Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though the Judge says bribery amount paid doesn’t factor into sentence, it obviously does. Lori and her husband are each looking at approximately a year in prison if they don’t get off their high horses and plead guilty ASAP.

Even though the Judge says bribery amount paid doesn’t factor into sentence, it obviously does. Lori and her husband are each looking at approximately a year in prison if they don’t get off their high horses and plead guilty ASAP.
That & the fact that he...
-involved his kid in fraud
-expressed no remorse

Unfortunately, I don’t think 95K hurts much to a guy who paid 250K for admission.

I think Thursday’s sentence will be even more severe. He took all the same actions PLUS sued the college to protect his kid’s credits. Prosecutor likened that to killing your parents, then claiming you’re a victim because you’re an orphan.

Hoping for harsh on Th!

I think he means it doesn't matter in respect of calculating/guessing any fines that are levied. I don't think he means it doesn't matter for sentencing purposes. I have this thought because we do have different jurisdictions with monetary thresholds for what is petit vs. grand larceny; and the latter gets you more prison time.

I think doing it for TWO girls should also make a difference. It's two separate instances and crimes. At least Felicity backed off on her own and didn't go through it again with her second daughter.

Lori and Moss knew what they were doing, processed what they were doing, and thought it was so awesome, they wanted to do it again with the younger daughter, and did. That is so much worse to me. It wasn't one moment of weakness. They repeated the whole process.

I think doing it for TWO girls should also make a difference. It's two separate instances and crimes. At least Felicity backed off on her own and didn't go through it again with her second daughter.

Lori and Moss knew what they were doing, processed what they were doing, and thought it was so awesome, they wanted to do it again with the younger daughter, and did. That is so much worse to me. It wasn't one moment of weakness. They repeated the whole process.
I absolutely agree. This Judge is being very lenient IMO to those that have plead guilty. It could be a whole different ball game for those that fight it and are found to be guilty. They’re playing Russian roulette and my bet is that their defense attorneys have already sent them a “notwithstanding the above” type letter that explains they will try to get them off but they can’t and won’t guarantee a “not guilty” verdict.

^ But, they were donating funds for a library ! Such donations required fake photos of their girls in rowing machines and paying a 1/2 million $ to a Singer "charity fund", not to USC itself of course! :rolleyes:

Chris Villani on Twitter

There are 9 more parents who pled guilty in the college admissions case and are set to be sentenced before Judge Talwani. So far the government is 2-for-2 in successfully arguing for prison time.

This, of course, does not include Lori Loughlin and Mossimo Giannulli, who are still fighting the charges. Their case is before a different judge.

That & the fact that he...
-involved his kid in fraud
-expressed no remorse

Unfortunately, I don’t think 95K hurts much to a guy who paid 250K for admission.

I think Thursday’s sentence will be even more severe. He took all the same actions PLUS sued the college to protect his kid’s credits. Prosecutor likened that to killing your parents, then claiming you’re a victim because you’re an orphan.

Hoping for harsh on Th!
I agree, I think Thursday's sentence may be more severe as well. Prosecutors recommended 18 months in prison, when for most of the other parents who pled guilty, they proposed one year and one day or incarceration at the low end of the Guidelines sentencing range. So this seems to be the case they find the most egregious crime.

Next up - Thursday, 9/26 - Stephen Semprevivo.

Does anyone know about Judge Mary Page Kelley, how she tends to sentence?
Oh wait, these are jury proceedings.
I hope the jury is mindful and rational in the Lori/Moss case, and unswayable by defense tactics.

Caroline Connolly
@CConnNBCBoston

·
11m
Defense is up and Judge Talwani is already pressing them on one of their sentence recommendations—-2,000 hours of community service.

11m
Judge: Why is it punitive to engage in community service? Defense: It basically means that you’re going to have a second job.

9m
Judge: He’s engaged in all aspects of community service...now you’re saying I should order him to do more of that as his punishment.

7m
We saw this kind of pushback from Judge Talwani with Huffman, who also already did considerable community service. “I think it’s a good part of rehabilitation, I don’t really see it as punishment.”

BBM. For this defense to talk about doing community service is basically a second job (Hey, lots of people in the world NEED a second job.) while he already extolled his community service shows that the defendant and his lawyers don't have any real remorse. This reminds me of the era when kids would go to developing nations and volunteer at a school/community for a couple of days and, then, go to a beach resort for a week while calling it a service trip and claiming many hours of service. It is ridiculous and tone deaf to the idea of punishment. I would argue it is not even rehabilitation but rather a duty that those who have more in their life---money, opportunity and intellectual means---- should do to help elevate others who have less than they do. Arrrggghhhhhh! I think this man should have gotten no community service and more jail time.

The judge agreed with you on it being completely tone deaf. Unreal. The defense's "proposal" to have private school kids work with the Special Olympics is mind-boggling to me. Wait, so why should random private school kids be helping him with his community service?

And, also the Special Olympics is amazing and shouldn't even be considered community service. Geez what did those kids do?? Don't they overcome enough challenges? Sure let's force elite little brats on them so they can have self-serving personal growth experiences or something. Not to mention, give them wonderful bullet points about their devoted volunteer work to list on their resumes or college admission applications!!!

How about leave the Special Olympics work for wonderful, amazing volunteers who willingly make a choice to be there - not some private school kids who got this pawned off on to them from some guy trying to avoid jail time!

Are these really the best lawyers someone who can spend $250,000 on a college admission scam can find?? No one on the legal team stopped at any point and said, you know, this sounds ridiculous?

Justin Dougherty on Twitter

Judge snapped at Defense saying Sloane’s community service proposal is “as tone deaf” as she’s heard. Defense wants Sloane to “create a bridge” between private school kids & the Special Olympics. The judge says private school students are not the victims in this case. #7News

more tweets from Sloane's court appearance yesterday:

Caroline Connolly
18h
One interesting aspect of these sentencing, thus far, is that Judge Talwani is imposing higher fines than even prosecutors have sought. Huffman got $30,000. Sloane just got $95,000.

18h
Judge Talwani talked about this today, asking prosecutors why the sentencing guidelines make Huffman pay a fine higher than her bribe of $15,000. Meanwhile, Sloane paid a $250,000 bribe but they asked he be fined $95,000.

@KirkCarapezza
18h
In addressing the court, Devin Sloane says he understands many see this as a case of privilege and arrogance. “I think about that a lot and it repulses me,” Sloane says. “I’ve tried to do what’s best for my son.”

18h
Judge Talwani wonders whether parents like Sloane are securing spots at selective colleges for their kids or whether they’re doing it for their own status.

19h
The defense has pivoted and is now saying Devin Sloane only committed a crime because Rick Singer invited him to. “Mr. Sloane is a good man who made a mistake.”

19h
“Everyone has something negative to say about him,” Sloane’s attorney says.

19h
Sloane’s attorney is now ticking off a laundry list of how the LA businessman has already served a punishment, including the loss of his reputation and “tremendously negative media coverage.” The defense cites 72.5 million Google hits on his name tied to the Varsity Blues case.

Joey Garrison
@joeygarrison

19h
Rosen also says Sloane has shown no remorse, while Huffman did. He also adds: "Some kid out here did not get to go to USC because of the defendant." The same was not the case with Huffman, who participated in the test-cheating scam, not the recruitment scheme.

Kirk Carapezza
@KirkCarapezza

19h
Defense says 2,000 hours of community service is punitive and excessive. Judge Talwani openly wonders, “Why is it punitive to engage in community service?”
19h
The courtroom’s interns, many of whom engage in community service to get into college, are laughing.

@DoughertyJC
18h
Judge examining Sloane’s words. She takes issue w/ him saying: “I wanted to do what was best for my child.” She says it’s not an excuse because the crime isn’t about food, water or shelter. Or even just a college degree. It’s about privilege. #collegeadmissionsscandal #7News

@DoughertyJC
18h
Sloane speaking now to the judge. His voice is shaky: “The crime I committed is unacceptable.” “I wanted the best for my son.” “I profoundly apologize to my son and the parents and students who feel betrayed by me.”
@KirkCarapezza
20h
Rosen says Sloane used his dead mother as a prop for a fake donation and expressed outrage when high school counselors questioned why his son who did not play water polo was being recruited to play college water polo.

Justin Dougherty
@DoughertyJC

VIDEO: Devin Sloane walks out of court in #Boston. He's been sentenced to 4 months in prison, 2 yrs. of supervised release, a $95K fine and 500 hrs. of community service. He's the 2nd parent in the #CollegeAdmissionsScandal to be sentenced. He reports to prison 12/3/19. #7News
Justin Dougherty on Twitter

Does anyone know why Huffman and Sloan don’t report to prison for two or three months after their sentence? Is that common, and I wonder what the reason is. TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSlice