Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - Pamela Buckley & James P Freund #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did it take so long for these two individuals to be entered into the NAMUS database as missing persons? What year were they entered in NAMUS as unidentified individuals? I understand both victims were reported missing. I am not sure of the year but I think they both were reported close to the time of the discovery of the remains. Is there a backlog of missing person cases in particular states to be placed in NAMUS? Do we need to make the public more aware of NAMUS to help solve these old cases.

In a word . . . HELLYES.

In fact, it would be great if the feds would give a reward to anyone contacting NamUs about a previously unreported missing person. And we need to make sure NamUs and the DNA Doe Project are well funded.

So information is coming from everywhere. It's becoming a bit confusing. I've read so much today, I can't remember where I read that LE has changed the cause of death to one gunshot wound to the head. That makes no sense since P's post mortem photos clearly show an entry wound in the neck of Pamela. Surely the police at the scene of the crime and the pathologist would recognize the difference between and entry and exit wound. Most post mortem pictures I have viewed that are released to the public for help in identification are shown with a towel or something covering the wound. There is blood spatter on P's chin and lower face which would be in line with a neck wound.

What with lost bones, erroneously disseminated dental charts upside down, lost teeth and all the other stuff that happened to the evidence, I don't know what to think.

Kind of sad, isn't it?

This happened with my grandparents. My grandfather disappeared when my dad was about 6 yo during the Depression. She had him declared dead several years later, so she could remarry. Decades later she found out he was killed the night he disappeared when he and his friends were robbed after gambling in a card game. The killers were mobsters and were afraid to tell anyone. The ones most affected are the kids, who always wonder if their parent abandoned them or died. At least Jim's child or children will have some closure.

This happened with my grandparents. My grandfather disappeared when my dad was about 6 yo during the Depression. She had him declared dead several years later, so she could remarry. Decades later she found out he was killed the night he disappeared when he and his friends were robbed after gambling in a card game. The killers were mobsters and were afraid to tell anyone. The ones most affected are the kids, who always wonder if their parent abandoned them or died. At least Jim's child or children will have some closure.

So sorry.

So information is coming from everywhere. It's becoming a bit confusing. I've read so much today, I can't remember where I read that LE has changed the cause of death to one gunshot wound to the head. That makes no sense since P's post mortem photos clearly show an entry wound in the neck of Pamela. Surely the police at the scene of the crime and the pathologist would recognize the difference between and entry and exit wound. Most post mortem pictures I have viewed that are released to the public for help in identification are shown with a towel or something covering the wound. There is blood spatter on P's chin and lower face which would be in line with a neck wound.

What with lost bones, erroneously disseminated dental charts upside down, lost teeth and all the other stuff that happened to the evidence, I don't know what to think.

That puzzled me too....I asume he means that the 'Kill' shot was the head shot, but there were two 'disabling' shots to the torso first.

So sorry.

Thanks, its ok. I only brought it up to give some perspective on how things can develop when a parent is missing and is later found deceased. I feel badly when it happens to someone as they are often criticized and put down when all they did was end up losing their life for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

From link, thanks!
4CLYGBTGRRCOBJNVNEBBKNGGUQ.jpg

After more than 40 years, the victims have been identified as Pamela Buckley of Colorado Springs, Colorado and James Freund of Lancaster, Pennsylvania. (Source: SCSO)

''They were both reported missing in their respective home states in 1975, the sheriff said.

Buckley was 25 years old at the time of her death and Freund was 30.''

"Investigators say they have a list of potential suspects they plan to interview.
When asked if their deaths could be tied to a serial killer, officials said they believe the case is an isolated incident.

If you have any information about the case, contact the Sumter County Sheriff’s Office at 803-436-2000 or Crime Stoppers at 1-888-CRIME-SC (888-274-6372).''

Why did it take so long for these two individuals to be entered into the NAMUS database as missing persons? What year were they entered in NAMUS as unidentified individuals? I understand both victims were reported missing. I am not sure of the year but I think they both were reported close to the time of the discovery of the remains. Is there a backlog of missing person cases in particular states to be placed in NAMUS? Do we need to make the public more aware of NAMUS to help solve these old cases.
Wait, did James' case ever get put into NamUs? I know Pam's did (and like the NamUs pages on the Sumter County Does, it has been removed). I've been going back and forth with this and with the recent ID of Jolaine Hemmy, who also had been reported as missing since 1966, yet I don't believe her profile was ever posted onto NamUs. Just imagine how quickly they could be solved, or a possible match identified before they even try to do DNA genealogy? Just makes you think.

Wait, did James' case ever get put into NamUs? I know Pam's did (and like the NamUs pages on the Sumter County Does, it has been removed). I've been going back and forth with this and with the recent ID of Jolaine Hemmy, who also had been reported as missing since 1966, yet I don't believe her profile was ever posted onto NamUs. Just imagine how quickly they could be solved, or a possible match identified before they even try to do DNA genealogy? Just makes you think.
I didn't see it when I checked shortly after his name was released. Perhaps James was put on NamUs and then taken off when he was identified in September?

Attachments

• 4CLYGBTGRRCOBJNVNEBBKNGGUQ.jpg
    4CLYGBTGRRCOBJNVNEBBKNGGUQ.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 50
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics