Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
EF62393A-768F-451A-9F43-7053B48FEA09.jpeg

Using the Harvey Pratt Facial Reconstruction of Jane Doe, I tweaked it up a bit to give Jane Doe different looks using FaceApp. This time, she has a smile, bangs, glasses and makeup. Unfortunately, Harvey did not do one of Jock; therefore I’m not really able to do one of him (prefer using flesh recons).

The more I read about this case the more it intrigues me. I’m gonna really have to look around and see what I can find on this one.

I read all the posts. When I first wrote I did not know if I could write a name. I haven't seen the doctor's name I found.
There was a doctor in Montreal, Jean-Panet Fauteux, a highly respected surgeon. He was born in 1923. Must have come from a rich family because is brother was a Judge. Maybe the ring with the initials JPF was Jock's father's?

I will go the the Library of Archives in Montreal, I want to look in the birth records. I can look also for Jacques Fiset too.

Well, I have been searching online prior to going to the Archives Library next Friday...
There was a dental-surgeon Homere Fauteux (1872-1933) who married the daughter of the 9th Prime Minister of Quebec (
One of their son, Gaspard Fauteux (1898-1963), also a dental surgeon, became Lieutenant governor of Quebec
I will investigate his children's children, as they would have been born around 1946-1958.
I think that being in such a family and not wanted to be a doctor/dentist would be enough to have you disinherited.

So far no link between that Fauteux family and the great surgeon Jean-Panet Fauteux

As for Dr Jacques Fiset, he was on the board of administrators of the [FONT=&amp]Association of Prosthodontists of Canada in 1973 but I can't find any infos other that he died in 2002 (age ?). Anyone has more infos on him so I can search about him, like date of birth?

Also, another thought, lots of children were adopted in the province of Quebec between 1945 and 1960. What if "Jock" was adopted, had poor dental issues and it was fixed by a rich family who adopted him? I hope not because that would be hard to find out, adoption registries, to my knowledge, are not available for research...

[/FONT]

I will ask the University of Montreal if they have the yearbooks of graduates.

About my research: DrJacques Fiset, born in1930, died in 2001.He had 4 children that I know of,the youngest of whom is Jacques Jr (no mention of a wife in the obituary)
Chantal,

If you're still following this thread, thanks for following up on the Jacques Fiset angle.

I have had an interest in this case for a while now. A young nice looking couple with recognizable faces, so why unsolved for over 40 years? BOTH not ID...which leads me to think no one reported them missing. Maybe they were running from the law or involved in drug trafficking. I'm not so sure about the wealthy family scenario. He had extensive dental work. Maybe due to a lifetime of poor dental attention in which, as an adult, he was then able to afford. The watch and ring could have been a gift or bought from a pawn shop while traveling.

The gun used, does it hold six rounds? If so, that would mean the killer emptied his gun on them. Sounds

Sounds personal not random. Just a thought. But if we are to assume they are just travelers, what could they have done to really tick this person off to kill execution style? Something went wrong. Due to the body site, seems remote like the killer knew the area.

Sounds personal not random. Just a thought. But if we are to assume they are just travelers, what could they have done to really tick this person off to kill execution style? Something went wrong. Due to the body site, seems remote like the killer knew the area.
Motive is sometimes the toughest thing to figure out. I think they were probably killed for their bike, but if they were killed out of anger, it could have been over just about anything. They may have laughed at somebody (Lonnie Henry's son, for instance), trespassed on somebody's property, pulled some peaches from somebody's tree...the girl could have refused somebody's advances...it could have been anything.

Sweetluv,

Yes, I completely agree. Their execution dos not seem random to me. Each were shot three times in a very similar manner, not disfiguring their faces. This is significant, and no, I don't think it was random. How many murders can you think of were the killer shot at the victim with an intend to kill and didn't target the victim's head? Not many.
The killer very likely knew them and they were killed for a personal reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't believe that traveling had anything to do with their murder. I think the fact that the shooter had located them could be surprising to the couple. I think the killer found them, tracked them down and then found the right moment to attack and subdue the couple with an intent to kill. Also, them being left on the side of highway in a full view... with no attempt to hide or disfigure their bodies... to me, it screams vengence, a message to others or some kind of vendetta-like act. This was conducted in such a clean and smooth manner, almost like the killer knew the plan exactly and was well prepared.

I don't believe that traveling had anything to do with their murder. I think the fact that the shooter had located them could be surprising to the couple. I think the killer found them, tracked them down and then found the right moment to attack and subdue the couple with an intent to kill. Also, them being left on the side of highway in a full view... with no attempt to hide or disfigure their bodies... to me, it screams vengence, a message to others or some kind of vendetta-like act. This was conducted in such a clean and smooth manner, almost like the killer knew the plan exactly and was well prepared.
Lonnie Henry, the person in whose possession the murder weapon was found, was arrested for Darlington, SC, four months after the bodies were found (which is when the murder weapon was recovered). Darlington is only about half an hour away from the dump site, so Henry clearly had some ties to the immediate area. Henry was from Anson County, NC, which is just across the state line (or about 80 miles from where the bodies were found).
Anson County is extremely rural. There are something like 30,000 people living in the entire county. People from more urban areas might not understand that in such a rural area, 80 miles is nothing. I've known people in rural areas who had to drive almost that far to do their grocery shopping. So even though he lived about 80 miles from where the bodies were found, I would still call Lonnie Henry a local. He may not have killed the does, but I would be willing to bet that they were killed by someone known to Lonnie Henry. If somebody was settling a score, I believe it was over something fairly recent.

Lonnie Henry, the person in whose possession the murder weapon was found, was arrested for Darlington, SC, four months after the bodies were found (which is when the murder weapon was recovered). Darlington is only about half an hour away from the dump site, so Henry clearly had some ties to the immediate area. Henry was from Anson County, NC, which is just across the state line (or about 80 miles from where the bodies were found).
Anson County is extremely rural. There are something like 30,000 people living in the entire county. People from more urban areas might not understand that in such a rural area, 80 miles is nothing. I've known people in rural areas who had to drive almost that far to do their grocery shopping. So even though he lived about 80 miles from where the bodies were found, I would still call Lonnie Henry a local. He may not have killed the does, but I would be willing to bet that they were killed by someone known to Lonnie Henry. If somebody was settling a score, I believe it was over something fairly recent.

Yes, I know about that report and I don't buy that. Sounds more like a cover up than real evidence. What prompted cops to tie the gun found in Henry's possession to Sumter county murders? He was in a different county at the time when he was stopped for traffic violation (if I remember correctly). Why would anyone consider comparing his gun to the gun used in the murders? It sounds odd and the reason behind it does not make any sense to me at all.. Especially back in 1976, this is extremely odd. So, I think this might have been a coverup. What are the odds that the murders were conducted so smoothy with absolutely no trace of the killer and then the gun was found in some random man's possession questioned by the cops? Something does not add up. I think either someone wanted Lonnie in prison real bad or this was an attempt to fabricate evidence to create distraction or confusion... or perhaps a random mistake.

Yes, I know about that report and I don't buy that. Sounds more like a cover up than real evidence. What prompted cops to tie the gun found in Henry's possession to Sumter county murders? He was in a different county at the time when he was stopped for traffic violation (if I remember correctly). Why would anyone consider comparing his gun to the gun used in the murders? It sounds odd and the reason behind it does not make any sense to me at all.. Especially back in 1976, this is extremely odd. So, I think this might have been a coverup. What are the odds that the murders were conducted so smoothy with absolutely no trace of the killer and then the gun was found in some random man's possession questioned by the cops? Something does not add up. I think either someone wanted Lonnie in prison real bad or this was an attempt to fabricate evidence to create distraction or confusion... or perhaps a random mistake.
Lonnie Henry didn't deny that the gun was his. Are you suggesting that the ballistics report was fraudulent? The gun had had the serial number filed off, so checking that gun against unsolved local crimes may have been standard procedure.
I doubt a local police department would have handled ballistics. That part of the investigation probably would have been handled by the state crime lab or the FBI. Can someone point to a source document to clarify who handled the ballistics investigation?

If we are to assume no one has reported them missing, then why? Drugs, running from the law, undercover agents? If this was a rural area, what would bring this couple there....any nearby exits to neighboring cities?

If we are to assume no one has reported them missing, then why? Drugs, running from the law, undercover agents? If this was a rural area, what would bring this couple there....any nearby exits to neighboring cities?

The police might not have even taken a missing person's report - there have been a few cases of that. Or it may have been something like the Grateful Doe case, where I think the mother wasn't sure who to report it to (and maybe the police would have pointed to another jurisdiction.) I know some suspect they are foreign, who knows how older missing persons records interface with our systems.

I think they were found close to I-95; north is Florence SC right off the exit. South on I-95 or on the back roads would have taken them to 378, which (taking west) leads to Sumter SC and eventually to Columbia SC. There are a few military bases in the area, Shaw Air Force Base outside of Sumter and Fort Jackson in Columbia.

The biggest of these cities is Columbia which is the capital of SC.

I-95 is the major N-S route on the East Coast - it runs through DC, Philly, NYC, and Boston to the north, not to mention all the other roads that feed into it from other parts of the north including eastern Canada, and it's the main road you'd take south if you wanted to go anywhere in Florida. For all we know, they were going to go to Disney World.

Lonnie Henry didn't deny that the gun was his. Are you suggesting that the ballistics report was fraudulent? The gun had had the serial number filed off, so checking that gun against unsolved local crimes may have been standard procedure.
I doubt a local police department would have handled ballistics. That part of the investigation probably would have been handled by the state crime lab or the FBI. Can someone point to a source document to clarify who handled the ballistics investigation?

I read somewhere that his brother had given the gun to him as a gift but he claimed he had no idea why the serial number was filed off or who had been in possession of the gun at the time of the murders. Well, we don't know if he was given the gun after the murders and serials numbers were filed off or prior. If these done prior to giving it to Henry, then why wasn't he concerned that the serial numbers filed off? after all, it's a weapon.

If this is the case, we are to assume that someone known to Henry killed the couple, and no, I don't think so. Given that the killer was so smooth, I don't think it would be likely for the killer to give the gun away, with serial numbers filed off or not. So, the killer must have given the gun to someone and just walk off. It just doesn't make sense.

I don't know who handled the ballistics...but let me just tell you what' wrong. How did they matched to the weapon used in the murders? Yes, probably checked against unsolved crimes where the same caliber weapon was used... and then... conveniently... the gun goes missing and Henry is never charged. I think it had nothing to do with Henry. I think was some sort of a bait... a distraction.

people go missing all the time under various circumstances. Not all of them are reported missing, and when they are oftentimes there is no guarantee that there is going to be consistent follow-up.

I read somewhere that his brother had given the gun to him as a gift but he claimed he had no idea why the serial number was filed off or who had been in possession of the gun at the time of the murders. Well, we don't know if he was given the gun after the murders and serials numbers were filed off or prior. If these done prior to giving it to Henry, then why wasn't he concerned that the serial numbers filed off? after all, it's a weapon.

If this is the case, we are to assume that someone known to Henry killed the couple, and no, I don't think so. Given that the killer was so smooth, I don't think it would be likely for the killer to give the gun away, with serial numbers filed off or not. So, the killer must have given the gun to someone and just walk off. It just doesn't make sense.

I don't know who handled the ballistics...but let me just tell you what' wrong. How did they matched to the weapon used in the murders? Yes, probably checked against unsolved crimes where the same caliber weapon was used... and then... conveniently... the gun goes missing and Henry is never charged. I think it had nothing to do with Henry. I think was some sort of a bait... a distraction.

From searching images, a gun with a filed off serial number is probably going to be obvious. Henry or his brother may not have been particularly picky if the price was right, and it doesn't sound like he was unable to possess a firearm otherwise he would probably have been charged.

Now, if the killer was not from the area, he could have sold the gun to someone who didn't care very much about the serial numbers being filed off, and confident that they wouldn't be tracked down because they'd be long gone and the type of people who buy guns with serial numbers filed off are not the type to talk to police. This makes sense if the killer was a hitchhiker or transient, or if it was a hit of some sort. Whoever did it I don't think cared very much about them being identified or not; there was enough unique jewelry and their faces are recognizable. Like many I'm surprised they haven't been identified, and (for instance) if they had been ID'ed and they owned a car, you'd have a great lead.

Sometimes I wonder if the jewelry was a plant.

From searching images, a gun with a filed off serial number is probably going to be obvious. Henry or his brother may not have been particularly picky if the price was right, and it doesn't sound like he was unable to possess a firearm otherwise he would probably have been charged.

Now, if the killer was not from the area, he could have sold the gun to someone who didn't care very much about the serial numbers being filed off, and confident that they wouldn't be tracked down because they'd be long gone and the type of people who buy guns with serial numbers filed off are not the type to talk to police. This makes sense if the killer was a hitchhiker or transient, or if it was a hit of some sort. Whoever did it I don't think cared very much about them being identified or not; there was enough unique jewelry and their faces are recognizable. Like many I'm surprised they haven't been identified, and (for instance) if they had been ID'ed and they owned a car, you'd have a great lead.

Sometimes I wonder if the jewelry was a plant.

I strongly believe they were killed for a personal reason and not for their valuables… and that they were in South Carolina only for a short time. Why would a local have anything personal against them to want them dead? Local ****s killing them just doesn’t make any sense, especially if are very likely not from the area. Something doesn’t seem right… it just doesn’t add up to the way that they were killed.

I have always believed there was more to this than some random killing due to the manner in which they were killed execution like, and the fact that they were driven to a location then killed..not on the spot. The jewelry could have been left since pawning it could be too suspicious. Maybe they knew the killer (s) and were traveling with them before something transpired. Would explain no car or hotel abandoned with luggage.

I strongly believe they were killed for a personal reason and not for their valuables… and that they were in South Carolina only for a short time. Why would a local have anything personal against them to want them dead? Local ****s killing them just doesn’t make any sense, especially if are very likely not from the area. Something doesn’t seem right… it just doesn’t add up to the way that they were killed.

IMO a local would not have left the bodies out in the open like they were found. Would have been more likely to be transported away from the area and/or buried etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, yes, we do know that the gun was given to Lonnie Henry before the murders. The gun was traced to the brother through the manufacturer---he was apparently the original purchaser of it--and the brother then admitted that he had given Lonnie the gun four or five years prior. So Lonnie Henry had the gun both before the murders and after the murders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tinatrue