Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #7 Pam Buckley & James P Freund

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
I am in shock. I did NOT expect this. I had to refresh Websleuths a few times to make sure it really said “Identified” in this thread title.

These past few recent identifications have been some that I’ll never forget. Cases I’ve spent a lot of time myself researching, as I know a lot of us can say. And for both of these to be identified together is really something else. I’m quite speechless and very emotional. It’ll be one helluva sleepless night.

Praise be to those who helped make this happen!

It's so surreal for them to be identified because this case is so legendary. I mean, this is probably the most well-known, historic Doe case ever! Truly incredible that it's come to an end. I hope family members can get closure-- I'm sure this is so shocking to hear, 55 years on!

It's so surreal for them to be identified because this case is so legendary. I mean, this is probably the most well-known, historic Doe case ever! Truly incredible that it's come to an end. I hope family members can get closure-- I'm sure this is so shocking to hear, 55 years on!

Only 45 years, but plenty long enough.

There may be hope for The Boy In The Box, The Isdahl woman and Lady Of The Dunes.
In a few more years this process will get faster and easier and there may come a day when there are no more Jane and John Does.
What a great day that will be.

I have to say that I was in a state of shock when I saw that the Sumter Does were identified. I thought that they still had a long way to go!

I am really thankful for the advanced technology which contributed to solving many unidentified persons cases. This one was the second on my wish list of the cases wanted to be solved. First one is Beth Doe Pennsylvania. Hopefully, this year would be her year as well...

The KOA campground sighting was likely mistaken identity. Based on how this sounds, I would say the nearby fruit stand sighting was mistaken identity also. The reported sightings had led us to believe the Does were staying in the vicinity. Now that we know they were hitchhikers it prompts me to conclude they hitched a ride and were murdered by that ride. It would be simple to pull off I-95 under some ruse of needing to pee, etc. and instead robbing and shooting the couple.

I had long assumed the car drove the entirety of Locklair Road, which is 1.2 miles, and the murders occurred near the end. Then the car turned quickly left and headed toward I-95, which is 3/4 of a mile away. That scenario would have pointed to a local situation since the origin side of Locklair is close to I-95 but there are no entrance or exit ramps on that side. Local roads would have been used to get there. However, as mentioned here months ago only within the past year did I read that the car went down Locklair from the intersection closest to the murders, then turned around and exited the same way. That puts it near the I-95 ramp coming and going. Very possible the Does were on a carefree midnight hitchhike on the interstate when betrayed.

Also, the lack of underwear obviously meant nothing, in contrast to all the insistence they had to be European. I've never hitchhiked but I could see how that article of clothing would become stained, smelly and optional, particularly in mid summer.

Found on Facebook page Unidentified and Missing People, so the press conference where I assume their names will be released is scheduled for today

Announcement - IDENTIFIED - ✨ After 45 years details revealed tonight on News19 at 11pm. Press conference scheduled for Wednesday, January 20 at 11 am ✨ - The Sumter County Does, also known as Jock Doe and Jane Doe, two unidentified homicide victims found in Sumter County, South Carolina on August 9, 1976

Case was worked on by Non for Profit genetic genealogy org DNA Doe Project

Found on Facebook page Unidentified and Missing People, so the press conference where I assume their names will be released is scheduled for today

Announcement - IDENTIFIED - ✨ After 45 years details revealed tonight on News19 at 11pm. Press conference scheduled for Wednesday, January 20 at 11 am ✨ - The Sumter County Does, also known as Jock Doe and Jane Doe, two unidentified homicide victims found in Sumter County, South Carolina on August 9, 1976

Case was worked on by Non for Profit genetic genealogy org DNA Doe Project
I actually called that he would be from Penn due to his DNA ad mixture a few months ago on a reddit post. Way to proud of myself on that one lol but the local news is who reported them being from Penn and Wisc.

So, the man was from Pennsylvania, woman from Wisconsin. Met mostly likely while hitchhiking. Names will be released on Wednesday...
I wonder whether that means they were both hitchhiking or whether one of them (Jock) had a car and picked up the other one (Jane). I often thought that they might have been carjacked, but if they were both hitchhiking, then they must not have had a vehicle. That makes the motive more difficult to guess.

On the one hand it might have been a thrill kill; on the other hand, maybe somebody didn't want transients hanging around. Maybe they were caught sleeping in someone's barn, and someone decided trespassing should carry the death penalty. Maybe the driver who picked them up made a pass at the woman and was rejected. Unless the perp bragged about the crime, we may never know, but at least we'll know their names soon.

<modsnip>

Last edited:
I wonder whether that means they were both hitchhiking or whether one of them (Jock) had a car and picked up the other one (Jane). I often thought that they might have been carjacked, but if they were both hitchhiking, then they must not have had a vehicle. That makes the motive more difficult to guess.

On the one hand it might have been a thrill kill; on the other hand, maybe somebody didn't want transients hanging around. Maybe they were caught sleeping in someone's barn, and someone decided trespassing should carry the death penalty. Maybe the driver who picked them up made a pass at the woman and was rejected. Unless the perp bragged about the crime, we may never know, but at least we'll know their names soon.

<modsnip>
That’s a huge jump. I say we just start with names first and go from there. Maybe find out if they had a car first before we pick apart possible suspects

Last edited by a moderator:
The KOA campground sighting was likely mistaken identity. Based on how this sounds, I would say the nearby fruit stand sighting was mistaken identity also. The reported sightings had led us to believe the Does were staying in the vicinity. Now that we know they were hitchhikers it prompts me to conclude they hitched a ride and were murdered by that ride. It would be simple to pull off I-95 under some ruse of needing to pee, etc. and instead robbing and shooting the couple.

I had long assumed the car drove the entirety of Locklair Road, which is 1.2 miles, and the murders occurred near the end. Then the car turned quickly left and headed toward I-95, which is 3/4 of a mile away. That scenario would have pointed to a local situation since the origin side of Locklair is close to I-95 but there are no entrance or exit ramps on that side. Local roads would have been used to get there. However, as mentioned here months ago only within the past year did I read that the car went down Locklair from the intersection closest to the murders, then turned around and exited the same way. That puts it near the I-95 ramp coming and going. Very possible the Does were on a carefree midnight hitchhike on the interstate when betrayed.

Also, the lack of underwear obviously meant nothing, in contrast to all the insistence they had to be European. I've never hitchhiked but I could see how that article of clothing would become stained, smelly and optional, particularly in mid summer.
I said this exact thing prior. I followed phish around the country when I was 15 and underwear and shaving were not major priorities

That’s a huge jump. I say we just start with names first and go from there. Maybe find out if they had a car first before we pick apart possible suspects
Lonnie George Henry has to remain the prime suspect since he was found with the alleged murder weapon. I have to consider the possibility that the ballistics analysis was in error or faked, which is why I can't completely rule out LE.

I tried to search missing women from Wisconsin in 1976 and did only find two from 1974, but those were too young to be our Jane, imho. One young lady ran away with a trucker in 1974, but hitchhiking for 2 years is not super likely. She has a German last name, though and Jane had some German or French heritage on Gedmatch. But overall this girl would be too young to be her.
I wonder which prominent case was not put into the major databases.
And re the men, I did not find anybody who would fit Jock from Pennsylvania.

I tried to search missing women from Wisconsin in 1976 and did only find two from 1974, but those were too young to be our Jane, imho. One young lady ran away with a trucker in 1974, but hitchhiking for 2 years is not super likely. She has a German last name, though and Jane had some German or French heritage on Gedmatch. But overall this girl would be too young to be her.
I wonder which prominent case was not put into the major databases.
And re the men, I did not find anybody who would fit Jock from Pennsylvania.
Today at 11 a.m. local time we will find who they are (the press conference is scheduled for today). I have also checked the missing people sites and could not find anyone who can be them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kagguk