Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - Pamela Buckley & James P Freund #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, my question is where do we go from here? We more or less have figured out what the victims were like. We also are missing things like sightings of their car or a carjacker (or suspicious car) following them. We're more or less at a roadblock here..

In some states the probate court is known as Orphans’ Court. It doesn’t mean there is an orphaned child.

I believe that's the case in Pennsylvania because it sounds very familiar, but the article also referred the "*advertiser censored*" child.

There is just so much speculation on here. We don't know these people, what they were up to, or what kind of person each of them was based on the fact that they played ball in school or whatever else. They could have been hitchhiking to/from a car race in Florida. They could have had a vehicle and been transporting drugs or cash that they were robbed of. They did not deserve what happened to them, and I have the feeling that there is a lot more to the story.
This is MOO, but people are people. It's not much different in the 1970s and now in terms of picking up and leaving. If anything, the main difference is that 25 and 30 years old were looked at as more adult then than now. Projecting that they were free spirits probably isn't doing the truth any favors. I have not seen anyone victim bashing but only being shamed for objectively looking at options based on the facts that have come to light. She was, for all intents and purposes, divorced. He was not recently separated or out of the military. It was years prior, and he likely had two children he wasn't very active in raising, based on the fact that he hadn't checked in since Christmas and this was August. This isn't to say there wasn't PTSD or a sympathetic story. I posted earlier about the sad facts of his life. I'm not projecting positively or negatively.

This is not reflective of JPF at all, but I had a dad who's was off hitchhiking the country after having me young. He wasn't a free spirit; he was a horrible person in all ways. He is a special case, but I'm just saying it would amuse me to see people projecting a romanticized story about him wanting to find himself and being lost because he was separated without custody of his child.

Sorry for the novel. It would be nice if his ex-wife could fill in the blanks about what he was like then. It doesn't seem he had much other family.

Yes please, its only been two days since we learned their names and its gone from 'So happy they have their names back!' to 'OMG!!! they were members of an international drug cartel based around car races and were taken out by a secret cabal of professional hitmen!!!!!!!!'

Spielberg to Tarantino in less than two days.....WOW!

Sorry but I firmly believe this is a case of wrong place at the wrong time, maybe a kindness on Jim and Pams part put them in a car with a killer...Its still tragic enough. Until we know more (and... lets be honest ...we may NEVER know more) Im just happy they are going home.

Being killed by a hitman is not victim friendly. I see.
Daphne, the point is: you're getting close to crossing the line. It's been two days and your theory, with all respect, is a little bit too far fetching. We've just had an admin come and tell us to tone our private investigation down.

Well in that case I understand. I'm out then. Thx for the clarification.

I honestly wonder what might’ve happened if Pam stayed with Sunlending. She might’ve still been alive today. The sad part is, when yo I really think about it, the tragedy roots back to We Five breaking up. I don’t blame anyone here, but just what might’ve happened would be amazing. Pam might’ve become a 70s pop singer and James might’ve been able to reconnect with his kids again.

I also think this was a carjacking. James P Freund would not have been without a vehicle. He was a “car guy.” As a mechanic and car salesman, he might have had a very distinctive car or van - one that attracted the attention of a criminal. James likely paid close attention to the care and appearance of his vehicle. Like others here, I think James would have given Pam a ride.

It is possible that Jim and Pam could have pulled into an area suitable for a romantic encounter, and been accosted by either rogue LE (efficient and accurate shooting - 3 bullets per victim with a 6 cartridge revolver) or other criminal focused on victims in such a setting.

It is also possible that one or both victims were sexually assaulted, leaving evidence that could be tested for DNA if the original investigators saved it.

I think that a carjacking seems most likely, too.

Was James really a car salesman? I know his father was, but I hadn’t heard anything about what work he did when he got out of the Army. I heard that he trained as a mechanic in the army. Car sales would make sense, though—it’s a job he could step away from to travel the country, and if he’d been good at it, I’d think he could step right back into it when he ended his travels.

They could have picked up a ‘local hitchhiker’—not a long distance traveler, but just someone who needed a ride home, and had a gun in his jacket that he’d borrowed from his good friend Lonnie....

Question about LE, would they have been driving around two to a car at this era, in this place? If James and Pamela were accosted by someone in another car—there have to be two people in the other car, I think—one to drive each car away. And why would ‘rogue LE’ even make an effort to drive James’s car away—I think it’d be more risky than just leaving it there.

The news reports at the time said that Pamela hadn’t been sexually assaulted, but LE keep many things to themselves. Also, there could be evidence left, without her being physically assaulted.

If by any chance, Pamela and James WERE hitchhiking, they could have picked up hair of the driver from the car seats. And if LE collected hair evidence—I’ve heard that there’s new techniques for testing hair for DNA....

If the story of hearing shots and a car race away from the scene is actually true, and wasn’t exaggerated, does that point away from the hitman idea? (I feel very skeptical of it, anyway.) I’d think that racing away noisily points toward someone who’s NOT practiced in that sort of thing.

I also think this was a carjacking. James P Freund would not have been without a vehicle. He was a “car guy.” As a mechanic and car salesman, he might have had a very distinctive car or van - one that attracted the attention of a criminal. James likely paid close attention to the care and appearance of his vehicle. Like others here, I think James would have given Pam a ride.

It is possible that Jim and Pam could have pulled into an area suitable for a romantic encounter, and been accosted by either rogue LE (efficient and accurate shooting - 3 bullets per victim with a 6 cartridge revolver) or other criminal focused on victims in such a setting.

It is also possible that one or both victims were sexually assaulted, leaving evidence that could be tested for DNA if the original investigators saved it.
The more, I read up about James, I do think you're right, about him getting advantage of his skills and being on the road. A "car guy" like you said.
Non of their belongs are found, so my theory, is also hijacked.
"It is possible that the victims had their vehicle hijacked, possibly by hitchhikers. Then, upon their exiting the vehicle, someone shot them both in the back."
Sumter County Does ~ Everything You Need to Know with Photos | Videos

Honestly, my question is where do we go from here? We more or less have figured out what the victims were like. We also are missing things like sightings of their car or a carjacker (or suspicious car) following them. We're more or less at a roadblock here..
Well, I don’t think we go anywhere from here. The victims have their identities back, and the rest is an active homicide investigation, which we can not touch. We are done, and now we can dedicate our energies to other cases. It is hard to let go but I think it is time to do so.
I alluded the other day to Websleuthers writing soap operas based on victims’ lives. I know I am neither gatekeeper nor moderator, but I unfortunately see that happening here.

Me too. But, why kill them instead of just robbing their car? Did James fought the hijacker? Was there any sign of a struggle (bruises, etc) on James and Pam´s bodies (beside the gunshots)?
I’m sure James fought the attacker because it was his car. Remember: James was a “car guy”.

Thanks for this! Although a bit shocking for me, as I realized that I had passed this area frequently while traveling I-95 almost weekly for 8 yrs!

I-95 was the route Dad would take when we drove all the way from CT to FL east coast each year. Kind of creepy to think about us passing this crime spot!

Of course, I am very happy these two young victims got their names back, and I marvel at how some Websleuthers ID'd the Jane Doe as Pamela Buckley.

Now, I am just waiting on further developments as to who the killer is.

*sitting tight*

Why kill them instead of just robbing a car? I've been thinking about that too and came to the conclusion that some people are just simply bad people. Assholes with no regards for other people's life. Why not kill, if you have a gun and prefer not to leave any witnesses? Might just as well do. Absolutely heartbreaking how cruel some people can be.

I agree with a carjacking, but it was probably not deranged hitchhikers. This pair were on a secluded road in SC. Why would hitchhikers be there? It seems like someone saw James’s car and wanted it, so they chased him and Pam. James refused and this led to a struggle. The carjacker probably shot Pam too to avoid getting caught.

Why kill them instead of just robbing a car? I've been thinking about that too and came to the conclusion that some people are just simply bad people. Assholes with no regards for other people's life. Why not kill, if you have a gun and prefer not to leave any witnesses? Might just as well do. Absolutely heartbreaking how cruel some people can be.
Like I just said, I think James and the killer got into a fight and he led to them getting killed. :(

Me too. But, why kill them instead of just robbing their car? Did James fought the hijacker? Was there any sign of a struggle (bruises, etc) on James and Pam´s bodies (beside the gunshots)?
AFAIK there were no signs of struggle or fight on their bodies. Either they didn't fight back (maybe they didn't have any opportunity to fight back) or LE kept that information to themselves. Remember they don't have to tell us everything they know and I'm sure they know much, much more than we do.

AFAIK there were no signs of struggle or fight on their bodies. Either they didn't fight back (maybe they didn't have any opportunity to fight back) or LE kept that information to themselves. Remember they don't have to tell us everything they know and I'm sure they know much, much more than we do.
Looking at the positions of the bodies, it looks like the killer shot James first

Yeah, also maybe whoever killed them saw them as people in a vulnerable position who would be an easy target.
They were vulnerable, I have no doubt about that. The two were not locals and probably had no idea where they were. They had probably just had dinner <modsnip> only for a deranged carjacker with the urge to get James’s car. James or Pam probably saw the carjacker and they made a chase down a road, only for their fate to be sealed when the carjacker finds them. I think James then argued with the carjacker during a confrontation, which led to them getting so annoyed and frustrated that they shot james, then Pamela when she was about to flea for help.
The sad truth here is that people are evil. Some people want everything in the world, but don’t want to work for it. How could someone be so heartless?

Last edited by a moderator:
I really, really doubt that Henry Lee Lucas killed anyone besides his mother, Becky Powell, and Kate Rich. I would bet my life on it. I don't trust anything he said about this case or any UID case.

I am leaning towards carjacking at this point. Force Pamela and James out of the car, shoot them in the back, and then in the back of the head to "finish off the job". I believe if we can figure out what car they may have travelled in it could help...although in all honesty I would be unsurprised if Lonnie Henry did it, but I don't think he would have carjacked them, although I suppose someone could remember if he had a new car then that seemingly appeared out of nowhere? I honestly have no clue.

I don't think drugs were involved, never have. I'd be shocked if they were. Autopsy showed them both being drug and alcohol-free when they died. I'm also not convinced either of them were specifically targeted. This is such a strange, sad case...

With this couple now finally being ID'd - this is just the beginning of the story, MOO. I'm just as curious to find out how they met, wound up traveling together, wound up in Sumter County...

Based on the notice seeking information on the death or whereabouts of James P. Freund that was placed in the paper, it states that it was for the Orphan's Division in Lancaster County. I don't know anything about that court division. Does it mean that a child is trying to get an inheritance?
No, that is just the court which handles wills and probate for anyone in Lancaster County who dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member