Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - Pamela Buckley & James P Freund #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am completely horrified that I ever posted photos of the wrong Pamela Buckley on that thread. I’ve been beside myself since yesterday thinking this could be our Doe. I feel, in some way, responsible for her not being identified sooner, if it is her...and I believe it is.

People messaged me privately, telling me it wasn’t the right Pam, and I got so caught up in my own life that I relied on others to correct her thread. I should have checked back in on her. I am SO sorry for the confusion that I’ve caused, and believe me when I say, I learned my lesson back when I *advertiser censored**** up on her thread in the beginning. My research is much more thorough and accurate now. Although, it may be awhile before I post anything like this again.

I’m happy, as always, identifications have been made!! Especially in this case!

Hey, don’t worry about it. You were sleuthing based on the information that was given, and who could have known there was another Pamela Buckley with almost the same middle name in Colorado Springs? The Namus entry is so vague. If it had mentioned that Pam was originally from Minnesota, we would have been steered in the right direction. My guess though, is the missing person report was quite old and they could not locate anybody to follow up with for more info.

If it is Pam Buckley (and maybe it's not - I agree about the hair being the wrong colour but perhaps it was dyed at some point. I found this reference in the local Redwood Falls, Minnesota newspaper :
• Pamela Buckley, chosen the Redwood Jaycees Sno-Queen in February and set to become Miss Redwood Falls 1971, abdicated the throne to tour the west coast with the folk-singing trio “Sunlending.” Backward Glances: Football player poet gets revenge against his English class
So was she hitchhiking around the US with the band Sunlending?
Do you think the woman in this photo of the band could be Jane Doe?
VANv11iss19p18001
Just speculation as I'm desperately waiting for any news like everyone else. Please go easy on me! It's my first ever post :)

I think the girl in the band photo is Pam Buckley. I saw a very short article in the same college paper about this concert and it listed the band members. PB was listed. I saw it I think in her actual WS thread...I’ve seen so much it’s hard to keep straight.

I am completely horrified that I ever posted photos of the wrong Pamela Buckley on that thread. I’ve been beside myself since yesterday thinking this could be our Doe. I feel, in some way, responsible for her not being identified sooner, if it is her...and I believe it is.

People messaged me privately, telling me it wasn’t the right Pam, and I got so caught up in my own life that I relied on others to correct her thread. I should have checked back in on her. I am SO sorry for the confusion that I’ve caused, and believe me when I say, I learned my lesson back when I *advertiser censored**** up on her thread in the beginning. My research is much more thorough and accurate now. Although, it may be awhile before I post anything like this again.

I’m happy, as always, identifications have been made!! Especially in this case!

Don't beat yourself up. As others have said, finding 50 year old information including pictures is very difficult and errors can be made. I've always been amazed at how many people have exactly the same names including middle names and even share the same city or town. I have a fairly unique surname so that, coupled with my first name, I was shocked to find out there's 3 of me! All in different countries, but still.

The two were shot to death in the chest, throat and back off Interstate 95 on Aug. 9, 1976, according to the DNA Doe Project’s description. The two carried no money, but investigators believed they were well-to-do foreigners who may have been victims of a carjacking.

At first, investigators thought the two were brother and sister, but DNA testing proved they had no familial relationship.

The woman was suspected to be white and between the ages 18-25.

The male was suspected to be white and between the ages 18-30.

According to Deputy Adrienne Sarvis, public information officer for the Sumter County Sheriff’s Office, the man was from Pennsylvania, and the woman was from Minnesota, not Wisconsin as other outlets previously reported.

The Sumter County Sheriff’s Office will hold a press conference at 2 p.m. on Thursday to provide an update on the cold case.
Sumter's 1976 John and Jane Doe remains identified, to be revealed

It seems that they DID have the killer (found the murder weapon on him), but apparently ballistics is a shoddy game at best, particularly all the way back then. Interesting though.
I don't remember any more, but I guess the person, who was arrested for DUI and therefor founded the gun,died in the meantime, I think...?
It's been so long ago and thought he was older then the couple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SleuthyMcSnoop