Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - Pamela Buckley & James Freund #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't a rhetorical question, I'm asking seriously: am I the only one who has dismissed the entire KOA story? I feel like the one element, that James was from Quebec and disowned by his doctor/father, being wrong discredits the entire testimony.

I haven't dismissed it entirely; I'm still considering it in the context of a viable cover story if he didn't want his true identity known at that time. If so, it worked for decades.

Question would be: why the need for a cover story? Perhaps the answer to that would reveal the how and why, their "intended task/destination" that night and how they ended up so viciously murdered as they did and where they did.

There were tire tracks at the crime scene indicating a van had brought them there. It was a first road and the tracks are very visible in some of the news photos. LE took casts from the tracks and surmised it was a van.

Its not yet publicly known if the van was the vehicle the victims were traveling in.
This isn't a rhetorical question, I'm asking seriously: am I the only one who has dismissed the entire KOA story? I feel like the one element, that James was from Quebec and disowned by his doctor/father, being wrong discredits the entire testimony.
Was this info that came directly from the county sheriff?

I'm new here and I don't know how relevant this is, but Lonnie Henry had another brother - Platt Walker Henry - who was in the news in 1967, when he shot and nearly killed a black soldier who tried to enter a restaurant in Wadesboro. It was the time of desegregation in N.C. and many violent racist incidents happened there at the time.

Here are the links to some articles. She second one quotes a "George Henry" who is the nephew of the shooter. Could that be Lonnies son?

22 Mar 1967, Page 5 - The Danville Register at Newspapers.com

9 Jul 1967, 8 - The Charlotte Observer at Newspapers.com
Lonnie's son, Charlie George died,in 1973,so could be..

If he got the gun for Christmas in Dec '76, someone else would have had it, though. Is it known which Christmas he was referring to?

If he had it at the time of the murders, did he have a background in LE? Was he friends with or related to anyone who was LE or former LE? Did he go on "ride alongs" with the latter? If not, did he loan it to someone who did?

If Henry wasn't the killer, was he afraid of the person who was? Did he think his life was in danger if he told the real story about the gun?

According to the brother who gave Lonnie the weapon for Christmas, it was several years prior, maybe 3, and that the serial numbers were still on the weapon at that time.

I found some new info on Pam from her yearbook section:
  • Choir student
  • Homecoming Queen Candidate
  • Member of Madrigals
  • Spanish club member (likely spoke Spanish)
  • Drama club member (theatre kid)
I was a lot like Pam in HS, wow. (Never got that nomination or did madrigals.)

According to the brother who gave Lonnie the weapon for Christmas, it was several years prior, maybe 3, and that the serial numbers were still on the weapon at that time.

Even tho it was stolen, did the brother think it was a legit gun purchase? Who gives their relative a hot Christmas gift? “ Glad you like that present bro, just don’t be seen with it”.

I wasn’t questioning you for posting it, if fact I appreciate any and all of the info that others bring. It’s just that I, and a couple of others, discussed our doubts on the KOA thing in some posts a while back. It just seems to me that the guy at the camp couldn’t be sure of anything he told the investigator. Again, thanks for your input.
No problem!

No, you're definitely not the only one. Even before Pam and James were identified, I was always skeptical of the KOA story because of how long the witness took to come forward. I think it's possible that the witness really did meet a Canadian traveler named Jacques and incorectly but sincerely assumed it was James and Pam. Try remembering someone you met only once, months ago. It's not as easy as it sounds unless you have freakishly good memory.

Of course, it's hypothetically possible that it really was James at the KOA and that he invented a cover story about his identity. But I'm doubtful.

It's possible James sounded like he was from "up north" and had been given some grief previously for being a "yankee" in the south. The Canadian story could have been a cover to deflect any hostility. It still sounds suspicious and quite likely not really that James was Jacques.

Start here and follow the trail to Sumter. It's George Henry's 1st cousin that lived in Dillon SC. Of course you will need more than just this but there is much to be had.
Herein lie the answers. Imo. I wish I could post more. Good luck.

Mary Lucille Henry Rippy (1915-2000) - Find A...

You have my attention! You can share your knowledge here just not here here;)

No, you're definitely not the only one. Even before Pam and James were identified, I was always skeptical of the KOA story because of how long the witness took to come forward. I think it's possible that the witness really did meet a Canadian traveler named Jacques and incorectly but sincerely assumed it was James and Pam. Try remembering someone you met only once, months ago. It's not as easy as it sounds unless you have freakishly good memory.

Of course, it's hypothetically possible that it really was James at the KOA and that he invented a cover story about his identity. But I'm doubtful.

As I mentioned above, the KOA guy wasn’t positive on anything. I think he could have met a couple but not this couple. Maybe I’m a bit biased because I collect old, cheap watches and take notice of nice ones, I would have remembered that watch. The KOA man is supposed to have mentioned the ring, to me says he was impressed with it. But again, not sure. Maybe the guy just didn’t want to be too involved?

No, you're not the only one. I don't buy it either. I mean, dude comes forward months after their murder, claims he became friends with James but doesn't exactly remember his name and believes it's "Jock" but isn't sure about it (really? you make a friend and don't even remember his name?), tries to sell that "disowned son of a Canadian doctor" story, but isn't sure about it either, doesn't mention Pamela at all (and I think we can all agree that he would definitely remember her if they ever met) and he's the only "witness" who told that story. I believe more people would have come forward if it really was JPF and PB at that KOA campground. Perhaps he did make a friend whose name was Jacques, but in my opinion it was somebody else, not James.

No, you're not the only one. I don't buy it either. I mean, dude comes forward months after their murder, claims he became friends with James but doesn't exactly remember his name and believes it's "Jock" but isn't sure about it (really? you make a friend and don't even remember his name?), tries to sell that "disowned son of a Canadian doctor" story, but isn't sure about it either, doesn't mention Pamela at all (and I think we can all agree that he would definitely remember her if they ever met) and he's the only "witness" who told that story. I believe more people would have come forward if it really was JPF and PB at that KOA campground. Perhaps he did make a friend whose name was Jacques, but in my opinion it was somebody else, not James.
Agreed, James and Pam were quite noticeable in a crowd: the height difference, age, etc.

Or perhaps someone in Sumter County was worried the victims might be identified and needed someone to change the narrative? A fabricated story to change the direction of the investigation to do someone a favour or repay a debt,get yourself off of a hook you may have been on?
This whole thing with the KOA story and the gun has my conspiracy meter pinging. I think something was off in Sumter County but I have no clue what!.

Pam and James' things were never found. Especially no identity cards.
Maybe someone has created a new identity with it?
I don't know if that was possible then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member