Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - Pamela Buckley & James P Freund #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
the leading candidate for Jane is Pam Buckley from MN...who are the popular suspects for Jock?
Most of the popular guesses for Jock were Canadian/Argentinian so they're most likely out by now. I haven't seen many lookalikes on NamUs, and I straight up just looked at every male who was reported to have disappeared between 1965-1975 in America. At this point, I doubt he was reported missing. Perhaps he was ruled a runaway or went hitchhiking one summer and just never came back? both are sadly common occurrences with these long-lost does.

Hi neighbour!

Can someone please post any and all links to where online this will be shown. This is one press conference I will not miss!

It will be livestreamed on the Sumter County Sheriff's Office Facebook page. Link here. If you don't have access to Facebook, try the local news website. It's a slower news day than yesterday so there's a good chance that it will cover the conference. I've been watching it off and on because I'm practically going crazy waiting for their names and now I know more about South Carolina news than I ever wanted to.

Jean Graham said her father Ira Byrd Parnell was sheriff at the time of the investigation. He’s since passed, but the mystery stayed with her family.

“Daddy didn’t bring his work home with him, but on certain cases you knew that his heart hurt, and I knew his heart hurt for these two young people,” Graham said. “It was very shocking for something like that to happen here in Sumter. It was almost unfathomable… and you just wondered why and who.”

To honor them, she said, her father pushed to have the two buried at their family church, Bethel United Methodist in Oswego.

“He just wanted closure for them even though he knew that their families didn’t have it," Graham said. "Maybe their souls could rest in peace."

According to current Sumter County Sheriff Anthony Dennis, they’ve now been able to identify the two with bone marrow samples helping in the case.

Family members of both victims have also been notified.

“I know daddy’s happy that this is resolved and I am too,” Graham said.

Bethel Pastor James Whited added that he’s happy the family can get closure and is hoping they’ll be connected again.

“This was what this church felt like needed to be done for these people and they are welcome here, but if families want them home, they’re welcome to go,” Whited said.
Former sheriff dedicated his life to solving murder mystery | wltx.com

It will be livestreamed on the Sumter County Sheriff's Office Facebook page. Link here. If you don't have access to Facebook, try the local news website. It's a slower news day than yesterday so there's a good chance that it will cover the conference. I've been watching it off and on because I'm practically going crazy waiting for their names and now I know more about South Carolina news than I ever wanted to.
Welcome to Ws orchidaceaes, pretty profile pic!

I just looked it up and the person (if I am not mistaken) , who had the gun in his possession, died on May 20, 1982 at the age of 63.
He survived his son, who drowned a few years, before the Sumter Does were shot.
There used to be articles on him on here. They don't show anymore. Lonnie Henry from North Carolina. Anyone find anything else on him apart from he's dead?

Bethel Pastor James Whited added that he’s happy the family can get closure and is hoping they’ll be connected again.

It absolutely broke my heart when the pastor said that the Does would still be welcome in Sumter, should their families not wish to move them. I'm glad that people in that community took care of these people no one knew.

I don't remember any more, but I guess the person, who was arrested for DUI and therefor founded the gun,died in the meantime, I think...?
It's been so long ago and thought he was older then the couple.

He died in 1982. Supposedly he had an alibi, visiting his wife in the hospital in North Carolina. Alibis aren’t worth much, but maybe it showed on hospital records, even?

I got the impression that he may have had some shady friends—maybe he’d loaned the gun to someone?

By the way, my info all comes from the first two pages of this thread. I’ve been looking at it from the start.

Last edited:
He died in 1982. Supposedly he had an alibi, visiting his wife in the hospital in North Carolina. Alibis aren’t worth much, but maybe it showed on hospital records, even?

I got the impression that he may have had some shady friends—maybe he’d loaned the gun to someone?
He was a truck driver, wasn't he?
I guess in that time, a truck stop would be the hotspot for hitchhikers?!

He was a truck driver, wasn't he?
I guess in that time, a truck stop would be the hotspot for hitchhikers?!

Lonnie wasnt the truck driver...he was the one who got pulled over with the gun. The truck driver has never been identified to my knowledge...he found the bodies. The problem with the gun is that it was passed around to many people....like somebody would owe somebody money...so the gun would be given to satisfy a debt...and apparently had been passed around so much that noone could say who had it when the murders happened.

Lonnie wasnt the truck driver...he was the one who got pulled over with the gun. The truck driver has never been identified to my knowledge...he found the bodies. The problem with the gun is that it was passed around to many people....like somebody would owe somebody money...so the gun would be given to satisfy a debt...and apparently had been passed around so much that noone could say who had it when the murders happened.
Ohh, really read on SM and a website that is dedicated to the Sumter Does, (Sumter Mystery Couple) that GLH /Lonnie was a truck driver, my mistake then, for thinking this was accurate.

I've read that he was also a truck driver, but his obituary doesn't have an occupation so no real confirmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lizakind