Naomi Judd, of Grammy-winning duo The Judds, dies at 76

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I’m so sad to read that Naomi took her own life but at the same time I can relate. In my opinion, when our brain is “broken” per se, it can hurt so much worse than a physical illness. We are often alone in our battle because others don’t seem to really understand like they would if say cancer was the reason we couldn’t leave the house…cancel plans last minute…avoid phone calls…and so on. The mind can be so torturous and all one wants is an escape. Sometimes suicide seems to be the only relief. Sad but true. I pray for her girls and hope they have some comfort in knowing that their mom’s pain is over.

You expressed this so well @Sincerely. Her death is especially heart-breaking for those of us to whom The Judds’ music brought such joy. But she had been through so much in her life and now her pain is gone. I can relate too. Naomi was just two days older than I am. The vicissitudes of old age added to the horrible mind “games” depression plays can make you feel like such a burden to your loved ones. Not only do you desperately want personal relief, but you want to spare them that burden, so suicide can seem like an unselfish act. I totally get it. I couldn’t do it, but I get it and feel such empathy for those who succumb to those powerful feelings.

I too pray for her girls, as well as her husband, and hope they don’t feel they could have somehow “done more” to keep Naomi alive during those dark times. After I watched the video of their beautiful last performance of “Love Can Build a Bridge,” I said to my daughter (who had gone to one of their “Farewell Tour” concerts), “Love isn’t always enough to ‘build a bridge’ strong enough to help someone in the depths of depression.” May her family find peace.

I’m so sad to read that Naomi took her own life but at the same time I can relate. In my opinion, when our brain is “broken” per se, it can hurt so much worse than a physical illness. We are often alone in our battle because others don’t seem to really understand like they would if say cancer was the reason we couldn’t leave the house…cancel plans last minute…avoid phone calls…and so on. The mind can be so torturous and all one wants is an escape. Sometimes suicide seems to be the only relief. Sad but true. I pray for her girls and hope they have some comfort in knowing that their mom’s pain is over.
Well stated. Sometimes, it is not just about people not understanding, but is also about the person having the condition having great shame. That makes it hard to reach out. Many people with this condition strive to please others and have high expectations for themselves, so they have a hard time accepting their condition. I wish there was not such a stigma about mental illness. I think we all have personality types that could plunge into a "disorder" under the right conditions. We need for it to be o.k. to not be perfect.

You expressed this so well @Sincerely. Her death is especially heart-breaking for those of us to whom The Judds’ music brought such joy. But she had been through so much in her life and now her pain is gone. I can relate too. Naomi was just two days older than I am. The vicissitudes of old age added to the horrible mind “games” depression plays can make you feel like such a burden to your loved ones. Not only do you desperately want personal relief, but you want to spare them that burden, so suicide can seem like an unselfish act. I totally get it. I couldn’t do it, but I get it and feel such empathy for those who succumb to those powerful feelings.

I too pray for her girls, as well as her husband, and hope they don’t feel they could have somehow “done more” to keep Naomi alive during those dark times. After I watched the video of their beautiful last performance of “Love Can Build a Bridge,” I said to my daughter (who had gone to one of their “Farewell Tour” concerts), “Love isn’t always enough to ‘build a bridge’ strong enough to help someone in the depths of depression.” May her family find peace.
I watched the Judd's last performance at the awards and it appeared that Naomi was struggling with the words. Wynonna always had the more powerful range and voice and Naomi had tremendous harmony. I felt a tinge of sadness for her.

As a parent with a child who suffers from major depression (as well as an eating disorder), this just scares me.
Naomi Judd had the financial resources to change her surrounds at the drop of a hat - to fly off to some tropical oasis, feel the warm sun on her face, gaze out at a blue/green sea (or whatever her idea of the perfect relaxing surroundings would be). She had the financial resources to purchase whatever it was she wanted. She could go to the best doctors. The only thing she apparently had no control over was this overwhelming darkness that enveloped her. That scares me because if it could happen to Naomi Judd, and she had the world at her disposal, how much more so could it happen to my daughter? I hope what I wrote makes sense, and it doesn't sound like I am bashing Naomi Judd. I just may not be explaining myself well.

I am so, so sorry she felt this was her only option. And I'm sure, in her mind, at that time, it was. She will be missed, so much.

“I kissed her forehead and walked away” (Wynonna).

Assisted suicide that she set up without anyones knowledge? Certainly if she informed them that she was going to take a bunch of pills I would think they would have intervened?
Naomi Judd died by a self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to daughter Ashley Judd.

Ashley appeared Wednesday on "Good Morning America" to speak out about her mother's death.

"She used a weapon…my mother used a firearm," Ashley said. "So that’s the piece of information that we are very uncomfortable sharing, but understand that we’re in a position that if we don’t say it someone else is going to.

Naomi Judd died by a self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to daughter Ashley Judd.

Ashley appeared Wednesday on "Good Morning America" to speak out about her mother's death.

"She used a weapon…my mother used a firearm," Ashley said. "So that’s the piece of information that we are very uncomfortable sharing, but understand that we’re in a position that if we don’t say it someone else is going to.

I am confused by this article. Didn't Ashley hear a gunshot, and that would have alerted her {and not going upstairs to tell her mom that a friend was there?]? I guess it doesn't matter, at this point. Just wondering.

Last edited:
I am confused by this article. Didn't Ashley hear a gunshot, and that would have alerted her {and not going upstairs to tell her mom that a friend was there?]? I guess it doesn't matter, at this point. Just wondering.
I thought it seemed strange as well. I am guessing there is more to the story than they are releasing to the public. MOO

That was a very touching interview. I know it was hard but if someone reaches out for help because of it, it was worth it. Personally I'm like Wy, I don't know that I could have done the interview, a statement would be all I could handle. I do think they need to get ahead of the tabloid stories that are sure to come.

I was not in a place where I could watch the video earlier. The article does not do it justice. Bless Ashley's heart. I can only imagine how difficult this was for her to do, but her love for her mother and her family came through sooo clearly. She broke my heart, as did Wynonna's letter to her. The three of them had been through so very much. I hate that it ended like this, but I'm so grateful the sisters have each other.

Also, she explains that she went outside to greet a friend who had come to visit. I'm guessing that's why she didn't hear what happened.

Sending love and prayers to Ashley and Wynonna and their Pop.

There will be a Celebration of Life livestream Sunday evening on CMT. Can’t find the link at the moment.

I hope that Naomi has finally found peace.
My nephew committed suicide two years ago; he was 49. A few years before that, he had a thriving self-made small engine repair business - he loved it. He then suffered a stroke, and was never able to manipulate the small and fine movements necessary to do the work. One of his employees stole a large amount of cash from him, under the guise of taking care of the books for him. His wife left him, and took their two kids with her. He was heartbroken. He spent two years in therapy - physical, occupational, and mental. He, like Naomi, just got to a point where he couldn't take it anymore. He was repeatedly denied disability benefits. Without them, he couldn't pay his bills, because he could no longer work.

A few days after his death, my sister called his lawyer to let her know. The lawyer was shocked, and said that she had paperwork on her desk, saying that his disability benefits were set to be approved. She just hadn't had a chance to tell him.

My sister (his mom) was closer to him than anyone during those two years after the stroke. She took him to dr's appointments, therapy appointments, etc. They saw each other every day, and she was his 'voice of reason' when he didn't want to go to the dr, or the therapist, there to pick him up, again and again when things got too dark for him. I talked to her two days ago. She still carries a load of guilt, wondering how she didn't "see" this coming, because she's sure she could have prevented it. I truly don't think she will ever get over it. I tried to encourage her, and hope I said the right things.

Unbeknownst to me (at the time) my own child, 14 at the time, was mired in depression and had a Plan. She was going to commit suicide. Before she could act on it, my nephew (her cousin) committed suicide. I think she has PTSD from it - she can't really articulate what she means to me, anyway, but she says it really affected her badly when he chose to end his own life. Luckily, she is in therapy, and has a great counselor who is helping her.

Suicide affects family members in ways that many can't imagine. My heart breaks for Naomi's family. Mental health issues generate such stigma. We need to put a stop to that, so people can get the help they need, instead of feeling ashamed of their struggles.

I hope that Naomi has finally found peace.
My nephew committed suicide two years ago; he was 49. A few years before that, he had a thriving self-made small engine repair business - he loved it. He then suffered a stroke, and was never able to manipulate the small and fine movements necessary to do the work. One of his employees stole a large amount of cash from him, under the guise of taking care of the books for him. His wife left him, and took their two kids with her. He was heartbroken. He spent two years in therapy - physical, occupational, and mental. He, like Naomi, just got to a point where he couldn't take it anymore. He was repeatedly denied disability benefits. Without them, he couldn't pay his bills, because he could no longer work.

A few days after his death, my sister called his lawyer to let her know. The lawyer was shocked, and said that she had paperwork on her desk, saying that his disability benefits were set to be approved. She just hadn't had a chance to tell him.

My sister (his mom) was closer to him than anyone during those two years after the stroke. She took him to dr's appointments, therapy appointments, etc. They saw each other every day, and she was his 'voice of reason' when he didn't want to go to the dr, or the therapist, there to pick him up, again and again when things got too dark for him. I talked to her two days ago. She still carries a load of guilt, wondering how she didn't "see" this coming, because she's sure she could have prevented it. I truly don't think she will ever get over it. I tried to encourage her, and hope I said the right things.

Unbeknownst to me (at the time) my own child, 14 at the time, was mired in depression and had a Plan. She was going to commit suicide. Before she could act on it, my nephew (her cousin) committed suicide. I think she has PTSD from it - she can't really articulate what she means to me, anyway, but she says it really affected her badly when he chose to end his own life. Luckily, she is in therapy, and has a great counselor who is helping her.

Suicide affects family members in ways that many can't imagine. My heart breaks for Naomi's family. Mental health issues generate such stigma. We need to put a stop to that, so people can get the help they need, instead of feeling ashamed of their struggles.

Thanks for sharing your experience, it’s a brave thing to do. Each person who shares adds to more info getting circulated. The stigma associated with suicide has been detrimental. Fortunately I haven’t had any experience with it but I’m sensitive to the reality of it. I hope things go well for your daughter.

I was not in a place where I could watch the video earlier. The article does not do it justice. Bless Ashley's heart. I can only imagine how difficult this was for her to do, but her love for her mother and her family came through sooo clearly. She broke my heart, as did Wynonna's letter to her. The three of them had been through so very much. I hate that it ended like this, but I'm so grateful the sisters have each other.

Also, she explains that she went outside to greet a friend who had come to visit. I'm guessing that's why she didn't hear what happened.

Sending love and prayers to Ashley and Wynonna and their Pop.
I remember that they were around her at the hospital. That is when WY kissed her forehead. It made me think she may not have died instantly but been severely injured. Ashley said in her anguish she was seen and heard and walked to heaven. Again. that makes me think she lingered for awhile after shooting herself or was put on life support and they were reading the Bible around her as she was dying. A headshot that does not kill immediately would .ost likely b3 a low caliber like a 22 which is not very loud...especially I. another room with tvs playing.

I remember that they were around her at the hospital. That is when WY kissed her forehead. It made me think she may not have died instantly but been severely injured. Ashley said in her anguish she was seen and heard and walked to heaven. Again. that makes me think she lingered for awhile after shooting herself or was put on life support and they were reading the Bible around her as she was dying. A headshot that does not kill immediately would .ost likely b3 a low caliber like a 22 which is not very loud...especially I. another room with tvs playing.
I believe this may be what happened. Ashley said she wanted to save their last private moments for them and that her mother deserved dignity. Maybe they had to make a family decision to take her off of life support and let her go.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
detconan
Back