National List Of Problem Teachers Is Now Public

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm not familiar with the Lanfray murders, I'll have to look that up. I was thinking more Ernest Hemingway, existentialism, smoky Paris cafes...

The Lanfray murders were the major impetus for the ban of absinthe.

Hey hey, settle. (ha ha, I broke up a fight between some kids yeasterday using the same phrase)

During the 1960s and 1970s, teachers were well paid. However, computers brought a 24 hour a day society, and many companies literally robbed the educational system by offering $$$ to teachers. Many math, science, and business teachers defected. I can remember many defectors that I personally knew and cannot blame them. The truth is that although many teachers were dedicated, a man/woman needs to first think of their family.

Truthfully, IMO the educational profession no longer appeals to the best and brightest in our society. Again, it's about money and supporting yourself and your family.

I hear you and I don't blame them either. My dad and stepmom were in education for years (though not as teachers) and I know what teachers are expected to do for the money! Unbelievable.

That's not to say we don't have excellent teachers who are literally "called" to the profession despite the fact that they can make more doing something else.

If we cared enough, though, we would fight dollars with dollars!

Oh, please...........financial "misconduct?" I am a teacher and am severly underpaid. I did not pay my student loan payment last month. Should that be public knowledge? Without due process this information should not be made public. Lack of privacy for me is just one step away from lack of privacy for you....and you wonder why the average teacher stays in the field only 5 years??
Get over yourselves....you have no right to my financial information..I teach kids you'd never go near....we are going down a very dangerous road with the mob mentality and lack of privacy.....
The information in the files consists of teachers behind on student loans..not teachers "skimming." And by the way, how would we skim? We have no access to district funds...we don't handle money... As usual, the actual culprits, the district beauracrats who waste money left and right are not your target...its always the people with the least power you go after......

"Holding a license is a privilege?" I worked for that license and paid college tuition for that license. It is not a privilege, I earned it..............the next time you speed I think your license should be revoked...after all, you easily could have killed someone........

ok, but on the flip side... my patients would LOVE to be able to know everything about me if I did something wrong before I stick my needle in their booties. seriously. that's too protect their own health.
if i am going to send my MOST precious possession to you, by God, then if there is any license revoking reason to have on record... it had better be made public (those same reasons are the reasons why nurses can be revoked also). i worry about that MORE than my own health!! its almost like... mess with me, fine... you mess with my baby, i'm comin after ya!

The Lanfray murders were the major impetus for the ban of absinthe.

Well then, I'll have to read up on them! ;)

Trino, I agree with a lot of what you say. Many of my friends and family were surprised when I decided to go into teaching. I was always considered the smart one, the rising star. I mainly did it because I'm selfish...I love teenagers and I love literature and I love my job!

I mentioned this before but did not get any feedback. As I hold a CA state license to sell real estate, you can look up any and all disciplinary action on the DRE website. If I don't pay my dues on time my license can be suspended and that will show up as disciplinary action. What do I care? It is the same for many professions. Why would this be so bad with teaching? I am trying to read the posts and understand where the outrage is coming from but I don't get it.
Regarding the financial misconduct that was in refernce to teachers that failed to pay back their student loans.

i am too. its all on there. this is just like instead of going state to state you can go to one place and see all licenses held and all action taken? is that my understanding?

ok, but on the flip side... my patients would LOVE to be able to know everything about me if I did something wrong before I stick my needle in their booties. seriously. that's too protect their own health.
if i am going to send my MOST precious possession to you, by God, then if there is any license revoking reason to have on record... it had better be made public (those same reasons are the reasons why nurses can be revoked also). i worry about that MORE than my own health!! its almost like... mess with me, fine... you mess with my baby, i'm comin after ya!

I'm more concerned with my kids than my health too. If most of our society felt this way, we would pay teachers at least as much as we pay doctors.

When I retired, I had 20 years of experience and a Master's. I still only made $51,000. That is sad.

If you worked on LI you would be making very close to $100,000 a year at 20 years, with full medical and a pension that pays 90% of your salary when you retire. Not a bad gig.

I'm more concerned with my kids than my health too. If most of our society felt this way, we would pay teachers at least as much as we pay doctors.
i have to say though, i do work with the KIDS, so they are very concerned with it as well... so i may be working on the other side of the spectrum too...
i always tell parents "thats your baby" and tell them to take control of the situation, ask questions, gather information, and if they don't like the way a situation is being handled, say something. even with me (if i'm their nurse that day - sometimes we all have an off day). because that is their baby, and if they feel like something isn't being done "right"... we have to know... its the same thing in the classroom or at school. i mean, if i had a nurse who i thought was bad and was taking care of my kid regularly.... same thing. i would probably go and look them up! i expect it to be the same way with a teacher, i guess... if you are having a problem, say something, find out what is going on. if that involves looking at their record, then by all means, do so. and we hold licenses just like teachers. i expect all of that to be public. you can get your license yanked if you don't pay your taxes in my state (as an RN). hope all that made sense.

Not bad for working only 6 months a year. :D

It's ten, actually, with about two weeks additionally during the other three months for training and classroom preparation.

It's a good point that teachers do not actually work full year, but the time during the actual school year is far more than you might think.

I come from a LONG line of teachers on both sides and am married to a special ed teacher. I myself am in a licensed profession as well.

There are certain professions that have the public trust and which we as a society hold to a greater standard than the public at large. Due to that public trust, the public has more of a right to know about actions taken by the teacher/doctor/lawyer/agent which are against the rules of that license. In licensing, the public has made a choice to regulate the profession and hold it to that higher standard.

When I was licensed, I agree to pay dues, do continuing education, conduct myself and my business to a certain standard, and abide by the ethics of my profession. If I do not do that, I must go before my licensing agency and face disciplinary action. That action is public open record.

I made the choice to go into this profession (which by the way is NOT publicly-funded) and I've chosen to conform to the terms of my license. I could have stuck with my previous career in technology consulting and not have been held to this higher standard. I chose it and it was a free choice. Teachers have the same choice.

Oh, please...........financial "misconduct?" I am a teacher and am severly underpaid. I did not pay my student loan payment last month. Should that be public knowledge? Without due process this information should not be made public. Lack of privacy for me is just one step away from lack of privacy for you....and you wonder why the average teacher stays in the field only 5 years??
Get over yourselves....you have no right to my financial information..I teach kids you'd never go near....we are going down a very dangerous road with the mob mentality and lack of privacy.....
The information in the files consists of teachers behind on student loans..not teachers "skimming." And by the way, how would we skim? We have no access to district funds...we don't handle money... As usual, the actual culprits, the district beauracrats who waste money left and right are not your target...its always the people with the least power you go after......

"Holding a license is a privilege?" I worked for that license and paid college tuition for that license. It is not a privilege, I earned it..............the next time you speed I think your license should be revoked...after all, you easily could have killed someone........

I understand the troubles of finding good teachers. Hubby is a special ed teacher - handling the kids that the public schools can't deal with - dual diagnosis - and he does it at a facility which is year round and still pays less than public schools... and don't even get me started on the insurance.

However, you (and he) paid college tuition with federal money, which taxpayers subsidized for you. If you went to a public school, your state taxpayers subsidized most of your tuition. Any college you attended likely took research dollars - again a taxpayer subsidy. Society invested in you and you are giving back.

Likewise, society has entrusted you by allowing you to practice an honored profession with an extraordinary amount of influence over young people. To ensure you are worthy of that trust, you've made a promise to hold yourself to a higher standard.

BTW - If I speed continuously with my driver's license, it can be revoked.

Does your school board know you post on websites under the name of an illegal strongly alcoholic drink? :crazy: :p

In my profession, we have been warned to carefully restrict our Myspace/Facebook/etc. pages. I know there are students who have been busted with underage drinking, etc. b/c of their Facebook postings. Hopefully, teachers also realize that this issue may come back around to them as well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AtroRed
Back