of which Porcupine is not.

I am also aware that Theodore Roethke suffered with Bipolar 1 Disorder. One of my own creative writing professors worked with Carolyn Kizer at Sarah Lawrence, and would tell us stories he heard from her about Roethke becoming manic, and faculty having to call the police to have him removed to a hospital.

Schizophrenia seems to be at the root of Echols disorders with a mood disorder thrown in, but I don't think the mood disorder is the stronger of the two. I have known people with Schizophrenia as well as Bipolar 1, not both manifested in the same person though. Please, no one conclude that I am licensed as anything in the mental health field. I'm not.

I do believe it was a mistake for Echols lawyers to have him certified as competent, although that came in one of the later hearings. He should have been excluded from being eligible for the death penalty originally. I think he had basis there for a new trial. Now that opportunity is lost on those grounds. The original defense lawyers were inadequate for a criminal trial such as this. It really is pathetic. It is also my opinion still, that DJ &J are guilty.

To me, it is obvious that the baby he was talking about was his son. The writing was disjointed, possibly because when he was in jail awaiting trial, he was still being medicated. I agree that it wasn't just being creative, but it was a cry for help that was ignored.

IMO, the medication was part of his problem. From what he says in Almost Home, after he was taken off of the medication (when he went to Death Row), and after a period of withdrawal, he has been much better. Again, IMO, if he is bipolar, they either had him on the wrong medication or on the wrong dosage. Hopefully, when he is released, if he is still suffering from bipolar disorder, they will get the medication right.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli
Back