Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know, Carl possibly, if the shirt he was wearing was absolutely POSITIVELY red???

•MMcG•

Is there any reason you would doubt that? In other words; is there a certain reason you ask this?

Yes! Actually, there is! I’ve come across a photo that I truly believe to be both “Jock” (and considering the research I’ve done, I am confident that is a nickname and nothing more) and a still missing person from the US!

Yes! Actually, there is! I’ve come across a photo that I truly believe to be both “Jock” (and considering the research I’ve done, I am confident that is a nickname and nothing more) and a still missing person from the US!

Getting to know you a tiny, little bit, I thought so :) Interesting, are you willing to share more?

Getting to know you a tiny, little bit, I thought so :) Interesting, are you willing to share more?

I have spent an embarrassing amount of time reading over EVERY single word written about these two (TWICE), since I *ETA-a spelling correction* saw this photo, and at this point there’s not much that will convince me I’m wrong! (says every wrong person in the world.... ever.) I created an account on ancestry.com less than 2 weeks ago and I’ve completed enough of a ‘tree’ to know, with a very reasonable amount of certainty, that the missing person(s) is/are “Jock”/Jane Doe!

If I am wrong, I will choke on these words and probably not be seen on WSs for quite awhile!!

But, yes, I will share a tiny bit more....

•MMcG•

Attachments

• B3616A43-A9B3-484E-B193-E1948556AD2B.jpeg
    B3616A43-A9B3-484E-B193-E1948556AD2B.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 75
That's what NamUs says:
red T-shirt Shirt read "Coors: America's Light Beer" on the front and "Camel Challenger G-T Sebring '75" on the back along with a Snoopy design

I think I've had this conversation before but I can't remember if it was here or somewhere else. The snoopy design is most likely not snoopy but Camel Joe. They're calling it a design so I'm assuming it's an outline or shadow figure. I could be wrong but why would snoopy be on a IMSA racing shirt?

I have spent an embarrassing amount of time reading over EVERY single word written about these two (TWICE), since I *ETA-a spelling correction* saw this photo, and at this point there’s not much that will convince me I’m wrong! (says every wrong person in the world.... ever.) I created an account on ancestry.com less than 2 weeks ago and I’ve completed enough of a ‘tree’ to know, with a very reasonable amount of certainty, that the missing person(s) is/are “Jock”/Jane Doe!

If I am wrong, I will choke on these words and probably not be seen on WSs for quite awhile!!

But, yes, I will share a tiny bit more....

•MMcG•

I can't tell much from this picture other than it's a Coors shirt but if you feel this strongly about what you've found then definitely follow through with it. I hope you can share more later.

I think I've had this conversation before but I can't remember if it was here or somewhere else. The snoopy design is most likely not snoopy but Camel Joe. They're calling it a design so I'm assuming it's an outline or shadow figure. I could be wrong but why would snoopy be on a IMSA racing shirt?

I can't tell much from this picture other than it's a Coors shirt but if you feel this strongly about what you've found then definitely follow through with it. I hope you can share more later.

Something like this? Right up corner.
banner.jpg

I was JUST typing a reply...a better explanation! But you are absolutely correct! It is not a Snoopy! It is Mr. Camel! I suppose I can see how someone would confuse the two.

I know that every article describes the shirt as red, but even looking at the one crime scene photo, it doesn’t look red to me. Maybe a very faded red, but red appears pretty dark in black and white photos!
Every article also states that the shirt reads (front) “COORS — America’s Light Beer”
(back) “Camel Challenger GT - Sebring ‘75”
but it’s actually “LITE” and “CHALLENGE”. Unless he bought a knockoff memorabilia T-Shirt...

-continuing with my novel...

It's obvious the black and white picture of the crime scene is discolored. She was wearing a blue denim cut-off shorts (Daisy Dukes). Looks pink in the picture...almost the same color as his shirt. Red discoloration, red-filter-like. Sorry guys...here is just the photo of the crime scene....it's everywhere, so for the record Warning!!!

Sumter_County_Crime_Scene.jpg

I really like your persistence. I have the tendency to wait and see if DNA project has picked up a case. And move on with unidentified cases that have not this much of exposure. Everybody has to do what he/she thinks is right, spending time on.
To be honest, I never intended to get this far into it! I only came across these two a short while before I leaped into genealogy research. I happened to be researching a missing couple and decided I’d attempt to find answers in their case. Call it what you will, but the stars seemed to align for the missing couple and this pair of Does! I’ve always looked into the cases I was drawn to and never, before now, paid attention to whether or not they were being investigated extensively or not. As a matter of fact, a case I’m very close to (several actually) are among the pending cases in DDP’s site! Just a few days ago I spoke and corresponded about a case with the very agency who is handling Diane Jackson’s (Orange Socks) case! I couldn’t have known then that she had been identified and their department has to be bombarded with calls and requests about her case. But they were still very grateful and receptive towards the information I gave them! I think even the best of the best, operating with all the finest tools and equipment, can always benefit from the tiniest of clues or information! :)

•MMcG•

Last edited:
Since someone won’t allow me to finish my reply...here is one of the things I’ve been working on...It’s not nearly complete but I’ve started a map of locations (both for the missing couple and the Does) so you can get an idea of where I’m going with everything... there are a few links and some information that I think tie the two together...
If you are able to edit the map, go ahead. If not... sorry! I can’t even remember my color coding system right now!

I’ve also included some other photos. A few of Ms Linda Lee Levell and Stephen Locke Packard. I threw in a few from “Expo 74” (The 1974 World Expo/Fair in Spokane Washington). There are links to a Native American/Southwestern jeweler located in Gallup, NM. (Also the location of one of the Grant’s Truck & Car Stop”s back then) They were founded in 1974 and I’ve emailed the company to find out if anyone employed there now would be able to tell me if Jane’s rings were sold by them during that time. Waiting on a response. I’ve also been in contact with a Spokane local to find out if anyone may have additional photos from the World Expo...

ETA: forgot link as usual...
20 Jun 1984 map

Attachments

• 83CF1998-8C1B-4B0E-B826-D1E47F208079.jpeg
    83CF1998-8C1B-4B0E-B826-D1E47F208079.jpeg
    300 KB · Views: 40
  • 4850509C-9859-42F0-8EDC-0E15A406AA94.jpeg
    4850509C-9859-42F0-8EDC-0E15A406AA94.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 940DD8FF-151C-453C-AE91-4B707820546D.jpeg
    940DD8FF-151C-453C-AE91-4B707820546D.jpeg
    51.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 7E48AC2C-D001-4D10-BCF0-13E2EC97EEC7.jpeg
    7E48AC2C-D001-4D10-BCF0-13E2EC97EEC7.jpeg
    164.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 9E0B8865-B793-4AE5-81F8-53DF15F9969D.jpeg
    9E0B8865-B793-4AE5-81F8-53DF15F9969D.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 46
  • EAFC301F-1EBB-4F7C-A10D-1C96C2B60835.jpeg
    EAFC301F-1EBB-4F7C-A10D-1C96C2B60835.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 44
It didn’t attach a few for some reason... I had to zoom in on this one

Attachments

• F504FCEE-9B01-406C-ACF0-DACBDC15BA23.jpeg
    F504FCEE-9B01-406C-ACF0-DACBDC15BA23.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 35
Since someone won’t allow me to finish my reply...here is one of the things I’ve been working on...It’s not nearly complete but I’ve started a map of locations (both for the missing couple and the Does) so you can get an idea of where I’m going with everything... there are a few links and some information that I think tie the two together...
If you are able to edit the map, go ahead. If not... sorry! I can’t even remember my color coding system right now!

I’ve also included some other photos. A few of Ms Linda Lee Levell and Stephen Locke Packard. I threw in a few from “Expo 74” (The 1974 World Expo/Fair in Spokane Washington). There are links to a Native American/Southwestern jeweler located in Gallup, NM. (Also the location of one of the Grant’s Truck & Car Stop”s back then) They were founded in 1974 and I’ve emailed the company to find out if anyone employed there now would be able to tell me if Jane’s rings were sold by them during that time. Waiting on a response. I’ve also been in contact with a Spokane local to find out if anyone may have additional photos from the World Expo...

20 Jun 1984 map

Wow MadMCGoo I never saw this pictures of Linda Lee Levell. I only knew about this one.
upload_2019-8-15_19-4-19.jpeg

Also this is very interesting. More insight in this couples missing case. Linda Lovell and Stephen Packard

Linda Lovell has DNA available. Stephen Packard does not. I’d call it in, but I’m in doubt on this one. They don’t look alike, especially Stephen and “Jock”. Stephen is 3” taller and 30 pounds heavier. He looks like the Incredible Hulk in one pic, compared to “Jock”, who was a stringbean. Still, we don’t know until we know.

Linda Lovell has DNA available. Stephen Packard does not. I’d call it in, but I’m in doubt on this one. They don’t look alike, especially Stephen and “Jock”. Stephen is 3” taller and 30 pounds heavier. He looks like the Incredible Hulk in one pic, compared to “Jock”, who was a stringbean. Still, we don’t know until we know.

20 Jun 1984 map

The height is a little off on the male and it says his hair was strawberry blonde. The woman is much closer to being a match but in the pictures you provided ( better than I've seen anywhere else) I don't see the distinctive moles.
I didn't really understand about the map so while it's entirely possible you've been tracking this west coast couple I'm kinda doubtful about it being our east coast couple. But you never know.
I don't know where you got the pics but if it is indeed this missing woman then good job on that and if it could somehow be confirmed that these two actually made it to Spokane I'm sure that would help in an investigation not to mention sleuthing.

To my untrained eye, I don't see any physical similarities between the couples. However, I really really appreciate your enthusiasm and tenacity in regards to the research! The shirt thing is very interesting, as is the jewelry/former truck stop angle. Keep it up!

A brain blip: If the UIDs were indeed Levell and Picard, might Picard have using his middle name of "Locke" that was misheard as "Jaques?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tcat91