Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was glad the judge shut that down.
I am reminded once again at the tone deafness of the lawyers in some of these cases. Would they have agreed to a larger fine and sentence if there was an AA tennis player? They would not have. Why bring it up? I makes their client appear remorseless, clueless and racist.

In college admissions scam, a parent's 'victim' claim fails. Stephen Semprevivo gets 4 months in prison

In a memo filed in advance of Thursday’s sentencing hearing, Semprevivo’s attorney, David Kenner, made his client out as a nearly helpless victim of Singer’s criminal overtures.

“It is undisputed that Rick Singer prayed [sic] on Stephen, and parents like him, in his 25-million-dollar racketeering bonanza, that to some real extent makes Stephen a victim,” Kenner wrote.

Kenner claimed that because Semprevivo came from a “world of successful businessmen and professionals,” he was a particularly easy target for Singer because he was predisposed “to fixate unreasonably on a degree from Georgetown” and view admission to an elite school as “the holy grail.”

“Once targeted, Singer drew them in, parted them from their money and made them complicit in his scheme,” Kenner wrote of parents who conspired with Singer.

Kenner claimed Singer steered Semprevivo’s son away from less prestigious schools and then told the father and son the chances of getting admitted to Georgetown were slim unless they paid him for his illicit access.

In the memo, Kenner acknowledged Semprevivo knowingly went along with the plan but claimed the father was driven by fear. To bolster his claim, he attached a report from a criminologist Semprevivo’s defense team hired. The report included an excerpt from a meeting Semprevivo had with a psychologist.

“Rick had a volatile personality. I was afraid of him. I kept thinking what would happen if he erupted, if we pulled out,” Semprevivo allegedly said. “I don’t know if I feared him physically, but I do recall him saying, ‘Don’t make me chase you for the money.’ That was a scary thing to hear him say. So I felt trapped, that I couldn’t back out.”

In college admissions scam, a parent's 'victim' claim fails. Stephen Semprevivo gets 4 months in prison

In a memo filed in advance of Thursday’s sentencing hearing, Semprevivo’s attorney, David Kenner, made his client out as a nearly helpless victim of Singer’s criminal overtures.

It is undisputed that Rick Singer prayed [sic] on Stephen, and parents like him, in his 25-million-dollar racketeering bonanza, that to some real extent makes Stephen a victim,” Kenner wrote.

Kenner claimed that because Semprevivo came from a “world of successful businessmen and professionals,” he was a particularly easy target for Singer because he was predisposed “to fixate unreasonably on a degree from Georgetown” and view admission to an elite school as “the holy grail.”

“Once targeted, Singer drew them in, parted them from their money and made them complicit in his scheme,” Kenner wrote of parents who conspired with Singer.

Kenner claimed Singer steered Semprevivo’s son away from less prestigious schools and then told the father and son the chances of getting admitted to Georgetown were slim unless they paid him for his illicit access.

In the memo, Kenner acknowledged Semprevivo knowingly went along with the plan but claimed the father was driven by fear. To bolster his claim, he attached a report from a criminologist Semprevivo’s defense team hired. The report included an excerpt from a meeting Semprevivo had with a psychologist.

“Rick had a volatile personality. I was afraid of him. I kept thinking what would happen if he erupted, if we pulled out,” Semprevivo allegedly said. “I don’t know if I feared him physically, but I do recall him saying, ‘Don’t make me chase you for the money.’ That was a scary thing to hear him say. So I felt trapped, that I couldn’t back out.”

BBM- They just don’t get it! Atty is as tone deaf as his greedy client.

ALREADY SENTENCED:

John VANDEMOER - Conspiracy to commit racketeering
One day incarceration (deemed served); Two years of supervised release with the first six months to be served in home detention; $10,000 fine

Felicity HUFFMAN - Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud
14 days in prison; One year of supervised release; 250 hours of community service; $30,000 fine

Devin SLOANE - Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud
Four months in prison; Two years of supervised release; 500 hours of community service; Fine of $95,000

WHAT'S NEXT
Numerous status conferences on 10/1 and 10/2.
Gordon CAPLAN - 10/3/19 at 2:30 pm – Sentencing hearing before Judge Talwani.
Agustin HUNEEUS Jr. - 10/4/19 at 2:30 pm – Sentencing hearing before Judge Talwani.

Investigations of College Admissions and Testing Bribery Scheme

@JHall7news
1m
Nature of the offense: the recruitment scheme's purpose was to gain a specific spot in the university, not change test scores. "they're both fraud...both violate the same statute.." But she does see it more serious buying a specific spot. There's a different order of magnitude.

Interesting that the judge noted the difference. I agree with that. The parents that used the fake athlete route to buy a spot feels worse to me than the cheating/changing of test scores, even though they are both clearly fraud and unethical.

WAIT, WHAT??!!! What kind of defense is that you were "predisposed to fixate unreasonably on a degree from Georgetown”

I'm sorry, I can't wrap my head around this one.

“It is undisputed that Rick Singer prayed [sic] on Stephen, and parents like him, in his 25-million-dollar racketeering bonanza, that to some real extent makes Stephen a victim,” Kenner wrote.

Rick had a volatile personality. I was afraid of him. I kept thinking what would happen if he erupted, if we pulled out,” Semprevivo allegedly said. “I don’t know if I feared him physically, but I do recall him saying, ‘Don’t make me chase you for the money.’ That was a scary thing to hear him say. So I felt trapped, that I couldn’t back out.”[/QUOTE]

Driven by fear!? Oh cry me a river. SMH

@JHall7news
1m
Nature of the offense: the recruitment scheme's purpose was to gain a specific spot in the university, not change test scores. "they're both fraud...both violate the same statute.." But she does see it more serious buying a specific spot. There's a different order of magnitude.

Interesting that the judge noted the difference. I agree with that. The parents that used the fake athlete route to buy a spot feels worse to me than the cheating/changing of test scores, even though they are both clearly fraud and unethical.
That part caught me too!
But I disagree with the Judge on that. Altered test scores adversely impact far more people than buying one spot on a tennis/ water polo/ rowing team. I think it’s a greater fraud. It impacts millions of scholarships (billions of dollars) that are set by those scores. Skews/ screws all the stats & threshold numbers. MOO

That part caught me too!
But I disagree with the Judge on that. Altered test scores adversely impact far more people than buying one spot on a tennis/ water polo/ rowing team. I think it’s a greater fraud. It impacts millions of scholarships (billions of dollars) that are set by those scores. Skews/ screws all the stats & threshold numbers. MOO
I agree with you that it more impacts the whole system. I think test cheating just sounds so "basic" to me - hiring graphic designers to photoshop athlete profiles and bribe coaches seems so like so much more effort and so scam-y! You have a good point that test scores impact more than just a few spots on some club sports.

I'm still stuck on this predisposed to fixate unreasonably on a degree from Georgetown thing!! So if someone works in NYC for example and has always been surrounded by fashionably dressed people, can they shoplift a handbag and claim they were predisposed to fixate unreasonably on a Louis Vuitton bag?

I agree with you that it more impacts the whole system. I think test cheating just sounds so "basic" to me - hiring graphic designers to photoshop athlete profiles and bribe coaches seems so like so much more effort and so scam-y! You have a good point that test scores impact more than just a few spots on some club sports.

I'm still stuck on this predisposed to fixate unreasonably on a degree from Georgetown thing!! So if someone works in NYC for example and has always been surrounded by fashionably dressed people, can they shoplift a handbag and claim they were predisposed to fixate unreasonably on a Louis Vuitton bag?
Lol- YES. And then say you are a victim- maybe even seek damages- because they shouldn’t display those pretty ‘spensive handbags knowing full well that there could be fixating shoppers strolling by!:D

I hear what you’re say’n w the effort involved in buying all that online equipment, photoshopping, & explaining to the HS guideance counselors why your kid’s getting recruited for something they’ve never done. But those test scores- absolutely everybody is impacted by that.

I hope laws are passed after this that all guideance counselors/teachers/ coaches/administrators are REQUIRED to report recruiting correspondence that raises the eyebrows. Just like reporting child abuse or neglect. Mandatory reporting. JMO

From the “Two Part-Time Jobs” article...
“It already sounds like she’s [Huffman’s daughter] being way more proactive than other students who fell victim to the admissions scheme.”

I hardly think LL’s kids were “victims” when they actively participated in the fraud scheme. Eyeroll.

As to OJ waiting for the time to be right to resurrect her social influencer career- good luck. First, her PARENTS clearly don’t care what this will do to their kids’ futures or they would have pled guilty to get it over & done with a long time ago. Second, few people are ever going to care to view future OJ posts- or allow their young teens to “follow” her. It’s time for her to get a real goal & a real job. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper