Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agustin HUNEEUS Jr. will be sentenced today.

Prosecutors are recommending a sentence of 15 months in prison and a $95,000 fine. His lawyers say he deserves two months and a fine.

Huneeus has said he’s ashamed and sees that his actions represent "the worst sort of entitlement."

In letter to judge, Napa Valley vintner in college admissions scheme writes of 'shame,' asks for leniency

Bay Area Parent to Be Sentenced in Admissions Case

Prosecutors alleged Huneeus worked with a key figure in the scheme, in which the wine executive agreed to pay $50,000 to a corrupt test proctor to allow his daughter to cheat on her SAT exam. He also agreed to pay $250,000 to help her gain admission at the University of Southern California as a water polo recruit on scholarship, even though she wasn’t qualified to play at the collegiate level. His daughter, a former student at Marin Academy, received conditional acceptance from USC on Nov. 7, 2018, but never was admitted to the university. He actually paid $100,000 before the admissions scheme unraveled.

Prosecutors contended that Huneeus’ actions went beyond the others in the bribery scheme, especially because he was involved in the SAT exam cheating, as well as the admissions bribery over a full two-year period.

After his arrest in March, Huneeus stepped down as owner and operator of Napa-based Huneeus Vintners, which owns the Quintessa brand, and Flowers Vineyards and Winery in Healdsburg. He relinquished control to his 86-year-old father, Agustin C. Huneeus, who had retired from the wine empire that he created as a Chilean immigrant who previously had operated global wine brands. In July, Nick Withers, a veteran of Constellation Brands Inc., was hired as president of Huneeus Vintners. The younger Huneeus gave up control of the family business because his arrest placed the company’s license to produce and sell wine in jeopardy. He’s been free on $1 million bail since the arrest.

In the court filing Friday that included Huneeus’ personal letter, his lawyers included 39 additional letters to the judge written by family, friends and business associates vouching for his character. The attorneys wrote that Huneeus is a family man who raised four daughters with his wife, Maca, and he is taking responsibility for his actions that are “wholly out of step with the person he has been and continues to be.”

In his letter, Huneeus wrote, “During the past months I have daydreamed about giving up and moving to a different place so I don’t have to confront the shame I feel when I run into someone I know here. But for the sake of my daughters and my wonderful and supporting wife I know I have to come back from this.”

In her letter to the judge, Maca Huneeus urged Talwani to “make this case constructive and just not about bringing a man lower when he’s already been brought down to his lowest.”

“This is an enormous personal loss, of course not only of livelihood, but also of the involvement in the only industry he has really ever known,” his lawyers wrote.

The attorneys acknowledged there “may be opportunities” for Huneeus to reapply for a winery license in the future, but the earliest time frame would be five years.

Meanwhile, prosecutors alleged Huneeus repeatedly lied to Marin Academy’s school counselors regarding when his daughter could take the SAT, so he could make sure she took the exam in Los Angeles at a testing site controlled by the mastermind of the admissions scheme, William “Rick” Singer.

After he wasn’t satisfied with his daughter’s score on the SAT, Huneeus discussed with Singer whether it was possible to cheat on the SAT and the ACT test, a separate college exam, prosecutors alleged.

Huneeus was determined for his daughter to get accepted to USC with a water polo scholarship even though he conceded in a phone call with Singer that she “was not worthy to be on that team,” prosecutors alleged.

As the scheme developed, Huneeus dragged his daughter into it, instructing her to maintain a “keep-your-trap-shut mentality,” about the matter during an Oct. 8, 2018, meeting with Singer.

Chris Villani
@ChrisVillani44

3m
Due to the keyboard ban, I'm in a press room for the sentencing of "Varsity Blues" parent Agustin Francisco Huneeus. The feds will ask for 15 months in prison, he will ask for 2. He pled guilty to paying $300K to falsify his daughter's SAT & have her fraudulently recruited USC

Chris Villani
@ChrisVillani44

2m
The government is asking for more time for Huneeus because he pled guilty to taking part in both aspects of the Varsity Blues scheme, test fraud and fraudulent recruiting.

Justin Dougherty
@DoughertyJC

3m
When Huneeus paid $200K for daughter to be a "USC water polo recruit." He was worried she was not qualified. He said to the mastermind, “You understand that she is not worthy to be on that team... any risk this thing blows up in my face?" #collegeadmissionsscandal #7News
EGDf4CBXYAIPZRI

Justin Dougherty
@DoughertyJC

16m
SOON: CA vineyard owner Agustin Huneeus will become the 4th parent sentenced in the #collegeadmissionsscandal. He paid $250,000 to have a proctor correct his daughter’s answers on the SAT & then he helped make a fake water polo profile so she could get into USC. #7News
EGDc2QjXoAA-X1H

Chris Villani
@ChrisVillani44

20s
Justin O'Connell is arguing for the gov't, he says Huneeus is a repeat player & one of the most active players. "He knew what he wanted, that was a fraudulent advantage for his daughter, he knew how to get it, and he pushed for that result."

Justin Dougherty
@DoughertyJC

2m
US Attorney ends his brief emphatically: This defendant “deserves the longest sentence out of anyone” involved in this scheme. The attorney previously said, “The conspiracy came naturally for this defendant.” #collegeadmissionsscandal #7News

Chris Villani
@ChrisVillani44

6m
O'Connell, a Syracuse grad, tells Judge Indira Talwani that Huneeus was not satisfied after a $50K bribe resulted in a 1480 SAT for his daughter, he then agreed to pay another $250K to create a fake athletic profile for her. "Lying came naturally to Mr. Huneeus."

Chris Villani
@ChrisVillani44

3m
O'Connell said Huneeus had no line he would not cross, including repeatedly using his daughter to further the scheme. "He was the one who ordered his daughter to conceal the fraud, he told her to have a 'keep your trap shut' mentality.”

Justin Dougherty
@DoughertyJC

10m
US Attorney starts his brief: “This defendant is the only parent to participate in the exam cheating & the side door scheme... he was a repeat player.” #collegeadmissionsscandal #7News

Last edited:
Chris Villani
@ChrisVillani44

52s
Judge Talwani asks whether what Huneeus did is "four times" worse than the other defendants, noting the 4-month prison term given to 2 LA execs. O'Connell says Huneeus is worse and going above the guideline range is warranted here.

Justin Dougherty
@DoughertyJC

36s
The US Attorney argues Huneeus deserves a longer prison sentence because he wanted to involved his other daughter. US attorney says Huneeus “offered to use her” because his daughters look alike.

Chris Villani
@ChrisVillani44

3m
The government sent the full audio of Huneeus' convos with Singer to Huneeus last night, a result of Judge Talwani's order yesterday during the Gordon Caplan sentencing. His lawyer, Jeremy Sternberg, said full tapes show Huneeus wrestled with whether to go along with the scheme.

@ChrisVillani44
37s
Judge Talwani said it makes a difference if a parent puts their child in harm's way. "Something ostensibly for their child’s interest put the child in a position where they would worry the government could be prosecuting them for a felony."

Chris Villani
@ChrisVillani44

7m
Sternberg argues that the essence of the case is "taking a spot from someone else," which didn't happen here (because Huneeus was arrested). Also, even though he agreed to pay $300K, he only actually paid $100K before his arrest, the lawyer argued.

Chris Villani
@ChrisVillani44

1m
Sternberg says Huneeus will suffer more than many other defendants because he owns a wine business and there are state and federal restrictions against felons holding alcoholic beverage licenses.

Justin Dougherty
@DoughertyJC

26s
Huneeus’ attorney says his client’s CA wine business/vineyard has been “suffering” since his crime. The attorney is asking the judge for a much lighter sentence compared to what the government is recommending.

Chris Villani
@ChrisVillani44

4m
Huneeus' turn to speak: "Today is a hard day, a super hard day. After you sentence me, the rest of my life begins. I want more than anything to pay for my crime and atone for the harm I have caused."

Justin Dougherty
@DoughertyJC

3m
JUST NOW: Huneeus to the judge: “The consequences of my crime have been devastating for my friends and family.” “I’m sorry & I will be better.” “I am deeply ashamed.”

Chris Villani
@ChrisVillani44

2m
Judge Talwani said the fact that Huneeus' daughter did not get in is not a "game changer" for her & she was bothered by the fact that he went ahead with the fraud after the daughter learned of it

Chris Villani
@ChrisVillani44

1m
#Breaking Agustin Francisco Huneeus is sentenced to 5 months in prison, the longest prison term handed out in the "Varsity Blues" college admissions case to date. He is also fined $100K and will do 500 hours of community service.

500 hours of "Community Service". That will be the day. He will cut a big check to some charity, and a board member will sign off on his hours.

I have seen it done many times.

2 sentencing hearings tomorrow, first time husband and wife:

WHAT'S NEXT

Gregory ABBOTT
- 10/8/19 at 2:30 pm – Sentencing hearing before Judge Talwani.
Marcia ABBOTT - 10/8/19 at 2:30 pm – Sentencing hearing before Judge Talwani
Peter Jan SARTORIO - 10/11/19 at 2:30 pm – Sentencing hearing before Judge Talwani.

ALREADY SENTENCED:

John VANDEMOER - Conspiracy to commit racketeering
1 day incarceration (deemed served)
2 years of supervised release with the first 6 months to be served in home detention; $10,000 fine

Felicity HUFFMAN - Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud
14 days in prison
1 year of supervised release; 250 hours of community service; $30,000 fine

Devin SLOANE - Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud
4 months in prison
2 years of supervised release; 500 hours of community service; Fine of $95,000

Gordon CAPLAN - Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud
1 month in prison
1 year of supervised release; 250 hours of community service; Fine of $50,000

Agustin HUNEEUS Jr. - Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud
5 months in prison
2 years of supervised release; 500 hours of community service; Fine of $100,000

Investigations of College Admissions and Testing Bribery Scheme

Gregory ABBOTT - 10/8/19 at 2:30 pm – Sentencing hearing before Judge Talwani.
Marcia ABBOTT - 10/8/19 at 2:30 pm – Sentencing hearing before Judge Talwani

The Abbotts pleaded guilty to paying $125,000 to Rick Singer, the admissions scam’s ringleader, so that someone would correct their daughter Helena’s ACT and SAT test scores.

“Please accept the following as coming straight from my heart, written without any outside assistance,” Greg said in a letter to Judge Talwani. “Despite the several ‘consultants’ who solicited me insisting I needed them, the following words are totally my own, as they should be.”

In the letter he insisted he was "not propping up an undeserving kid for my own narcissistic ambition," but felt compelled to help his daughter get into college because "tenuous as it was, it was my only connection to her at the time."

Helena suffers from Lyme disease and took classes online because she couldn’t attend high school. That meant standardized test results were key to getting her admitted to Duke University, where Marcia had graduated from, *advertiser censored* laude. But Helena scored so low on the PSAT that a significant increase on her SAT would have raised questions.

Through a friend, the Abbotts met Singer, who assured them he could solve the family’s problems by cooking up a high ACT score for Helena. It didn't take long for the Abbotts to realize that working with Singer involved cheating. They did it anyway.

“I should have walked away, but by then I saw him as a lifeline, and was afraid of what might happen to my daughter if I backed out,” Marcia said in a letter to the judge. Greg wrote, "Our marriage was dysfunctional and full of vitriol to the point of paralysis. Shame on us for not rising above it for the sake of the daughter we both believe in and adore."

Two days before Helena took the ACT, Greg sent $50,000 from his family foundation to a sham charity controlled by Singer, who used some of the money to bribe a corrupt test administrator and the proctor who corrected Helena’s answers. She scored 35 out of a possible 36.

The parents repeated the process for Helena’s SAT II subject tests.

“And what would be, the donation be? Because the other one was, what, $50,000?” Marcia asked Singer during a wiretapped phone call.

“It was, I think it was 50. It will be at least 75,” Singer replied.

“Yeah, that’s fine,” Marcia said.

After the College Board was slow to release Helena’s purported SAT scores, Marcia called and threatened to sue.

“Mother is extremely adamant,” a call-center employee wrote. “They [sic] filing a Legal Complaint. She is Soloist in Metropolitan Opera in New York City. The student has a chance to be offered scholarship award but she must apply early and the score is only missing on that application. They want to know reason for the scores being delayed and be contacted as soon as possible.”

Helena Abbott, who evidently didn’t know about the games her parents played to help her into college, wrote to the judge in support of her mother. “She literally breathes hope and positivity into me every day,” the daughter said. She didn’t mention her father.

Upper East Side parents await sentencing in college-admissions case

I am not surprised by the "tone-deaf" issues that are presenting themselves in many of these cases. Most of these defendants have no idea what remorse actually is. They are trying to speak a narrative that doesn't resonate with them, so they use hokey actions to try and justify that they have the ability to be better people. But, it fails. To hear someone come up with a plan where independent school kids play with children who are disabled is a clarion message that demonstrates a severe misunderstanding of their circumstances. It is unfortunate that the judge has gotten this far into lenient sentences because if she hadn't it would be reasonable to give each and every one of these people harsher sentences based on the fact that they are not yet seeing how what they are culpable of is a crime, plain and simple.

Dear Future Defendants, you can pay me for this non-tone-deaf statement. You should say:

I cheated other children and the testing/admissions system.
I was aware that what I had done was wrong but did not stop myself.
I have brought dishonor to my family.
I showed that I had no faith in the abilities of my child.
What I did was use my privilege to obtain more privilege and I realize that my actions were wrong.
I thought I was gaming the system and I was wrong to try to game the system.
I am ready to accept my consequences.
I hope to be a better human being when I have paid my debt to society.
FULL STOP (be quiet and take what the judges gives you as the gift that it is).

Send checks to Kaen. Thanks.

Reminder that Lifetime is running the movie on the scandal this Saturday. We are at a Wedding in the U.S. that day. I'm sure Lifetime will rerun it. I believe they said 8 p.m. A little early to leave the Wedding and get back to the Hotel :D

About The College Admissions Scandal | Lifetime

...The College Admissions Scandal follows two wealthy mothers, Caroline (Miller), a sought after interior designer and Bethany (Kirshner), an owner of a successful financial services firm, who share an obsession with getting their teenagers into the best possible college. When charismatic college admissionsconsultant Rick Singer (Michael Shanks,Stargate: Atlantis, Saving Hope) offers a side door into the prestigious institutions of their dreams, Caroline and Bethany willingly partake with visions of coveted acceptance letters in their heads. But when Singer cooperates with the FBI and pleads guilty, the mothers who risked everything for their kids, must face the consequences of their crimes and the loss of trust and respect from their families...

The Abbott's are schedule to be sentenced today. Here is their brief background:

3 more wealthy parents plead guilty to paying bribes for better ACT, SAT scores in college scandal

The Abbott's daughter took the ACT at the West Hollywood Center in Los Angeles on April 13, 2018. She was joined by Riddell, who had flown in from Florida to be the proctor, and Igor Dvorskiy, who was the test administrator and allegedly another co-conspirator. Riddell has pleaded guilty to charges and Dvorskiy has pleaded not guilty.

The Abbott's $50,000 payment was wired to Singer's sham nonprofit The Key Worldwide Foundation around the same time. Prosecutors say three days later, Singer paid $20,000 to Dvorskiy and $20,000 to Riddell to cover $10,000 rates to work with the Abbott's daughter.

“I wasn’t aware of the arrangements made with the proctor and administrator," Gregory Abbott said. "I understand the rest.”

In phone calls with Singer, Marcia Abbott, 59, that summer started inquiring about having Riddell correct answers for her daughter's SAT subject exams because her daughter didn't think she had performed well in the tests taken so far.

Marcia Abbott agreed to proceed in a Sept. 4, 2018 phone conversation with Singer:

Singer: "Good thing that she did this for the ACT, ’cause her score was not
exceptional."

Marcia Abbott: "What? Excuse me what’d you say?

Singer: "I said it was a good thing that we did it for the first test."

Marcia Abbott: "Oh yeah, my gosh, I mean, I’m sure her — you kidding me? She was gonna throw up like every single drug in the world for mono and lyme [disease]. I’m sure it was a disaster."

Singer: "She got, she got a 23."

Marcia Abbott: "Yeah, that would be what I would have guessed at, 25, you know. So yeah, I mean, yeah, I don’t know. We’ll see how she does on the math. But she herself even says she doesn’t have high hopes for English Lit."

She said Duke University didn't want anything below a 750 out of 800. In a separate phone call later that month, Singer said, “We’ll get 750 and above,” to which, according to court documents, Marcia Abbot replied, “That’s fabulous.”

The Abbott's daughter, Riddell and Dvorskiy returned to the West Hollywood center on Oct. 6, 2018 for the SAT subject exams. She scored an 800 out of a possible 800 on the math subject test and 710 on the literature subject test. Singer told the Abbotts she scored in the mid-600s on her own.

I am not surprised by the "tone-deaf" issues that are presenting themselves in many of these cases. Most of these defendants have no idea what remorse actually is. They are trying to speak a narrative that doesn't resonate with them, so they use hokey actions to try and justify that they have the ability to be better people. But, it fails. To hear someone come up with a plan where independent school kids play with children who are disabled is a clarion message that demonstrates a severe misunderstanding of their circumstances. It is unfortunate that the judge has gotten this far into lenient sentences because if she hadn't it would be reasonable to give each and every one of these people harsher sentences based on the fact that they are not yet seeing how what they are culpable of is a crime, plain and simple.

Dear Future Defendants, you can pay me for this non-tone-deaf statement. You should say:

I cheated other children and the testing/admissions system.
I was aware that what I had done was wrong but did not stop myself.
I have brought dishonor to my family.
I showed that I had no faith in the abilities of my child.
What I did was use my privilege to obtain more privilege and I realize that my actions were wrong.
I thought I was gaming the system and I was wrong to try to game the system.
I am ready to accept my consequences.
I hope to be a better human being when I have paid my debt to society.
FULL STOP (be quiet and take what the judges gives you as the gift that it is).

Send checks to Kaen. Thanks.

Luv this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members