Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You only have to see what happened with regards to the Grateful Doe, Jason Callahan. Died 20 years ago and only reported missing last year. This probably happens more than what we like to think.

You only have to see what happened with regards to the Grateful Doe, Jason Callahan. Died 20 years ago and only reported missing last year. This probably happens more than what we like to think.

Not only Jason, Caledonia Jane Doe/ Tammy Alexander. Also recently identified Mendocino Jane Doe's ID'd as Kerry Graham and Francine Trimble. All were recent MP reports into NamUs. A lot of the cases last year were new MP entries

Hello Websleuths. I am an agent with the National Park Service and have been assigned the Dikran Knadjian cold case. I have read through the original file as well as the threads on this site. If anyone has any information about this case specifically please feel free to contact me.

The family is still very much invested in this case and willing to help me. It is quite possible that Knadjian did suffer a fall somewhere in the park but many of the remains found were not linked (at the time this was via dental records). I am pursuing getting the status of all of our DNA evidence that is in inventory. The original investigation was lengthy and conducted very well but perhaps there may be a way to make some progress now. I am not usually in the habit of reaching out to the online community with most of my cases (most my cases are not 40 plus years old either), but it seems that there is a lot of good information on here and this case has had no movement in a long time so any progress would be helpful.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/19337/3/

Hello Websleuths. I am an agent with the National Park Service and have been assigned the Dikran Knadjian cold case. I have read through the original file as well as the threads on this site. If anyone has any information about this case specifically please feel free to contact me.

The family is still very much invested in this case and willing to help me. It is quite possible that Knadjian did suffer a fall somewhere in the park but many of the remains found were not linked (at the time this was via dental records). I am pursuing getting the status of all of our DNA evidence that is in inventory. The original investigation was lengthy and conducted very well but perhaps there may be a way to make some progress now. I am not usually in the habit of reaching out to the online community with most of my cases (most my cases are not 40 plus years old either), but it seems that there is a lot of good information on here and this case has had no movement in a long time so any progress would be helpful.

Welcome to Ws. NPS invest!
:Welcome1:

Started thread for Dikran Knadjian.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...osa-County-California&p=12357649#post12357649
Dikran Knadjian, 20,July 24 1972, Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County, California

Hi and welcome to WS! Dot started a thread for Dikran, I've copied over all the posts pertaining to him. Would love it if you could join us there.

CA Dikran Knadjian, 20,July 24 1972, Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County, California

I have no idea how to go about researching this. I found this article in wikileaks:

https://wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/1977STATE193722_c.html

Summary:
In August 1975 stranded boat was found at sea (near the and was unoccupied; the registration tracked back to a Richard Hammerstein. RH's father was contacted and the last he heard from his son was via postcard on July 26, 1976. Father reports that son was en route from Bahamas to Miami.

At one time RH was traveling with "BARBARA J. BARNETT (BARETTE)." The father reported his son advised that Barbara had disembarked at some point prior to the July 26 post card.

I have no idea how to go about researching this. I found this article in wikileaks:

Summary:
In August 1975 stranded boat was found at sea (near the and was unoccupied; the registration tracked back to a Richard Hammerstein. RH's father was contacted and the last he heard from his son was via postcard on July 26, 1976. Father reports that son was en route from Bahamas to Miami.

At one time RH was traveling with "BARBARA J. BARNETT (BARETTE)." The father reported his son advised that Barbara had disembarked at some point prior to the July 26 post card.

Nothing comes up on google with variations of Richard Hammerstein missing July 26, 1976.

While Richard Hammerstein could be it, I doubt it. Why would he use the name Jacques? Why lie about being from Canada?

Most likely he was found, which is why there is nothing after that concerning him missing

Anyways, look at both their noses. They are siblings.

Very Interesting thoughts q64ceo re siblings, - Would you provide the link to illustrate this point. I don't doubt your observation but would like to know how you assessed they are sibs.
Apologies if this has been posted and I missed it...

IMO - This is one of the most mysterious unsolved cases,,,

Summary:

I am thoroughly confused regarding the dates you provided. I went to the link that you provided, but i didn't see anything about 1975 or 1976. The communication was dated 1977. According to the dates you provided, the boat was found in Aug. of 1975 and he wrote a letter in July of 1976 which would be impossible. How could he have written a letter after he was lost at sea? Do you have any other info. that you could post about this case?

Hello, Please excuse me if this has been answered, but has or will there be isotope testing on the the couple? I know they were exhumed back in 2007ish. I was wondering if that has been considered at all.

While Richard Hammerstein could be it, I doubt it. Why would he use the name Jacques? Why lie about being from Canada?

Most likely he was found, which is why there is nothing after that concerning him missing

Anyways, look at both their noses. They are siblings.

Genetic testing performed in 2007 concluded that they were not related even though they resembled each other.
This was from Wiki, I don't know how reliable their source is. I wasn't able to find a news source but I didn't have time to pour over everything and I don't have access to newspapers. com.

Hello, Please excuse me if this has been answered, but has or will there be isotope testing on the the couple? I know they were exhumed back in 2007ish. I was wondering if that has been considered at all.

Any isotope or pollen testing would be up to the ME or LE. I'm not sure what they have access to without exhuming the remains.

It would be very interesting to see if any future isotope results would show that Jacques was from Canada, as he claimed.

Welcome to Ws. Mindela!

It would be very interesting to see if any future isotope results would show that Jacques was from Canada, as he claimed.

Or more accurately, as a witness claimed he said. I'm not sure I believe it. Well, let me rephrase that. I'm pretty sure I don't believe it.

Or more accurately, as a witness claimed he said. I'm not sure I believe it. Well, let me rephrase that. I'm pretty sure I don't believe it.

I had a thought this morning. What if "Jacques" didn't say that his father was a Canadian doctor but a Cajun one and was misheard? If that were so, then looking north for his origins would be completely wrong. It would also fit in with his apparent name and any French cultural connections he might have had.

Then I had a further thought. What if he said his father was a Bajan doctor, ie from Barbados, and was again misheard? Barbados only became independent from the UK in 1966 so there's a good chance that many white European doctors would still be practising on the island only 8 years later in 1974.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
everyoneblooms