Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't mean to jump in and answer for Shadetree PI but when I was searching for Lonnie Henry Sr.'s obit it said on Genealogy.com that he died in Anson, NC which is about 2 hours and 20 minutes from Sumter, SC.....

MaryBeth, Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Is this what you found? Was Lonnie around 64 when he died?

Lonnie George Henry
BIRTH:
date - location, North Carolina
DEATH:
dd mm 1982 - city, Mecklenburg, North Carolina
RESIDENCE:
city, Anson, North Carolina

MaryBeth, Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Is this what you found? Was Lonnie around 64 when he died?

Lonnie George Henry
BIRTH:
date - location, North Carolina
DEATH:
dd mm 1982 - city, Mecklenburg, North Carolina
RESIDENCE:
city, Anson, North Carolina

Yes, that's it. Sorry, I guess he didn't die in Anson but that was where his residence was. It had been a while since I looked it up but I had written down his birth date, that he died in May 1982 and Anson, NC.

The Pee Dee River,
also known as the Great Pee Dee River, is a river in North Carolina and South Carolina.
It originates in the Appalachian Mountains in North Carolina, where its upper course above the mouth of the Uwharrie River is known as the Yadkin River, and it is extensively dammed for flood control and hydroelectric power.
The lower part of the river is named Pee Dee after the Native American Pee Dee tribe. The tribe or the river also give the name to the Pee Dee region of South Carolina, composed of the northeastern counties of the state.

The river is navigable up the fall line at Cheraw, South Carolina and was an important trade route from colonial time. The largest lumber company in the world existed at the turn of the 20th century near the river's mouth at Georgetown, South Carolina.

Today the river is not extensively used for navigation. It is an important source of electric power and public water supplies, as well as recreational use.
While the Pee Dee is free-flowing in South Carolina, upstream in North Carolina several dams have been constructed on it. The opening and closing of these dams causes dramatic swings in the depth of the river in South Carolina.
Some commercial fishing is done during the winter shad run, and for shrimp in the lower reaches. The river is excellent for recreational fishing and boating. There are numerous boat landings, yet most of the river is wild, with forests of tupelo, oak and gum along its shores. Herons and alligators can be seen along the way, and a lucky sighting of a bald eagle is possible.
The lower part of the river from Highway 378 to Winyah Bay has been designated a Scenic River. [1]

Hello guys, I am a newbie and have never posted before but I am obsessed with reading here @ WS. I had seen info on this couple on the Doe Network a few years back and it always amazed me that two people could be found dead together and that no one ever claimed them. It was just unbelievable to me that this could happen. That is until Saturday. I live in a small town in Upper East TN. My daughter went missing for about an hour. No big deal to some but a very very big deal to me. Thank God she was found only a short distance from my Grandmother's home where she had walked away to think. Despite everything I have taught my children about how easy it is to never been seen again...well guess she didn't think about it. She will next time! Anyhow, I called 911 at the rumor that she had gotten into a car with someone. My worst nightmare had come true and I was put on hold, told this wasn't an emergency, tranferred to the Sherriff's office, and insulted. I was told to leave the last place she was seen, drive back into town to "see about filing a report". I was asked if she had ever run away in the past. I was furious. No one was taking it seriously that my little girl was gone and the people who were to know her whereabouts at all times didn't know anything. What difference did it make if she had run away before? She hadn't but why even ask at that point? Children who run away ca meet with bad things just the same as those who are abducted. These idiot dispatchers wouldn't even send someone to me. Bet they would have if my dog had been stolen....Anyhow, now I understand how no one has claimed these forever young people. I am sure at some point someone tried to find these kids and hit brick walls over and over again...same as I would had I not been such a loud mouth who doesn't take no for an answer. Imagine if the were from another country, were known to be here visiting, never returned...imagine trying to file that missing persons report in the 70s..especially if you were not a squeeky wheel so to speak. I wish I could help with this case as it drives me nuts to think of some elderly lady begging someone to help her locate her grandchildren...God Bless this kids. I hope you guys do give them their names! God bless you!

I cannot, for the life of me, find Lonnie Henry, Sr.'s obit. But I do not recall that it was Lonnie Jr. that drowned. I may be mistaken, but I have been under the impression it was another son. Does anyone recall?

BTW - JenAmazed. Welcome and thank you for the insight. So glad everything turned out ok with your daughter.

Ok....still can't find Lonnie Senior's complete obit. But I did discover that he was living in Wadesboro, Anson County, NC when he died 5/1/82. I do believe I also just discovered that Lonnie Junior just passed away, in Wadesboro, on 9/18/08 at the age of 60. Looks like he was preceeded in death by Mom and Dad. If the snippet of Lonnie Sr.'s obit I found was the correct one, there may be other surviving children. I wasn't able to cut and paste it, but what little I found was on Greenville Online. Jr.'s mother was Ruby Brower Lang.

Ok....still can't find Lonnie Senior's complete obit. But I did discover that he was living in Wadesboro, Anson County, NC when he died 5/1/82. I do believe I also just discovered that Lonnie Junior just passed away, in Wadesboro, on 9/18/08 at the age of 60. Looks like he was preceeded in death by Mom and Dad. If the snippet of Lonnie Sr.'s obit I found was the correct one, there may be other surviving children. I wasn't able to cut and paste it, but what little I found was on Greenville Online. Jr.'s mother was Ruby Brower Lang.

Fairy1, I've never been able to find Lonnie Sr. Obit. I only found out his approximate date of death on genealogy.com and also NewsLibrary.com. I've wondered about Lonnie Jr. because I've heard for the past couple years that he may have died or he may still be alive. I also couldn't find out who Lonnie Sr was married to on genealogy.com. But that age would probably fit with Lonnie Jr., making him 28 years old in 1976.

I'm going to check out the Greenville online. Thanks for letting us know about Lonnie Jr.

Hello guys, I am a newbie and have never posted before but I am obsessed with reading here @ WS. I had seen info on this couple on the Doe Network a few years back and it always amazed me that two people could be found dead together and that no one ever claimed them. It was just unbelievable to me that this could happen. That is until Saturday. I live in a small town in Upper East TN. My daughter went missing for about an hour. No big deal to some but a very very big deal to me. Thank God she was found only a short distance from my Grandmother's home where she had walked away to think. Despite everything I have taught my children about how easy it is to never been seen again...well guess she didn't think about it. She will next time! Anyhow, I called 911 at the rumor that she had gotten into a car with someone. My worst nightmare had come true and I was put on hold, told this wasn't an emergency, tranferred to the Sherriff's office, and insulted. I was told to leave the last place she was seen, drive back into town to "see about filing a report". I was asked if she had ever run away in the past. I was furious. No one was taking it seriously that my little girl was gone and the people who were to know her whereabouts at all times didn't know anything. What difference did it make if she had run away before? She hadn't but why even ask at that point? Children who run away can meet with bad things just the same as those who are abducted. These idiot dispatchers wouldn't even send someone to me. Bet they would have if my dog had been stolen....Anyhow, now I understand how no one has claimed these forever young people. I am sure at some point someone tried to find these kids and hit brick walls over and over again...same as I would had I not been such a loud mouth who doesn't take no for an answer. Imagine if the were from another country, were known to be here visiting, never returned...imagine trying to file that missing persons report in the 70s..especially if you were not a squeeky wheel so to speak. I wish I could help with this case as it drives me nuts to think of some elderly lady begging someone to help her locate her grandchildren...God Bless this kids. I hope you guys do give them their names! God bless you!

Welcome Jen. Thanks for sharing your story. It sounds like a nightmare! I'm glad everything worked out and your daughter is safe.

I've often wondered about these 2 kids and if someone HAS been looking for them and something as simple as miscommunication has stood in the way. Maybe they are from overseas and it's just been a series near-miss coincidences that have prevented them from finding their lost loved ones. :(

Fairy1,
I've never been able to find Lonnie Sr. Obit. I only found out his approximate date of death on genealogy.com and also NewsLibrary.com.
I've wondered about Lonnie Jr. because I've heard for the past couple years that he may have died or he may still be alive.

I also couldn't find out who Lonnie Sr was married to on genealogy.com. But that age would probably fit with Lonnie Jr., making him 28 years old in 1976.

I'm going to check out the Greenville online. Thanks for letting us know about Lonnie Jr......

MaryBeth, Fairy1, Shadetree, It's amazing how sharp you guys are. What's with Lonnie's name? Did he change his name to his Mothers last name, after the murders?
serial #'s filed and bio-names changed??...Hmmmmm! I have my answer..

Notice this LAST WORD in L.H'jr.'s Obituary.....Veteran...

. Anson Record, The (Wadesboro, NC) - September 17, 2008

Obituaries for 9/17
Lonnie Lang Jr. WADESBORO.. Mr. Lonnie Henry "L.H." Lang, Jr., 60, died Saturday, Sept. 13, 2008 at Duke University Hospital in Durham.
Memorial services were at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the Chapel of Leavitt Funeral Home with the Rev. Tommy McKenzie officiating.
The family greeted friends after the service...L.H. was born in Anson County Aug. 1, 1948, a son of the late Lonnie Henry and Ruby Brower Lang.
He was been employed with LUWA Pharmaceuticals and was a veteran...

Code:
MaryBeth, Fairy1, Shadetree, It's amazing how sharp you guys are. What's with Lonnie's name? Did he change his name to his Mothers last name, after the murders? 

Obituaries for 9/17 
Lonnie Lang Jr. WADESBORO.. Mr. Lonnie Henry "L.H." Lang, Jr., 60, died Saturday, Sept. 13, 2008 at Duke University Hospital in Durham.
Memorial services were at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the Chapel of Leavitt Funeral Home with the Rev. Tommy McKenzie officiating. 
The family greeted friends after the service...L.H. was born in Anson County Aug. 1, 1948, a son of the late Lonnie Henry and Ruby Brower Lang.

letsthink (I know you changed your name but I liked your old one better),

I have wanted to strangle you these last few days.:mad:

But kudos on finding this! Thank you very much.:clap::clap::clap:

ShadeTree, From one horse lover to another, That's right I love mysteries, too...Thanks for the kind word..
A new case for me and just been fishing around with theories, straighten me out with the facts IF I've been too far off base, or PM me...:waitasec:

Guys, Had the Vietnam war, marching, protesting and fighting ended in 1975-76? I remember feelings and opinions were running strong back in the '70's.
Seems I read, someone suspected a military vet.did this to these kids....because of the way they were shot.
Maybe he was suffering from PTSD, psychosis, flash-backs, drug addiction or related problems from the war and running drugs with/for a partner who had some 'clout' in that area ??
This theory doesn't answer why they were robbed of everything they had including all their belongings? IF he didn't know the couple, why would it matter if they were identified or at least had their backpacks?? I'm thinking there has to be more to this story.

Obituaries for 9/17

That's why I couldn't find him on Greenvilleonline.com. I was looking under the last name of Henry. It must not be our Lonnie. Lonnie Sr's name was Lonnie George Henry....so Lonnie Jr would be the same. This is Lonnie Henry Lang so it must not be ours. So close though...

MaryBeth,
Could this be Henry Sr.'s son...Jr.? It's very near Wadesboro, NC in Anson Co. and not far from Monroe.

http://www.co.anson.nc.us/gis/Clien...ename=0&fieldname=PIN&fieldvalue=649100091610

Look at the mapquest directions from Polkton NC to Sumter SC...a 2 hour drive...wasn't it said the couple was found near the Florence county line?

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=...um=1&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=title

Guys it erased the outlined directions...put in Polkton to Sumter and look at the 'route'...

That's why I couldn't find him on Greenvilleonline.com. I was looking under the last name of Henry. It must not be our Lonnie. Lonnie Sr's name was Lonnie George Henry....so Lonnie Jr would be the same. This is Lonnie Henry Lang so it must not be ours. So close though...

MB...You are correct that IF Mr. Henry's son was a Junior it would have to be his Bio-son....Yet, all we can find is: Lonnie Henry Lang Jr,....Maybe it was his wife, Rubies, son by another marriage....yet he wouldn't be a Junior...actually his mothers last name should be in the middle of his name not the end...all I can figure he changed his name .....when and why?

Notice the first 2 initials. QUOTE: .L.H. was born in Anson County Aug. 1, 1948, a son of the late Lonnie Henry and Ruby Brower Lang.

He would have been 28 yrs old in 1976 and possibly out of service, has anyone found a service record or anything?....

MB...You are correct that IF Mr. Henry's son was a Junior it would have to be his Bio-son....Yet, all we can find is: Lonnie Henry Lang Jr,....Maybe it was his wife, Rubies, son by another marriage....yet he wouldn't be a Junior...actually his mothers last name should be in the middle of his name not the end...all I can figure he changed his name .....when and why?

Notice the first 2 initials. QUOTE: .L.H. was born in Anson County Aug. 1, 1948, a son of the late Lonnie Henry and Ruby Brower Lang.

He would have been 28 yrs old in 1976 and possibly out of service, has anyone found a service record or anything?....

I think it's a completely different person whose last name is Lang. His first and second names just happen to be Lonnie and Henry. I don't know about Lonnie Henry Jr ever being in the service. That's something I don't think I checked on yet. I've been busy at work and haven't had a lot of time to search on this case like I have before.

GoodMorning MB,
I'm still trying to figure it out.....IF they were never married that's the way it would be written..Do you think the fathers name being Lonnie Henry is a coincidence?
Here's what I found last night.
QUOTE:

Results for: Lonnie Lang [refine search]
Death/Burial, 1968 - 2008, North Carolina, United States
Father: Lonnie Henry, Mother: Ruby Lang
Exact Spelling: Off
Matches: All Sources -#3
U.S. Social Security Death Index
1. Lonnie LANG - U.S. Social Security Death Index
Birth: 26 Jul 1901 State Where Number was Issued: North Carolina Death: May 1978
2. Lonnie LANG - U.S. Social Security Death Index
Birth: 1 Jun 1924 State Where Number was Issued: North Carolina Death: 23 Jan 1991
3. Lonnie LANG - U.S. Social Security Death Index
Birth: 1 Aug 1948 State Where Number was Issued: North Carolina Death: 13 Sep 2008
Matches: U.S. Social Security Death Index -# 3
____________________________________________________________________Quote
International Genealogical Index - North America
1. Lonnie George Henry - International Genealogical Index / NA

2. Lonnie George Henry - International Genealogical Index / NA

3. Lonnie George Henry - International Genealogical Index / NA
_____________________________________________________Quote:
International Genealogical Index - North America
1. Lonnie George Henry - International Genealogical Index / NA

2. Lonnie George Henry - International Genealogical Index / NA

3. Lonnie George Henry - International Genealogical Index / NA

Monica Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker
Just a thought Jocke is a Swedish name. Pronounced Yo-kay

True, but the 2nd posting for this thread states a camper remembers his name being "Jock" as in that was the pronunciation upon meeting.

My ex used to work with a guy named "Jacques" and his family was originally from Quebec. He was raised in the US and everyone just called him "Jock" with the hard J sound versus the softer sh plus z sound for Jacques. I never knew he was really a "Jacques" until he started having children and gave them all very French names!
Even though L. Henry had the murder weapon, the KOA guy talked to the couple before they went to Florida and when they came back...Since Jock had told him about his wealthy Doctor Father disowning him...the KOA worker had several days to think about what Jock said before the couple returned from Florida....

Could he and a friend have planned their murder?.....imo

a huge 'coincidence' their camping information was never found at the KOA....of course I do NOT believe in coincidences....someone sanitized this case..imo

Has anyone heard what the couple was staying in at the campground?. In a tent or trailer, sleeping bags, or mini-van or where? IF they pulled a camper then they had to have a car.
What did that campground offer in sleeping arrangements?
How far from the camping area were they murdered/or thrown out?

I still have a feeling they may have been shot first elsewhere and then shot under the chin when thrown out the van that night...in order to make them look like hitch hikers.... reason I say this is, nothing found in their pockets but a pack of matches...where's the change, pocket knife, nail clippers,gum.. .this makes No sense if they were hitching..someone cleaned-out the couples pockets for some reason...and that took time.

Since I'm talking to myself, thought I'd refresh our memory.
QUOTE:
The autopsy revealed the pair had eaten fruit or ice cream with fruit not long before they died so investigators were certain the two must have bought the food from a local eatery or store.
Someone remembered seeing a couple matching the dead couple's descriptions at a fruit stand that was located off the Florence Highway,

but the person couldn't say whether the man and woman were with someone else or if they were riding in a car.

Months after the homicide, an employee of KOA campgrounds near Santee, S.C., called authorities,
believing he had earlier made friends with the dead man, who went by the name “Jock,” according to documents in the case file.
Jock, or more likely, Jacques, stayed a few days at the campgrounds with his young female companion, then left for Florida.

He and his girlfriend stopped at the campgrounds again on their way back.

The two men became friends. While shooting pool, Jacque told the KOA worker he was the son of a prominent doctor in Canada who had disowned him for giving up on his own career in medicine.
He was taking a vacation of sorts, traveling the country aimlessly.

Before leaving, he tried to pawn an expensive ring to the employee, who later told authorities that the ring had looked a lot like the one found on the mystery man.
Inside his pocket was a book of Grants Truck Stop matches, which could only be found in Idaho, New Mexico and Nebraska. Authorities think Jacques passed through these places on his travels.

Did I run everyone off?
Thought I'd bring this over:
mysteriew
A diamond in process

That is a good point about the KOA registration.
It would have had at least the names of the camper that registered, and if they were in a vehicle they usually wanted the license number.

I wonder if there were any abandoned cars found in the area. If it was someone like a trucker- they would have had their truck and the campers vehicle to contend with.

I think the trucker should have been checked out, but I would have also checked out the KOA manager.
Reportedly, he was the last to see them alive and he evidently didn't provide LE with a camper registration.
He could have committed the murders, thinking that no one would remember the couple.
Then later have become afraid that someone would remember, and thus given his version of the story in case someone mentioned them being at the camping area.__________________________QUOTE

My question is: What was the KOA managers name? Was he checked out? Was he kin or friends with any of Lonnie Henry's family?
Did the couple run in to someone, or pick up someone at the Fruit Stand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member