Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris Villani
@ChrisVillani44

PJ Sartorio ties Felicity Huffman for the smallest bribe amount paid. As in Huffman's case, the gov't is asking for 1 month in prison and the defendant is asking for probation. Huffman got 2 weeks, as you may recall.

Chris Villani
@ChrisVillani44

Asst. US Atty Kristen Kearney said Sartorio "shouldn't get a discount just because he isn't as wealthy or as well known as his codefendants." Whether a defendant is a millionaire 100 times over, or just a few times over, it's still a serious crime, she said.

Chris Villani
@ChrisVillani44

Sartorio's lawyer says his client is not a repeat player, was a passive participant in the scheme & did not involve his child, plus he was the 1st to plead guilty. Sartorio is the last parent (who has pled guilty) who may have a shot to escape prison time, but we shall see.

Chris Villani
@ChrisVillani44

Sartorio: "I recognize what I did was wrong. I offer no excuses, theres no justifications for those actions." Choking up slightly, he adds, "This had nothing to do with my daughter, this is 100 percent about me ... I own it"

Chris Villani
@ChrisVillani44

The fact that Sartorio paid in cash may help him, Judge Talwani says it shows that, even though he committed a crime, "you're not fooling yourself or anyone else about it."

Chris Villani
@ChrisVillani44

Burrito magnate PJ Sartorio becomes the first "Varsity Blues" parent to escape prison time, he gets 1 year of probation and 250 hours of community service & a $9,500 fine.
Wow! That’s what I call lucky! I guess there’s rich and then there’s RICH? I know i’m Not rich but I also don’t have $15,000 to pay for test scores. Lucky if I can come up with that for tuition. So maybe i’m poor but not POOR. Moo

Chris Villani
@ChrisVillani44

PJ Sartorio ties Felicity Huffman for the smallest bribe amount paid. As in Huffman's case, the gov't is asking for 1 month in prison and the defendant is asking for probation. Huffman got 2 weeks, as you may recall.

Chris Villani
@ChrisVillani44

Asst. US Atty Kristen Kearney said Sartorio "shouldn't get a discount just because he isn't as wealthy or as well known as his codefendants." Whether a defendant is a millionaire 100 times over, or just a few times over, it's still a serious crime, she said.

Chris Villani
@ChrisVillani44

Sartorio's lawyer says his client is not a repeat player, was a passive participant in the scheme & did not involve his child, plus he was the 1st to plead guilty. Sartorio is the last parent (who has pled guilty) who may have a shot to escape prison time, but we shall see.

Chris Villani
@ChrisVillani44

Sartorio: "I recognize what I did was wrong. I offer no excuses, theres no justifications for those actions." Choking up slightly, he adds, "This had nothing to do with my daughter, this is 100 percent about me ... I own it"

Chris Villani
@ChrisVillani44

The fact that Sartorio paid in cash may help him, Judge Talwani says it shows that, even though he committed a crime, "you're not fooling yourself or anyone else about it."

Chris Villani
@ChrisVillani44

Burrito magnate PJ Sartorio becomes the first "Varsity Blues" parent to escape prison time, he gets 1 year of probation and 250 hours of community service & a $9,500 fine.

But why, someone help me out here.... why does paying cash make him look less guilty? I would say the opposite, as in, cash would be less or even untraceable. Versus a check or credit card. Like when someone pays an employee cash and doesn’t report it or pay taxes on it.

In case you missed it last night, Lifetime's The College Admissions Scandal will be featured tonight at 10:00PM (Eastern). I watched it last night and was not impressed: C+.
Has anyone seen this yet, just wondering if it’s worth watching. I do have it set to record for tonight.

The most ridiculous moments from Lifetime's 'College Admissions Scandal' movie

Saturday's true crime film cast Mia Kirshner as a Loughlin stand-in and Penelope Ann Miller as a Huffman type in a film that tracks the scandal from the two parents' initial relationship with mastermind "college admissions consultant" Rick Singer (Michael Shanks), the only character who retains the real name of his inspiration, to the day the FBI came calling. "
Everyone is so, so dumb
When the real scandal broke this year, transcripts from the FBI sting operation released to the public included mind-boggling moments of self-incrimination. The Lifetime film couldn't quite make this more ridiculous than it was in real life, but it matches the absurdity with moments of Caroline and Bethany admitting to bribery and fraud on the phone while FBI investigators listen in.

There's a scene in which Yale calls to check on Emma's soccer credentials (that's what her application promises) even though she never played the sport in high school. Rick and Bethany never seemed to predict this and weasel out of it only when Bethany berates the school principal.
When the scheme comes crumbling down, a college counselor who was on the receiving end of one of Bethany's tantrums looks happily on the media coverage. She may as well be one of us, watching the Lifetime movie.

But why, someone help me out here.... why does paying cash make him look less guilty? I would say the opposite, as in, cash would be less or even untraceable. Versus a check or credit card. Like when someone pays an employee cash and doesn’t report it or pay taxes on it.
I was wondering the exact same thing! I don't know if it's a clumsy way of saying that he knew what he did was wrong because he tried to hide it by paying cash? But yes, why would that "help" him? If anything, it makes it look even more deliberate and intentional to hide the fraud.

Felicity Huffman Reports to Prison to Serve 14-Day College Admissions Scandal Sentence

https://people.com/movies/felicity-huffman-reports-to-prison-college-admissions-scandal/

She will be just fine. She will be put in a cell (room? bunk) by herself as she is high profile. Probably provided or allowed to bring books, novel, etc. 14 days is no time and frankly, she is probably ready to just get this behind her. FH regained a bit of my opinion after pleading so quickly and taking (some) responsibility.

She will be just fine. She will be put in a cell (room? bunk) by herself as she is high profile. Probably provided or allowed to bring books, novel, etc. 14 days is no time and frankly, she is probably ready to just get this behind her. FH regained a bit of my opinion after pleading so quickly and taking (some) responsibility.
Totally. It's such a quick sentence and she's home before the end of the month and holidays. It's a short enough time that I really think she can just tell herself she's doing research for a role or getting into a character and embedded for two weeks. She will be fine. If she's so bewildered by motherhood and managing daily life, she can even call it a vacation. :rolleyes:

Felicity Huffman starts serving prison time in college scam

Dublin, Calif. – A representative for Felicity Huffman says the actress has reported to a federal prison in California to serve a two-week sentence in the college admissions scandal.

The Federal Correctional Institution, Dublin is a low-security prison for women in the San Francisco area...

Has anyone seen this yet, just wondering if it’s worth watching. I do have it set to record for tonight.

I watched the movie the night it premiered and gave it a C+ as noted in my above post. I'd recommend the made-for-TV film to anyone who has followed the high-profile scandal so you can see how Lifetime dealt with this ripped-from-the-headlines story. There are some Lifetime movies that I can watch repeatedly; this won't be one of them.

Prison Menu for today - source TMZ

“We've obtained the prison menu ... it's a chicken patty, steamed rice, beans, fruit and a drink for lunch today. Tonight, Felicity will eat pepper steak or lentils, steamed rice, green beans and whole wheat bread. Bon appétit!”

I didn’t know the food was this good in federal prison.

Prison Menu for today - source TMZ

“We've obtained the prison menu ... it's a chicken patty, steamed rice, beans, fruit and a drink for lunch today. Tonight, Felicity will eat pepper steak or lentils, steamed rice, green beans and whole wheat bread. Bon appétit!”

I didn’t know the food was this good in federal prison.

It actually isn't that bad. Lots of carbs though. It is sort of like eating every meal as a school lunch. My issue with "institutional food" is that it just gets gross. There is a "sameness" about it. After awhile, the spaghetti tastes the same as chow mein. I got so tired of military food, I just wanted to have Ramen in my room after awhile. And being forced to socialize at every meal. No, really. "Bond" with people and have cocktail party discussions endlessly. That is torture. Give me solitary confinement any day.

Maybe it's not "looking" less guilty per se which is the problem... maybe it's more like "using a check or different money instrument makes a bank part of your crime, and thus increases the charges"? Cash comes from a bank; but it's not like it's labeled to the naked eye as having come from the Chase Bank down the street.

ETA: "Bank instruments"! That's the phrase I was looking for. A check is a bank instrument.

Last edited:
Desperate Inmate: Felicity Huffman has to make her bed by 6.30am, make do with three pairs of underwear and just one roll of toilet paper as she begins her two week admissions scandal jail sentence

Felicity Huffman starts her sentence at 'cushy Club Fed' | Daily Mail Online

Only having one roll of toilet paper for two weeks seems a little extreme. Will Felicity be able to buy stuff from the commissary in Federal Prison?

I wonder how Lori is feeling about things and whether she has resigned herself to going to prison despite fighting the charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenisaHerdzik